Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Frankly, even if some kind of bizarre "Helen Highwater must drive, the fate of the world depends on it!" situation contrives, they'll probably be able to figure it out. Cars are actually pretty idiot proof.

The flip side of that is that learning how to drive doesn't take long at all. It's a useful skill, like knowing how to ride a bicycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
if the emergency takes out all emergency services access and telephony i doubt driving will be super useful anyway. roads get congested or else closed in the event of such major catastrophes too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can't kill someone with my bicycle unless I use it as a weapon though

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
While I can absolutely understand why some people would never learn to drive because they didn't need to, it's weird to be proud to not know something.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I can walk so I never needed to learn how to ride a bike. Frankly, I'm probably saving lives given how many pedestrians are killed by cyclist a year.

And in an emergency I can just learn how to ride a bike, they're pretty idiot proof

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RagnarokAngel posted:

While I can absolutely understand why some people would never learn to drive because they didn't need to, it's weird to be proud to not know something.

i dont know what poo poo tastes like and i'm proud of that

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Instant Sunrise posted:

So what the hell is Agenda 21 any how did this become a thing with conspiracy theorists?

As far as I can tell, it's just a non-binding statement that means "hey wait a minute, having most of your population in a Robert Moses hellscape causes a bunch of social, economic, and environmental problems, maybe we shouldn't do that?"

somehow that's turned into "POPULATION CONTROL!!!!! :byodood:"

They like to say that but every signatory country at earth summit 92 in Rio was expected to write all this poo poo into law (which bill Clinton did via executive order). They keep repeating its non-binding so it sounds non-threatening but in practice it is binding. Remember when Trump was about to pull out of the Paris agreement, globalists world wide condemned him and said he wasn’t legally allowed to do it and ever since he pulled out, all these cities are coming out proclaiming they’ll implement it over their jurisdiction anyway, completely disregarding democracy and the will of the citizens.

See that’s the key thing about the agenda for the 21st century, their aim is to implement it at a local level. People don’t pay attention to municipal politics and anyways 90% of the time elements of the agenda are passed without a referendum. The International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives aka ICLEI was founded with that goal in mind, to bypass the democratic process.

To really understand the agenda 21 one must have knowledge of it`s creator, the founder of the sustainable development mafia, Maurice Strong. I highly recommend you take 5 minutes to read his Wikipedia entry to get an idea just how corrupt this man is. I know a lot of people are confused as to what a true globalist is. Maurice strong is the quintessential one.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

boner confessor posted:

i dont know what poo poo tastes like and i'm proud of that

Cant eat your posts etc.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So, uh, my co-workers are claiming that Justin Bieber cancelled his tour because of some weird Eyes Wide Shut-style child sex trafficking ring in Hollywood that they tried to induct him into, and that's why he suddenly found Jesus?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

the sustainable development mafia

I bet the Coen brothers could make a decent-to-good film out of this premise

e: or maybe one of the Kids in the Hall, idk

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

They like to say that but every signatory country at earth summit 92 in Rio was expected to write all this poo poo into law (which bill Clinton did via executive order). They keep repeating its non-binding so it sounds non-threatening but in practice it is binding. Remember when Trump was about to pull out of the Paris agreement, globalists world wide condemned him and said he wasn’t legally allowed to do it and ever since he pulled out, all these cities are coming out proclaiming they’ll implement it over their jurisdiction anyway, completely disregarding democracy and the will of the citizens.

See that’s the key thing about the agenda for the 21st century, their aim is to implement it at a local level. People don’t pay attention to municipal politics and anyways 90% of the time elements of the agenda are passed without a referendum. The International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives aka ICLEI was founded with that goal in mind, to bypass the democratic process.

To really understand the agenda 21 one must have knowledge of it`s creator, the founder of the sustainable development mafia, Maurice Strong. I highly recommend you take 5 minutes to read his Wikipedia entry to get an idea just how corrupt this man is. I know a lot of people are confused as to what a true globalist is. Maurice strong is the quintessential one.

