Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Or just never bring AEGIS back outside cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Space Skeleton posted:

Or just never bring AEGIS back outside cutscenes.

I can get behind this. AEGIS was completely wretched.

Speaking of Tokyo though, running through the Obstructive Persons mission is a lot more rewarding the second time through. Those names certainly make a lot more sense.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
You can't argue for affixes while saying pip level doesn't matter. When it comes to weapons, I'll agree that pips are less important because they just enhance your affix but talismans are direct stat boosts and non red versions are so cheap.

Why tell new players to go in for Sprint v or whatever? If you're playing the game, play it and don't just dodge every mob between a and b. I'm up to shadowy forest and I've only bought the first Sprint upgrade because taking time to enjoy the game is fun. I'm sure it's different on playthrough 12 where you just want to get to endgame.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Richard M Nixon posted:

You can't argue for affixes while saying pip level doesn't matter. When it comes to weapons, I'll agree that pips are less important because they just enhance your affix but talismans are direct stat boosts and non red versions are so cheap.

I like how much psychological torment Funcom's managed to cause over really small optimization differences in a game that has almost no content that requires that you be optimal, I get so mopey when I feel like it's gonna be hard to level a solid three-pip red item even though the difference in performance will be negligible in any content I ever do

s sad that what's actually really solid "our monetization mostly just helps you finesse the fractal edges of your character's power more easily" gets misperceived as pay-ter-win, as if there were really any "winning" in TSW, especially now they're putting out story modes for all content. I'm all about that. never even managed to hook up with an Exclusion Zone group, and it doesn't pretend to be a real challenge in the way Warcraft-style LFR does.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Richard M Nixon posted:

Why tell new players to go in for Sprint v or whatever? If you're playing the game, play it and don't just dodge every mob between a and b. I'm up to shadowy forest and I've only bought the first Sprint upgrade because taking time to enjoy the game is fun. I'm sure it's different on playthrough 12 where you just want to get to endgame.

I just don't really understand the "RUSH 3 PIP FOR EVERYTHING!" advice. Your first level 20 green talisman/weapon gets a free upgrade so okay you could argue making a beeline for a 3 pip one of each. But after that you need what 16 or 17 of the same type to max level a green? And you need to do that twice for a blue so you'll be having to open up a significant number of greens in order to get your first blue then double that number for the second blue. And to max a blue is some number I don't know off the top of my head because I don't have the patience to do that. Somewhere in all those greens you'll find a three pip and since you need to many to get a purple there's literally no reason to rush it.

Meanwhile inventory space and sprint speed aren't things you can just get out of bags for doing 10 minutes of work.

As for sprint speeds even going back to 2012 me I beelined for that thing with character 1 because trudging back and forth across the zones was just unfun.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Everything in the game requires running from here to there, even if you have free patron teleport. If you don't upgrade Sprint as a priority you straight up don't value your time and everything you do in the game to advance your character will take that much longer. There's still plenty of opportunity to stop and smell the roses.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Never underestimate how much people freak out about small differences in stat numbers that only they can see anyway. :v:

Neat. First time in that apartment mission in over a year and I got "Home Alone" first attempt :toot:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 17, 2017

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If they really want pay-to-win, they'll introduce a stacking buff consumable to make getting the stealth mission achievements easier.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hello Sailor posted:

If they really want pay-to-win, they'll introduce a stacking buff consumable to make getting the stealth mission achievements easier.

I would consider paying just to make some of them possible to complete, even without the achievements.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

I would consider paying just to make some of them possible to complete, even without the achievements.

Well the Orochi stealth board helped me complete Lydia's stealth mission in the Carpathian Fangs lair area. Just had to wait it out in safe areas while the cooldown recharged.

I have no idea how anyone is supposed to do that mission without one of those.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

prefect posted:

I'm going to (attempt to) do In the Dusty Dark for the very first time later today. I timed out of the game last night just skimming through the mission guide. 100% no problem, right?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

Well the Orochi stealth board helped me complete Lydia's stealth mission in the Carpathian Fangs lair area. Just had to wait it out in safe areas while the cooldown recharged.

