Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
How many active players are big games getting at the moment?

is 28 players too large for our current numbers do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

busb posted:

Shine 4 started with 23 and had a solid replacement list as well, so it's not an impossible number at least.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
awesome.

I hope people like reading rules.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

busb posted:

awesome.

I hope people like reading rules.

This better be Civ you sonuvabitch!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
uh well kinda yes... and sorta no :hist101:.

that reminds me are you still in town? when do you bail again? we still need to catch up for that beer and the weather is slowly approaching Good levels

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

busb posted:

bus b has risen me from my grave for this game

so probs dont join

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
hello it has been a while since the last time I did this so here is a votefinder update!

First off, and a lot of you are probably aware of this, there's been a lot of development behind the scenes since last year. Part of that effort was to update Django, the framework powering Votefinder, to a version that was actually supported - happy to announce that as of last week those migrations are actually all done, and this won't have to be looked at again for another couple of years at least. There are some other features that are a little more exciting, of course - the password change and reset stuff looks a lot nicer now, an Ecco Mode option (required unvotes before voting) got implemented back in April, and there have been some preliminary changes to work towards an automatically generated list of games open for signups. Finally, and most recently, I've started work in a development branch to make Votefinder user-friendly on all platforms, including mobile, via a responsive reskin development branch. As always, feature development is something that I welcome community input on! If there's a feature you'd like to see or if you'd like to submit feedback, check the issues page or via issues (at) votefinder (dot) org - or if you'd like to work on something yourself, feel free to submit a pull request. Or, if you'd rather, just grab me in Discord or via PM to chat! It would be super helpful if any CSS wizards wanted to work on the templates and make them responsive in a nicer looking way than I've been able to so far.

Part of the process of making it easier for anyone to contribute has involved a documentation rewrite. If you have interest in getting to grips with the Votefinder code, I'm finishing up polishing the relevant section of the SA Mafia Wiki.

So that's the big news of the last little while. Now a little glimpse into the future --

As some of you may have noticed, parts of Votefinder have run kinda slowly over the last months, including the Closed Games list and the players list. Part of what's causing that is the MySQL service not being able to keep up with the complex database queries that those pages use. With the upgrade to a more recent Django version, it's possible to simplify some of the queries causing strain, but I also wanted to approach this from an architectural standpoint, which means there might be a little bit of downtime while I relocate the Votefinder application to a new server. I don't anticipate this taking a super long time, but you might notice some inconsistent stuff on the Votefinder page while DNS updates after I move the live site. This should happen sometime in the next week or so, but I'll be sure to let you all know beforehand. One thing that's already happened is moving the database service off onto its own server, which should help.

I would be remiss if I did not mention JetBrains as they have generously provided me with a license for their Python IDE specifically to work on Votefinder. How cool is that? (They didn't ask me to plug it, but darn it, I'm really happy with them as a company and I think their software's great.)

Soaring Kestrel fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 17, 2017

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

You mafia swine will all be dealt with soon enough

miss u bb

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Flying Leatherman posted:

hello it has been a while since the last time I did this so here is a votefinder update!

First off, and a lot of you are probably aware of this, there's been a lot of development behind the scenes since last year. Part of that effort was to update Django, the framework powering Votefinder, to a version that was actually supported - happy to announce that as of last week those migrations are actually all done, and this won't have to be looked at again for another couple of years at least. There are some other features that are a little more exciting, of course - the password change and reset stuff looks a lot nicer now, an Ecco Mode option (required unvotes before voting) got implemented back in April, and there have been some preliminary changes to work towards an automatically generated list of games open for signups. Finally, and most recently, I've started work in a development branch to make Votefinder user-friendly on all platforms, including mobile, via a responsive reskin development branch. As always, feature development is something that I welcome community input on! If there's a feature you'd like to see or if you'd like to submit feedback, check the issues page or via issues (at) votefinder (dot) org - or if you'd like to work on something yourself, feel free to submit a pull request. Or, if you'd rather, just grab me in Discord or via PM to chat! It would be super helpful if any CSS wizards wanted to work on the templates and make them responsive in a nicer looking way than I've been able to so far.

Part of the process of making it easier for anyone to contribute has involved a documentation rewrite. If you have interest in getting to grips with the Votefinder code, I'm finishing up polishing the relevant section of the SA Mafia Wiki.

