Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think Jim Morrison would have been in line with people like Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen if he hadn't died (whether just in public perception or on his actual merits, I'll leave up to you), but Sid definitely would have gone on Big Brother. All in a swastika shirt desperately trying to still be edgy for cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's the point. Live fast, die young.

He isn't a gangster icon despite getting murdered he is a icon because he went out in a blaze of glory at the top of his game in a giant mansion.

I don't think he was top of his game when he died: he was a depressed cokehead and literally everyone he cared for ended up hating him, dead or both and he died alone.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tumble posted:

Charlie Work is an homage to "Birdman"

Funny thing is it's not though, the score was in the can before Birdman came out. It's entirely coincidental.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

spog posted:

I don't think he was top of his game when he died: he was a depressed cokehead and literally everyone he cared for ended up hating him, dead or both and he died alone.

Yeah but he rose from a mountain of cocaine shouting oneliners with the help of a machinegun.

Its like billy the kid, like pirates, like highwaymen, like all of the other multitudes of romanticized criminal occupations.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 12:07 on Aug 15, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Return of the Jedi Special Edition features a froglike muppet alien that plays a harmonica banjo space instrument.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Return of the Jedi Special Edition features a froglike muppet alien that plays a harmonica banjo space instrument.

Is that supposed to be Jim Morrison or Sid Vicious?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now I want a Muppet sex pistols parody.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Didn't the Electric Mayhem do that at one point?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah but he rose from a mountain of cocaine shouting oneliners with the help of a machinegun.

Its like billy the kid, like pirates, like highwaymen, like all of the other multitudes of romanticized criminal occupations.

He only truly cares about the people he loves and the movie shows him thoroughly alienating his family, killing his best friend, betraying his business partner, falling in love with a woman and losing her through assholery, and losing any ideals he might have once had even as a Cubano street thug. Then he loving dies, pointlessly. It's loving depressing and I've definitely never gotten the hype.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vicissitude posted:

Didn't the Electric Mayhem do that at one point?

More than likely.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think Jim Morrison would have been in line with people like Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen if he hadn't died (whether just in public perception or on his actual merits, I'll leave up to you), but Sid definitely would have gone on Big Brother. All in a swastika shirt desperately trying to still be edgy for cash.

That's hardly speculation. John Lydon actually did go on I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here, although he bailed before the end because he knew he'd inevitably win as people were keeping him in hoping he'd have a "Johnny Rotten moment" on the telly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blackadder is known for subtle humor and great insults, but I caught this one recently watching Blackadder Goes Forth. In the episode "General Hospital", military information is leaking through one of the field hospitals, so General Melchett enlists Blackadder to root out the spy. When Blackadder comes to report on his findings, Melchett explains that he got a letter from the Germans.

"It said, 'Isn't it about time you changed your shirts, Walrus Face?'"

On its own, it's just a silly line delivered by Stephen Fry, but it is another joke regarding the costumes they wear on the show. The show is set in 1917, but the officers' uniforms are still patterned after 1914.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Blackadder is known for subtle humor and great insults, but I caught this one recently watching Blackadder Goes Forth. In the episode "General Hospital", military information is leaking through one of the field hospitals, so General Melchett enlists Blackadder to root out the spy. When Blackadder comes to report on his findings, Melchett explains that he got a letter from the Germans.

On its own, it's just a silly line delivered by Stephen Fry, but it is another joke regarding the costumes they wear on the show. The show is set in 1917, but the officers' uniforms are still patterned after 1914.

I don't know from uniforms but Blackadder always had a subtle jab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSYiT2iG08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like that despite that the third Blackadder "won" and ended up impersonating Prince George for the rest of his life, he still does have a fairly sticky end. He is destined to eat himself to death.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only Blackadders to have a good end were the Cavalier Blackadder for selling out the King and Baldrick, and Lord Edmund when he rewrote time to take over England.

I would have loved to have seen an entire show based around Bladdicus and the Romans at Hadrian's wall.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I still want them to do Blackadder as a rock band in the 60s, if only to see stiff as a board Rowan Atkinson act groovy.

