Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

A direwolf wouldn't have been useful at all out in the wilderness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My fanfic will be on the shelves before GRRM puts the fukkin’ book out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Lady Giantsbane, dude. That's all I want.

This would also be acceptable.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Random question: What the hell happened to Ghost? Did they kill him off somewhere last season unceremoniously or is HBO just too cheap to pony up for a dog in a background shot or two? It seems like Jon doesn't even remember that he has a direwolf.

Dragon budget outweighs direwolf budget.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Phenotype posted:

A direwolf wouldn't have been useful at all out in the wilderness.

Brans wolf lasted about 3 seconds against an undead mob

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

I don't think she cares about the smallfolk at all. But she does care about herself.

Varys gave the "you'd burn the world to sit on a throne of ash" speech to the wrong person. I feel like it applies far more to Cersei.

e: and real talk Tormund/Brienne hooking up and becoming the new co-rulers of the Sapphire Isles is the only "happy ending" I legit want to see

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

G-rat: sup gurl u still dog that big-rear end dog?
G-rat: *got
ArryX: who dis
G-rat: g-rat
ArryX: haha what. yeah no dog gone
G-rat: how’s ur sis
ArryX: gently caress off lol
G-ray: lol

On shelves November 5th, “A Song of Ice and Fire: ew dragons let’s gently caress”, part 1 of 12.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I really want it to happen, but there is no way Tormund/Brienne ends up happening.

D&D accidentally wrote a good thing and now that they realised that they would definitely go "oooOOOoOoOoOOOOOoh yo bro, you legit thought Brienne and Tormund would hook up but OH SNAP we just killed Tormund. We can totes do shock deaths like GRRM"

Happened to Osha. Happened to Shireen.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

GobiasIndustries posted:

Pictured below: Leaked season 8 direwolf cgi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xeBGx2bfxc

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

lezard_valeth posted:

I really want it to happen, but there is no way Tormund/Brienne ends up happening.

D&D accidentally wrote a good thing and now that they realised that they would definitely go "oooOOOoOoOoOOOOOoh yo bro, you legit thought Brienne and Tormund would hook up but OH SNAP we just killed Tormund. We can totes do shock deaths like GRRM"

Happened to Osha. Happened to Shireen.

Sadly you're probably right

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, valyrian steel is cool for swords....is it good for hammers? Could Gendry forge himself a giant fuckoff valyrian steel hammer and just wreck bitches with it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gotta tech up to Valyrian Arrowheads

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I really hope the spoilers are right (seems like they’re dead-on so far) and the wall comes down next episode. It was so important that people gave their lives to guard it forever, massive land grants were made in its wake, presumably the most massive construction project of all time took place, and an entire population was permanently locked beyond it.

They’ve heard stories of mystery monsters, known people who died out there. Perhaps in rare cases, having seen on of them or even killed one.

Then it’s like “oh, so that’s gone, and there’s an army of them, um *pulls alarm*”.

And here’s my prediction for the series finale. Jon is like Dany I thought you can’t have kids, your dick is cursed. She is like but look and lays another egg. Jon pees on it and it hatches, but it’s Tyrion. Fade out, the end.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 18, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

Gotta tech up to Valyrian Arrowheads

He spent all his skill points increasing his movement speed instead :(

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The leaked episode loving ruled. Maybe it's cause I've waited 10 years, maybe even 20? Jesus a long time for some north of the Wall stuff and White Walker stuff.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Random question: What the hell happened to Ghost? Did they kill him off somewhere last season unceremoniously or is HBO just too cheap to pony up for a dog in a background shot or two? It seems like Jon doesn't even remember that he has a direwolf.

They all but cut the wolves because making giant wolves look good is hard. Dragons are easy because they aren't real and can look like anything.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

They could just have a normal wolf and put a baby wolf on its back in a little saddle. They’d dress the baby up like an adult so it would make the normal wolf look huge. I’m not very good with dogs but I feel like it could be done if they had enough treats.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
How much valyrian steel do you need to have to kill a white walker? Like, can you just make an alloy with it? Can you just add a tiny piece of valyrian steel to normal steel and make the whole sword deadly?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That's a good question. Will the valyrian steel take, if they just put a light coating on a normal blade?

Just melt down Heartsbane imho and add a bit to all the weapons of named characters w/o valyrian.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The conversation was a fuckton of pages back, but here is the updated leitmotiff progression:

- S1 "Finale" -> S3 "Mhysa"

- S3 "Dracarys" + S4 "Breaker of Chains" = S5 "Dance of Dragons"

- S5 "Dance of Dragons" + S3 "Mhysa" + S6 "Coronation"(which in itself is an evolution of the Greyjoy's leitmotiff) = S6 "Winds of Winter"

- S6 "Winds of Winter" + S7 "We Must Stand Together" (Dany and Jon's theme) = S7 "Dragoncopter To The Rescue or w/e" (Episode 6 Dragon Ex Machina theme)

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 18, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is ASOIAF the first Tolkien inspired fantasy to not have mithril? Valyrian steel is clearly adamantium.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dialog is trash this season.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

lezard_valeth posted:

The conversation was a fuckton of pages back, but here is the updated leitmotiff progression:

- S1 "Finale" -> S3 "Mhysa"

- S3 "Dracarys" + S4 "Breaker of Chains" = S5 "Dance of Dragons"

- S5 "Dance of Dragons" + S3 "Mhysa" + S6 "Coronation"(which in itself is an evolution of the Greyjoy's leitmotiff) = S6 "Winds of Winter"

- S6 "Winds of Winter" + S7 "We Must Stand Together" (Dany and Jon's theme) = S7 "Dragoncopter To The Rescue or w/e" (Episode 6 Dragon Ex Machina theme)

If there's one redeemable part about the show: it's the music. It's always great.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is ASOIAF the first Tolkien inspired fantasy to not have mithril? Valyrian steel is clearly adamantium.

