Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The way I see it the show is still 80% filler, they wasted a lot of time on a lot of ultimately pointless poo poo and fanservice this season.

Still thinking about those minute plus long shots of just the White Walkers walking towards the camera. What a loving waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is gendrys hammer gone? I thought I saw the hound toss it aside during the fight. RIP awesome hammer. :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Part of the problem is that they forgot to add new characters in as they were killing old ones off. The other part came to me earlier, and it's that when they had a surplus of main characters they could sacrifice one to go on a really long journey/buddy road trip which would give the illusion of the passage of time throughout a season and give people's brains anchor points. What they should have done is have Arya roll up at the end of the season or even season 8 if the plot allows. She could have been the one to find Gendry working at some random farriers and brought him up with her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VaultAggie posted:

Is gendrys hammer gone? I thought I saw the hound toss it aside during the fight. RIP awesome hammer. :(

Yeah that was a hilarious fakeout. The Hound tossed it when he saw that double damage vs. undead is not as good as "auto-crits undead"

It occurs to me it is very, very vaguely possible we're meant to think they were on that lake for a week or so. They have fresh water and presumably some food left. All they have to do is stay warm :wink:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Part of the problem is that they forgot to add new characters in as they were killing old ones off. The other part came to me earlier, and it's that when they had a surplus of main characters they could sacrifice one to go on a really long journey/buddy road trip which would give the illusion of the passage of time throughout a season and give people's brains anchor points. What they should have done is have Arya roll up at the end of the season or even season 8 if the plot allows. She could have been the one to find Gendry working at some random farriers and brought him up with her.

There's still plenty of opportunity for character development and exploring relationships. I guess the showrunners have no idea how to do that and so just stick to a basic checklist of things that need to happen and hurry through it. Maybe costs have ballooned or something? It's a little baffling given that it's such a popular success with increasing viewership. Why not try to get 2-3 full seasons out of it. They can afford all this CGI and going to fancy settings but writing characters and developing them in interesting ways is apparently wizardry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bates posted:

They can afford all this CGI and going to fancy settings but writing characters and developing them in interesting ways is apparently wizardry.

you have clearly never worked in publishing, editing, or any creative field that requires scripts, because good writing is something you can't just throw money at to solve.

Lucas paid Tom Stoppard - Tom motherfucking Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead Stoppard - to improve the script for Revenge of the Sith and even that didn't work.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hey guys, remember Theon?

What a waste of a character.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/scottymwatson/status/897956225073254401

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bates posted:

There's still plenty of opportunity for character development and exploring relationships. I guess the showrunners have no idea how to do that and so just stick to a basic checklist of things that need to happen and hurry through it. Maybe costs have ballooned or something? It's a little baffling given that it's such a popular success with increasing viewership. Why not try to get 2-3 full seasons out of it. They can afford all this CGI and going to fancy settings but writing characters and developing them in interesting ways is apparently wizardry.

Expensive writing =/= good writing. Case in point, everything that Akiva Goldsman touches.

Also while the show is wildly successful, every additional dollar that HBO spends on sets is diminishing returns. As long as they uphold a certain level of quality and have a handful of pretty spectacles sprinkled throughout each season, your average viewer is not going to care about the production values or new and interesting sets. The goal at the end of the day is maximizing profit.

Also D&D are probably tired of this, having spent a decade plus at this point ushering it from an idea to the pop cultural juggernaut it is now, understandable that all parties involved would rather move on and find other projects while also milking every possible drop of monetization out of the GoT fanbase even after the show ends.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bates posted:

HBO was willing to foot the bill for more seasons but the showrunners want to work on Confederate :911:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i feel so bad for kit harrington being contractually obligated to have that stupid facial hair for so long

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I just realised how many characters Jon is related to:

Ned, Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, DRickon, Benjen, Lyanna, Danymy Queen, Viserys, Maester Aemon, Aerys, Rhaegar, Robert, Stannis, Renly, Shireen, Gendry and even Bloodraven technically.