At this point they'd probably have to do rock band who's been around since the 60s but I'd take it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've seen so much praise for Blackadder over the years, does it hold up enough to get into it even now? Is it on any streaming services?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A lot of the jokes are ironically timeless because they're all historical jokes based off things that happened. There are jokes that were in danger of aging, like the crossdressing jokes with Bob but they're more about "a woman at the time doing a job that the woman wouldn't be allowed to do otherwise" than any weird jokes about transpeople. Also a lot of the humour comes from how Rowan Atkinson says Bob because he needs to hold on the consonants to avoid stammering (he has trouble saying his Bs), so he pronounces it like "b~Bob~b." with the b~b being a weird hard to transliterate thing where be holds on the syllable but because it's a consonant the sound hasn't started yet or has already finished so he just holds the mouth movement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've seen so much praise for Blackadder over the years, does it hold up enough to get into it even now? Is it on any streaming services?

You could skip the first season since it is noticeably poorer than the follow ups. But only if you really want to. It was made before they got the winning formula down, so there are more dud jokes, but it does have plenty of jabs at Shakespeare, and Brian Blessed is a treasure.

Also, as much as I believe the 4th season is one of the best comedy shows of all time, it is also the one under the most scrutiny. The 4th series operates under the conceit of the "lions led by donkeys" view of ww1, where command and HQ are presented as aloof, out of touch and actively callous to the enlisted ranks, who are all brave and Noble good lads in tragic circumstances. This view was extremely popular in postwar commonwealth countries for decades, and it has only really been since the 90s that public perception of ww1 has started to become more nuanced. If you go into the show with the lion/donkey angle in mind it makes a lot more sense why Melchett comes off as an insane lunatic.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Aug 19, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's a reference to another scene where George discusses writing letters.

(Vague, to not spoil it for other posters )

spog has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Aug 19, 2017

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

What the two above me said, but as for streaming I believe all four seasons are on Hulu.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

You could skip the first season since it is noticeably poorer than the follow ups. But only if you really want to. It was made before they got the winning formula down, so there are more dud jokes, but it does have plenty of jabs at Shakespeare, and Brian Blessed is a treasure.

Also, as much as I believe the 4th season is one of the best comedy shows of all time, it is also the one under the most scrutiny. The 4th series operates under the conceit of the "lions led by donkeys" view of ww1, where command and HQ are presented as aloof, out of touch and actively callous to the enlisted ranks, who are all brave and Noble good lads in tragic circumstances. This view was extremely popular in postwar commonwealth countries for decades, and it has only really been since the 90s that public perception of ww1 has started to become more nuanced. If you go into the show with the lion/donkey angle in mind it makes a lot more sense why Melchett comes off as an insane lunatic.

And if you want more of that conceit minus the humor see Cillian Murphy in Peaky Blinders.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

syscall girl posted:

And if you want more of that conceit see anything ever where the main characters are soldiers

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Melchett's an amazing lunatic, but I don't know if the enlisted ranks get such a simple "Noble Good Lads" treatment? Blackadder's an outright coward who's always trying to think of schemes to get out of fighting (though he's completely justified since "fighting" is being made to walk into machine gun fine). George is definitely a Good Lad but he's a moron fuckup. Baldrick's a weird goblin creature. Darling's a vindictive sycophant, and the Flashman episode takes the piss out of myths about dashing war heroes by making him a complete rear end in a top hat.

I mean they are in tragic circumstances, but they have characterisation beyond suffering nobly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The longer Blackadder goes on the more it relies on variations of the "he's as dumb as (insert convoluted description of something obviously dumb)" joke for humour. It's a decent joke, but terribly overused. As overused as something that's the prime exhibit of the Museum of Overused Objects and was formerly owned by a man named Oliver Use.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah when I first watched Blackadder I found all of it funny but the more I rewatched it, the more I appreciated the less obvious humour and the side characters. Stephen Fry's Melchiot is the best character in the whole series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My favorite one off character was Ludwig the Indestructible master of disguise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Magnus Manfist posted:

Melchett's an amazing lunatic, but I don't know if the enlisted ranks get such a simple "Noble Good Lads" treatment? Blackadder's an outright coward who's always trying to think of schemes to get out of fighting (though he's completely justified since "fighting" is being made to walk into machine gun fine). George is definitely a Good Lad but he's a moron fuckup. Baldrick's a weird goblin creature. Darling's a vindictive sycophant, and the Flashman episode takes the piss out of myths about dashing war heroes by making him a complete rear end in a top hat.

