Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

A good question would be to ask the owners of that business if they would be happy that the government take over or regulate these services and potentially put them out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I agree. company gets loads of cash and kudos, poor get a bit of food.

Everybody wins.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Yeah if the company is getting loads of cash and kudos I think I see the problem.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Les Affaires posted:

A good question would be to ask the owners of that business if they would be happy that the government take over or regulate these services and potentially put them out of business.

I am not sure what you are trying to get at here. They would just transition to being a normal food service and if they want they can continue giving the same dollar value to charities unless they are getting outlawed too.

klen dool posted:

Eatmylunch lunches are real good though, and they feed a lot of kids. I am not 100% sure I see a problem - but why not be a charity?

They need money to function and instead of chasing grants they go after customers one meal at a time. They are enacting a self imposed tax to fill a need the government should be handling but are failing to do so.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
It's treating basic consumer choice as activism/a replacement for actual positive change

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As others have said it would be better if there wasn't the need to have something like this in the first place. If it doesn't pass your purity test tough poo poo, that's on the government.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exmarx posted:

It's treating basic consumer choice as activism/a replacement for actual positive change

That's fatuous.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Les Affaires posted:

A good question would be to ask the owners of that business if they would be happy that the government take over or regulate these services and potentially put them out of business raise children out of poverty.

Probably.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

oohhboy posted:

They need money to function and instead of chasing grants they go after customers one meal at a time. They are enacting a self imposed tax to fill a need the government should be handling but are failing to do so.

Yeah but a charity doesn't have to chase grants, they could do what they are doing right now. MedicAlert isn't a for profit business, and they don't run on grants. They run on large donations from private individuals, and membership fees, and purchases of bracelets.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I mean, I'd rather capitalism be doing that thing than the thing where they just keep all the money and keep loving over the poor.
This is D&D: Compromise from the glorious shining future that would result if everyone unthinkingly followed #ideology is the anathema, my friend.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

klen dool posted:

Yeah but a charity doesn't have to chase grants, they could do what they are doing right now. MedicAlert isn't a for profit business, and they don't run on grants. They run on large donations from private individuals, and membership fees, and purchases of bracelets.

Not saying there aren't other sources other than grants. I figured it was more expedient to not list them and use "Grants" as an umbrella term.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
edit: nvm

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Can you say this in English please.

"I've seriously considered voting TOP".

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Roy Morgan's latest poll just dropped -- Greens at 9%.

RM tend to overshoot Green results, while CM tend to go well under. My current prediction of Actual Green Support -- 6.5-7%.

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7309-roy-morgan-new-zealand-voting-intention-august-2017-201708181513

Even with confidence intervals, Labour/NZF/Green looking a lot more likely, especially with Winston pulling ahead of the Greens: I don't think he'd be happy about being #3 in that coalition.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 18, 2017

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Roy Morgan's latest poll just dropped -- Greens at 9%.

RM tend to overshoot Green results, while CM tend to go well under. My current prediction of Actual Green Support -- 6.5-7%.

https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7309-roy-morgan-new-zealand-voting-intention-august-2017-201708181513

Even with confidence intervals, Labour/NZF/Green looking a lot more likely, especially with Winston pulling ahead of the Greens: I don't think he'd be happy about being #3 in that coalition.

Tbh, I think 8-9% is realistic, the Greens drama may have cost them a lot of potential new voters, but I doubt their core voter base is going desert the party.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/95829627/life-after-colin-does-the-conservative-party-have-a-chance-in-2017

The Conservative party style exists. It is now lead by a builder from Rangiora who doesn't understand words.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

that article is pure gold

quote:

Baker is not a polished, media-trained communicator. He says "theological" when he means "theoretical". Asked if he would join a Labour-Green coalition, he says "that's too dependable". He says the campaign is "roots-based" when he means "grassroots".

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
So we meet again, Dr Malaprop.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yes we meat again, but this time you are the stewed ent and I am the master.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

He says the campaign is "roots-based" 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_(Sepultura_album)

Would be an improvement on everything they have done so far.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh come on don't prosecute the guy for getting a few things wrong, give him the better fit of the doubt. He's just an honest, down on his earth bloke.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

bike tory posted:

Oh come on don't prosecute the guy for getting a few things wrong, give him the better fit of the doubt. He's just an honest, down on his earth bloke.

