Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Maybe if more people knew they really were a bothersome idiot, they would get better about it.

Pffffft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

LethalGeek posted:

It took years but someone finally hosed up the "mute the phone and laugh at the user" stunt and my boss just gave everyone actually in the office an earful. She told me after the fact hey some user came in "crying that the felt like everyone thinks they're an idiot and a bother" to her today after overhearing those chuckle heads well probably saying they are an idiot and a bother cause we have some people who really are. Course you're not supposed to write this down or say it outloud lol.

You can say it out loud if you in fact are not also an idiot. I worked helpdesk for 2 years answering calls and we often regaled each other with tails of stupid users, but made sure we were actually on mute because, you know, we aren't the idiots.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I'll just stick with half of 160170.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just stick to ridiculous faces and gestures. Those are always safe until we go to 100% video conferencing.

There's no reason to trust a cheap phone with your career.

I like this one:
:jerkbag:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just stick to ridiculous faces and gestures. Those are always safe until we go to 100% video conferencing.

There's no reason to trust a cheap phone with your career.

I like this one:
:jerkbag:

I dunno we had expensive headsets, also it's easy to tell if you're muted or not when you have more than 10 brain cells. In 2 years I never had an incident.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Back when I did 911 one of the dispatchers got in trouble over this. She was taking a stolen vehicle call and the caller had a thick accent. For the color of the car she said "BOOGUNDY" and at one point the dispatcher put her on Mute and said "boogundy boogundy boogundy" and the caller said "What? Who is saying 'boogundy boogundy?'"

I call doing this "back talk" and I've always advised people to never do it. Partly because the caller might hear, but also because your coworkers might not want to hear your bitching.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MF_James posted:

You can say it out loud if you in fact are not also an idiot. I worked helpdesk for 2 years answering calls and we often regaled each other with tails of stupid users, but made sure we were actually on mute because, you know, we aren't the idiots.

*tales

MF_James
May 8, 2008

lol, yup, owned, leaving for posterity.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

What if all of his clients are geckos?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I usually end up screaming gently caress after getting off the phone with an imbecile. While the line is open I am impeccably polite

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I had my mute button on my headset fail me, but thankfully I was simply taking a piss during a long rear end late conference call/upgrade not running my mouth to a user. The light on the mic was on which means I had muted it but something simply went wrong and lol oops.

Course that's why you just keep your mouth shut until the phone is actually off.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Fool posted:

I have run into that as a users password in the wild.

e: brb, changing password to 0118 999 881 99 9119 7253

4 8 15 16 23 42

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Back when I did 911 one of the dispatchers got in trouble over this. She was taking a stolen vehicle call and the caller had a thick accent. For the color of the car she said "BOOGUNDY" and at one point the dispatcher put her on Mute and said "boogundy boogundy boogundy" and the caller said "What? Who is saying 'boogundy boogundy?'"

I call doing this "back talk" and I've always advised people to never do it. Partly because the caller might hear, but also because your coworkers might not want to hear your bitching.

This is excellent advice and everyone should heed it.

mewse posted:

I usually end up screaming gently caress after getting off the phone with an imbecile. While the line is open I am impeccably polite

I've been known to take a walk after a particularly stressful call or interaction with a customer/user. It really helps.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

LethalGeek posted:

It took years but someone finally hosed up the "mute the phone and laugh at the user" stunt and my boss just gave everyone actually in the office an earful. She told me after the fact hey some user came in "crying that the felt like everyone thinks they're an idiot and a bother" to her today after overhearing those chuckle heads well probably saying they are an idiot and a bother cause we have some people who really are. Course you're not supposed to write this down or say it outloud lol.

