Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Burkion posted:

Like even with, say, End of Time- that wasn't part of some grand scheme. The Doctor fell into his lap, he just happened to get his memories back, had the TARDIS all to himself, and then the drat thing got locked to two years.

That was Last of the Timelords

End of Time was when he randomly happened to find an alien medical device, said 'gently caress it, that'll do', and turned everyone into copies of himself and took over the world like 5 minutes later.

So yeah, your point still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Master does whatever they feel like at any given moment and gives no fucks and it's hilarious because that's precisely what the Doctor is always pretending to do. Oh, I'm a free-spirited adventurer, I'm a madman with a box. Pff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HopperUK posted:

The Master does whatever they feel like at any given moment and gives no fucks and it's hilarious because that's precisely what the Doctor is always pretending to do. Oh, I'm a free-spirited adventurer, I'm a madman with a box. Pff.

That's not what Peter Davison would have said about himself!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

That's not what Peter Davison would have said about himself!!

Peter Davison's a wonderful actor, probably, but I'm not terribly interested in what he has to say about the Doctor, anymore.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I mean, apart from the fourth one I don't think the classic Dr who were generally like, I'm a crazy wanderer madman in a box guy. And even the fourth doctor, like, followed orders and went on missions for time lords and stuff. the doctor as an AGENT OF CHAOS is a Moffat/Davies thing

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The First Doctor escaped from the Time Lords and sabotaged his own Tardis to go on an adventure on the *second* story of his run.

It's always been part of his character.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, apart from the fourth one I don't think the classic Dr who were generally like, I'm a crazy wanderer madman in a box guy. And even the fourth doctor, like, followed orders and went on missions for time lords and stuff. the doctor as an AGENT OF CHAOS is a Moffat/Davies thing

Uh, well

Um

No. No that's not quite accurate.

Like you are correct in the sense that they did not consider themselves crazy, but generally speaking the first two were even more rogue than any of the current Doctors. The First and Second were just straight up on the run from the Time Lords before they became a joke of a thing, and the First Doctor had zero control over the TARDIS for a while.

The Third Doctor would have been a wandering man if he could have been, but his tenure on Earth forged too many ties.

The Fourth Doctor only did things for the Time Lords when they forced his hand on the matter, like remember he only did the Genesis of the Daleks because they literally stole him from his TARDIS and threw him on Skaro and told him to do poo poo or else he'd be stuck there.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Uh, well

Um

No. No that's not quite accurate.

Like you are correct in the sense that they did not consider themselves crazy, but generally speaking the first two were even more rogue than any of the current Doctors. The First and Second were just straight up on the run from the Time Lords before they became a joke of a thing, and the First Doctor had zero control over the TARDIS for a while.

The Third Doctor would have been a wandering man if he could have been, but his tenure on Earth forged too many ties.

The Fourth Doctor only did things for the Time Lords when they forced his hand on the matter, like remember he only did the Genesis of the Daleks because they literally stole him from his TARDIS and threw him on Skaro and told him to do poo poo or else he'd be stuck there.

Five's signature line is about running away from responsibility, even if he did mostly play the Responsible Dad, Six's TV run is crazy chaos personified, and while Seven's run eventually revealed him to be a careful planner, he started off as a Dr. Malaprop who barely knew what was going on. He's always been a madman with a box.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Mods, please change the thread title to Doctor Who: Martin van Buren in a Japanese game show

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Pour one out for Jimmy, who died in a tragic power substation accident.

Twice.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Just got back from The Five Doctors with Rifftrax. The dunking on Turlough at the end was brutal.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did I jump my cue?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can someone explain what so perfect about the Perfect Killing Machine?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

Can someone explain what so perfect about the Perfect Killing Machine?

