Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Xaris posted:

The problem isn't the employees, it's your store for paying people poo poo. as they say, you get what you pay for. If I ever got paid $6.75 an hr part-time no bennies, I'd sure as gently caress do as little as possible. Now pay costco wages then hell yeah I'd do everything right.

I honestly don't know why this is so hard of a thing for folks to grasp. People in retail get so much dumb poo poo piled on them for so little compensation that it can't possibly be a surprise anymore when people just don't want to do the work. Yet somehow it always is. "What do you mean the people who have to know how literally everything in the store works so they can shift roles at the drop of a hat want to make more than minimum wage? I could pay a [child/monkey/robot] half that and have them do just as good a job!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i got paid $25.25/hr for my stockroom and shelf stacking work and got lots of hours because i actually did the job well. then i bootstrapped my way into an office job where i get paid $23/hr

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Over There posted:

Someone just called my fiance's Apple Store and said they were bringing a gun to shoot them up. What the gently caress is going on today

One of your fiance's coworkers really wanted a day off.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
This thread is bringing back terrible memories for me.

I wasted my twenties working in a corner shop / small supermarket a two minute walk from my house. We made most of our gross profit selling booze, cigarettes and lottery tickets, although most of the revenue from lottery and cigarettes went to the government and I think the shop itself earned less than 5 pence in every pound on the lottery.

It was in a pretty scummy neighbourhood so shoplifters and scammers were a regular occurrence and we were expected to intervene. I remember one guy had a huge paper bag full of cheese that teared in half when I confronted him spilling bricks of Cathedral City everywhere before he ran out.

The manager we had was a complete buffoon and had the courage of a jellyfish (too scared to discipline staff for serious indiscretions but brave enough to point out that you were wearing black jeans instead of the regulation polyester trousers). Thanks to the tireless work from our Deputy Manager in improving sales, the Manager was promoted to a bigger supermarket two towns over but was demoted back to our shop when it came to light that he was terrible at his job. He was still working there as of about 3 months ago but was fired for breaking some inane protocol which I think is karma considering some of the poo poo he put staff through.

Customers themselves were actually okay, with only the drunk ones causing problems by trying to get discount booze, or being infuriated when asked for a form of identification. One customer and his wife were swingers and constantly trying to pick up a woman that worked with me, but as far as I know she never accepted.

We had a lot of issues with staff theft because nobody gave a gently caress unless it was a significant amount going missing and all members of staff had full access to all the features on the til so, they could return and void items at will and scam the store a few ways.

I'd also work the weekend shifts completely drunk off my rear end, filling a Pepsi bottle with Jack Daniels and once had sex with one of the lower managers in the Jellyfish managers chair.

I have a dozen more stories about things that happened to me or coworkers in that horrid place.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:justpost:

Well don't keep us hanging!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Sono posted:

One of your fiance's coworkers really wanted a day off.

Yeah it was pretty wild. Turns out it was some crazy dude, because his sister called in to say he was actually coming. Police arrived on the scene and they had a description of him. Hopefully they got him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The manager we had was a complete buffoon and had the courage of a jellyfish (too scared to discipline staff for serious indiscretions but brave enough to point out that you were wearing black jeans instead of the regulation polyester trousers). Thanks to the tireless work from our Deputy Manager in improving sales, the Manager was promoted to a bigger supermarket two towns over but was demoted back to our shop when it came to light that he was terrible at his job. He was still working there as of about 3 months ago but was fired for breaking some inane protocol which I think is karma considering some of the poo poo he put staff through.

This is always some of my favorite poo poo. Manager takes credit for the work of others, gets promoted because of it, but crashes and buns because they're not actually any good at their job. The only unfortunate part is that the person who's work they took credit for doesn't get looked at next, it's usually just another manager somewhere else that was doing the exact same thing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SpacePig posted:

The only unfortunate part is that the person who's work they took credit for doesn't get looked at next

"Sorry, but you're just too indispensable."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Over There posted:

Yeah it was pretty wild. Turns out it was some crazy dude, because his sister called in to say he was actually coming. Police arrived on the scene and they had a description of him. Hopefully they got him.

