Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The bases I tried the flakes were falling off if I just inverted the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like many other people I feel the Age of Sigmar setting could be the Outer Planes to the old world.

The Age of Sigmar setting is even set up like Norse Mythology. With diffrent realms and stuff, they could just make the old world Midgard.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did you wash the bases first? That sounds like you might have had release agent on them.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It was happening even when I had primer or a base coat down.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like many other people I feel the Age of Sigmar setting could be the Outer Planes to the old world.

The Age of Sigmar setting is even set up like Norse Mythology. With diffrent realms and stuff, they could just make the old world Midgard.

I'm sure GW has had thoughts about doing some sort of retcon to this effect but let's be honest here- that's pretty high risk. I honestly don't think Stormcast would ever fit in with the setting of the old world in such a way that they feel right.

I think this new thing they're doing with city-states could be sort of cool. The big thing the setting is missing is any sort of grounding; we have no idea how common people live, or even where they live for the most part. Hopefully this new track will be enough.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Stormcasts would easily fit into the Old World as "Daemons" of Order. Although it does add some optimism into the setting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

Stormcasts would easily fit into the Old World as "Daemons" of Order. Although it does add some optimism into the setting.

Yeah I can see it that way. Though I would keep them decently mysterious and sometimes hostile to the empire in cases. Somtimes going against it feeling they are not doing as Sigmar would want or something like that.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Speaking of Stormcasts, just seen a picture of the female Stormcast that's coming with Shadespire. Why GW, why? :(

Boob armour, bare midriff, thin waist, wide hips, check, check, check and check.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They are very determined to show that Sigmarines are NOT soulless husks in animated armor.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

richyp posted:

Speaking of Stormcasts, just seen a picture of the female Stormcast that's coming with Shadespire. Why GW, why? :(

Boob armour, bare midriff, thin waist, wide hips, check, check, check and check.

It's not a bare midriff, just a stylized plate. They got a lot of requests for women stormcasts so I think they wanted to make one easily identifiable.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not a bare midriff, just a stylized plate. They got a lot of requests for women stormcasts so I think they wanted to make one easily identifiable.

I would prefer a female stormcast modeled after Brienne of Tarth. That's a god drat female warrior.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

richyp posted:

Eh at least they're not individually sculpted boobs on the armor, I'll take what I can get. :smith:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Literally only needed a headswap.

Not as bad as it could have been, they haven't hired Doc Thunder yet, but kinda disappointing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You can make female Sigmarines even easier than a head swap. Just add a line in the fluff that states, "Some of these are women."

Boom, done.

Fully armored warriors in masks. There doesn't need to be any specific gendering.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

You can make female Sigmarines even easier than a head swap. Just add a line in the fluff that states, "Some of these are women."

Boom, done.

Fully armored warriors in masks. There doesn't need to be any specific gendering.
They'd actually already done that for the Tempest Lords if I remember correctly

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pendent posted:

Honestly that's pretty cool if they have.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly that's pretty cool if they have.

The way I remember it Sigmar saved the entire household of some particularly badass king, the members of which would become the Tempest Lords. I don't think it was explicitly stated that there were women included but it was heavily implied.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Atlas Hugged posted:

Boom, done.

That was the reason for my moaning. They're just peeps in massive armour and could be either male or female and with that amount of armour plate and completely enclosed masks there'd be no way to know. The ones I painted up, that'll pad out my wife's Seraphon warband (until I paint them) for our first game have now been named the Storm Ladies.

Pendent posted:

It's in the book Godbeasts apparently, according to 1d4chan anyway.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pendent posted:

The way I remember it Sigmar saved the entire household of some particularly badass king, the members of which would become the Tempest Lords. I don't think it was explicitly stated that there were women included but it was heavily implied.

In this hobby making that kind of an assumption can be dangerous.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Pre-orders for new stuff (GH 2017 and new box sets) are up on the GW site.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
First Seraphon done complete with 32mm over-done base. Trying to decide whether to do Saurus Knights or 5 of the Saurus Warriors next.

richyp posted:

Pink Skink

Red lighting on pink was not a great idea, it's barely noticable compared to the gold of the staff. Still not sure about Zandri Dust as the base trim but it does centre the pink with the gold of the staff head.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Was posting in the w40k thread about how i'm getting back into this crazy hobby after a new GW store opened 5 minutes from my house. Was going to start with some space marines since I picked up the First Strike box set but after going back I'm honestly blown away by the Age of Sigmar miniatures. So far the Sylvaneth and Malignants are interesting me the most. Any tips on getting started with these armies? I assume the Start Collecting sets are a pretty good deal? Just wish the Sylvaneth wasn't mostly just Dryads.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Start Collecting boxes are the only good deals.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Chill la Chill posted:

The Start Collecting boxes are the only good deals.

