Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I feel like the game expects you to understand buffs/debuffs by the later palaces, especially on the boss fights so it's a good idea to learn to use them early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

SMT and by extension Persona is a series where buffs are incredibly powerful and worth your time.

The difference between an unbuffed and buffed attack is immediately tangible, you just weren't paying close enough attention.

You're right, but I'm definitely going to keep them in mind from now on.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Buffs and debuffs are really important in this game, and they work on anything. Particularly, using the Suku- series of accuracy/evasion buffs and debuffs can save your life; if you have Sukukaja active on your allies and Sukunda active on your foes, you might notice your foes whiffing their attacks and spells quite often. You don't have to spend turns or SP/item resources healing if you aren't taking damage!

Status effect moves are great in regular (and sometimes mini-boss) encounters as well; they actually tend to have a pretty high chance of landing on enemies that aren't weak to any elements, so consider them.

Also, when you get better ranks of moves and/or need to replace old skills on your teammates, it's almost always going to be better to discard weaker attacks if you're getting access to stronger ones. I used to think otherwise because I figured it'd be more SP efficient to use the weakest spells, but I was only screwing myself over.

I actually used the status effect stuff quite a bit, mostly Ann's sleep move, particularly with those 4 groups that pop up before the tower.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Cnidaria posted:

I feel like the game expects you to understand buffs/debuffs by the later palaces, especially on the boss fights so it's a good idea to learn to use them early.
SMT games tend to have bosses later in the game who just spam Megidolaon several times a turn, which will wipe you unless you have Marakukaja on your party and/or Tarunda on the boss. Or yeah, (Ma)Sukukaja/Sukunda.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

screaden posted:

I leaned pretty heavily on melee during that first palace because I felt like it was too easy to burn through all your SP. I ended up doing the whole thing in two parts (not including the calling card section). I didn't really use any buff/debuff stuff until the final fight but even then I don't know how much it really affected the outcome. My typical strategy for these ones is to avoid that stuff entirely in favour of pure damage dealing, but I'll keep that in mind for later

That's pretty much how it works. Pure damage will be your bread-and-butter for most of the game, buffs/debuffs are a little expensive and a waste of time outside of boss fights. In boss fights they do good.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

SMT games tend to have bosses later in the game who just spam Megidolaon several times a turn, which will wipe you unless you have Marakukaja on your party and/or Tarunda on the boss. Or yeah, (Ma)Sukukaja/Sukunda.

IMHO it's why the optional secret NG+ bosses are bad in all the SMT titles. Yes, it's winnable but you need to fuse a special persona and follow very rigid guide or you lose.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Well, there's one thing really worth seeing about the one in P5 but you can just see that on Youtube...

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I just downloaded a really cool msg app for my android phone that emulates the IM app from P5 really drat well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ngreenan.persona5imapp&hl=en

Doesn't support MMS or group chat yet but word is the creator is working on it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

IMHO it's why the optional secret NG+ bosses are bad in all the SMT titles. Yes, it's winnable but you need to fuse a special persona and follow very rigid guide or you lose.

I didn't have this issue with either P4 Golden or P5.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I've only beaten DeSu1's and P5's bonus bosses, but P5's is far and away probably the best bonus fight for actually being kind of flexible and not forcing you to do stupid poo poo like bring Cielo and make sure everyone's asleep every nth turn to survive the insta-kill party wipe.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

I've only beaten DeSu1's and P5's bonus bosses, but P5's is far and away probably the best bonus fight for actually being kind of flexible and not forcing you to do stupid poo poo like bring Cielo and make sure everyone's asleep every nth turn to survive the insta-kill party wipe.

I don't remember Margaret being that bad, either.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

She's really easy in vanilla and a lot harder in Golden.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I just downloaded a really cool msg app for my android phone that emulates the IM app from P5 really drat well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ngreenan.persona5imapp&hl=en

Doesn't support MMS or group chat yet but word is the creator is working on it.

Don't do it, op. They're harvesting your data for Russia/NSA. I've protected myself by never owning a smartphone and instead using my Nokia from the 90s which doesn't support texting.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Alder posted:

Don't do it, op. They're harvesting your data for Russia/NSA. I've protected myself by never owning a smartphone and instead using my Nokia from the 90s which doesn't support texting.

I'll just have to steal their hearts.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I can browse fusions by result rather than randomly clicking my personas? I can choose which abilities get passed on? I can just give abilities to personas using items? :pusheen:

Also are there no sidequests in this game? Not that it's a great loss since they were all poo poo but it gave you a reason to talk to your classmates.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There aren't numbered sidequests like there were in 4 that you just find out in the world, no. The side things in this one are all tied to Mementos

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

CJ posted:

I can browse fusions by result rather than randomly clicking my personas? I can choose which abilities get passed on? I can just give abilities to personas using items? :pusheen:

Welcome to modern SMT games, they're so much more user friendly.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Maybe i haven't being paying attention, but do you not get random confidant points from scripted events like pop quizes any more? I was waiting for Ryuji to get some at some point so i didn't waste a day without levelling up but gave up and just ate the wasted day.

EDIT: Also how do i check the weather?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CJ posted:

Maybe i haven't being paying attention, but do you not get random confidant points from scripted events like pop quizes any more? I was waiting for Ryuji to get some at some point so i didn't waste a day without levelling up but gave up and just ate the wasted day.

Ryuji isn't even in your class, and I don't think Ann cares how smart you are.