The incest quota has been too low IMO.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Everyone on that list still living should have an orgy for the good of the realm, imho.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

learnincurve posted:

i'm gonna keep bitching about not doing the north remembers conspiracy because we had two seasons where barely anything happened.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

learnincurve posted:

But GRRM kept adding new characters in the books and look how that turned out.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

You what’s funny? The idea of reading GRRM’s book 6 and thinking “gently caress, 45 pages of Gendry running?”.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
23 of which he's running in the wrong direction, which you, as the reader already know.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Arya was the last character I liked that was still any good, so now I guess there are no characters I like. Tyrion hasn't been worth a drat for years. Jaime had his character development halted in Season 3 and ever since then he's just been in love with his evil sister. Theon has been doing nothing for a long time. I mean there's cool characters like Bronn, but he doesn't have the depth that someone like Jaime had in Season 3, it's hard to get that invested in him. He's just someone cool.

It's like the aren't capable of writing likable characters unless they're a badass and talking about killing something. Every reunion is awkward. Is that all they can do on their own?

It would have actually been a nice change of pace if Arya and Sansa were just getting along and working together after everything they've been through, and there wasn't forced painful tension invented up. Both characters could finally have an ally after being alone for so long. Both characters could finally have a bit of happiness that they're home around someone they like. Nope. That doesn't make sense to Dave Hill.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

There's plenty of possible ways they could have made it less stupid.

- Instantaneous long-distance communication via Bran's warging (someone else already thought of this)
- Having Daenerys already close to the wall because she was skeptical but didn't send her dragons over yet
- Giving Daenerys a dragon dream far in advance that told her she needed to get the gently caress up there

Some of the options could still involve Gendry still being sent but it'd turn out to be pointless, for the extra touch of GRRMy futility and miscommunication.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 18, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

23 of which he's running in the wrong direction, which you, as the reader already know.

Lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like Jaime's been on a slow burn path to "I am so tired of all these throne games!" for years now and I'll be very disappointed if his last scene isn't something like "Hey Bronn... let's just rob the palace and sail the gently caress to Braavos or something, you in?"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

SLOSifl posted:

You what’s funny? The idea of reading GRRM’s book 6 and thinking “gently caress, 45 pages of Gendry running?”.

Followed by 20 pages of him describing the wall at eastwatch because he hasn't done that yet. Won't that be quite the treat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I find it very telling that a large segment of the GoT Reddit is openly acknowledging that the show is bad now.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

I feel like Jaime's been on a slow burn path to "I am so tired of all these throne games!" for years now and I'll be very disappointed if his last scene isn't something like "Hey Bronn... let's just rob the palace and sail the gently caress to Braavos or something, you in?"

Jaime reconciling with Tyrion, hooking up with Brienne, and them sailing to Essos w/ Bronn & Pod/whatever lady is lucky enough to capture his magic dick would be a great ending.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I was admittedly at work while watching the episode, but did Dany for-sure leave for the north because of Gendry’s eBird? Again I actually didn’t pay attention but I kind of thought she was like “oh my spider-sense is telling me that I could have just flown there anyway I’ll brb”.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

I was admittedly at work while watching the episode, but did Dany for-sure leave for the north because of Gendry’s eBird? Again I actually didn’t pay attention but I kind of thought she was like “oh my spider-sense is telling me that I could have just flown there anyway I’ll brb”.

It was specifically because of the Raven dude.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

precision posted:

Jaime's probably gonna die after Cersei does.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

GobiasIndustries posted:

Jaime reconciling with Tyrion, hooking up with Brienne, and them sailing to Essos w/ Bronn & Pod/whatever lady is lucky enough to capture his magic dick would be a great ending.

Lady Giantsbane, dude. That's all I want.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

[quote="“Shimrra Jamaane”" post="“475489931”"]
It was specifically because of the Raven dude.
[/quote]Oh, drat.

Gendry is the only millennial there. He’s carrying two phones, his work phone from the shop and his personal phone. One of them is roaming but it doesn’t cost anything to roam so it’s okay.

Then he realizes he doesn’t have Dany’s number but Tyrion might and sends him a Snapchat message.