The really cheap two player box isn't bad value if you want the khorne or stormcasts as it has 4 of the snapfit boxes and a small rulebook plus dice for the £20.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Blightwar is a new two army boxset: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/20/blightwar-new-rules-new-models-and-moregw-homepage-post-2/

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I think the new allies box for malignants is a good deal. An even better thing is the skellie box, which is full of good stuff and doesn't shove named characters down your throat. Take two, throw out one wraith king in favour of a vampire, add skellies to taste.

Are there good AoS books? So far the lore seems super boring, and the two audiobooks I listened to that were supposed to sell me on sigmarines (finding alarielle, recovering ghal maraz, getting some gate from khornates) really failed on it.

I have also played both Hinterlands and Skirmish, and the were... meh. Soldiers would usually get into a crush at some point, and everything would be solved there. No dynamic, running battles. I was really disappointed, since I thought lowercase s skirmish is the answer to all that ails any hams system.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

JcDent posted:

I think the new allies box for malignants is a good deal. An even better thing is the skellie box, which is full of good stuff and doesn't shove named characters down your throat. Take two, throw out one wraith king in favour of a vampire, add skellies to taste.

Are there good AoS books? So far the lore seems super boring, and the two audiobooks I listened to that were supposed to sell me on sigmarines (finding alarielle, recovering ghal maraz, getting some gate from khornates) really failed on it.

I have also played both Hinterlands and Skirmish, and the were... meh. Soldiers would usually get into a crush at some point, and everything would be solved there. No dynamic, running battles. I was really disappointed, since I thought lowercase s skirmish is the answer to all that ails any hams system.

Sylvaneth and Pestilliens short stories are alright, as is City of Secrets and Plague Garden. The new Eight Lamentations series sounds really promising.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Guess my murder bros are getting nurgle allies after all.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The snail rider is the best mini I've seen in a long time.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Floppychop posted:

The snail rider is the best mini I've seen in a long time.

Snail rider is up there with Belisarius Cawl in terms of being an instant classic. I want my friend to field it in 40K as a Palanquin of Nurgle or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Milotic posted:

Snail rider is up there with Belisarius Cawl in terms of being an instant classic. I want my friend to field it in 40K as a Palanquin of Nurgle or something.

I am guessing he will get 40k stats.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

I am liking the game more. But the Lore has not really captivated me and I still barely understand it. So far it seems sort of like Norse Mythology, but with no Midgard to ground anything.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 20, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So far it seems like a 12-yo's scribbling.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Slaves to Darkness Khorne Lord of Chaos

richyp posted:

Managed to grab the plastic Chaos Lord cheap yesterday so I head swapped him with a spare Blood Warrior Helmet to make a Lord of Chaos marked with Khorne. Also chopped up his square base and sprue to add around his raised base to make it look crumbling.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Boom, done.

That's be my preferred option, cause I'm a lazy bastard at heart. That being said the model doesn't look that bad; it's not a baremidriff and while boob plate is stupid that style doesn't look particularly sexualised. Yeah it's still dumb from a realism perspective, but GW shoulderpads basically mean they've long since forfeited all realism complaints ever.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

That's be my preferred option, cause I'm a lazy bastard at heart. That being said the model doesn't look that bad; it's not a baremidriff and while boob plate is stupid that style doesn't look particularly sexualised. Yeah it's still dumb from a realism perspective, but GW shoulderpads basically mean they've long since forfeited all realism complaints ever.

It's less about the realism of it and the continued push by these companies to distinguish "male" and "female" through armor or clothing. Basically, it says that the only thing that makes someone a woman is their breasts, in one form or another.

Star Wars and Game of Thrones got this right, coincidentally with the same actress. The only thing that actually needs to be done is for some of the characters to be women in the fluff, purely. The actual models can be basically the same, maybe give a woman a different haircut if they expose the head.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

It's the narrowed hips on the mini that makes my eyes roll the most.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's less about the realism of it and the continued push by these companies to distinguish "male" and "female" through armor or clothing. Basically, it says that the only thing that makes someone a woman is their breasts, in one form or another.

Star Wars and Game of Thrones got this right, coincidentally with the same actress. The only thing that actually needs to be done is for some of the characters to be women in the fluff, purely. The actual models can be basically the same, maybe give a woman a different haircut if they expose the head.

This 100%.

I made another Female Stormcast, this one's a bit different than the one to her right.

richyp fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 21, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Idk, the male armor shows an idealized male torso, so it makes sense that a female one would have a... female one?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Idk, the male armor shows an idealized male torso, so it makes sense that a female one would have a... female one?

Maybe the idea of 'idealized <insert gender here> torso' is inherently stupid and that's why people are annoyed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think the above examples are great, especially the middle one. If you really wanted to insist on it having a less "masculine" form, then just make it slightly thinner but otherwise keep it the same. And you can make it thinner without accentuating the hips or breasts or adding mid-drift. These really aren't even supposed to have humanity, right? So why would the women be sexualized?

• Locked thread