Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Just drink the tequila :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I will Fight you over the definition of a Drink

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a particular brand of those lever juicers that's better than the others, or are they all the same?

I cannot say if one is better than another, I got a refurbished one and still needed to tighten it with an allen wrench. But even then, I love it with a passion. It weighs a metric gently caress-ton and does most of the work just with gravity and a weak wrist pushing it down.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

CI's recipe was nowhere near spicy enough

I haven't tried it yet, but their recipes are NEVER spicy enough.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Hauki posted:

Monster

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am going to venture a controversial opinion: I like margaritas both with and without triple sec. I think they are both good drinks and as long as the model of margarita machine you have can be programmed to cater to either taste, you'll make tasty drinks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If I'm on margaritas they're usually being consumed with purpose too quickly for me to wonder over if the flavor would be slightly better with minor changes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but their recipes are NEVER spicy enough.

I would guess because that enormous manchild Christopher Kimball is a huge baby about spice, so when he taste-tested recipes he would frown and grumble about his delicate palate so they had to de-spice them. Now that he's gone (from ATK at least, I would imagine CI as well), they might get a little more aggressive with their heat.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

I would guess because that enormous manchild Christopher Kimball is a huge baby about spice, so when he taste-tested recipes he would frown and grumble about his delicate palate so they had to de-spice them. Now that he's gone (from ATK at least, I would imagine CI as well), they might get a little more aggressive with their heat.

Yes, he's left CI entirely and it was apparently not a very pretty separation

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Hauki posted:

Which drink is the most comparable to alcoholic ice-cream soup?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lawnie posted:

Yes, he's left CI entirely and it was apparently not a very pretty separation

he's also apparently a gigantic tool

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

GrAviTy84 posted:

he's also apparently a gigantic tool

The bow-tie was my first clue, but I didn't want to say anything

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

vermin posted:

The bow-tie was my first clue, but I didn't want to say anything

see also: alton brown :sympathy:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

vermin posted:

Which drink is the most comparable to alcoholic ice-cream soup?

Probably not the closest but a good white russian maybe

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Advocaat

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

One meat substitution / dish I found that works awesooommmmeee is using the Morningstar breakfast sausage patties to make white gravy for biscuits and gravy. Add in a little more butter to fry them up in, chop them up and crumble then throw back in for a little crisping then toss in your flour and milk and it's great. Very very close match in flavor and texture to standard white gravy for biscuits.

I forgot to reply to this, but I've done this, and it comes out amazing.

This is also where I got my inspiration to combine seitan and TVP for making mock meats, because pretty much all of the Morningstar Farms mock meats are based on a combination of the two.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

see also: alton brown :sympathy:

He's a southern Christian conservative, possibly worse than a Vermont bow tie boy. Possibly.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
:nallears:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

so what does everyone think of gun control

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The Midniter posted:

so what does everyone think of gun control

Is a gun a sandwich?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

using two hands amirite?! :gb2tfr:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I had a sub to CI for over a decade, then ended up dropping it when it seemed to be repeating itself. I hadn't heard about the falling out with him and CI and ATK, so thanks for that. What do CI editorials look like now, are they actually about food and not rambling stories about Vermont and how some curmudgeon's tractor broke down and what a good horse ol' Freckles was before he saw a spice and died?

Coincidentally, I happen to have just gotten the first issue of Milk Street, Kimball's new magazine, from a friend. Let's look!

Inside cover: "Milk Street travels the world to bring you the very best ideas and techniques with no lists of hard-to-find ingredients, strange cookware, or all-day methods to slow you down."

Page 2: Use a falafel scoop to make cookies, only $12 on Amazon. (As opposed to, I dunno, a loving spoon.)

CI taught me many things, but goddamn does Kimball make me irrationally angry.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Kimball is the whitebreadest of whitebreads.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The whitest bread u know

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Kimball is the whitebreadest of whitebreads.

BraveUlysses posted:

The whitest bread u know

Guys, he named his new "oooh, gonna travel the world and bring all these wacky foreign food techniques to the masses" food enterprise Milk Street. This poo poo writes itself.

(Yes, I know it's the name of the street their home office is on, but if I'm a new cook looking for easy ways to get into some *~ethnic~* variety, am I gonna pick up a mag called "Milk Street"? Maybe I need to crosspost this in PYF Dumb Marketing)

edit: also, in case you're curious, of course the editorial page features an illustration of Kimball looking smug as gently caress

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 17, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Guys, he named his new "oooh, gonna travel the world and bring all these wacky foreign food techniques to the masses" food enterprise Milk Street. This poo poo writes itself.

