Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Javid posted:

I'm driving up the coast Sunday. Here's hoping it's not too hosed.
I hope you're trolling, because you already hosed up badly. Hwy 101 is about the slowest and worst road in the country, at the best of times. During heavy tourist season AND during a once in a generation tourist glut, you'll be lucky to make 10 or 20 miles in an hour.

I have friends out at 10 Mile Lake near Florence right now, and they're already worrying about how they'll get ice in 2 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ElCondemn posted:

What is the criminal enterprise exactly?
I'd assume money laundering. Lots and lots of cash in hand, no real way to count inventory except in terms of bulk coffee, syrup, and the number of cups you use, etc.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thaddius the Large posted:

Ahahahahahahaha. I'm driving over tomorrow afternoon, and am already dreading it taking way longer than normal.
https://twitter.com/anthonypants/status/898290404876877824

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ElCondemn posted:

Does enforcing a dress code stop prostitution somehow?

I don't know, this is the first I've heard of it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like there've been several articles I've read about them and how they're generally shady as poo poo. I think this is one of the better ones:

http://archive.seattleweekly.com/news/954445-129/seattleland-sex-the-cream-in-those

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A bunch of those "alt-right" nazis had a nice long talk with Ed Murray and how he wants to tear down the Lenin statue http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Seattle-Mayor-Ed-Murray-removal-Lenin-statue-11882177.php

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Senor P. posted:

The only dam that has been removed to date in Washington was a small one in 2014.

Replying to an old post but there have been at least a dozen dam removals in Washington. The Elwha project removed two dams (Elwha Dam and Glines Canyon Dam) and is the largest such project completed so far in the country. Before it the Condit Dam removal in 2011 was the largest. Both have been huge successes in terms of river and fish recovery. While these dams were small compared to the largest hydroelectric dams the good outcomes are encouraging for larger projects.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

anthonypants posted:

A bunch of those "alt-right" nazis had a nice long talk with Ed Murray and how he wants to tear down the Lenin statue http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Seattle-Mayor-Ed-Murray-removal-Lenin-statue-11882177.php

Haha, gently caress Murray. He should have resigned months ago.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ElCondemn posted:

Does enforcing a dress code stop prostitution somehow?
Well it stopped all rapes so at least we have that

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So this is a thing https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/ywwpnv/oregon-becomes-the-first-state-to-make-abortion-accessible-to-all-women

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Murray is being an rear end in a top hat who has long since lost any grounding with the city he represents. I wouldn't mind somebody vandalizing either one (as often happens to Lenin, don't get me wrong), but they're both privately owned and it's nothing more than impotent posturing to suggest that they come down. Pathetic.

I've been tempted to move a bit south due to being priced out of Seattle, seems like you guys are good people.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I remember when police shut down a bikini barista prostitution ring in Lynnwood they collected a conspicuous amount of evidence over a very long time. It was one of the more hilariously vile things I remember from my two years in that shitpile.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

George posted:

I remember when police shut down a bikini barista prostitution ring in Lynnwood they collected a conspicuous amount of evidence over a very long time. It was one of the more hilariously vile things I remember from my two years in that shitpile.

Yeah, that was loving ridiculous.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Lynnwood PD is pretty bad.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Look getting handies from bikini baristas is just good police work, you don't understand the struggle.

Also don't forget the Lynnwood police were so convinced a rape victim lied about being raped that they got her to recant and charged her with false reporting, only for it to come out that she was raped by a serial rapist who went on to rape more women in Colorado.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 18, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
In case it wasn't obvious, http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/2017/08/20_seconds_all_it_took_portlan.html

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Millions of people being struck blind by the cosmos seems very 2017-appropriate.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The day before a nazi murdered two men on a Portland MAX train in May, he harassed and assaulted a woman on a Portland MAX train. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/08/woman_who_says_she_was_assault.html

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

f#a# posted:

I've been tempted to move a bit south due to being priced out of Seattle, seems like you guys are good people.

great, now we have california AND seattle's runoff.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
if you think oregon is cheap let me tell you about a little place called salt lake city

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Solkanar512 posted:

I believe prostitution and likely sex trafficking was involved.