I think I got Bingo by filling in all 24 squares at once. That's somewhat impressive.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
"sustainable development mafia"

edit: goddamn it SatansOnion

double edit: just googled "sustainable development mafia" and I do believe our resident lunatic has coined a fairly novel phrase; not that novel though, he's just plugging "environmental mafia" and "sustainable development" as a conspiracy theory about city government together

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 18, 2017

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

They send one of our solar panels to the ground, we send one of their windmills to the scrapyard :toughguy:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah local governments aren't elected... o wait actually they are usually elected more directly than the POTUS

and maybe it's not just "globalists" complaining about Trump pulling out of the Paris accords, but rather it's people who are legitimately concerned about the environment?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah local governments aren't elected... o wait actually they are usually elected more directly than the POTUS

and maybe it's not just "globalists" complaining about Trump pulling out of the Paris accords, but rather it's people who are legitimately concerned about the environment?

Clean air is a globalist plot to trick you into denying yourself the health benefits of sucking on a tailpipe

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

QuarkJets posted:

No, no; he's on to something. After all, the earth is a globe, so therefore people who are concerned for the earth's environment are globalists, too, because they're advocating for the globe's interests! We thought it was an political/economic conspiracy, but it actually goes back to Big Globe again!

This poo poo goes deeper than we ever imagined!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
New Urbanism, Transit-Oriented Development, and the focus on walkability is a conspiracy to do what exactly? Reduce people's cost of living by giving them reasonable alternatives to automobile ownership?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

No, no; he's on to something. After all, the earth is a globe, so therefore people who are concerned for the earth's environment are globalists, too, because they're advocating for the globe's interests! We thought it was an political/economic conspiracy, but it actually goes back to Big Globe again!

:orb:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i like to imagine that "globalist" is the term that flat earthers use to describe anyone who doesn't have a broke-rear end brain like theirs

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

The Big Globe people got to my avatar, even!

:tinfoil: They Are Everywhere!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Illuminti posted:

I can walk so I never needed to learn how to ride a bike. Frankly, I'm probably saving lives given how many pedestrians are killed by cyclist a year.

And in an emergency I can just learn how to ride a bike, they're pretty idiot proof

With modern conveniences, I can get everything delivered to my house and do everything I need without leaving my chair, so I never learned to walk.

I'm sure If I have to walk in an emergency I can quickly figure it out. Toddlers figure it out and I'm smarter than a toddler.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't get why people think you need to learn to drive; no one else on the roads seems to have bothered!

:rimshot:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

I wasn't expressing pride, I was just disagreeing with the notion that learning to drive was a lifesaving skill in the same way that learning to swim is. In very many parts of the world it is completely optional. Sorry that you live in a place where people aren't free to have choices.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

Sorry that you live in a place where people aren't free to have choices.

If youre trying not to be smug this isnt helping.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the fact that there are large portions of america which are specifically built to be economically (and socially, and racially) exclusionary by requiring a car to navigate them when alternatives are possible (i.e. most people who live in car dependent suburbs don't live on a farm a dozen miles from town) is a gross crime against humanity but lets ignore this by arguing about whether or not it's a useful thing to learn how to drive, theoretically

boner confessor posted:

it's easy to spin as a tyrannical plot to take over america because americans are super anxious about the ability to drive cars and live on detached homes on a half acre of land. like it's part of our national character. if you want to piss off an american and you don't want to talk about history or the flag, talk about how suburbs are stupid and so is driving a car everywhere. you can't even have an urban planning or suburb thread in d&d without it devolving into a shouting match about how cities are soviet hellscapes and suburbs are cultural wastelands

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I heard people arguing against a bike path that would connect to some community on the basis that it would increase crime.

