Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Before G1 I only knew Nagata as a hopelessly outmatched can sent to die at the hands of CroCop and Fedor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

quote:

Also returning was Hiromu Takahashi’s stuffed cat Darryl, who came out with one of his legs all taped up to sell the injury when Fale tore him limb from limb.
i love Dave so much sometimes :allears:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tana's streak of having at least one five star match every year of the BR era continues.

The TAKA/Taichi show featuring those two vs. Hiromu and BUSHI has been added to the NJPW World schedule. It airs live on 8/28.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

algebra testes posted:

The number in parenthesis is the non-Yano average since Yano was the average killer for a number of people in the B block.

lol, Dave.

I agree with this

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

Tana's streak of having at least one five star match every year of the BR era continues.

The TAKA/Taichi show featuring those two vs. Hiromu and BUSHI has been added to the NJPW World schedule. It airs live on 8/28.

That's awesome. Any word on Taka's Anniversary Show? You think with Okada on it, it would be more likely. It'd be cool to see Io Shirai on NJPW World too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm really hoping Nagata's strong G1 turns some people around on voting him into the hall of fame. It was 100% not his fault New Japan business went down in the 00's.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Baron Corbyn posted:

That's awesome. Any word on Taka's Anniversary Show? You think with Okada on it, it would be more likely. It'd be cool to see Io Shirai on NJPW World too.

Not yet but the other TAKA show was just added today. I'd expect at the very least we'll get the main event added on demand.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm really hoping Nagata's strong G1 turns some people around on voting him into the hall of fame. It was 100% not his fault New Japan business went down in the 00's.

It's not, but it also means he's a pure workrate candidate as you can't really vote him in based on influence yet either. He's great, and I absolutely feel he would've been a HoFer if he had been born either 10 years earlier or 10 years later but it's tough.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, and Dave's said that's why Ishii's not going on the ballot yet, because he'd also be based purely on workrate.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Thauros posted:

And he did it with a completely hosed up elbow. I mean, his elbow has been hosed up for months now, he wrestles tough match upon tough match in the G1, and then in the last match of this grueling tournament he still cranks out a 5-star match? Goddamn impressive.

Now hopefully he'll use his movie-shooting time to actually heal up (yeah, I know that won't happen).

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Dave also goes into some fun statistics stuff which I'm positive was an absolute joy for his robot brain to get to play around with :)

Edit: Also it's cool as gently caress that Nagata got over 100 votes for MVP of the tournament.

It's also kinda hard to see how you can really top this year when even your bottom half guys are cranking out *** matches night after night. The only real dead weight is Yano/Fale and they each have their roles; YTR is the comedy act/unofficial night off and Fale allows someone to work a big man match.

I guess if we were going for ***MaXiMuM sTaRz*** for 2018 we'd definitely replace Nagata/YTR/Fale, and maybe Kojima/Juice/Tama since they're the lowest after that, but who do you replace them with? KUSHIDA and :daryl: would be the obvious choices if we're going workrate, even though as juniors they'd eat a lot of falls. After that who's left? Do you hope that Riddle can make it through a G1 without smoking himself into being deported? Hope WWE releases a KENTA/Cesaro workrate monster? Put in Shibata and Dragonson and pray neither of them die?

At some point this has to peak. Either that or Big Dave inflates his ratings and makes them as useless as Zimbabwe currency.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jesus christ, you just put the idea of Cesaro in the G1 into my head. That'd be some poo poo.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Fale is good and YTR is great.

Next year they should have more loving old timers and guys with oddball styles and throw a few more curveballs with match finishes cuz guys going so hard every night is bad for their health and long term business and after few shows I found it real numbing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SLUM KING posted:

Fale is good and YTR is great.

Next year they should have more loving old timers and guys with oddball styles and throw a few more curveballs with match finishes cuz guys going so hard every night is bad for their health and long term business and after few shows I found it real numbing.

Agreed. I think the comedy matches and "off" matches were some of the most entertaining as well. Yes YTR has three moves and none are wrestling holds, but some of the best moments of the G1 were Sanada just walking by after the Paradise Lock on the entryway and him and Tama Tonga both under the ring for a 20-count. The tournament matches were awesome, no doubt, but the brevity and variety was fun.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Thauros posted:

Not yet but the other TAKA show was just added today. I'd expect at the very least we'll get the main event added on demand.

It's not, but it also means he's a pure workrate candidate as you can't really vote him in based on influence yet either. He's great, and I absolutely feel he would've been a HoFer if he had been born either 10 years earlier or 10 years later but it's tough.

Nagata, Tenzan, Kojima, Akiyama, KENTA, Marufuji are never going in because they are blamed, when it was all that dang Inoki's fault.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/898370506902175744

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

What a bummer

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

You mean to tell me Big Dave's too busy to spend time with his sons?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Now I'm sad about that for two reasons! :(

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Nagata, Tenzan, Kojima, Akiyama, KENTA, Marufuji are never going in because they are blamed, when it was all that dang Inoki's fault.