I remember doing it one time with a bunch of goons, and it was a ton of fun. But doing it by myself was miserable. This time, I just ran as far as I could, died, and then rezzed to run some more. Didn't even try to do it the right way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm going to (attempt to) do In the Dusty Dark for the very first time later today. I timed out of the game last night just skimming through the mission guide. 100% no problem, right?

It's the most depressing mission for me in SWL so far. Really, really depressed when I think that I'll have to do it again at some point in order to get a piece of lore.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

It's the most depressing mission for me in SWL so far. Really, really depressed when I think that I'll have to do it again at some point in order to get a piece of lore.

At least the boss fight against the nameless genie in the mission after is pretty great.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

At least the boss fight against the nameless genie in the mission after is pretty great.

:cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes:

I almost gave up there, too. (I was not in the right mood for that kind of thing, I guess.)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

:cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes:

I almost gave up there, too. (I was not in the right mood for that kind of thing, I guess.)

Thing of dirt. Where will you go when the sky hates you?

I really liked the nameless.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

Thing of dirt. Where will you go when the sky hates you?

I really liked the nameless.

My problem was just with the mechanics of the fight. It felt more raid-boss-like than I was comfortable with. Also, I failed a bunch of times, which never improves my mood. :saddowns:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Weirdly I completed it from 1st try in swl and only 1 charge of the board. I think it depends on where you start, there are several starting points.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

DancingShade posted:

You kill vampires with pipes like it's Home Alone.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
For all this gear talk, I'd say to not worry about the pips until you've maxed your blues and hit character level 50.Once you upgrade your to purple quality is when it'll become hard to replace it.
So ride your 1- and 2-pip items up until that mark, then start thinking about properly gearing.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I still say if they're getting 10k marks a day, they can easily buy a full non dungeon set of gear. It's virtually free.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Some of you are delivering some very questionable advice on gear, advice that doesn't save a prospective new player any time or money. Non-extraordinary 3-pip items (and 99% of extraordinary 2-pips) are dirt cheap--as in "full set buyable with a day or so of dailies" cheap--so you might as well start things off right by grabbing them off the AH. This is even easier when you consider that talisman slots are level locked, so you only have a few pieces to worry about early on.

With that in mind, here are things to know about gear that WILL save you time and money:
1> As aforementioned, don't settle for anything less than non-extraordinary 3-pip / extraordinary 2-pip items for new gear.
2> If you've leveled some stuff that doesn't fit the aforementioned description, that's fine. Save it; it's still useful as fusion fodder.
3> Aim for Energy, Destruction, Havoc, or Efficiency affixes on weapons, roughly in that order. Alacrity is also good for melee weapons you'll be using as a frequent primary.
4> Thinking about glyph choice/placement a little can save you a lot of 20,000 mark unslotting fees later. Not a big deal, though.

Re: glyphs, you'll want one maxed hit glyph for DPS and Tanking. Grab a cheap Intricate Accurate Glyph off the AH and put it on one talisman, grab a Simple Accurate Glyph from AH/bags and put it on another (start with just the latter if low on funds). Level them both as you go and eventually mash them together into a red Accurate Glyph. Congratulations, you now have enough hit for every form of content in the game, and assuming you level it at a decent clip you should be covered throughout the whole upgrading process as well.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's true that 3 pip normal/2 pip dungeon stuff is relatively cheap but I'd honestly just spend the marks on sprints/bag space to begin with. If you're a min-maxer then sure, go nuts but for the average player it's unlikely to ever matter what quality your gear is.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

"Minor" boosts in stats add up over time, and the difference becomes more pronounced as rarity of gear rises. Ironically, it is new and casual players who have the most to gain from a statistical advantage so easily acquired: that much more Attack Rating and Resists means that much more you can fly by the seat of your pants without having to think about it.

Seriously though, let's stop acting like a few 150-300 Mark items are somehow going to bankrupt you so hard that you can't afford sprints and bag space. Anything short of 3-pip extraordinaries is a pittance to purchase. Sell a couple of your 1-2 pip quest rewards and you have the money for a 3-pip normal/2-pip extraordinary RIGHT THERE. Why give yourself less stats for no meaningful benefit?