Best to treat all microphones as hot, all the time. The best way to learn this is to listen to someone else's career-ending hot mike mistake as it happens.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Agrikk posted:

4 8 15 16 23 42

I also did this until I sang it.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
:yotj:

Finally ditched my dead-end helpdesk job and got a legit level 2 support role. Work-from-home, small team, and actually working alongside a former coworker of mine who I know is very competent.
It's a sinking ship at my former workplace. Four of the most senior agents have resigned in the span of a month (from a team of 20) and the bosses won't hire anyone full time, and they won't bring on contractor for more than a pittance, so we're not being replaced by people who are technically capable. The last contractor they hired was making barely over 25k, fresh off a CS degree. He found a job within a month that doubled his salary, took it and ran.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Good job!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's a literal cricket in our warehouse area and it's driving the inventory guy slowly mad.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Villains! Dissemble no more! I admit the deed- tear up the planks! Here, here! It is the cheeping of its hideous legs!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mewse posted:

that is me with my customers at my current job

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Villains! Dissemble no more! I admit the deed- tear up the planks! Here, here! It is the cheeping of its hideous legs!

:golfclap:

(my head cannon has the cricket plaintively chirping from behind a freshly mortared brick wall)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MF_James posted:

I dunno we had expensive headsets, also it's easy to tell if you're muted or not when you have more than 10 brain cells. In 2 years I never had an incident.
So our bosses start flushing money at the end of the fiscal year like it's 3 day old diarrhea but for some loving reason won't buy us $20 headsets.
One of them started bitching at me the other day for using my speakerphone in the office while I was working with a vendor to fix some poo poo that was down because it makes it difficult for him to hear his CNN news stories.
...okay
To solve the problem I bought this for $6 and I'm gonna plug in my personal headphones and personal mic, problem solved.

HAHAHA I'm just kidding. I'm gonna pipe that poo poo into my desk speakers and blast the fucker so they can hear me in the goddamn basement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4dkBF5anU

oh yeah, that's the stuff.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

18 Character Limit posted:

Best to treat all microphones as hot, all the time. The best way to learn this is to listen to someone else's career-ending hot mike mistake as it happens.

https://twitter.com/bea_ker/status/700161865192615936?lang=en

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic posted:

So today I had the joyous task of cleaning this up:

Only the switch and router were actually being replaced, but I ended up with this whole giant box of useless junk that had just accreted in a tangled pile under the desk of a period of I'm guessing at least a decade.

Update: This was a network refresh job with a switchover to a new modem/router/switch where we were supposed to do a bunch of different locations. They were supposed to be 4-hour jobs so you could do 2 in a day.

lol.

The first one took me most of a day.

The company subcontracting us to do this even flew up a tech of theirs who'd done some already, the idea being he'd know the drill and be able to show us all the tricks.

lol.

The guy they flew up to work with me for the first one on Monday, it turned out, had done one (1) switchover, and he told me he'd basically been watching that one and hadn't done much of the work himself. He knew about as much as I did from just reading over their requirements/procedure doc over the weekend. Apart from being a second set of hands on site he was pretty useless.

The doc they gave us to work with was terrible in all sorts of ways. The main one being that it's overly verbose and redundantly lists a bunch of things multiple times but doesn't list all the essential steps each time. For example, there's a step by step guide for the actual cutover to the new internet connection in two different places in the doc, but in the first list there's a couple essential steps omitted. Yeah. So if you're flipping through this massive doc looking for the cutover procedure and stop at the first time it's listed, you'll miss that nothing will work if you don't fully power cycle the new router first.

And the list of tools you're supposed to need for the job right at the beginning is missing a bunch of things like a USB keyboard, a 10-foot ladder, a drill, and mounting screws.

We were supposed to do two of them on monday and the first one took basically all day.

I did another by myself on tuesday and it took me about 6 hours because the existing setup at every site is a complete and utter rat-king of cables that hasn't been so much as dusted in a decade, and I was still getting confused by the awful documentation.

I felt less bad about taking more than the quoted time for these when I heard that the tech we subcontracted to do one of the out-of-town ones on Wednesday basically panicked and bailed on a half-done job without finishing it because he just couldn't even. One of our sales guys took a half-day off sick time after wrangling the fallout from that.

:toot:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Some good advice on hot mics. But of course I was guilty of not following it when I was on help desk. I would never trust the light though and would blow into the (headset) mic before doing any kind of sass. Still not a great idea.