I can see one or two of them getting in work rate but most will suffer for Inoki's sins. KENTA might have had a chance with a good WWE run but welp

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

C. Everett Koop posted:

You mean to tell me Big Dave's too busy to spend time with his sons?

Nephews

:eng101:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did inokiism kill noah now too? anyway akiyama is in play if he saves all japan. like danged gedo is gonna get in at this rate

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GoutPatrol posted:

NJPW going down in flames only helped Akiyama and Marufuji. They were champions of the #1 group in Japan because of it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nah, Noah died cause they failed to make any new draws besides Kobashi, Misawa and Akiyama. KENTA/Marafuji just never got put over to be at there level so when those guys couldn't go/died welp

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NOAH died because of Ms Misawa's involvement with the Yakuza. Getting publically outed is a death kiss in business.

They were well on track to establishing new aces but when the company went under AJPW picked up some and got wrapped up in that whole fiasco.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I've heard Inoki and Inoki-ism mentioned a few times, wasn't Inoki like, this incredible figure in Japanese wrestling? Why are there negative connotations with him?

(and should I be asking this in the wrestling questions thread instead)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

So I've heard Inoki and Inoki-ism mentioned a few times, wasn't Inoki like, this incredible figure in Japanese wrestling? Why are there negative connotations with him?

Yes he is, the negative connotations is that MMA got hot and he started putting his top stars into MMA matches where they all got owned pretty bad.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

VJeff posted:

from what I understand (no expert over here) inoki, later in his management career wanted njpw stars to be accepted as real fighters so he had them trained in mma and made them wrestle that style and compete in shoot fights. the wrestlers obviously lost these fights en masse and the company became kind of a joke for trying to compete in "real sports".

that's why nagata is a big star with a tainted reputation, yeah he's a great wrestler, but he was in this point when inoki was trying to create puro wrestlers who could fight martial arts expert but couldn't, so he looked like a drat fool earlier in his career.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

algebra testes posted:

Yes he is, the negative connotations is that MMA got hot and he started putting his top stars into MMA matches where they all got owned pretty bad.

And kept pushing shooters or guys who seemed like shooters over his stars in worked matches.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
not only that, but inoki brought in real mma wrestlers and had them win titles, most were god awful and inoki himself even put himself in some of the earlier matches to stroke his ego, but those were when they were work mma matches that sucked. the MMA wrestlers that became IWGP champions lwere Tadao Yasuda, Kazuyuki Fujita, and Bob Sapp. The former of two are not brought up during the parade of champions videos. Fujita's matches aren't even on NJPW World.

MRT beat me to it but i elaborated a bit more

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At least he gave us Bob Sapp :unsmith:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Before I heard of Inoki-ism, I've always wondered how the hell Josh Barnett of all people ended up main-eventing a Tokyo Dome show. Now it all makes sense.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
bob sapp is cool and i am glad he played inoki for a sucker

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Inoki in many ways was as succesful and crazy as Vince was/is he just never got a chance for second act to save the company like Vince did with Austin (Which probably was for the best cause New Japan was probably headed for major ruin if Inoki kept running it)

God a full Inoki bio would be great

Edit: Wasn't the WWE looking at signing Sapp during his hey day?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VJeff posted:

imagine if WWE stuck with Brawl For All and tried to make it a long term thing

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

exploded mummy posted:

imagine if WWE stuck with Brawl For All and tried to make it a long term thing

who would be more likely for iwgp champ, Bart Gunn or butterbean

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

VJeff posted:

This is from a post i made on the F4W board a couple months ago about how Inoki totally killed the business in the early 2000s. It is very much a dave-style ramble.

quote:

A host of things, including the slow death of the entire industry in japan as mainstream entertainment in some ways. Saying "New Japan was really bad here" does not even go into the needed detail that was happening in every promotion. The decline really started in the late 90s through a combination of multiple things. The 97 asian financial crisis really led to the bloom being off the rose on the Japanese economy. The utter collapse of the japanese real estate market, that was barely eeking by after the earth-shattering 89 crisis, ate up alot of the capital of several promoters and I believe led to the death of All Japan women. This is something that Japan has never really recovered from and it is only getting worse with the demographic transition inside the country. Wages have been stagnant taking into account cost of living increases inside the country for 30 years, that will hurt any economy (see USA, the for more examples.) In Taiwan where I am now, the people born after 1980 are called "strawberry children," meaning that kids born after the economic boom inside each country just don't have the same work ethic of the previous generation and arrogant about what working conditions should be. The same opinion is pretty common in Japan as well and is really the same thing as "lazy millenials!" found around the internet. I don't want to get into a treatise on how the economic conditions inside east asia could have grave consequences and be used as a predictor for future economic growth around the world, but in general certain sectors of the economy have never recovered and that also could hurt pro wrestling.