Amante fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 18, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Amante is correct. The most expensive 3 pip slot is ring, which hovers at 2k marks.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not saying it'll bankrupt you, I'm just saying you should prioritise the stuff that actually makes a difference you'll notice. :shrug:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

This is the kind of price difference we're talking about. If you're just starting out buying normal, non fancy dungeon gear then buy the 3 pip for nearly the same price as lesser gear and roll on. You'll have better survivability and kill things faster with 3 pip for almost the exact same price. Not dying and killing things faster is a time saver. The first sprint upgrade is 2500 which is more than the price difference between a full set of 2 vs 3 pip gear. The first bag upgrade is 7500. But it doesn't really matter because after 2 days of dailies you can buy it all anyway.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not disputing that it's the same price as buying 1 or 2 pip gear, I'm just saying you don't need to buy any gear to begin with. Starting out you can wear two talismans and the difference between 1 and 3 pips is probably a single-digit amount of attack rating for a negligible increase in combat power. I don't think the defensive stats even change with number of pips, so your survivability will be literally identical too. Weapons are a different story since the difference between pips is fixed rather than increasing with level but even then I believe it only changes the strength of the affix effect and not the amount of weapon power.

Anyway, I don't want to start a holy war about it, I just want new players to know they're fine to just jump straight in and start playing and not give a poo poo about gear until later. :v:

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

If you like playing sub-optimally for no appreciable gain, that is your prerogative. I don't think it makes very good newbie advice, though, and that's what I'm striving to give here: solid, foundational newbie advice. I'm a "teach a man to fish" kinda guy, and I see no reason in teaching people to how to do things in a lazier, less effective way when the alternative takes a minute or two of effort ONCE. Better to start good item habits early, given that SWL goes all in on having you upgrade the same gear long-term.

Make no mistake, Funcom did a much better job of making the early game forgiving in SWL than they did in TSW. You can do "whatever" and be okay to start, but things get less forgiving later. As someone who has higher item power than most people in this thread, I have still survived a lot of solo situations by a hair that I wouldn't have with poorer gear. The further you go in the game, the more every bit of stats really does add up. This is especially meaningful if soloing as pure DPS (which you should be): the faster you kill stuff, the less of a threat it is to you, which really makes a difference come Transylvania and Tokyo.

Amante fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 18, 2017

Nita
Apr 27, 2008
I got a neato weapon from a cache tonight. Should I keep it or sell it?

I don't see any of energy flame-wreathed weapons on the market, so I think it's a good drop?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

That's pretty nice. Could sell it for a pretty penny I'm sure, but if you dig the Blades playstyle I'd keep it personally.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Beelining straight for the sprint upgrades with your MoF is the opposite of suboptimal play. The "free" maximum sprint upgrade you could get in TSW for buying the motorcycle was completely game-changing. The few points of attack power that you delay* getting by waiting to spend MoF on 3-pip gear are far overshadowed by the ability to zip around the map quickly and outrun enemies that you don't want to bother with.

*And you'll be caught up well before Transylvania or Tokyo, so that's a non-argument.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 18, 2017

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
They've added a timer that stops a retreat vote from being started in Dungeons until 5 minutes have passed.

They have not fixed the bug where sometimes it creates a dungeon group of 5 DPS.

Nita
Apr 27, 2008

Amante posted:

That's pretty nice. Could sell it for a pretty penny I'm sure, but if you dig the Blades playstyle I'd keep it personally.

Thanks, I'll keep it then. I've been playing as blade DPS since I wanted to gimp myself in dungeons and not be ranged.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Aegis was good for dungeon mechanics and that was it.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

They've added a timer that stops a retreat vote from being started in Dungeons until 5 minutes have passed.

They have not fixed the bug where sometimes it creates a dungeon group of 5 DPS.

Does everyone have the dps icon?

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
Hooray, we can finally transfer Funcom Points from TSW to SWL: https://secretworldlegends.com/news/funcom-point-to-aurum-exchange-now-available/

Oh, but only a max of 12,000 FP... and only if you bought it from July 1st 2016 to June 26th 2017...

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Burnt Poffin posted:

Hooray, we can finally transfer Funcom Points from TSW to SWL: https://secretworldlegends.com/news/funcom-point-to-aurum-exchange-now-available/

Oh, but only a max of 12,000 FP... and only if you bought it from July 1st 2016 to June 26th 2017...

Who has more than 12k paid points?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

That's not the ideal team comp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Burnt Poffin posted:

I turned 48 into 40.