And ever since then I've always had amazing mental images of criminals riding their bmx bikes straight through the windows of McMansions, doing a sick wheelie, grabbing an X-Box and doing some sort of 360 kickflip back out though a different window.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

We're having a similar argument with light rail in my area. Norfolk put in a light rail line and neighboring Virginia Beach voted to block the extension to the beachfront. Ostensibly it was about money, but there is a strong undercurrent of "those ni poors" would ride the trains and, I don't know, steal big screen tvs and then ride the trains back to the hood with their loot.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MrUnderbridge posted:

We're having a similar argument with light rail in my area. Norfolk put in a light rail line and neighboring Virginia Beach voted to block the extension to the beachfront. Ostensibly it was about money, but there is a strong undercurrent of "those ni poors" would ride the trains and, I don't know, steal big screen tvs and then ride the trains back to the hood with their loot.

I've always rather liked this one. Burglars pushing a wheelbarrow of expensive electronics onto the trolley on their way back from a successful heist that in no way suffers from having ten zillion witnesses observe the loot.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

the fact that there are large portions of america which are specifically built to be economically (and socially, and racially) exclusionary by requiring a car to navigate them when alternatives are possible (i.e. most people who live in car dependent suburbs don't live on a farm a dozen miles from town) is a gross crime against humanity but lets ignore this by arguing about whether or not it's a useful thing to learn how to drive, theoretically

you couldn't be more wrong. (used) cars and fuel are actually absurdly inexpensive. It`s the government who, via taxes, regulations, registrations and predatory policing, are artificially augmenting the cost of car ownership. whats truly socially and racially exclusionary is making having a vehicle out of reach of the middle and lower class, causing them to be confined to their neighbourhoods and deepening wealth inequality.

Instant Sunrise posted:

New Urbanism, Transit-Oriented Development, and the focus on walkability is a conspiracy to do what exactly? Reduce people's cost of living by giving them reasonable alternatives to automobile ownership?

the thing is that they want to force us to eat insects, reside in micro apartments and live under extreme austerity. theres nothing voluntary about sustainable developpment, its about taxing you and making everything so prohibitively expensive you can no longer afford a single family home, cant afford to have a car and cant afford heating or AC....
Of course the tax exempt 0,0000001% still gets to roam around in bugattis and private jets.... agenda 21 is literally the blueprint for fascist corporate technocracy

both from this summer
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/irving-oil-carbon-tax-nb-1.4122789
https://translate.google.com/transl...d-pollueurs.php

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ugh the opioid epidemic needs to work faster imo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cricket protein tastes perfectly fine and high density housing is good.

My personal preferred eating bugs are seaborne, but I'm in board with breeding big fat land shrimp.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

It's a long way to go to get some zatku.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

MrUnderbridge posted:

It's a long way to go to get some zatku.

...Some what?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

i like to imagine that "globalist" is the term that flat earthers use to describe anyone who doesn't have a broke-rear end brain like theirs
They tend to use "globetard"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

boner confessor posted:

ugh the opioid epidemic needs to work faster imo

What do you mean?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
I was always under the impression that "globalist" was just a code-word for "ze jews"?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Switzerland posted:

I was always under the impression that "globalist" was just a code-word for "ze jews"?

Yes. Same with "reptilian."

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

WrenP-Complete posted:

What do you mean?

Smoke Something has a history of opioid abuse amongst other drugs. Boner wishes they'd become a statistic. Definitely a drugfucked brokebrain, probably not deserving of death though, you'd be surprised how much people can recover. Sobriety does wonders for healing a damaged psyche.

Conspiratardism always seemed to me to be more of a stims thing than an opioid thing, with psychedelics and weed also fueling a bit of the insanity. I'm all for psychedelics and weed but clearly they don't work for everyone.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yes. Same with "reptilian."

Unless your David Icke. He really means reptilians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The thing is that they are intended as codewords, but there are a always a certian amount of crazy people who don't realize that and you end up with the terms being split between people who are just rehashing jewish conspiracies and people who really think that there are lizardmen pushing for a world government because they missed the dogwhistle.

• Locked thread