Dick Trauma posted:

Back when I did 911

I knew there was a cover up

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I totally forgot to mention, we did a company Zoom videoconference meeting a month back and someone working from home unwittingly joined the conference with video turned on, wearing no shirt, complete goon physique, in front of 400 employees. Took us like 10 seconds to find him alphabetically in the list and remove him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

myron cope posted:

I knew there was a cover up

Well, he does abuse tall erections...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's the good poo poo right there

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

I totally forgot to mention, we did a company Zoom videoconference meeting a month back and someone working from home unwittingly joined the conference with video turned on, wearing no shirt, complete goon physique, in front of 400 employees. Took us like 10 seconds to find him alphabetically in the list and remove him.

This, with Google Hangout's propensity for "enable the camera by default every time you join a call", is why literally the first thing I do with any new computer is add duct tape.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MF_James posted:

It's especially fun when you talk shop with your own external support, I know the whole team and I distinctly remember talking to a guy who mentioned while multitasking "Yeah I was just with some guy whining about a lovely windows issue"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

IT Company-wide Email posted:

Subject: SYSTEM
Body: We are currently experiencing system issues. We are working on determining cause.

Thanks for the notice! Good to keep us informed!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

This, with Google Hangout's propensity for "enable the camera by default every time you join a call", is why literally the first thing I do with any new computer is add duct tape.

Duct tape leaves nasty residue over the camera and bezel. Blue painter's tape is where it's at.

It's not completely opaque, so when video does come on, they see a blue screen, so at least you know you're sending video.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just have my camera turned towards the ceiling whenever it's not in use.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

mewse posted:

Yeah this is what I do, while hanging up by repeatedly slamming the handset into the receiver. I got mildly burned pretty early on babysitting a vendor working on a production server after-hours. After a while he was trying to end the work and have someone pick it up in the morning, and basically my only jobs were to make sure he didn't open anything that looked sketchy and not let them stop working until it's done.

I accidentally wound up un-muting my mic (thought I was muting) when I went to get the only manager left in the building to complain that this guy clearly has no clue and is just trying to push this off on the morning crew.

No bad fallout from it, but I felt bad, it wasn't the vendor tech's fault things were hosed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I just have my camera turned towards the ceiling whenever it's not in use.

I disabled the laptop's built-in camera in Device Manager. Prevents most accidental use.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MANime in the sheets posted:

Yeah this is what I do, while hanging up by repeatedly slamming the handset into the receiver. I got mildly burned pretty early on babysitting a vendor working on a production server after-hours. After a while he was trying to end the work and have someone pick it up in the morning, and basically my only jobs were to make sure he didn't open anything that looked sketchy and not let them stop working until it's done.

I accidentally wound up un-muting my mic (thought I was muting) when I went to get the only manager left in the building to complain that this guy clearly has no clue and is just trying to push this off on the morning crew.

No bad fallout from it, but I felt bad, it wasn't the vendor tech's fault things were hosed.

I just remembered I hosed up on not muting a mic a few jobs ago.

Was a PACS/RIS support tech and some system admin at one of our clients decided that 4pm on a friday was the ideal time to update his windows servers with whatever patches were released that week. One of the patches hosed up his system so he had to call into our support. I walked over to my boss with my mic still on my head and said something along the lines of, what kind of idiot sys admin runs windows updates on a production server at 4pm on a friday?!

I had to hand off the call to someone else because I was off at 4 and no OT what so ever. I got a little talking to from my boss that following morning about just making sure to be on mute if I'm going to poo poo talk the clients, but nothing major happened thankfully.

But really, what kind of idiot admin do you have to be to run windows updates on a production server(all our clients had test servers they were supposed to test patches with first), on 4pm, on a friday!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My problem isn't with having to mute my mic, but that I sit diagonally across from the HR person's office. So I can't hang up on someone and then refer to them as a "fuckin' shitcunt."

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I always close my office door if I'm calling vendor support because I don't want the people around my office to know my true nature on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I don't tape over my laptop camera because I don't sit out walk around naked in front of it, this seems like the simplest solution.

• Locked thread