G-rat: u with ur chick
Ty: ya she right here u jell LOL
G-rat: hehe yo we need her shits
G-rat: for reals tho bud
Ty: yo I’ll let her know
G-rat: k coo

Ty: k she otw
Ty: when the draft dood
G-rat: tuesday got that kl thing wit your sis
G-ray: u coming

G-rat: yo u comin dude
Ty: ya wait to what?
G-rat: draft
Ty: ya
G-rat: k

Ty: she otw
G-rat: ya

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
If I were Bronn I would've long ago taken my gold and hosed off to Essos. gently caress Westeros and all of its attendant bullshit.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
So is there literally any sensible reason why Cersei wouldn't just go "lol" and kill all her enemies that are stupid enough to gather in one spot

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dragons.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

boner confessor posted:

gendry has insane cardio from all that rowing

If Gendry's actor is smart like Hot Pie's, he should def cash in his GoT memeiness and start a Fitness Program company. Row for weeks, run like the wind.

VaultAggie posted:

Have you not seen all the rowing and running Gendry's been doing? Dude doesn't need a hammer, he gonna punch WW into shards next season.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Counterargument: Qyburn.

Dude has contingency plan for everything. While they were playing in the wall he probably invented an anti-dragon flame spray.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Even with dragons, I don't think Cersei would bat an eye at losing a few thousand smallfolk to dragonfire if it means killing Dany, Tyrion, and Jon

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't think she cares about the smallfolk at all. But she does care about herself.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Low Desert Punk posted:

Even with dragons, I don't think Cersei would bat an eye at losing a few thousand smallfolk to dragonfire if it means killing Dany, Tyrion, and Jon

Except this show doesn't have consistency and the character whose personality has been spelled out for 6 seasons to be "can't think in long term, gives into petty revenge" suddenly decided to become super tactical and let the one person she hates the most in the world get in and out of her city cause it may prove useful for her.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

SLOSifl posted:

Oh, drat.

Gendry is the only millennial there. He’s carrying two phones, his work phone from the shop and his personal phone. One of them is roaming but it doesn’t cost anything to roam so it’s okay.

Then he realizes he doesn’t have Dany’s number but Tyrion might and sends him a Snapchat message.

G-rat: u with ur chick
Ty: ya she right here u jell LOL
G-rat: hehe yo we need her shits
G-rat: for reals tho bud
Ty: yo I’ll let her know
G-rat: k coo

Ty: k she otw
Ty: when the draft dood
G-rat: tuesday got that kl thing wit your sis
G-ray: u coming

G-rat: yo u comin dude
Ty: ya wait to what?
G-rat: draft
Ty: ya
G-rat: k

Ty: she otw
G-rat: ya

what

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Did they ever once acknowledge that Jon's team actually had like three or four redshirt wildlings or Night's Watch with them? I thought it was literally just the seven named characters. I think the first one gets scragged by the bear when they first spot it, and I'm like, well, I guess that was a random wildling, and then I *think* the bear kills another during the fight, but then it mauls Thoros and I guess I just assumed the other guy was a protagonist but he must have been fine, because they didn't spend a minute worrying about anyone else the bear mauled besides Thoros. I only really got confused when the other two redshirts go down in a horde of zombies and all our remaining protagonists are all alive and well. I can't remember seeing a few random wildlings hanging out with the D&D party last episode, because holy poo poo were they ever destined to die to show that our Heroes are in Danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Random question: What the hell happened to Ghost? Did they kill him off somewhere last season unceremoniously or is HBO just too cheap to pony up for a dog in a background shot or two? It seems like Jon doesn't even remember that he has a direwolf.

Phenotype posted:

Did they ever once acknowledge that Jon's team actually had like three or four redshirt wildlings or Night's Watch with them? I thought it was literally just the seven named characters. I think the first one gets scragged by the bear, and I'm like, well, I guess that was a random wildling, and then I *think* the bear kills another during the fight, but then it mauls Thoros and I guess I just assumed the other guy was a protagonist but he must have been fine, because they didn't spend a minute worrying about anyone else the bear mauled besides Thoros. I only really got confused when the other two redshirts go down in a horde of zombies and all our remaining protagonists are all alive and well. I can't remember seeing a few random wildlings hanging out with the D&D party last episode, because holy poo poo were they ever destined to die to show that our Heroes are in Danger.

It wasn't spelled out, but in the Magnificent Seven shot of them walking into the North there are 3-4 guys carrying a sled behind them. You can see them meandering around the rest of the main group during the shots of them walking, just look for the guys with their faces obscured.

• Locked thread