I mean they are in tragic circumstances, but they have characterisation beyond suffering nobly.

I think a lot of it comes down to Goodbyeee where everyone save Melchett and Haig are stripped down to their barest. Blackadder's cowardice stems from his career of putting down colonial uprisings, George is terrified of going into battle sue to all of his childhood friends being dead, Darling has a fiance waiting for him, and Baldrick comes to terms with his ignorance and suddenly realizes just what a nightmare he's living in.

It's a testament to the shows writing that these scenes are simultaneously hilarious and heartbreaking, and the moment it shifts gears with George's one line:
"I'm scared sir."

Melchett and Haig don't get those moments of realization that affects their world view so they come off as one dimensional caricatures in comparison to the trench men.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to Goodbyeee where everyone save Melchett and Haig are stripped down to their barest. Blackadder's cowardice stems from his career of putting down colonial uprisings, George is terrified of going into battle sue to all of his childhood friends being dead, Darling has a fiance waiting for him, and Baldrick comes to terms with his ignorance and suddenly realizes just what a nightmare he's living in.

It's a testament to the shows writing that these scenes are simultaneously hilarious and heartbreaking, and the moment it shifts gears with George's one line:
"I'm scared sir."

Melchett and Haig don't get those moments of realization that affects their world view so they come off as one dimensional caricatures in comparison to the trench men.

I think it is unfair to call Blackadder a coward: I think it is more that he (perhaps only he) realises that following the orders he was given would be certain death without any useful purpose.

Melchett: Good man. Now, Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field. [they gather around a model of the battlefield]

Blackadder: Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Darling:
How can you possibly know that Blackadder? It's classified information.

Blackadder: It's the same plan that we used last time, and the seventeen times before that.

Melchett: E-E-Exactly! And that is what so brilliant about it! We will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we have done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time!
There is however one small problem.

Blackadder: That everyone always gets slaughtered the first ten seconds?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cowardice has always been on of Blackadder's defining traits. He's always used it to shift blame onto other people and get ahead, in the earlier seasons. In Blackadder Goes Forth, he's a much more nuanced character, since he's not in a position of power where he is actively hostile to his subordinates. For all his attempts to scram from the war and save his own skin, he still brings George and Baldrick along, even if he doesn't care about them that much. They're a means to an end for him, but he doesn't treat them with the same contempt as his ancestors because they're all stuck in the same situation.

Captain B. has been a career soldier since the late 19th century, and he's had a long time to figure out the best way to fight a war. On no account must the enemy carry guns, for example. He's a realist who recognizes the madness of WW1, which is how his cowardice manifests, because he's terrified of suicidal plans and the instant death that awaits anyone going over the top. The big difference between 4 and the early seasons is that Blackadder's cowardice is no longer mocked, but is a source of sympathy for him, because it marks him as the only sane man in a sea of idiots.

Season 1: a scheming, moronic backstabber constantly pulled out of the fire by his street savvy servant.

Season 2: a penny pinching lord who competes for the queen's affections and will throw anyone under the bus to get ahead.

Season 3: an absolutely vicious bastard who actively abuses everyone around him and yet cultivates a personality of respect from the ignorant due to his contrast against the idiot Prince Regent.

Season 4: a disillusioned war veteran with no love for high command's insane strategies, constantly scheming to escape from a madhouse only to face the inevitable.

Despite the similarities between all four iterations, Captain Blackadder is the only one we sympathize with.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks everyone! Sounds like a pretty good watch, I'll probably start it this weekend

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

I think it is unfair to call Blackadder a coward: I think it is more that he (perhaps only he) realises that following the orders he was given would be certain death without any useful purpose.

Melchett: Good man. Now, Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field. [they gather around a model of the battlefield]

Blackadder: Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Darling:
How can you possibly know that Blackadder? It's classified information.

Blackadder: It's the same plan that we used last time, and the seventeen times before that.

Melchett: E-E-Exactly! And that is what so brilliant about it! We will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we have done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time!
There is however one small problem.

Blackadder: That everyone always gets slaughtered the first ten seconds?

