Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Protip: Ancient Shields can surf on any surface with almost no friction and are the most :krad: way to travel around Hyrule because they are basically hoverboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rain makes for some interesting game mechanics. It can be frustrating when you suddenly need to use a bomb or fire arrow and it's raining though.

Also just the other day I finally got the 4th Great Faerie and did a final update of some armor. Uh, I was raped. What the hey

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

The Bloop posted:

You can still climb in the rain fairly well with enough stamina and the climbing gear.

Not being able to zoom up stuff in the rain is a major design decision if the game, like it or not. I've been frustrated by it before but I really don't understand all the hate for it.

I agree there should perhaps be some post-game upgrade or DLC bonus like the teleport rune, though. Frankly snow and sand annoyed me more than rain!

It isn't not being able to "zoom up" stuff - it's that rain climbing is actively tedious and does nothing but create busywork, because the obvious solution is to mark your location, teleport away, then teleport back as close as possible after sitting by a fire, unless you have the stamina to short climb->jump->eat the slide->repeat. It creates loading screens, especially early on in the game when you don't have climbing gear or three wheels. When you have to describe a game mechanic as being frustrating but ultimately capable of being circumvented if you already know what you're doing - like, if that's the defense of the mechanic, it's probably lovely and just shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Thunderstorms (remove metal equipment or have appropriate gear), temperature hazards (come prepared with elixirs or appropriate gear), sand/snow environments (get the sand/snow boots or shield surf) etc. all have organic solutions that aren't just "no, you can't do this right now, not at all." I guess you could eat stamina-restoring food while climbing? But rain gets a lot of hate because that's exactly what it is ("you can't do this right now") until you're later on in the game and exploration is trivialized anyway. It's a puzzling, inelegant element of an otherwise amazing game, so it sticks out really badly for how clumsy it is. I remember my first run of the game I went through drat near the whole game (before my Switch got jacked) expecting to be able to find or buy equipment or make an elixir that would eliminate the prohibitive drawbacks of the rain... and it just never happens. There is no Rubber equipment for rain, you know? That's lame. It's especially egregious that rain climbing double-dips on penalties, because when you slide you both lose ground and sliding itself takes some of your stamina wheel.

Rain being as fun-policing as it is was the second most baffling decision that made it in to BotW, in my opinion, just after not being able to craft or upgrade weapons at a smith or something. All those modifiers that can go on weapons but no real way of controlling the outcomes or what is on what, at least that I'm aware of -- seemed weird. Still seems weird!

Earwicker posted:

I agree that the climbing set should allow you to climb in rain once upgraded - its weird that it doesnt, but there is a semi-solution, the power you get from the bird beast can get you up most slopes in a rainstorm

On Master Mode Revali's Gale is by far the most useful Champion power in the game, and it's not even really close. Being able to create slow-mo opportunities ad hoc at any time is amazing, and the benefits to travel are obvious. I made a beeline for Vah Medoh as soon as I decided it was time to kill all the Divine Beasts. Urbosa's Fury is obviously still good, especially for stealing powerful weapons off of shockable enemies, but Revali's Gale is straight up borked in terms of its power relative to the others.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I never found "you can't do that right now" to be inappropriate or unfun. There's always plenty to do.

I mean I've said Aw gently caress before when it started raining just as I was going to climb something, but I just marked the spot and did something else. :shrug: made the world feel more real to me. Sometimes you just can't do certain things.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the solution to rainy travel is to find shelter, build a fire and wait it out

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Lmao at all these people mad about rain.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The absence of a tool for conveniently dealing with rain is conspicuous, as every other environmental obstacle has multiple ways to work around it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i saw rain not as a "you can't do this now" but a "ok find a path that doesn't rely on the climb mechanic", of which you can usually find plenty. it's trying to break up the "ok now i'm at point b" part of the game and i understand why some people have resistance to that but i appreciated the push towards "yeah you can't climb, now go find a road and kill some things, tough luck kiddo"

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I just picked up BOTW for the Switch, and have just made it to Karikiko Village. Any tips for a new player?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BoyBlunder posted:

I just picked up BOTW for the Switch, and have just made it to Karikiko Village. Any tips for a new player?

Don't look at tips; just explore and have fun unless you get totally stumped. The more you can discover for yourself, the more you'll get out of this game

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

Stick with the main quest up until you get the camera, as that introduces you to an NPC who can give you some really useful upgrades.

You'll meet helpful NPCs and find a lot of shrines and stables by traveling on roads. It's fun to climb everywhere, but the game often has footpaths with goodies that you can miss by being too climb-happy.