It was actually 2 frat people pulling a prank on a pledge that was just planning on buying an iphone, it's the new version of swatting

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

strap on revenge posted:

i got paid $25.25/hr for my stockroom and shelf stacking work and got lots of hours because i actually did the job well. then i bootstrapped my way into an office job where i get paid $23/hr

Lol where the heck did you work?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
No where. That's just a lie.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Oh, that's like 19 cents an hour there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not exactly retail, but loosely relevant:

People talk about how a position that has a lot of turnover is a :redflag: and this is true. But even more so is a position where your supervisors have a faster turnover than their underlings is an even bigger red flag.

For the part-timers, our job was basically rounding out some other part-time or full-time job. However, the full-time position at the time as manager was basically $32,000 a year, no overtime. While a genuine full time salaried job with modest benefits (that would generally require 60+ hours/week for a pittance in the Bay Area it was a sales job that was as close as you could get to working for a MLM company, where supervisors were constantly pressured to maintain their dailies/weeklies. One supervisor realized she would actually make more money by busting her rear end back down to part time worker and picking another chill part-time job, it was that insane.

Of course, poo poo rolls downhill, so these miserable, overworked managers that had busted their rear end getting a 4.4 GPA (because apparently this job was unusually anal about grades) essentially took it out on the people that worked under them. Those under them were generally in the process of getting a master's degree themselves and couldn't afford to get fired, so most of them just bent over and took it.

The day I got my current job, which is a blue-collar, union protected, government career, was the best day of my life.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

SpacePig posted:

This is always some of my favorite poo poo. Manager takes credit for the work of others, gets promoted because of it, but crashes and buns because they're not actually any good at their job. The only unfortunate part is that the person who's work they took credit for doesn't get looked at next, it's usually just another manager somewhere else that was doing the exact same thing.

middlemanagment.jpg

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

If you ever want to lose whatever meager respect you have for humanity, work at a store that sells lottery tickets.

When I was in college I worked at a small wine shop that was 99% an awesome experience - because we were next to a Kroger and all sales were at state minimum, the way we differentiated ourselves was through knowledge, so the owner would regularly send me home with a bottle of wine and ask me to come back and tell him what I thought. I learned a lot about wine working for him.

But the rest was pretty sad - alcoholics coming in Sunday mornings before 1 PM wanting a 12-pack of Milwaukee's Best (our cheapest beer, $3.18 a 12-pack) and being told we couldn't sell to them.

The worst were the lotto freaks, though. Two in particular stood out. The first was a chemical engineer who worked for a local company (he always had his id badge on) who would regularly drop over $100 a night on the 3-digit number (which iirc paid 500-to-1 straight and 83-to-1 boxed). The second was a woman who would come in with her 2 filthy children and spend every last cent on 50-cent 3-digit box tickets, even digging into her purse to make sure she didn't have an extra 50 cents hiding in there.

I understand playing the powerball, esp when the pot is approaching a billion dollars - that's life changing. But seriously - a 50 cent bet that is gonna pay 43.50? poo poo, that's not even grocery money.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

that was the standard casual rate for a 20+ year old at kmart australia. when i was working 40+ hours with some overnight shifts i was earning like $1200 a week after tax.

once i got told to clean up some spew and the chunks in it didn't get grabbed by the mop so i had to pick them up with a paper towel by hand

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

strap on revenge posted:

that was the standard casual rate for a 20+ year old at kmart australia. when i was working 40+ hours with some overnight shifts i was earning like $1200 a week after tax.

once i got told to clean up some spew and the chunks in it didn't get grabbed by the mop so i had to pick them up with a paper towel by hand

i love when companies here are dumb or stubborn enough to keep you on as a casual but have you working a 40 hour weeks constantly because they hate the idea of having permanent staff

i made so much loving money working at dominos and coles as a casual since nobody else stuck around for more than a month or had any idea how to run the places

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

iajanus posted:

i love when companies here are dumb or stubborn enough to keep you on as a casual but have you working a 40 hour weeks constantly because they hate the idea of having permanent staff

i made so much loving money working at dominos and coles as a casual since nobody else stuck around for more than a month or had any idea how to run the places

they offered me a part time contract but i declined and they kept giving me the same amount of hours anyway because i was a good worker :madmax:

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

LongSack posted:

If you ever want to lose whatever meager respect you have for humanity, work at a store that sells lottery tickets.