The best part about Blackadder is that Rowan Atkinson did Mr. Bean as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizFAhEpiEc

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

"I'm scared sir."

I completely agree. The scene where Melchett off-handedly decides to send Darling to the front instantly transforms his character, and almost makes you feel bad for wanting to see him get his comeuppance earlier in the series.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Cowardice has always been on of Blackadder's defining traits. He's always used it to shift blame onto other people and get ahead, in the earlier seasons. In Blackadder Goes Forth, he's a much more nuanced character, since he's not in a position of power where he is actively hostile to his subordinates. For all his attempts to scram from the war and save his own skin, he still brings George and Baldrick along, even if he doesn't care about them that much. They're a means to an end for him, but he doesn't treat them with the same contempt as his ancestors because they're all stuck in the same situation.

Captain B. has been a career soldier since the late 19th century, and he's had a long time to figure out the best way to fight a war. On no account must the enemy carry guns, for example. He's a realist who recognizes the madness of WW1, which is how his cowardice manifests, because he's terrified of suicidal plans and the instant death that awaits anyone going over the top. The big difference between 4 and the early seasons is that Blackadder's cowardice is no longer mocked, but is a source of sympathy for him, because it marks him as the only sane man in a sea of idiots.

Season 1: a scheming, moronic backstabber constantly pulled out of the fire by his street savvy servant.

Season 2: a penny pinching lord who competes for the queen's affections and will throw anyone under the bus to get ahead.

Season 3: an absolutely vicious bastard who actively abuses everyone around him and yet cultivates a personality of respect from the ignorant due to his contrast against the idiot Prince Regent.

Season 4: a disillusioned war veteran with no love for high command's insane strategies, constantly scheming to escape from a madhouse only to face the inevitable.

Despite the similarities between all four iterations, Captain Blackadder is the only one we sympathize with.

There's more subtlety to it than that. With each season the Blackadders move further from the centre of the nobility, but the less ennobled they become, the more noble they become. Prince Edmund would betray his whole family to become King and never does a noble thing, Lord Edmund tries to worm his way into the Queen's affections but is loyal, Mr Blackadder exploits his employer but also protects him, and Captain Blackadder is acting not only out of self-preservation but to do the best for his men.

Another thing that was slightly lost in the wake of two charity specials that followed is the ending of Blackadder Goes Forth. Moneyed families often had a tradition of sending their sons into the Army as officers to instill responsibility into them, with no great expectation that they would come to harm. The Great War claimed a lot of those sons, and in many cases the family itself died out because they were the only sons. It was intended but never stated that Captain Blackadder was one of those last scions, and that he was trying to preserve his family as well as himself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While that is a sobering idea, I prefer the notion from The Whole drat Dynasty script book that states that the Blackadders will always worm their way back into society regardless of how many of them die. One Blackadder family held out through the Black Death by living in a broom closet for a generation. Besides, Clan McAdder still exists.

Or how Henry Tudor attempted to conquer London, but Baldrick misread the order to raise an army and march on London as "Arm as raisin and march on Londonderry."

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Aug 20, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The portrait seen in Blackadder: Back and Forth has Blackadder in his military uniform which implies he was killed in action.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
EDIT.
Sorry, thought you said Goes Forth and not Back and Forth.

At least two Blackadders succeeded Captain B. from season 4. His grandson from Back and Forth, and his relative (cousin, brother?) who was a general in the British Armed Forces demanding that the U.K go to war with France.

It's actually pretty neat how close a lot of the Blackadders are. Lord Edmund was Prince Edmund's great-grandson, Mr. Blackadder had a son who became Ebenezer Blackadder in the Christmas Carol special, and he was probably the grandfather of Captain Blackadder.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Aug 20, 2017

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I still want them to do Blackadder as a rock band in the 60s, if only to see stiff as a board Rowan Atkinson act groovy.

At this point they'd probably have to do rock band who's been around since the 60s but I'd take it.

Likely the closest you'll get to that - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOUTimHYj5w

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A subtle bit from the TV show Get Shorty is how every time Miles describes the plot of the movie he's trying to make he keeps adding on stuff from his own life. He learns his separated wife has a new boyfriend and all of a sudden he's talking about how his Irish soldier main character is being cuckolded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That made me picture Miles O'Brien.