Also, get a horse. They make traveling on roads easier.

Sell gems to raise cash. Do not sell ancient parts, as those are needed for upgrades.

If you get a great weapon, use it. Enjoy it. Weapons are tools and they are meant to be used. Don't feel like you have to save them for anything; more weapons will come.

Have fun. :)

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

BoyBlunder posted:

Genuine tip: Don't leave the general area until you've found the fairy fountain in the woods near the village. You can carry between 3-5 fairies, and once you have that many, no more will spawn until you've used them up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Re: Rainchat. The game is also really good about ensuring it doesn't rain when your only option is to climb.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

Follow the plot until you get the camera, then do whatever you want. You will likely encounter more interesting things if you prefer following roads over scaling cliffs.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BoyBlunder posted:

Do whatever feels right to you personally and don't read this thread anymore until you're finished. I'm serious.:)

silencekit
May 1, 2014

BoyBlunder posted:

Only thing I wish I had done differently was tackle the Rito divine beast first. I felt steered toward the Zora one, and the reward there is pretty useless.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

silencekit posted:

Only thing I wish I had done differently was tackle the Rito divine beast first. I felt steered toward the Zora one, and the reward there is pretty useless.

Maybe for some sperg who is good at games and never takes damage. I'm not a girl, so I don't get to push the girl gamer button that makes the game easier. I need all the help I can get.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

The absence of a tool for conveniently dealing with rain is conspicuous, as every other environmental obstacle has multiple ways to work around it.

The only tool I kind of want for dealing with the rain is a modifier that if you had a Korok Leaf and you took it out while it was raining that link would hold it like an umbrella. It wouldn't do anything other than look neat. I really don't mind the rain and honestly it gives the world a more realistic feel. :shobon:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

BoyBlunder posted:

jivjov posted:

Don't look at tips; just explore and have fun unless you get totally stumped. The more you can discover for yourself, the more you'll get out of this game

Bongo Bill posted:

Follow the plot until you get the camera, then do whatever you want. You will likely encounter more interesting things if you prefer following roads over scaling cliffs.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do whatever feels right to you personally and don't read this thread anymore until you're finished. I'm serious.:)

As somebody who is in at almost 150 hours and am still discovering things without looking at tips and spoilers (Ok, I did look at a couple things when I was super frustrated) I have to completely agree with these. I still have something like 37 shrines to uncover and I'm having a blast doing it. I'm STILL finding places that I had no idea that existed. This is honestly the most fun I've had with a video game in over a decade.

I went to go pick some durians and happened upon the Lord of The Mountain. Holy toledo!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just to make it clear, the reason people keep saying to get the camera is because it opens up a bunch of things for you to do which are much better accomplished gradually over the course of the game. If you were to postpone it til later, you'd end up activating the camera and going "ugh do I really need to go out and find this thing I last saw 30 hours ago in god knows where that was".

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I really need to use the camera more. I've barely got anything in my compendium. I do have some sweet photos of Link in weird places though.

Edit: I wish you could actually email yourself said pictures.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The only tool I kind of want for dealing with the rain is a modifier that if you had a Korok Leaf and you took it out while it was raining that link would hold it like an umbrella. It wouldn't do anything other than look neat. I really don't mind the rain and honestly it gives the world a more realistic feel. :shobon:

omg that would be perfect

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Did you guys know that Link has 8, not 4, selfie poses (or does he have 12 and I didn't know it)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

silencekit posted:

On the other hand the armor you get for showing up in Zora City is awesome.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Argue posted:

Did you guys know that Link has 8, not 4, selfie poses (or does he have 12 and I didn't know it)

I believe he actually has 9 or 10, possibly even 11, because the weapon poses are different depending on what you have equipped. Spears and greatswords have different poses, and the one-handed weapon pose changes depending on whether or not you have a shield equipped.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

silencekit posted:

the zora one isn't bad.. especially at the start of the game when you tend to get your rear end whooped a lot more (although getting Game Over isn't a big deal).

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Spergatory posted:

I believe he actually has 9 or 10, possibly even 11, because the weapon poses are different depending on what you have equipped. Spears and greatswords have different poses, and the one-handed weapon pose changes depending on whether or not you have a shield equipped.

Link should have 13 poses I think.

He has 4 normal, 4 altered poses, 1 with a bow, 1 with a spear, 2 with a short sword, and 1 with a great sword.

