Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve posted:

South American touring car racing is the best, especially how every crash is about five times more serious than it should be because of the magic of South America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwBKcmjn-8g

:stonklol: Did the guy in the wreck at 1:30 get ejected through the front window...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I believe the term you're looking for is "thrown free to safety"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

I believe the term you're looking for is "thrown free to safety"

Just like Gilles

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm not sure driving into the runway of a major metropolitan airport in a sketchy 1980s van for some fuel is the best approach in this crazy post 9/11 world.

go to one of the lovely local airports who specialize in letting human trafficking and drugs thru.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Never heard of Lowndes, but I also didn't know that Montoya was the ultimate pay driver!
https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/lowndes-941729/

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah lets go back to V8s at the very least please.

Aero is one of the most distinguishing things between the cars right now, but yeah if you limited that a bit you could push the engines up.

The current engines are fine.

In fact I think they should go back to the 2014 spec when Ferrari was like a second and a half behind Merc

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We need maximum power, minimal aero. Put some skill back into it instead of making it all pit strategy and whoever gets the most expensive seat.

one car having 20% more horsepower doesn't mean poo poo when everything's 2000hp and it's a matter of how much the driver can actually put down.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Never heard of Lowndes, but I also didn't know that Montoya was the ultimate pay driver!

It was a team owned by Helmut Marko, believe it or not.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Powershift posted:

We need maximum power, minimal aero. Put some skill back into it instead of making it all pit strategy and whoever gets the most expensive seat.

one car having 20% more horsepower doesn't mean poo poo when everything's 2000hp and it's a matter of how much the driver can actually put down.

Yeah, this is a really stupid opinion.

20% off 2000 is 1600 which is a huge power discrepency. No matter how you play it if you open restrictions like this, the teams that can spend the most are still going to win. 2000 hp requires a hugely powerful engine, if you can make that engine lighter and more reliable you're going to win more races and that's assuming you can get there in the first place. Teams that can't make engines are still going to be poo poo outta luck compared to the Ferrari's and Mercedes of the world. Outside of going down the Indy route and making all the cars the same, you straight up aren't making it so the best driver is the guy who wins every race. This doesn't dramatically change until you talk about the ~1000HP mark where the number is within the stratosphere of a company like Renault saying "hey, we might be able to get there!".

To add to that, the difference between the level of driver in the top 8 or 9 wouldn't be that huge; the amount of training they do these days is at a level where flaws get ironed out and mistakes are mostly a mentality thing [ie. attacking a corner too hard to try and get in front of someone else].

I wouldn't mind seeing less aero because we might actually see an overtake for the lead, but realistically you have to go a long way less and by that point you're probably slower than an indycar.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 17, 2017

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAHLRVTWoRU

T-Square needs to be hired to do racing broadcast music again.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

iospace posted:

Just like Gilles

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

SPACE HOMOS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAHLRVTWoRU

T-Square needs to be hired to do racing broadcast music again.

Truth right here

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Guys we need to stop talking about Japanese jazz fusion bands. I'm driving around in my Mazda with this poo poo playing like some jackass pretending I'm the dude in Out Run.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Guys we need to stop talking about Japanese jazz fusion bands. I'm driving around in my Mazda with this poo poo playing like some jackass pretending I'm the dude in Out Run.

Did you really get through all 15 Fattburger albums?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Guys help I'm rethinking oval racing. It might actually be cool and good (even if the various championships have bad rules and the broadcasts too many ads)

I did some stock car stuff in iRacing last night and it was therapeutic and fun. Lapping around in a hot pink V8 and pretending not to speak English when serious business racers crash into me and get mad is good.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Carth Dookie posted:

Guys help I'm rethinking oval racing. It might actually be cool and good (even if the various championships have bad rules and the broadcasts too many ads)

I did some stock car stuff in iRacing last night and it was therapeutic and fun. Lapping around in a hot pink V8 and pretending not to speak English when serious business racers crash into me and get mad is good.

Open wheel oval racing is the only acceptable type of oval racing, sorry. No stock cars.

