Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Ok, I know that there are many jokes about door around here but what the gently caress, they are having 2 minutes of their video about how they are having problems with doors still.

Unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Theres a reason Star Trek Voyager was the shittiest Star Trek. gently caress the God drat journey and give me what i loving paid for that was supposed to release 3 years ago you idiots.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

Guess they are going to have to sacrifice graphical fidelity, player count, "seamless" transitions or a combo of all of them to get this out in playable fashion.

Also people are going to be right loving pissed when they see how hosed up their favorite space chariot has become.

Theyre pulling a NMS :grin:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Titanic posted:

You need to try to work on my suggestion of turning this into a subforum for all in-progress gaming train wrecks beyond just Star Citizen.

There's that Ashes of Creation game and no doubt other great cons are going to follow in the footsteps of Chris Roberts' magnum opus of money making with lies.

We're doing these games an injustice by not helping them get the attention they do rightly deserve!

You'll also ensure these threads will continue long after CR cashes in for the last time! Think of the future! :)

This is a good idea, dsmart has had his run, time to make this place more interesting

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

A user requested that we not use "Derek Smart's Nightmare Autism Battle Arena" and it was the best I could come up with on the spot =/

Kickstarter Nonstarters feat. Star Citizen and Ashes of Creation

How to Kickstart your Hedge Fund: Overpromising and Underdelivering

101 Pledges: Dubious Projects and the Cut-and-Run

"I blew that 30k on beer and strippers" and other great Kickstarters

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Quavers posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Chris Roberts Refactors > Star Citizen

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Chris Roberts Scope Creeps > Star Citizen

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Chris Roberts Saves PC Gaming > Star Citizen

> Games > gently caress it, here's a fiver > Star Citizen

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"I blew that 30k on beer and other strippers" and other great Kickstarters
fixed

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
But but but don't they have a secret 3.0 dev build that works flawlessley 60fps 1000 players without effort that perfectly represents Chrispo's vision, why don't they just release that and then fix all those nasty blockers on the pleb public 3.0 then release it as 3.1 ?

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
lol can you imagine being me and saying that star citizen won't come out and that getting a refund is probably the smartest idea you'll make involving this

man you'd be so loving owned

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Discussion > Games > Its just an overpriced belt you loving goon > MOMAs MADhouse

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TheAgent posted:

lol the latest atv was pulled due to audio issues

The audio is being refactored to create both left AND right channels of the stereo field. Although this might delay the release, the vision of our visionary leader demands we push the envelope. Delays are the natural consequence of trying to achieve something that's never, ever been tried before, by anyone else, ever. A youtube video. With audio. In stereo..

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

A user requested that we not use "Derek Smart's Nightmare Autism Battle Arena" and it was the best I could come up with on the spot =/

That user should be loving banned.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
I heard the servers can really support over 1000 people but the devs just haven't dropped the netcode for it yet because __________________, and star citizen is the bdsse.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

also the bdsse is Star Citizen

The factual truth has been told.

p.s. stop holding out - more BART!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I'm the glowing lantern casting a shadow.

The poly count in those hands is approaching the PS2 levels.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TheAgent posted:

expect to hear a lot about "code merging" and somehow its all lumberyards fault because amazon won't support them in the next year

Oh yeah! Yeah turns out when you have no process coherence, and incompetent, ineffectual project management, everyone just fucks off and works in a long-lived branch so they can write code that doesn't constantly collide with everyone else like a KSP botched launch video montage set to yackity-sax. Well, due to the arrow of time and entropy, every code branch will diverge from every other and incur a chaos penalty. So when you collectively snap back into reality-land, and remember you all have to merge your changes back together, and it actually has to not only compile, but WORK, it all explodes in horrible fashion that more closely resembles the end of Dr. Strangelove, and you get that sickening feeling that you, the organization, really hosed up.