I think "The Stranger" used a FOIA request to get pictures of cops offering girls money to take more of their clothes off.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

if you think oregon is cheap let me tell you about a little place called salt lake city

A sparkling land in Utah they called Salt Lake City

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Alex Jones was in Seattle today https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/898661987927826432
And, gently caress cops, but this is a solid burn https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/898649810231623680

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
That Jones confrontation clip is so phony I'm surprised Vince McMahon isn't calling commentary from a desk across the street.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That Jones confrontation clip is so phony I'm surprised Vince McMahon isn't calling commentary from a desk across the street.

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/898672162591997953

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Oh my god

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

So the coffee attack was a false flag with paid manchild actors?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/898695546684100609

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

You know sometimes you read something and your brain starts going "uhhhh" trailing off infinitely like a dial tone in your head?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

It's confirmed as real. That article also mentions he MCs for the roller girls and does poo poo at re-bar but I guess just including the fake wrestling bit makes it more believable he was in on it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I am sure whoever is proposing a dress code for baristas is more concerned about sexual morality, but I have to think that bikini baristas are at some risk of severe burns and other injuries on the job. I have never been to one of those places because I think they are a dumb idea but espresso machines can be dangerous if a boiler explodes or if a steam valve fails.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

therobit posted:

I am sure whoever is proposing a dress code for baristas is more concerned about sexual morality, but I have to think that bikini baristas are at some risk of severe burns and other injuries on the job. I have never been to one of those places because I think they are a dumb idea but espresso machines can be dangerous if a boiler explodes or if a steam valve fails.

This was my first-blush incredulity as well (and confirmed by my former-barista wife). It seems like steam burns would happen all the time.

The actuality is that every rear end in a top hat I work with who goes to the local Cowgirls Coffee stand is a creepo and does not give a poo poo if it's $5 for a drip coffee. All they care about is that they got to see some cleave at 6:00AM before work.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There was one by my college where some dude kept exposing himself, and one of the baristas just dumped scalding water on his junk (she was a college student). That was a fun story to edit in the student paper.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This was my first-blush incredulity as well (and confirmed by my former-barista wife). It seems like steam burns would happen all the time.

The actuality is that every rear end in a top hat I work with who goes to the local Cowgirls Coffee stand is a creepo and does not give a poo poo if it's $5 for a drip coffee. All they care about is that they got to see some cleave at 6:00AM before work.

Honestly even without the hot liquids, steam, and boiler I can only imagine how many cuts, scrapes and bruises one would wind up with doing coffeeshop/restaurant work with little to no clothing When my wife used to waitress she always had bruises but clothing provides at least some protection. I can't imagine nobody has ever called OSHA on those coffee stands so I am not sure how they still exist.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
you guys have no idea what you're talking about w/r/t service industry positions and you should thank god for that

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Light the way, my man.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Some nazis held a rally in Vancouver, BC yesterday http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/no-apologies-from-vancouver-rally-organizer-who-posted-white-supremacist-codes-racist-images-online

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I love how absolutely everything publicly admit they believe in is a false flag liberal psyop until you prove they said it, then it becomes not racist at all, just race realism and jokes to get under liberals' skins.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
w/r/t bikini baristas, I'm along the lines that as long as the woman isn't coerced into the job, and has reasonable security, by all means. If a dude wants to pay $6 for a lovely americano so he can see a little cleveage, sure. When they basically operate as prostitution rings, then yeah that's a problem, then kind of becomes a discussion of how you feel about sex work, but as far as I can tell, these coffee stands aren't fronts for sex trafficking. Those sketchy rear end massage parlors on Highway 99 in Everett on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I came down to Portland today for the eclipse tomorrow and I saw this in the bathroom of a Fred Meyer:

Department: Government
Company: USA