I think the weather is only shown on the loading screen? It doesn't really affect anything in this one because this is Tokyo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Weather just affects Mementos and a few stat upgrade opportunities.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Weather definitely impacts things

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

NRVNQSR posted:

Ryuji isn't even in your class, and I don't think Ann cares how smart you are.

I think the weather is only shown on the loading screen? It doesn't really affect anything in this one because this is Tokyo.

Didn't you get points for random interactions in the story though? And lunch and stuff. I remember trying to balance it so that i leveled up social links when they were ready so i didn't waste the free points and waiting around for free points to push me over the level up threshold.

So far it affects studying and the bathhouse according to the tooltips.

Also, i like the ask the audience feature, it's just a shame it doesn't have it for social link responses because that's the one thing i use a guide for.

CJ fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 31, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Norns posted:

Weather definitely impacts things

Yeah it definitely does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsMeavnp2rs

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arist posted:

Weather just affects Mementos and a few stat upgrade opportunities.

The Fortune confidant isn't available when it's raining (or if she is, I couldn't find her).

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

CJ posted:

There's This website which has a weather calendar (sorry I know it's called libertariangamer but it's the only place I can find with a weather calendar and you don't have to read the rest of the site) but there's otherwise no way to check the weather forecast in game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Arcsech posted:

The Fortune confidant isn't available when it's raining (or if she is, I couldn't find her).

Quite a few confidants might not be available in the rain.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
So how am i meant to capture these low level personas i missed if i now 1 shot them even when using a level 2 persona? Bit of a flaw in the new system.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

CJ posted:

So how am i meant to capture these low level personas i missed if i now 1 shot them even when using a level 2 persona? Bit of a flaw in the new system.

Get Ryuji's Confidant to rank 7 and get an ambush, or get the Tower Confidant to rank 1.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
or fuse them

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Fusion is pretty easy. If you're looking for a low level magician, for instance, the next two tiers of magician will fuse a lower level one.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

CJ posted:

In Mementos. Just hit them from behind and the mask is added automatically. Low Level Personas are usually in the first levels.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Fusion is pretty easy. If you're looking for a low level magician, for instance, the next two tiers of magician will fuse a lower level one.
https://i.imgur.com/2JrU4f6.mp4

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh balls I forgot to get SP drinks for my first palace infiltration (despite having gotten everything else necessary). How long will I last in the Dungeon before I need to retreat?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
My first time through the first dungeon I had to break up my infiltration across four different days. The big thing holding you back is lack of being able to use Baton Pass to have the rest of your team share the burden of hitting foe weaknesses.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Grouchio posted:

Oh balls I forgot to get SP drinks for my first palace infiltration (despite having gotten everything else necessary). How long will I last in the Dungeon before I need to retreat?

What difficulty are you on? I managed to do it in one day despite using most of my SP by the half way point. Just use physical attacks for weaker enemies and use the mana and bullets to trigger all out attacks for large groups. You get some SP when you level up which should just barely be enough to get through it if you play smart.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I have a bit of a spoiler-y question. I'd heard that there was a way to get a bad ending and lose out on about 20 hours of gameplay and I'm wondering if I just passed it. I get the feeling that you can gently caress up Sae's interrogation and miss out on Shido's palace, but on the other hand, I'm almost at the end date and there are still social links that advance automatically and have not progressed to level 10 (like Morgana and Sae, maybe Igor). I had also heard that Mementos got more important toward the end, which would make a lot of sense considering Morgana's situation, but I haven't seen anything special yet.

Typing this post made me realize that I'm most probably wrong and still haven't reached that bad non-ending. Anything I should know in order to avoid it? I'd appreciate as much of a spoilerless answer as possible, but I honestly don't mind if you absolutely have to share something important, I'm getting kind of annoyed at the story.

I might dabble in New Game +, but probably not for another 100 hours anytime soon, so I'd rather see as much of the game as possible on my first go.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

It'll be obvious what to do to continue with the game, don't worry.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CordlessPen posted:

Typing this post made me realize that I'm most probably wrong and still haven't reached that bad non-ending. Anything I should know in order to avoid it? I'd appreciate as much of a spoilerless answer as possible, but I honestly don't mind if you absolutely have to share something important, I'm getting kind of annoyed at the story.

As a rule it never hurts to keep multiple saves. But no, you don't really need to know anything; 5 is much more obvious and up-front about it than 3 and 4 were.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CJ posted:

What difficulty are you on? I managed to do it in one day despite using most of my SP by the half way point. Just use physical attacks for weaker enemies and use the mana and bullets to trigger all out attacks for large groups. You get some SP when you level up which should just barely be enough to get through it if you play smart.
Normal I think. Can I really do it?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

just do it over several days, I did it in two and even then I was fighting some things with no SP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Grouchio posted:

Normal I think. Can I really do it?

I mean i did it on Normal so yeah. My friend did it on Hard but i'm not sure what he did to prepare beforehand.

Before going in i bought the upgraded melee weapon for Ryuji pretty arbitrarily and i got an upgraded weapon for Joker at some point which i think was scripted. Dia heals for 50 HP or so, and costs 3 sp so you can figure out from there how valuable letting an enemy hit you once rather than casting spells on it is, and how cost efficient physical attacks are. Get a physical attacker on Joker and only use bullets to down flying enemies and it's doable. I didn't even use my healing items because i'm one of those broke brains who hates using consumables.