Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
As excited as I am for new game systems, worlds, stories, and goofs, I'm really really excited for another The The Adventure Zone Zone next week. Everything Griffin planned combined so well with what the other three improvised to wrap the whole story up in a nice bow. I want to hear some behind the scenes about what they came up with and when (like how long has Cliff been planning that going back in time to stop himself from casting heal gag?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wait... what happened to Scuttle Buddy? ....did Merle leave it behind in the nothing?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
I don't think it was really there to begin with

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm not crying, you're crying.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

thexerox123 posted:

Wait... what happened to Scuttle Buddy? ....did Merle leave it behind in the nothing?

Obviously it scuttled on back with him! He then preceded to lose it again almost instantly forcing it to come find him again. This process repeated itself over and over again for the rest of Merle's very long life.

Add me to the list of people who cried during this episode. I really liked this arc, and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next! Good job Horns Boys, good job.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was really grateful for the goofing at the end of the episode. It would have been hard to have left it on Merle's death, and having the frame pull out to be just Clint and the boys teasing each other was perfect.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farg posted:

turning the extended cast into summons to fight one winged john kicked rear end

it was the only way it could have gone, and it was perfect.

of course the show about helping others and being kind when it's easier to be cruel and poo poo ends with a boss fight that literally is just The Friends You Made Along The Way

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm a piece of poo poo and don't cry but I still enjoyed this finale a lot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Do I really have to loving slog through a thousand hours of podcast to hear TAZ or is there an abridged set of episodes?

gently caress I really just don't have time for the whole thing.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Episode was good. The final fight gave me a bit of an Undertale vibe, but it was a solid episode. I'm curious to see what they do next.

Wasabi the J posted:

Do I really have to loving slog through a thousand hours of podcast to hear TAZ or is there an abridged set of episodes?

I don't see how you could abridge it. I suppose you could always listen on 2x or 2.5x speed.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You could always not listen?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Do you find MBMBAM to be a slog, too? Why listen?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I listened to it while exercising or doing low concentration chores and errands over two weeks

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Because I don't believe that every hour of content on the adventure zone could possibly increase the value of the story; it's over 80 hours long.

And judging it against mbmbam is really obtuse, there's not a greater mbmbam narrative.

And I WANT to experience it but that is a large time commitment.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

QuoProQuid posted:

The final fight gave me a bit of an Undertale vibe, but it was a solid episode.

I think you mean it gave you an Earthbound vibe :colbert: also, a Persona 3-5 vibe, and an Okami vibe.

That said, I love the whole "Everyone you met and helped along the way in your journey comes back to help you and give you strength in the final battle" thing so as far as I'm concerned any game, movie, tv dhow, and just stories in general can use it as much as they want.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, the problem is that it's not like there are some episodes that are important to the larger narrative, and some that are utterly irrelevant. That would be like if there were a book where only some chapters were relevant to the overall story. Some episodes are more important than others, but probably every episode has some piece of exposition, or introduces a character, or even just starts an in-joke that plays into the whole big thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the things that don't build the narrative are usually good jokes you'd probably enjoy, so there's really not much worth skipping.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Wasabi the J posted:

Because I don't believe that every hour of content on the adventure zone could possibly increase the value of the story; it's over 80 hours long.

And judging it against mbmbam is really obtuse, there's not a greater mbmbam narrative.

Not every minute is necessary, but every episode aside from the live ones advances the plot or develops character. There's no way to cut the excess without cutting chunks out of each episode.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Maybe just start listening to it and decide for yourself if it's worth your time, there's no real critical path you can follow since it all builds on itself.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think you mean it gave you an Earthbound vibe :colbert: also, a Persona 3-5 vibe, and an Okami vibe.

or an SMRPG vibe, because Final Shadow John is literally Culex.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wasabi the J posted:

You're already resistant to the idea of consuming the whole thing.
Maybe you should just do it and not make excuses OR not listen at all.
Either way, arguing with the thread about how you can't listen is obnoxious.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Inzombiac posted:

You're already resistant to the idea of consuming the whole thing.
Maybe you should just do it and not make excuses OR not listen at all.
Either way, arguing with the thread about how you can't listen is obnoxious.