For all intensive purposes, you can take it for granite that he's a good guy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vulpes posted:

For all intensive purposes, you can take it for granite that he's a good guy.

owns so brutal you'll need to call teh armed defenders squad

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

owns so brutal you'll need to call teh armed defenders squad

I think you'll find it's the arm defenders squad thank you very much get it right jeez you're supposed to be a mod

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

sebmojo posted:

teh armed defenders squad

The who?

Somfin posted:

it's the arm defenders squad

The what?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The new UMR poll is looking better for the Greens, they're holding steady on 8%, Labour's up to 37% and National is down to 40%. NZF 9%.

Polling period was 11th-16th of August, Metiria resigned on the 13th so it's likely to be fairly accurate to the latest state of public opinion.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ardern's favourability is at 70% in that same poll, as opposed to 57% for Bill English.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Will be interesting to see how she handles the PM role. Talk about chucked in the deep end.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
labour's doing pretty good eh

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to give Andrew Little kudos for selflessly stepping down for Ardern. Most would have held on to the bitter end for that shot at power and the history book but he did the right thing. Just to show he is a good guy and leader, just one that couldn't win the election. I hope he continues to do good work in the background.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bike tory posted:

The new UMR poll is looking better for the Greens, they're holding steady on 8%, Labour's up to 37% and National is down to 40%. NZF 9%.

Polling period was 11th-16th of August, Metiria resigned on the 13th so it's likely to be fairly accurate to the latest state of public opinion.

They would have been doing better if they had stuck to the environment rather than take the social policy gamble 6 weeks out from a general election of this neo-lib as gently caress country of ours.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nah it worked initially, they went up to 15% right after she admitted to the benefit fraud. It was the media beatup, scrutiny and accusations/assumptions that she "didn't really need it" that caused the worm to turn.

Giovanni Tiso wrote a really good thing about it: http://pantograph-punch.com/post/assassination-of-metiria-turei

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Spiteski posted:

The who?

The what?

It's a joke, intentionally mispronouncing armed offenders squad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

klen dool posted:

never change, nzd&d thread

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

klen dool posted:

What's that then?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Spiteski posted:

What's that then?

Take potshots at politicians and embark on a world of discovery.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Or just be Maori and runn a pseudo military boot camp.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bike tory posted:

Nah it worked initially, they went up to 15% right after she admitted to the benefit fraud. It was the media beatup, scrutiny and accusations/assumptions that she "didn't really need it" that caused the worm to turn.

Giovanni Tiso wrote a really good thing about it: http://pantograph-punch.com/post/assassination-of-metiria-turei

Yeah I read that but doesn't really say why they decided to take that gamble at all. Yeah they bumped up to 15% but of course when you say you're a "benefit cheat" that is going to give loads of keyboard warriors, news hungry editors and other assorted dorks free reign to dive into that persons past.

They would have probably got away with it if it was just the benefit thing because in all honesty who hasn't done that. I would say our deputy pm is guilty of that very same thing.

But when you have all that other nonsense from when you were a member of a joke party floating around, you still want to roll the dice on it?

Yeah it sucks that the media dug in deep on this

Yeah it sucks that nz has lost a really good leader because of this

It really REALLY sucks that we as a country can't have a mature conversation about social welfare in general

But the greens know this! They know their base support is about 8%. Pushing that envelope so close to the line, when they were cruising at 10-12% and likely to be a nice government support party just doing what they did, just didn't make sense to me.

She could have done so much good in the ministry of social development. She couldn't just stay quiet until she got that job to start this conversation. Now she is on the outskirts of the party she once lead rather admirably.

I'm not full out green like some of you guys here, but I do see the value of having the greens in parliament, so yeah it sucks that this happened.

But they caused this. It is a self inflicted wound.

I hope they get back to their standard 10-12%. Maybe more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Their goal was to motivate people who normally don't vote. It was noble as gently caress, they were trying to create new voters rather than taking them from Labour who were in the doldrums at the time.

Unrelated, TVNZ has their Vote Compass up again:

https://votecompass.tvnz.co.nz

Seems about right. I don't agree with where they've placed TOP but w/e no one cares about them.

• Locked thread