When I was in college I worked at a small wine shop that was 99% an awesome experience - because we were next to a Kroger and all sales were at state minimum, the way we differentiated ourselves was through knowledge, so the owner would regularly send me home with a bottle of wine and ask me to come back and tell him what I thought. I learned a lot about wine working for him.

But the rest was pretty sad - alcoholics coming in Sunday mornings before 1 PM wanting a 12-pack of Milwaukee's Best (our cheapest beer, $3.18 a 12-pack) and being told we couldn't sell to them.

The worst were the lotto freaks, though. Two in particular stood out. The first was a chemical engineer who worked for a local company (he always had his id badge on) who would regularly drop over $100 a night on the 3-digit number (which iirc paid 500-to-1 straight and 83-to-1 boxed). The second was a woman who would come in with her 2 filthy children and spend every last cent on 50-cent 3-digit box tickets, even digging into her purse to make sure she didn't have an extra 50 cents hiding in there.

I understand playing the powerball, esp when the pot is approaching a billion dollars - that's life changing. But seriously - a 50 cent bet that is gonna pay 43.50? poo poo, that's not even grocery money.

Those alcoholics take it to the limit. Wait until you see someone that physically becomes ill if they haven't drank in 8 hours. It's brutal

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

they offered me a part time contract but i declined and they kept giving me the same amount of hours anyway because i was a good worker :madmax:

yeah i did that at coles and they still gave me 40 hour+ weeks because literally nobody else would turn up and open up the deli at 5am and be halfway competent (even though being 18-19 at the time I was usually just getting home from a night out in time to get changed for work)

e: the downside was working for coles which is its own kind of soul-crushing level of horror but idk at least i had cash on hand to forget about it

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

whip posted:

Those alcoholics take it to the limit. Wait until you see someone that physically becomes ill if they haven't drank in 8 hours. It's brutal

Four loko lady had some kind of horrendous surgery (I heard through the grape vine there was a possible gallbladder removal??) and now she's onto buying pounder packs of miller lite and then spreading out the rest of the day with tall boys. My manager is literally counting the ounces and announcing them to me as she comes in and out. Watching people destroy themselves with alcohol is really something else.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
I wear a nametag. Sometimes customers say "Hi, Phones!" Shut the gently caress up. Stop it. You don't know me. You're not clever. It's weird. No no dont feel good about it! gently caress you!

Telephones fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 23, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

iajanus posted:

e: the downside was working for coles which is its own kind of soul-crushing level of horror but idk at least i had cash on hand to forget about it

The bookstore coles? Or is this a food chain in the states?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The bookstore coles? Or is this a food chain in the states?

Coles in Australia is a supermarket chain, one of the two dominant national ones along with Woolworths. They're not Wal-Mart tier but known to be fairly lovely employers, especially with skyrocketing youth unemployment in a lot of the country. Though Australian worker and consumer protections are amazing compared to what Americans put up with.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

yeah, Coles is one of the 2 big supermarket chains (imo the more lovely one, although that's down to interpretation)

although much as i complain about them they are still lightyears ahead of a lot of american ones considering what they're forced to do by our employment laws, frequently rorted as they are

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
What's up with Walmart anyway? How is it so goddamn grim? Every single employee in every store looks suicidally depressed, just totally beat.

e it's pretty impressive, actually. consistently is important!

Telephones fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 23, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Panfilo posted:

Not exactly retail, but loosely relevant:

People talk about how a position that has a lot of turnover is a :redflag: and this is true. But even more so is a position where your supervisors have a faster turnover than their underlings is an even bigger red flag.

Yeah it's usually a good sign that things are genuinely hosed. I worked in a lovely data entry job for a telco years and years ago but the entire team was subcontracted through a temp agency instead of working directly for the company. I'm guessing that the temp agency signed some crazy agreement that their chair moisteners from sector 7G valued employees would deliver a specific amount of work at a specific level of quality that was all but impossible to achieve since the wages they were offering were so lovely that they just couldn't place the right people in the team. I was hitting the KPIs really easy because I was slumming it and couldn't be bothered finding a better job but every other person in the office was struggling which meant that it was impossible for the temp agency to fulfill the terms of the contract.