I think it's a reasonable desire, albeit one that cannot be fulfilled in a reasonable manner.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wasabi the J posted:

Just listen to the first episode and see if you like it. If you do, just start listening to an hour a day while you're doing the dishes or laundry or driving to work or at the gym and you'll be done in about two months.

The great thing about podcasts is you can enjoy them while doing other stuff that's necessary but tedious.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I've listened to like five episodes so far, but it's taken me hours to get there since I can only listen during my commute.

Sorry I took such a hostile tone, but sometimes when the McElroy's are having fun, the boys lose their sense of structure and timing; I was wondering if there were moments I could afford to cut from the experience or not.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

No, but the experience becomes a lot more structured as time goes on. Right now you're at the stage where they're just doing this for kicks, and nothing is set in stone.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm not bawling but I'm kind of emotionally wrung out after a really bad day.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Wasabi the J posted:

I've listened to like five episodes so far, but it's taken me hours to get there since I can only listen during my commute.

Sorry I took such a hostile tone, but sometimes when the McElroy's are having fun, the boys lose their sense of structure and timing; I was wondering if there were moments I could afford to cut from the experience or not.

You can stop listening after chapter three and lose nothing of value

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

It's episodic and the story and characters build on themselves. But it's on demand, so don't think "Oh god I have to listen to 80 hours of this to get to the pay off". Just listen to an episode when you have time, and if you're still enjoying it, listen to the next episode when you have time in the future. If you're not enjoying it, listen to/do something else. Repeat until you get to the end or feel like turning it off.

Edit: ^^^ That guy gets it. he stopped listening when he got tired of it. I enjoyed and listened to it until the end. That's the magic of free, on demand entertainment!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Next series should just be New Game+

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Next series should just be New Game+

Lucas: Okay, so, have you heard of 'speedrunning'?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That was a good finale.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Dj Meow Mix posted:

"How does Magnus die?" is what got me in the end.

100% this. i was a mess because even if it's not the last segment, it's very much the end. It hit me extra hard because it's the end of a three year long project, and it's the first time a podcast saying how long it's been on made me feel that time. I absolutely needed the actual ending to be what it was a low key, cute epilogue outside of the story , or I was going to be a weepy wreck for a while longer.

luckily, i have cum town to detox from emotions and feelings

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

If you don't want to bother with this story, you can probably skip to episodes innnnn about a month? They'll be trying newer stuff then, that should be easier to jump in on.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm actually about to jump head-first into TAZ because D&D on Harmontown just ain't cuttin' it anymore. It's definitely why I creep in this thread more than post, I'm just not familiar with the material. Yet.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

At the end with Magnus when he was in his bed, all goals accomplished at the end of a long life, surrounded by his loved ones and at total peace, I was hoping against hope that an assassin would dive into the room and stab him, and everyone would agree it was the most opportune time for him to be murdered

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Comedy option: Just listen to the "Previously On" segments at the beginning of each episode.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So... any theories on "Shrimp! Heaven! Now!"? What a puzzle.
Someone found themselves on a set for a David Lynch movie

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Just listen all of to it and enjoy it's funny and good and absolutely loving free. Or uhh don't.

Imagine complaining because there are hours of entertaining pod content out there that you have no obligation to listen to

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Also, I don't think there's much point to skipping through and only getting the plot. I enjoyed it, and it was a lot of fun, but the metaplot itself is pretty simple and derivative. It's Griffin's first story, and that shows in some ways. The whole point and what makes it worth it is the characters they build together and all the moment they improvise that make you care about what happens to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DoombatINC posted:

At the end with Magnus when he was in his bed, all goals accomplished at the end of a long life, surrounded by his loved ones and at total peace, I was hoping against hope that an assassin would dive into the room and stab him, and everyone would agree it was the most opportune time for him to be murdered

That would have been the perfect callback and now I'm disappointed they didn't do it.