Edit: Actually, are those altered poses with the weapons too? Because then you're right, it's 10

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Dictator. posted:

the zora one isn't bad.. especially at the start of the game when you tend to get your rear end whooped a lot more (although getting Game Over isn't a big deal).

Yeah, that's fair. Early game I was pretty obsessive about stocking up on fairies, so it felt redundant to me.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

FartingBedpost posted:

Link should have 13 poses I think.

He has 4 normal, 4 altered poses, 1 with a bow, 1 with a spear, 2 with a short sword, and 1 with a great sword.

Edit: Actually, are those altered poses with the weapons too? Because then you're right, it's 10

Isn't there a pose just for the master sword too?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Argue posted:

How are the altered poses performed? I only ever saw the cardinal 4.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

frodnonnag posted:

Isn't there a pose just for the master sword too?

I thought that's just short sword with no shield, but it might be master sword with no shield.

E: on Wii U its cardinal direction + RB if I remember right. Could be LB.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 17, 2017

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I only took a few pictures myself for the Compendium and bought the rest, and I wish that I could erase mine because they all look like crap. The ones that I bought universally look nice and it makes my self-taken ones appear even more miserable. I was all prepared to go around the world snapping photos of things and then quickly realised that I am shite at photography.

cats
May 11, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I only took a few pictures myself for the Compendium and bought the rest, and I wish that I could erase mine because they all look like crap. The ones that I bought universally look nice and it makes my self-taken ones appear even more miserable. I was all prepared to go around the world snapping photos of things and then quickly realised that I am shite at photography.

I have two ingredient photos that are missing, and I can't figure out which ones they are without looking it up, so I think I'm going to buy those and see how they compare. I've been trying to get some nicer enemy photos now that I've got the masks.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, I bought the pictures on my first playthrough but never again. Finding stuff in the compendium sucks, so every playthrough since I stick to "stuff I'm actually actively looking for".

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
In my experience, if there's an ingredient that /isn't/ in your compendium after going through most of the game, it's /probably/ in your inventory, unless it's one of the (two?) that have to be bought.

I'm fine with most of my pictures. With my fish pictures, I've just generally found a nice flat area on a sunny day, dropped the fish so my shadow would fall on it, and took a picture so that the tail was in the upper left and the head in the lower right.

For most animals, the full stealth suit makes getting animal photos significantly easier. Insects I still find pretty difficult, but that's more a symptom of me not realizing that the insects are there until they fly away, and having a devil of a time photographig store-bought insects.

Bokoblins, Lizalfos, and Moblins are /usually/ sufficiently pacified with the appropriate mask, but the issue then becomes getting far away enough from them for a decent picture.

I really wish the lighting was better in the house; the weapon mounts are great for /posing/ weapons, but the light makes for dark images, so many of my preferred weapon and shield images have them in situ, lying on a rack, leaning against a house, etc.Wish I'd taken a picture of the Master Sword before pulling it.

I also really wish I'd either taken a /better/ image of Fireblight Ganon, or that I hadn't taken one at all. I'd caught him mid-teleport, and the image is bad.

My favorite compendium picture is this one of a Blupee I stumbled across when I came over a hill on Hyrule Field while wearing the stealth suit.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Constantly running out of things to bash enemies with in master mode. Where's some good semi-low risk places to grab some weapons at?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Constantly running out of things to bash enemies with in master mode. Where's some good semi-low risk places to grab some weapons at?

If you find a Hinox, mark it. They always have decent weapons around their necks, and they respawn every blood moon. You don't even have to kill them to take the weapons; you can just land on their stomachs, snatch them, and run away.

The Coliseum in Hyrule Field also has decent-to-great weapons available; unfortunately, they are in the hands of health sponge silver enemies. Use Shock Arrows or a Thunder Weapon to make them drop them, steal them, and skedaddle.

Due North of the Coliseum is Mount Daphnes and the Ancient Tree Stump, which has a Great Flameblade.

South of Rito Village, at the top of Cuho Mountain, there's a Great Thunderblade.

Woodland Tower has one of those giant skulls on top of it. There's a Royal Claymore embedded in the skull; just climb around the outside to get to the top.

Lastly, there is, of course, Hyrule Castle. If you have the DLC, hunt down Majora's Mask, and the monsters won't attack you. The only thing you'll have to worry about are the Guardians outside the castle.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Do weapons sitting around like that also respawn on Blood Moons?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Yes. Any weapon present in the overworld or held by an enemy will respawn with a blood moon. It's really only chests and their contents that don't respawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zerilan posted:

Yes.