They call it "big-bang integration" for a reason, and it's always horrible and rarely yields good software.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Oh yeah! Yeah turns out when you have no process coherence, and incompetent, ineffectual project management, everyone just fucks off and works in a long-lived branch so they can write code that doesn't constantly collide with everyone else like a KSP botched launch video montage set to yackity-sax. Well, due to the arrow of time and entropy, every code branch will diverge from every other and incur a chaos penalty. So when you collectively snap back into reality-land, and remember you all have to merge your changes back together, and it actually has to not only compile, but WORK, it all explodes in horrible fashion that more closely resembles the end of Dr. Strangelove, and you get that sickening feeling that you, the organization, really hosed up.

They call it "big-bang integration" for a reason, and it's always horrible and rarely yields good software.
so what you're saying is

there's a chance

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

I'm the glowing lantern casting a shadow.

The poly count in those hands is approaching the PS2 levels.

I'm the bit where he talks about there being several different actors for the shop keepers and then several different counters and how now they don't all match up ........ like what the hell, did he not look at Chris Roberts game design documents or something. It's like he is saying that this was poorly thought out or something.

It can't be poorly thought out, Chris Roberts dreamed it, it's the BDSSE

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

And these are just the issues that they are willing to admit to. I wonder what the real number is.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

hot balls man no homo posted:

And these are just the issues that they are willing to admit to. I wonder what the real number is.
If they haven't released anything for Gamescom, it's bad. I'm not trying to say this as some rumor mongering internet rear end in a top hat, but as someone who has dealt with and managed huge projects for over a decade.

This is really loving bad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

'Let's not distract people with videos, it affects their work!'
*drags out devs we've never seen before*

"Retribution" is a suitable word to put over all your videos.

The last one is a Ben.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Viscous Soda posted:

3.0 at Citcon confirmed!

...2018! Book early!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I'm going to be biting my nails along with the backers, hoping this mess blasts past CitCon and to be able to witness the fallout.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

'Let's not distract people with videos, it affects their work!'
*drags out devs we've never seen before*

The last one is a Ben.

Why do they all look like they're stoned off their gourds?

It's not just good timing with the pics, their eyelids are puffy as gently caress and those bags under their eyes could hold Crobblers holiday to Monaco luggage.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tokamak posted:

I'm going to be biting my nails along with the backers, hoping this mess blasts past CitCon and to be able to witness the fallout.
You and this guy

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Only the dead have seen the end of crunch...

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

AtV presented by a Spiritual Gangster and a Zero.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Quavers posted:

More cafeteria bullshit :laffo:

They can't put an NPC in a chair. This is good for Star Citizen.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Well now we know why they stopped giving an eta for 3.0.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
They're still on about that goddamn cafeteria? :psyduck:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Let's try cig marketing

What is he recoiling in shock from?

(aside from realising his finished animation overlaps with animations of other characters in the scene)

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

hot balls man no homo posted:

Or, put differently, these are only the issues they've found so far. There's something I call the defect onion. Major/showstopper defects almost always prevent you from actually testing your software. So fixing one crash to desktop just lets you go a little bit farther so you can find the next crash to desktop. So you have an onion of defects. Fix one and you peel off a layer to reveal the next one. And all that is assuming your fix for the previous defect didn't cause at least one new defect, which is no safe bet, especially with CIG-caliber code.

Right about now, if this is a new concept, you're probably feeling the dread of what's referred to as the point of irreducible number of defects. It's been my belief that CIG hit that point over a year ago, which is why they just can't seem to release any software for almost a year.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Only the dead have seen the end of cafeteria mocap.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Tokamak posted:

:same: but I think we want 3.0 more than the hardline backers. While it is still unreleased they can dream of it like it's the second coming of christ, but when it is released they have to deal with the hard realities that come with it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

'This it the result of thousands of hours...'

http://i.imgur.com/zcf34mK.mp4

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
A hundred and fifty million dollar hastily rendered PS2 demo disc.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure if they intended ATV to be that revealing but boy does it tell a lot of stories.

Seems the devs are literally going through dev hell and fighting the engine full on.

Also the level of enthusiasm those guys had for the game was nonexistent. I got more vibes of "poo poo, at least we got it done and it didn't break anything else".

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

something about this project isn't quite right anyone else agree?

no fud plz

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Guys, one guy drinking four cups of coffee at the same time is integral to the plot. Get it fuckin right