Japanese pro wrestling had peaks and valleys but after the late 80s most of the promotions lost their good TV timeslots and were pushed into 11:30, 12, or 2AM slots. You may be able to sustain an audience for a while, but it becomes harder and harder to gain new followers. The continued success of the late 90s was built upon the stars made in the early 90s and several decisions were made in NJPW that would hurt the credibility of the next generation of stars: the Tenzan, Kojima, Nagata generation.

Although NJPW had great success with the UWFI invasion angle With the growth of Pride and the huge numbers given for shootfighting on TV, pro wrestling was in a crisis. New Japan had always been the promotion that brought in legit fighters to make the pro wrestlers look tough, it was an Inoki staple throughout the 70s and early 80s. The last big "pro wrestlers vs. shooters" feud was built around Takada and the UWFI invasion. Takada was the perfect person to do this: a guy who was actually not a very good MMA fighter but was a great pro wrestler, meaning you could have great matches that looked somewhat believable, while not actually being so. You start bring in other shootfighters from different promotions like Don Frye and Bas Rutten, but you teach them how to work. The thing was, those people never got the title and the top guys in NJPW were protected from them: Muto, Hashimoto, and Chono. The japanese promotions still built up their stars as legit fighters and sold them as such. By the late 90s, those guys were really beat up and needed to slow down, but instead something else happened. PRIDE was getting really big, and so you need to You can look at the Observers that are being released now about the Hashimoto/Ogawa feud that is a perfect example of why this was stupid. Hashimoto was one of the biggest stars in the company, and they kept letting the shittier guy beat him because Ogawa was a real fighter. I'm not sure how much this was pushed because of Inoki but it does have his fingerprints all over it, trying to make NJPW more legit by bringing in shootfighters who would beat the pro wrestlers, but the pro wrestlers were supposed to get the big win at the end. But...they didn't. Instead you have Yuji Nagata being fed to Crocop on New Year's Bom Ba-Ye shows. So that generation never really had a chance to get over as big as the previous one did. It killed their business. Even if they were having more Dome shows in 2002/2003 that look like bigger houses than what the Tanahashi/Nakamura/Okada revival era are doing, it was really in bad shape at that time.

By 2004, the bloom was off the rose for "mma fighters are the legit guys so they should squash our regular non-legit guys" but because Inoki still had too much power, you end up with Bob Sapp and Fujita as champion multiple times. Nakamura won the title for the first time in 2003 and was pushed way too fast and too early, partially because he was a ok-to-good MMA fighter. Brock Lesnar is given the title after he left WWE, and only shows up for title matches, never works the tours, and looks like crap while doing it. So even when PRIDE died and MMA really died in Japan, the fans didn't come back to pro wrestling. The new fans NJPW have now are probably very different than who were watching 20 years ago. Tanahashi was the first NJPW star who never really portrayed himself as a legit tough guy.

From the 2002 Crocop/Nagata Pride match until Brock vacated the title which led to Tanahashi's first win, NJPW and AJPW were in dire straights. I'm not sure if NOAH ever got bigger than NJPW in 02-05, but it only because Kobashi and Misawa were killing themselves to do so.

tldr, the Inoki stuff was just the straw that broke the camel's back. You can see the cracks starting in the late 90s due to economic pressure and the moving of TV timeslots.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was a really good read and goes into a lot of detail I didn't know, thanks :)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You nailed the economic/demographic issues, and they're not to be underestimated. The "bubble era" ended in the late 1980s technically, but the echo lasted through the mid-90s. And the 1997 crash was the final nail. Meanwhile, the previous generation looooved wrestling (including the guys with money or control of money), but the next generation wasn't allowed to grow. Add that to bad booking and promoting and you can see how Inoki almost killed his creation.

From the view of somebody living here and gathering anecdotes and snippets through everyday life, the only wrestling thing I saw immediately after I moved to Japan in 2011 was Kobashi's retirement. But the last couple years, NJPW stars have been more and more out there - on TV and in pop culture. That TV show clip of the female comedian impersonating EVIL would not have happened even five years ago, both through "fewer people liked wrestling" and "wrestling wasn't in the zeitgeist."

We're in a great time for Japanese wrestling.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Lion's Pride goes over Inokism more in depth and NJPW's history overall.

https://www.amazon.com/Lions-Pride-Turbulent-History-Wrestling/dp/4990865812

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My friend's been showing me NJPW matches and so many are great, but I have to ask. Does the DVD guy who RVDs himself and shrugs have a single legal attack? What's his finisher? He's hilarious

I mean Okada and Omega and Naito and others are obviously amazing but that guy (Yano I think?) was such a great change of pace.

• Locked thread