(Yes, I know it's the name of the street their home office is on, but if I'm a new cook looking for easy ways to get into some *~ethnic~* variety, am I gonna pick up a mag called "Milk Street"? Maybe I need to crosspost this in PYF Dumb Marketing)

edit: also, in case you're curious, of course the editorial page features an illustration of Kimball looking smug as gently caress

I'd like more Milk Street reviews to be honest.

"What kind of milk is Milk Street, Chris?"
"One Percent."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

vermin posted:

"What kind of milk is Milk Street, Chris?"
"One Percent."

perfect in every whey

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've never really curd for Kimball myself.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

vermin posted:

Not sure if you mean you'd like more honest reviews, or you'd honestly like more reviews, but if it's the latter...

Page 7's article on hummus, the first line: "We make it wrong. We serve it wrong. We eat it wrong." Goes on to wax poetic about how it's served in Tel Aviv

Emphasis on the use of "we". Apparently no one who buys this magazine could possibly be from the Middle East, that might imply brownish people exist in the US

holy poo poo i'm sorry for the poor typing but I've just been blinded by his whiteness

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 17, 2017

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
My mom had an issue of Milk Street laying around and he had some recipe for beef stew or whatever and the whole intro was about how browning meat is just suuuuch a burden and he doesn't know why anyone would intentionally put themselves through that, so here's stew recipe where you don't have to brown anything. He's the world's biggest weenie and seems to be proud of it too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I posted about the first issue in chat thread back in November:

Steve Yun posted:

It's here! It's here!

I'm pretty sure the main point of contention between Cooks Illustrated and Christopher Kimball was whether he got to keep writing folksy essays or not

Steve Yun posted:

The review section of Christopher Kimball's new magazine only list items that he recommends. I find this less useful, because Cooks illustrated not only told you what was good, but which ones to avoid as well.

Steve Yun posted:

Christopher kimball's hot new take: maillard is for losers

Steve Yun posted:

Someone still has a chip on their shoulder about Kenji's pie crust recipe

Steve Yun posted:

OK, I think I can guess who the core audience for this magazine is

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Human Tornada posted:

My mom had an issue of Milk Street laying around and he had some recipe for beef stew or whatever and the whole intro was about how browning meat is just suuuuch a burden and he doesn't know why anyone would intentionally put themselves through that, so here's stew recipe where you don't have to brown anything. He's the world's biggest weenie and seems to be proud of it too.

Beef stew without properly browned beef sounds awful. :barf:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Beef stew without properly browned beef sounds awful. :barf:

Yeah, his take was that fish sauce, soy sauce, peppers, herbs, ginger and animal fat are good enough to stand in for browning. C'mon now.

I was thinking about writing a defense for Kimball and how he brought a lot of good cooking knowledge to the general uneducated public in the 90's, but then I looked over my Milk Street posts and snapped out of it

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Jesus. I mean the man is on my poo poo list for saying Vermont Cheese is unquestionably better than Wisconsin, but to add stealing the ATK/Cook's stuff and then trying to rebrand as "Milquetoast" as possible. UGH.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Milk Street Magazine sounds like a real page turner of a 'zine.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Anybody got a recipe for a simple coconut icing that will harden at room temperature, similar to how melted chocolate behaves?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Coconut oil's melting point is 76°, so no. You could do coconut magic shell for ice cream, or you could do a base of something else and just put a bunch of coconut in it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Not sure if you mean you'd like more honest reviews, or you'd honestly like more reviews, but if it's the latter...

I'd like more reviews. Roasting Milk Street Kimball to a maillard is entertaining.

I think there's room for a thread calling out foodie celebrities with dumb opinions.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Page 7's article on hummus, the first line: "We make it wrong. We serve it wrong. We eat it wrong." Goes on to wax poetic about how it's served in Tel Aviv

Emphasis on the use of "we". Apparently no one who buys this magazine could possibly be from the Middle East, that might imply brownish people exist in the US

holy poo poo i'm sorry for the poor typing but I've just been blinded by his whiteness

I tend to shun tradition, but how are humans supposed to eat hummus?

I dip vegetables in it for lunch so I'd probably give them a heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Coconut oil's melting point is 76°, so no. You could do coconut magic shell for ice cream, or you could do a base of something else and just put a bunch of coconut in it.

Sorry, I meant coconut flavored icing. Like for drizzling over biscotti. I'm not much of a baker so I don't even know if icing is the right term.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 18, 2017