So that's the big news of the last little while. Now a little glimpse into the future --

As some of you may have noticed, parts of Votefinder have run kinda slowly over the last months, including the Closed Games list and the players list. Part of what's causing that is the MySQL service not being able to keep up with the complex database queries that those pages use. With the upgrade to a more recent Django version, it's possible to simplify some of the queries causing strain, but I also wanted to approach this from an architectural standpoint, which means there might be a little bit of downtime while I relocate the Votefinder application to a new server. I don't anticipate this taking a super long time, but you might notice some inconsistent stuff on the Votefinder page while DNS updates after I move the live site. This should happen sometime in the next week or so, but I'll be sure to let you all know beforehand. One thing that's already happened is moving the database service off onto its own server, which should help.

I would be remiss if I did not mention JetBrains as they have generously provided me with a license for their Python IDE specifically to work on Votefinder. How cool is that? (They didn't ask me to plug it, but darn it, I'm really happy with them as a company and I think their software's great.)

:swoon:

just giving you a shoutout since i can't imagine playing without votefinder

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

incidentally once shine IV ends i will be running a small, simple game that i have recruited a few rookies to, and would like to know if anyone else is interested. positivity as a player is a must, i am trying not to burn these people!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

incidentally once shine IV ends i will be running a small, simple game that i have recruited a few rookies to, and would like to know if anyone else is interested. positivity as a player is a must, i am trying not to burn these people!

In

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to run a small game after GENESIS to test an idea: what if votes are done via PM and not revealed until the lynch?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*pms you 50 times filling your inbox*

*claims you never got my pm containing the actual vote*

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You keep that poo poo up young man

Dats some good poo poo

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Kashuno posted:

I'm going to run a small game after GENESIS to test an idea: what if votes are done via PM and not revealed until the lynch?

one night ultimate werewolf: the mafia game

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
wait

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
except many nights

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Flying Leatherman posted:

I don't think I'd ever be able to run a game without VF. Thank you for keeping our scoopybuddy running strong.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Captain Foo posted:

I will play and make a player cry. That player is Kash.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CCKeane posted:

I will play and make a player cry. That player is Kash.

pro

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

busb posted:

uh well kinda yes... and sorta no :hist101:.

that reminds me are you still in town? when do you bail again? we still need to catch up for that beer and the weather is slowly approaching Good levels

I have been banished back to the United States, but I suspect I will be back in Melbourne sometime in the next year, so I'll bother you for some brews then.

I didn't know the weather down in Victoria HAD good levels.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Hogwarts - A Touch of Class is now open for signups and ruleschat.
28 player Civ-like forums game. If you've ever played a game and said "boy i wish i had statistics for how good i am at being a make believe wizard student" then this is for you!
Features: no deaths and no mafia
Also features: a Game-theory simulation with 4 competing factions.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830731

nb: I may be mad.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
god drat that is a lot of rules

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Once upon a time, I had an elaborate project for a wizard school board game. I may pull it out and dust it off.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

kumba posted:

god drat that is a lot of rules

lol

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

booooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I love rules.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Mafia hockey time, it's Shark Week as we take on San Jose in the Western Conference Semifinals

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
gotta keep it interesting...

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Hey guys good news shadowrun is nearly done and set to open tom...

oh, I see busb has started a mafia like.

I guess I'll go back to my corner for a couple weeks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mithross posted:

I know the feel.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Mithross posted:

Oh drat, I'm sorry! :(

I must have missed your posts about a big game; and current games seemed quite few and i've been stewing on this since about June and found myself with some time to push it out.

I don't think my game will strangle people that usually play in more than one game, especially as its quite different to mafia.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

busb posted:

Oh drat, I'm sorry! :(

I must have missed your posts about a big game; and current games seemed quite few and i've been stewing on this since about June and found myself with some time to push it out.

I don't think my game will strangle people that usually play in more than one game, especially as its quite different to mafia.

The problem is mine is also a mafia-like (although more mafia than yours). But don't worry about it, I'll spend a bit more time polishing and let your game get started. I'm really not upset.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And I'll throw out mine once Mithross' has had a while to do its thing.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

And then I will fart a perfect major scale.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

But only then.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

chaoslord posted:

Mafia hockey time, it's Shark Week as we take on San Jose in the Western Conference Semifinals

Fake Fisk makes real Fisk happy

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
peramene plz pm when the next myst opens signups plz and thank u

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Sandwolf posted:

And then I will fart a perfect major scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk-5RVMerfI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Meinberg posted:

peramene plz pm when the next myst opens signups plz and thank u

March 8 which incidentally will be my 30th birthday