:frogout:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

You're saying this like living the bougie '80s Japanese dream is a bad thing.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Sorry to do this but you also need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKOekWuzk3o

Next illogical step is eurobeat https://youtu.be/eUuMECDQprM

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 18, 2017

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Toro Rosso Honda motor deal has fallen through

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Lowndes is one of the best touring car drivers in the history of Australian motorsport, he had a brief fling at F3000 when he was young to try to become the next Australian WDC but Montoya completely killed him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
to make an American comparison Lowndes is more or less the Australian Jeff Gordon

e) I think he's still the driver with the most race wins, which is remarkable because he wasted five years of his prime both with the F3000 attempt, and the awful Gibson/00 Motorsport and early-days Ford Performance Racing rides he had

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 18, 2017

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Im gonna do a 2013 force india scheme for my kart, and call it force indiana.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 18, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I hope the paint is cheap at least.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
F3000 is where careers went to die.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Montoya's 2nd in F3000 puts him in league with Ricardo Rosset, F3000 runner-up in 1994, and also one of the worst F1 drivers I have ever seen

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Montoya's 2nd in F3000 puts him in league with Ricardo Rosset, F3000 runner-up in 1994, and also one of the worst F1 drivers I have ever seen

It must be said that was before the Spec Formula. I think he benefitted from better equipment.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rosset was really bad though. He belonged in the late-80s trash era but was a decade late.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Rosset's two contributions to F1 were smashing into absolutely everyone at the Spa 1998 pileup, and this commentary from Martin Brundle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-7y1_cju4c&t=87s

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

F3000 is where careers went to die.

It's where you went if you wanted a gig in the states.

Seeing a lot of IRL and CART talent in the fields per wikipedia.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think Rosset's two contributions to F1 were smashing into absolutely everyone at the Spa 1998 pileup, and this commentary from Martin Brundle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-7y1_cju4c&t=87s

That was such a joke. He had time to stop.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tons of future touring car and sportscar guys as well. Zonta (FIA GT champ) won the year Montoya finished second, and I think Kristensen was in the field that year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gil de Ferran going to CART as opposed to Forti (iirc) was pretty wise, in retrospect.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's an explanation but famously until Lewis Hamilton no F3000/GP2 champ had ever become a WDC (it's because the really promising F3000/GP2 youngsters got picked up by F1 teams really quickly)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't it F3ish series-F1 for a good while?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Trying to see if British F3 was arguably still as strong of a series that year and I think no, though Mark Webber was in there.

I think 1991 was the last year of British F3 being arguably the premier feeder formula, with a top 3 of Rubens Barrichello, David Coulthard, and Gil de Ferran. Rickard Rydell, who was no slouch, was 6th.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think like 6 F3000 drivers won races. Feels I need you to confirm. Was it Alesi, Herbert, Montoya, Hill....I'm forgetting the others.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 18, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah I wonder if like the really promising guys got picked from British F3 immediately, and the guys not good enough for that graduated to F3000, which is why F3000 was always a weird "feeder" series that didn't seem to actually turn out that many great drivers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think like 6 F3000 drivers won races. Feels I need you to confirm. Was it Alesi, Herbert, Montoya, Hill....I'm forgetting the others.

Mark Webber, definitely. And IIRC Fernando Alonso won GPs

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Gil de Ferran going to CART as opposed to Forti (iirc) was pretty wise, in retrospect.

Kenny Brack finished 2nd in the championship in 1996 Wound up driving for AJ Foyt, Winning the IRL title in 1998, Winning the Indy 500 in 1999 and had a decent OWR career up until some freak crash in 2003.

(He's still alive thankfully. met him at IMS this year.. He's Ericcson's manager btw)

Also funny aside? Met Stefan Johannson at the same event. Dude has almost a scottish/english accent and yeah it was kinda amusing. Cool guy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

Kenny Brack finished 2nd in the championship in 1996 Wound up driving for AJ Foyt, Winning the IRL title in 1998, Winning the Indy 500 in 1999 and had a decent OWR career up until some freak crash in 2003.

(He's still alive thankfully. met him at IMS this year.. He's Ericcson's manager btw)

Also funny aside? Met Stefan Johannson at the same event. Dude has almost a scottish/english accent and yeah it was kinda amusing. Cool guy though.

Johansson spent some time in the UK. He was pretty promising at one point. My dads company sponsored him, and then he killed Jeff Krosnoff.

• Locked thread