We went through managers at a crazy pace, they had to send in a new one every 6 months or so but poo poo didn't really hit the fan until they sent in a manager who decided to stick it out and whip everyone into shape. He was a goddamn oval office of a human being. My team leader hated him so much that she quit and they didn't have anyone to fill her position so I somehow became unofficial team leader and took over all the team admin duties (without any extra pay, naturally) while still having to do all my original data entry work so I soon quit as well. It was pretty impressive that the only realworld change the cunty manager had on the team was to drive away the only competent workers in the office. :v:

Edit: the "exit interview" where I sat down with the office manager and the temp agency rep for a chat was hilarious.
"So, who would you recommend from the team to step in and take over the admin duties?"
"None of them are capable of doing it."
"What about ____?"
"Maybe if I sat with him and trained him for a month but this is my last day."
"Oh."

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 23, 2017

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

ugh its Troika posted:

:justpost:

Well don't keep us hanging!

My colleague had an awful customer once. Their interaction went like this:

Coworker: and here's £3.50 change
*hands over coin*
Customer: hang on mate, take that back off me.
*coworker, confused, takes back the change*
Customer: now give it back to me like I'm not a loving dog.
*coworker hands over the change and walks into the store room kicking poo poo about in a rage*

I had a stream of bad managers in that place. The one who hired me was ex army and had been injured somehow (in training I believe, not in combat) and claimed he was waiting for huge compensation payout which never came. He was married to an extremely hot woman but had a string of affairs with 18 year old girls he'd hired and eventually went on the run after emptying the safe. I never found out what happened to him and I wish I could remember his full name so I could Google him.

There was a woman and husband who would come into the shop at least twice a day and buy a 35cl vodka. Sometimes he'd come in with scratches on his face and sometimes she'd come in with black eyes. The worst was the time she came in on crutches. They both had good jobs from what I could tell, she was a teacher and he worked for our football team in some capacity. Anyway this continued for a long time until one morning where the wife came into the shop absolutely lit at 8am with her kids in the car. A coworker of mine watched her drive off and phoned the police who were out quick enough to follow her home.

I don't know what happened to her after that but I had to give a statement to the police saying that she appeared drunk to me. I felt really guilty because that kind of bust can cost someone their job and she probably had it really rough already but gently caress her for driving drunk, especially with kids in the car. I saw her about a year ago and she looked like a different woman, longer hair, better skin and generally glowing, so hopefully she's kicked the booze and her husband.

I wasn't here for this one but a friend who worked at our main store witnessed it. This store had offices upstairs and was used for staff training and was also our area manager's base. It was on this occasion used as a location to film a corporate circle jerk video where some of the company directors all dressed in black suits and sunglasses, walked in slow motion through the loading bay to recreate the scene from Reservoir Dogs. I can only imagine the levels of cringe on this poo poo shower.

There was another time I found a bag of potatoes that had been shoved down the back of a fridge and been there for about 8 months. Something must have happened to cause the bag to split because the smell was then released across the entire shop. We at first thought it was the drains until we discovered this plastic bag full of rotten black liquid. One of the potatoes seemed to have fed off his deceased brothers and had grown branches about four inches long. I held this up to one of the security cameras so I could prove it to other staff, as I didn't have a smartphone back then.

I'm so glad I'm out of retail, the job I do now is cleaning up piss and poo poo and working with the severely mentally impaired but I love it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

My colleague had an awful customer once. Their interaction went like this:

Coworker: and here's £3.50 change
*hands over coin*
Customer: hang on mate, take that back off me.
*coworker, confused, takes back the change*
Customer: now give it back to me like I'm not a loving dog.
*coworker hands over the change and walks into the store room kicking poo poo about in a rage*

I had a stream of bad managers in that place. The one who hired me was ex army and had been injured somehow (in training I believe, not in combat) and claimed he was waiting for huge compensation payout which never came. He was married to an extremely hot woman but had a string of affairs with 18 year old girls he'd hired and eventually went on the run after emptying the safe. I never found out what happened to him and I wish I could remember his full name so I could Google him.

There was a woman and husband who would come into the shop at least twice a day and buy a 35cl vodka. Sometimes he'd come in with scratches on his face and sometimes she'd come in with black eyes. The worst was the time she came in on crutches. They both had good jobs from what I could tell, she was a teacher and he worked for our football team in some capacity. Anyway this continued for a long time until one morning where the wife came into the shop absolutely lit at 8am with her kids in the car. A coworker of mine watched her drive off and phoned the police who were out quick enough to follow her home.

