Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I am just so, so glad that they don't have the Sonic 2 special stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Fedule posted:

what is happening

Strafe-running, pretty much. Jumping sideways makes you go really fast lol.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Reminds me of diagonal bunny-hopping in Quake :getin:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Fedule posted:

what is happening

he's bunny hopping

strafe jumping

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Not a Children posted:

I am just so, so glad that they don't have the Sonic 2 special stages.

Same. 1 and 2's are so bad and annoying to even get into, let alone complete. Taxman's Sonic 2 does immensely improve on them though by remaking them without the lovely prerendered track.

I've said it a million times but those and a potential Taxman Sonic 3&K need to be released on consoles. The widescreen and better framerate improve the games so much that the originals are kinda unplayable for me now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. 1 and 2's are so bad and annoying to even get into, let alone complete. Taxman's Sonic 2 does immensely improve on them though by remaking them without the lovely prerendered track.

I've said it a million times but those and a potential Taxman Sonic 3&K need to be released on consoles. The widescreen and better framerate improve the games so much that the originals are kinda unplayable for me now.

2's aren't too bad to get into, but I'm not a fan of them, they feel too unforgiving and it honestly it feels like you need to know the layout if you want to stand a chance past the second emerald.

I'd buy a Taxman 1-2-3&K collection for PC/Console in heartbeat. I want those 1&2 ports on something that isn't mobile.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if music legal stipulations are the biggest reason we never got a 3&K remaster. Most of Sega's recent Genesis collections (such as their plug n play consoles) skip Sonic 3 and only include Sonic & Knuckles.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nerdbot posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if music legal stipulations are the biggest reason we never got a 3&K remaster. Most of Sega's recent Genesis collections (such as their plug n play consoles) skip Sonic 3 and only include Sonic & Knuckles.

Probably but hopefully Mania's success will have Sega reconsider and bother with whatever legal hurdles are in their way.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Oxyclean posted:

2's aren't too bad to get into, but I'm not a fan of them, they feel too unforgiving and it honestly it feels like you need to know the layout if you want to stand a chance past the second emerald.

This is the entire reason. It's incredibly frustrating to have the real ending be gated behind a memorization game that you have a limited number of shots at.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I "beat" the game!

I mean I got to the end but I didn't find all the Emeralds. I know how Sonic games work. That means I haven't seen the real final boss yet. I'll be back when I can manage to find them all!

The game is super good! It's the Sonic game I've wanted since Sonic & Knuckles. Both the remixed classic levels and new levels were amazing!

I'm torn between wanting these guys to make another game with all new levels, or get them to remix every Sonic level ever.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Well this was awesome until Flying Battery 2. I've now hit a wall that is frankly too frustrating to deal with. Underside of the level, storming, electric fence area with bottomless pit. Since Game Overing shoves you back to Act 1 experimentation is highly discouraged. I've game covered 3 times there. Looks like I found my modern tolerance threshold for that.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

Well this was awesome until Flying Battery 2. I've now hit a wall that is frankly too frustrating to deal with. Underside of the level, storming, electric fence area with bottomless pit. Since Game Overing shoves you back to Act 1 experimentation is highly discouraged. I've game covered 3 times there. Looks like I found my modern tolerance threshold for that.

lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

take a different route

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bruh how the gently caress am I falling into a bottomless pit on the Oil Ocean boss. IT'S OIL OCEAN, IT AIN'T GOT NO PITS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

VJeff posted:

Bruh how the gently caress am I falling into a bottomless pit on the Oil Ocean boss. IT'S OIL OCEAN, IT AIN'T GOT NO PITS.

Like the original stage in Sonic 2, you still die if you go too deep into the oil.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SeANMcBAY posted:

Like the original stage in Sonic 2, you still die if you go too deep into the oil.

I'm not falling to the bottom. I kill one of his spinny things, fall down to the oil and the second I hit the top of it, I die. This happened twice.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Evil Eagle posted:

take a different route

That was my first thought, but I seem to always end up in the same place. Maybe someone has mapped the zones already.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ComposerGuy posted:

That was my first thought, but I seem to always end up in the same place. Maybe someone has mapped the zones already.

If you're taking the route where you head up instead of down into the garbage first, try heading to the launcher to the right after you head outside for the first time, That should keep you away from the underside section I think

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

the lower the route, the worse you're doing basically. go up

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Evil Eagle posted:

If you're taking the route where you head up instead of down into the garbage first, try heading to the launcher to the right after you head outside for the first time, That should keep you away from the underside section I think

Ill give that a shot.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Fedule posted:

what is happening

The video description:

quote:

So apparently if you turn to the left/right and then jump while holding the opposite direction, you can travel faster than running normally would allow you to do. In some cases, you can also combine this with some bumper collisions to get even more speed. The end result is the ability to capture all of the chaos emeralds in the game in record time (and it's arguably easier than doing it normally, keep in mind you don't have to be as aggressive as I am for some of them). Enjoy! ^_^

So it's not quite jumping sideways that does it, it looks like it's slightly more complex than that (but not much).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can get crushed by the platforms if you're standing near them when they get yanked down. Even if you're ontop of them. Or slightly over them. It's kind of stupid and one of the reasons I hate that boss.

