Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

if each of the last episodes are successively the worst one ever made i may actually have to watch them

its so first draft at this rate the next episode will feture a scene were arya says

"arya threatens sansa"

then stands there silently for 3 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm not gonna watch the new episode til I can see it on my big rear end HDTV officially so I have no idea what you are talking about

Though IK knocking out the dragon was p sweet

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if each of the last episodes are successively the worst one ever made i may actually have to watch them

nah theyre better than midseason episodes from like season 4 or 5. they move around more anyway

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

facebook jihad posted:

I'm not gonna watch the new episode til I can see it on my big rear end HDTV officially so I have no idea what you are talking about

Though IK knocking out the dragon was p sweet

its just some bullshit dont worry about it

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Blue Raider posted:

nah theyre better than midseason episodes from like season 4 or 5. they move around more anyway

its nice to have plot progression but maybe theres middle ground between entire seasons of travelling and constant contextless "and then" timeskips?

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
sansa said weeks had passed what the gently caress do you people want

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Mr. Unlucky posted:

sansa said weeks had passed what the gently caress do you people want

same thing they want from trains

the soothing precision of time tables

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
lol imagine trying to write out a timeline for this episode let alone this season

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

lol imagine trying to write out a timeline for this episode let alone this season

I can't imagine caring enough to try.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

whoflungpoop posted:

same thing they want from trains

the soothing precision of time tables

i welcome any excuse

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

i welcome any excuse

I wonder why they skipped Germany

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

its nice to have plot progression but maybe theres middle ground between entire seasons of travelling and constant contextless "and then" timeskips?

How about a map with a dotted line snaking it's way across westeros?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
epic boatsex

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

bloom posted:

epic boatsex

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
The thing about Jon and Dany's growing relationship is that it doesn't come across as tryhard,

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

bloom posted:

I can't imagine caring enough to try.

Since there has been a lot of contention about the speed with which the Raven and Dany fly back and forth to get to our heroes, I thought it would be fun to do some math and see if it's in any way possible. So how long would Jon and company be sitting on that rock waiting to be rescued while the ice thickens enough to support an army of undead? Here are the things we need to figure out to do so:
How long would it take Gendry to get to the wall from where they were attacked?
-I don't think they traveled very far past the wall since it is stated that they Night King was already near Eastwatch to begin with. Not to mention that the journey for our heroes seems to take place within the course of less than a day. No campfire, no nighttime. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the run back to the wall could have been done within 6 hours.
How fast and how far can a Raven fly?
-This is a little trickier since these Ravens live in a fantasy world but I think the best way to think of them is like real life carrier pigeons, which can travel up to 1100 miles at an average speed of 50MPH according to this:http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Ravens and this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homing_pigeon.
How far is it from Eastwatch to Dragonstone?
-There never seems to be a map that's perfectly accurate depending on what you read so I went with this one: http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/map/versions/map_canon_only.jpg. Which means that they are 1900 miles apart. Let's call it 2000 since I'm sure Raven's don't travel in a perfectly straight line.
So this means that a Raven could travel from Eastwatch to Dragonstone in 40 hours without sleeping or eating/drinking. Give it 8 hours worth of rest along the way and that puts it at an even 2 days journey.
Now, How long will it take Daenerys to do the same journey? No idea really. I can't find any solid info on how fast or how long Dragon's can fly. So I'm going to assume they can fly at least as long as Ravens and say it will take another 2 days for her to reach our heroes near Eastwatch.
Overall this means a 4 day and 6 hour period for Dany to come to the rescue. So could our heroes possible last that long on their little island? Well we don't really have anyway of marking the passage of time here, except that we know the Wights had to wait until the ice around them froze hard enough for them to walk on. SOOOO.....
How long does it take for water to freeze until it's thick enough to walk on?
-Well according to this http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/How_Fast_Does_Your_Lake_Make_Ice , if we assume that north of the wall has an average temperature of -20 F (which is anyone's guess really but we'll assume the coldest point on the chart), this would mean in 4 days the ice could have gotten up to 12 inches thick in average conditions. According to the article, this means no snow and no clouds (both of which can reduce the ice forming process by half. Since there was both snow and clouds at the time, this could mean that anywhere from 6-12 inches of ice would have formed in 4 days time.
Now is that enough to support the weight of a human being or wight?
According to http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html it would take 4" of ice to be safe to go Ice fishing, 5-7" for snowmobiling, and 8-15" for various automobiles. Since we are talking about an army of undead crossing the ice and engaging in open combat I would be willing to assume we would need at least the 5-7" of ice required for snowmobiling, if not more like the 8-15" required by automobiles. All those bodies and jerky motions create alot of stress on the ice.
IN CONCLUSION:
It seems to me that the just over 4 day travel time required for Dany to to receive the Raven and fly to Eastwatch, seems to line up accurately with the amount of time it would take ice to grow enough to support an army of undead to fight on top of it in those conditions.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I hope a giant steps on some more people.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

im cute posted:

the asians in game of thrones world all have terrible Disease, fuckin look it up thats the truth

hwat

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
why didnt she just fly the dragon north, visually confirm the white walkers, and then fly away

instead of sending her most important potential ally to try and capture one on foot

my ability to suspend disbelief only goes so far and the last couple episodes are pushing it

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Fun word game:

1) Come up with any verb to describe what Gendry is going to do to the skellymans with his warhammer.

2) Insert into the following sentence:

"Gendry is going to (your verb here) Arya, Sansa, or both by the end of Season 7."

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a 32-year-old extremely cynical guy that uses the term 'epic boatsex,' I:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

I love the internet

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The black hole of chemistry

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As a 32-year-old extremely cynical guy that uses the term 'epic boatsex,' I:

Here lies a cynical guy. He never scored.

I mean this COULD be a good story in how hosed up it is but even then the breakneck pace is crazy for setting up any kind of emotional impact.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

myDad posted:

The thing about Jon and Dany's growing relationship is that it doesn't come across

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Would you pork Dany, teh queen of dragons and woman of nice rear end, if you knew you were related??

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Wanna plow dat rear end

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yes. They hosed up by introducing the white walker army so early. They should have been random encounters with a wight here or there. Maybe a single white walker at some point. Pretty much anything would be better and make more sense than what they have done.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe they weren't marching teh whole time

Maybe they just chilled a bit with their bonebros

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Zombros and skellymans have been furiously loving each other while NK watches for the past 2 seasons

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

El Padrino posted:

Zombros and skellymans have been furiously loving each other while NK watches for the past 2 seasons

He loves to watch

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't wait to see Jon & Dan's epic goatse

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

gonna bother that cunny

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

El Padrino posted:

Wanna plow dat rear end

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

What episodes / story took place that Jon did that big loop above winter east west?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Zzulu posted:

Maybe they weren't marching teh whole time

Maybe they just chilled a bit with their bonebros

Yea, they probably were waiting for Dany to arrive so they could get that dragon. The wall is still there and no dead can cross it, so they can't really do poo poo.

Also, this doesn't take into account the detour they took to go after Bran and the OG 3-Eyed Raven.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
cant they just build boats

??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just switched to this tab and saw I was going to post something. No loving idea what.

-------

This is how the writers have been writing the show for the past two seasons.