I don't know what happened to her after that but I had to give a statement to the police saying that she appeared drunk to me. I felt really guilty because that kind of bust can cost someone their job and she probably had it really rough already but gently caress her for driving drunk, especially with kids in the car. I saw her about a year ago and she looked like a different woman, longer hair, better skin and generally glowing, so hopefully she's kicked the booze and her husband.

I wasn't here for this one but a friend who worked at our main store witnessed it. This store had offices upstairs and was used for staff training and was also our area manager's base. It was on this occasion used as a location to film a corporate circle jerk video where some of the company directors all dressed in black suits and sunglasses, walked in slow motion through the loading bay to recreate the scene from Reservoir Dogs. I can only imagine the levels of cringe on this poo poo shower.

There was another time I found a bag of potatoes that had been shoved down the back of a fridge and been there for about 8 months. Something must have happened to cause the bag to split because the smell was then released across the entire shop. We at first thought it was the drains until we discovered this plastic bag full of rotten black liquid. One of the potatoes seemed to have fed off his deceased brothers and had grown branches about four inches long. I held this up to one of the security cameras so I could prove it to other staff, as I didn't have a smartphone back then.

I'm so glad I'm out of retail, the job I do now is cleaning up piss and poo poo and working with the severely mentally impaired but I love it.

"Why would I give money to a dog?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Volcott posted:

"Why would I give money to a dog?"

I think a rule of thumb is you don't mouth off to that kind of customer because they'll probably get violent

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah anyone who accuses you of treating them like a dog is itching for a fight

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

I'm so glad I'm out of retail, the job I do now is cleaning up piss and poo poo and working with the severely mentally impaired.
Could you explain the difference, please?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think a rule of thumb is you don't mouth off to that kind of customer because they'll probably get violent

Always be careful of any customer who has a loving spiel ready.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Telephones posted:

I wear a nametag. Sometimes customers say "Hi, Phones!" Shut the gently caress up. Stop it. You don't know me. You're not clever. It's weird. No no dont feel good about it! gently caress you!

Any customer who wants to know your name in retail is

-trying to get something from you
-a piece of poo poo

No exceptions

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm gonna call every person I see with a name tag by their name now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If a customer did that at my register I'd toss the change in the direction of the door and tell them to be a good boy and go fetch. I wouldn't care what they did after, that's what I have security for.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm gonna move to Australia

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Lord Bude posted:

In Australia (where zenithe is) It's entirely old people who withdraw money by going to the bank each month and writing a cheque to themselves. ATMs don't give out 100s. That and people giving large cash gifts as birthday presents, because they think 100s are fancier. Nobody gets paid by cheque in Australia. Legitimate businesses pay employees by direct deposit to their bank account. Tax is automatically deducted, and all your income details are reported to the tax office. The only time people get paid by some other means is tradies accepting cash payment for work, or businesses that are committing wage fraud.

It works really well - the tax office already knows everything about you, and it coordinates information with pretty much everyone, so when it comes time to do your tax return, unless you've got complicated tax arrangements, for 90% of people it's a 5 minute job of logging on to the tax office website, reviewing the information they've collected, adding in a charitable donation or whatever that you want to claim (if you haven't been using the app to record that stuff as you do it) and hitting send. Pretty much all the information you need is automagically filled in for you. Then a few days later they deposit your tax refund into your bank account.

Man have you tried the new eTax? It's SOOOOO goooood. I mean with investments in the future and poo poo I will be looking at paying an accountant to do it for me. But while I'm just earning a standard wage with no real deductibles its like 5min to do my tax return for the year. Just go into the website, log in, copy my annual net sum from the emailed info my work sent and boom done.

So much better than the old lovely etax. Remember the one you had to download, save the data for carry over to next year and it barely had any auto populate data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The Lord Bude posted:

If a customer did that at my register I'd toss the change in the direction of the door and tell them to be a good boy and go fetch. I wouldn't care what they did after, that's what I have security for.

Lol. Then you would snap awake from your daydream / fantasy and hand the change over.

• Locked thread