Also talk of Taxman doing more returning levels in the hypothetical sequel makes me want to see him adapt 3D sonic stages into 2D similar to what Generations did. Like Wild Canyon/City Escape/Pumpkin Hill that kinda stuff.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
WHO WANTS SOME CHEMICAL PLANT SAX METAL?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl5xwbt7kj8

ALSO gently caress YOU CONSOLE HAVERS I GOTTA WAIT TWO WEEKS AAAAA

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Lava Reef music, holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this game is incredible.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You can get crushed by the platforms if you're standing near them when they get yanked down. Even if you're ontop of them. Or slightly over them. It's kind of stupid and one of the reasons I hate that boss.

Also talk of Taxman doing more returning levels in the hypothetical sequel makes me want to see him adapt 3D sonic stages into 2D similar to what Generations did. Like Wild Canyon/City Escape/Pumpkin Hill that kinda stuff.

Ah I see, I fight that boss pretty much like the original Oil Ocean one so maybe that's why I'm not having those issues.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Which levels have character-exclusive paths? Pretty sure I missed a few, there's supposed to be one in Flying Battery right?

btw the top route in press garden act 2 is way more fun than the bottom route

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I have no idea if it's character specific but there's an upper route in Flying Battery 2 that had me on top of the ship and it was really WFZ-esque.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I beat the game with all the gemeralds! I'm amazed at Egg Reverie basically making those kinds of boss fights we've seen since Doomsday Zone and making something actually really cool and different with it. And Super Sonic is just a load of fun to play with in general. The super sonic music owns like a lot.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I do wonder what the cut content for this game looks like. You can kinda see the seams with some of the levels just not having transitions, FBZ to PGZ being the biggest offender. It definitely feels like another zone was supposed to be between them.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

I do wonder what the cut content for this game looks like. You can kinda see the seams with some of the levels just not having transitions, FBZ to PGZ being the biggest offender. It definitely feels like another zone was supposed to be between them.

wait till sonic forces comes in for the true lock in sonic mania experience

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I would, no poo poo, love to see them dig deep and do traditional 2D platforming takes on levels from obscure games. Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Spinball have some really cool ideas for stages that are difficult to appreciate because of the gameplay of those games. Come to think of it, I'm actually kinda surprised they didn't pull the iconic Toxic Caves scorpion bot for Mania.

I think my ultimate pipe dream would be a Mania-styled remake of Sonic Triple Trouble. There are some really, really loving cool ideas going on in that game and I would go as far as to call Triple Trouble "a good Sonic game." Not like, great, but there's some stuff there that would be incredibly worthwhile to revisit.

VJeff posted:

I get such Phantasy Star Online vibes from the Act 2 track, that part of the game is where they channel the Sega Saturn / general late 90's early 00's Sega feel the strongest.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Give us Tails Adventure Mania and Sonic's Maniac Labyrinth

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Give us Tails Adventure Mania and Sonic's Maniac Labyrinth

You joke, but I genuinely and truly believe there is something worth salvaging out of Tails Adventure

Sonic Labyrinth, not so much

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Im sure everyone has played it by now. But when mean bean machine was the boss I let it have at it. I am a Puyo Puyo champion. I actually made a 10 chain to make sure the game knew who was boss.

When I was young and Blockbuster video was a thing; I actually had my parents rent me Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine and I played it hardcore. Enough to where I would constantly have no problems beating the game on hard without dying. It evolved when I would go to friends house as a kid who owned Kirby's Avalanche and I would beat that too! The creators who put Bean Machine into this game knew people like me. And I thank them for it,

I have not played a Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles. But Sonic Mania? Holy poo poo. I loved this game! I got the best ending I think... being super sonic and fighting not only Robotnick but Robo Robotnick

Best game since dare I say...Undertale. A very good 20 dollars well spent.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 18, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LeafyOrb posted:

I'm having trouble finding it again but I saw a japanese interview run through google translate that suggested very little was cut / no levels were cut from the game since it was a digital release and work could be done right up till the end - or something to that effect.

I'd wager it's more likely that it was just the transition that got cut, or levels got reordered?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VJeff posted:

Yeah, Act 2 music in that zone is something special, like might be better than the original even

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

It's all done: all Blue Sphere medals, all Emeralds with Sonic and Tails, and all Emeralds with Knuckles & Knuckles in a No Save game.

Best :tenbux::tenbux: I've ever spent.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting
Sonic Mania's music and sound design is fantastic in a lot of ways, it has a ton of callbacks ranging from sound effects to chords from older games, I think it even uses a couple of samples from the Jet Set Radio soundtrack. I may be imagining this, but Eggman's first theme also has the chord progression from the Beatles' "Hey Bulldog".

Sonic games always have such great soundtracks, and this one is no exception.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
This is basically what's happening in that bunny hop chaos emeralds video I feel like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4b3ddmbd-E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm legit upset that I've 100% this game. I want more like it already, cripes.

nerdbot posted:

I would, no poo poo, love to see them dig deep and do traditional 2D platforming takes on levels from obscure games. Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Spinball have some really cool ideas for stages that are difficult to appreciate because of the gameplay of those games. Come to think of it, I'm actually kinda surprised they didn't pull the iconic Toxic Caves scorpion bot for Mania.

Maybe it's the avatar floating around but I legit thought Act 2 of TMZ was a sonic spinball level reference. Like it's layout just feels like it to me. I mean you're even in ball form for like 70-80% of it.