Yet.

Obviously Gendry will not learn how to make Valyrian Steel cause the main characters need to be special, however he will learn steel + dragonglass + dragon dung = Mythril which has innate Holy +150% making it super effective against wights but doesn't no sell WW. The redshirt fodder troops will be armed with it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the composer is amazing. His work on Westworld is A+, as well. I'm honestly more partial to that opening theme than GoT's.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It seems like all you have to do is touch a WW with steel and they disintegrate, get Qyburn to make some big rear end blunderbuss'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If we don't get dragonglass grenades then just smh

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

the children got nades covered

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

esperterra posted:

Yeah, the composer is amazing. His work on Westworld is A+, as well. I'm honestly more partial to that opening theme than GoT's.

I really like how he incorporates motifs. Especially the Targaryen one.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I think that the show greatly improves if you just close your eyes and listen to it. You won't have to see Arya's smug mug while she talks about Assassin Camp, Littlefinger's slimy evil grin while he does :moreevil: or

Whatever this is supposed to be

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Constant posted:

the children got nades covered

it's too bad qyburn never got to play with those

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

it's too bad qyburn never got to play with those

im fully expecting wildfire molotovs in season 8

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Low Desert Punk posted:

Even with dragons, I don't think Cersei would bat an eye at losing a few thousand smallfolk to dragonfire if it means killing Dany, Tyrion, and Jon

Dany brings the Unsullied and Dothraki too according to the leaks. Meaning there is an army that can take King's Landing. Not to mention that Dany only needs to direct one dragon to the building Cersei currently might be in to end her without anyone being able to do anything about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm just spitballing here but maybe when they realized that the night king was a serious threat to dragons from long distance and also like 100 feet away from Drogon they shoulda shot him with dragon fire instead of sending Jon running at him and Drogon flying away.

Arya going loving nuts because the plot demands it, but then she's just pretending, is a really lame direction and the writing sucks.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 18, 2017

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

lezard_valeth posted:

Yet.

Obviously Gendry will not learn how to make Valyrian Steel cause the main characters need to be special, however he will learn steel + dragonglass + dragon dung = Mythril which has innate Holy +150% making it super effective against wights but doesn't no sell WW. The redshirt fodder troops will be armed with it.

And here I thought it was pretty obvious that Valyrian steel was fantasy Damascus steel. And no it wouldn't loving work for a warhammer you use that poo poo to maintain a solid magically bullshit edge.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I really like how he incorporates motifs. Especially the Targaryen one.

:agreed:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So maybe I missed something but now that Dany is 100% on board with prioritizing the walkers, why do they even need the armistice with Cersei? Especially since the last episode hinted fairly strongly that most of Cersei's forces got annihilated by Dany's wagon heist. Why deal with a known maniac who wants you dead and doesn't have much to contribute to the fight anyway?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's for Dany's own benefit. Fighting wars on two fronts tends not to go well. Even Tyrion knows that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cersei may be hanging onto the throne by her nails, but the Seven Kingdoms won't mobilize to face a new threat without some sort of legitimate leadership. The Essos Krew are probably wrong in thinking that Cersei would be able to mobilize the south if they could convince her, but she needs to be dealt with one way or the other before the three relatively undamaged kingdoms can raise new armies and send them north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

I think that the show greatly improves if you just close your eyes and listen to it. You won't have to see Arya's smug mug while she talks about Assassin Camp, Littlefinger's slimy evil grin while he does :moreevil: or

Whatever this is supposed to be

Or like, just know it's a tv show, one of the most popular ever and realize maybe you're expecting too much.

I can already see this thread ripping apart any awards this season gets even though it's like the most popular show ever. But goddammit a dozen goons know better than the 10 million watching it and pirating it as quickly as they can to get their fix.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/15/game-of-thrones-ratings-eastwatch/

quote:

Game of Thrones did it again: For the third time this season, the HBO drama set an all-time ratings record for the show and the network. Sunday’s fifth episode of the seventh season, “Eastwatch,” was seen by 10.7 million viewers — easily surpassing the previous week’s record of 10.2 million viewers, which edged out the season premiere’s then-record of 10.1 million.

And given HBO’s delivery system of repeats and online streaming services, plus DVR playback, actual viewership is considerably higher — the GoT season 7 premiere and the second episode have both racked up more than 30 million viewers each at this point.

pre-reply to what I know will be posted: I understand, you all know tv better than millions upon millions of people all around the world.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 18, 2017

• Locked thread