Drugs

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

From Season 2 on, "Agent of Chaos: is exactly how I'd describe the First Doctor. His "plans" usually involved screwing with the bad guys' schemes until they just fell apart on their own. In other words...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love this beautiful thing a whole lot. I never knew about it, I guess I'm a bit of a slow coach.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I guess I'm a bit of a slow coach.
I read that as slow couch and now I want a TARDIS whose Chameleon Circuit is trapped in the shape of a chaise lounge

Imagine the climax of Day of the Doctor, but instead of police boxes, it's different types of furniture

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vinylshadow posted:

I read that as slow couch and now I want a TARDIS whose Chameleon Circuit is trapped in the shape of a chaise lounge

Imagine the climax of Day of the Doctor, but instead of police boxes, it's different types of furniture

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ah, so it's the Sofa of Rassilon

I suspect there's a room in the TARDIS filled with 'The [X] of Rassilon" mementos

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Vinylshadow posted:

Isn't that the plot of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

A Chesterfield?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Did I jump my cue?

Just pretend you're in King Lear, you'll get through this.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

fractalairduct posted:

Isn't that the plot of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?

The sofa got where it is because of a faux-TARDIS, not because it was one (unless there's a subtext there that I missed!)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Anonymouse Mook posted:

A Chesterfield?

Chatterfield :eng101:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Half off Companion Chronicles (except the recent box set releases) on Big Finish

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Actually Time Flight owns.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SmHeP9Sve48

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Doctor flies around helping people, so it stands to reason that the Master just flies around causing trouble.

This was my feeling, and also that the Master's schemes are sometimes extremely small scale because the Doctor's are, too. Just as sometimes the Doctor saves all of reality and sometimes saves a single child, the Master can be destroying two-thirds of the universe or stealing somebody's takeaway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

vegetables posted:

This was my feeling, and also that the Master's schemes are sometimes extremely small scale because the Doctor's are, too. Just as sometimes the Doctor saves all of reality and sometimes saves a single child, the Master can be destroying two-thirds of the universe or stealing somebody's takeaway.

This, but with the Master in the Joker's place:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The sofa got where it is because of a faux-TARDIS, not because it was one (unless there's a subtext there that I missed!)

I really need to watch/read/listen to "Shada" then read those books again so I can see which bits he recycled from what.

"City of Death" I already know by heart, but I'm not going to let that stop me from watching it again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

Gotta be honest, this is the best depiction of the Joker I've ever seen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bicyclops posted:

The Master does seem like the sort of person who would steal forty cakes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

Terrible.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Facebook Aunt posted:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

And then he's held at spoonpoint by the Doctor who then eats them himself

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ah. It's been a while since I read it, I forgot the specifics.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

drat, season 10 is so good right up until the monks. There's a solid run of five episodes that I would say are solidly good, and even Extremis isn't bad, it's just not great as a stand-alone episode like Heaven Sent is - it matters for it what happens after the simulation.

The Pyramid at the End of the World is so bad, though. The only good parts of it are the jokes about Bill trying to get a date toward the beginning. The mystery of what consent is for the monks just comes off as stupidly convoluted. I recognize it's technically explained in the follow-up, by why the hell do they need something so specific? If their end goal is consent, why do they look like spooky corpses, turn people into sand and say things like "You look like corpses to us!" The Doctor keeps asking questions like "Would you do it - consent? It's your world!" and grasping at the air like this is some deep, philosophical question.

The military scenes are absolute trash. The characters change motivations from second to second, they're played by actors who seem like they're reading their lines for the first time while they audition for a high school play, they leap to conclusions that don't make any sense and aren't particularly compelling. It sort of feels like Nettheim didn't put any effort into directing it, because I think his work on the Zygon two-parter is actually pretty good, but Peter and Pearl often seem bored or confused in this one. Capaldi has none of his usual energy. He sort of floats around listlessly except for one moment when he gets a bit excited about Erica.

It is a baaaaaaad episode.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can pretty much get away with just pretending the Doctor beat the monks offscreen, something like the end of Family Of Blood happened but they cut it for time, and also he regained his sight in one of the million ways a man with a time-travelling spaceship could do that, and go straight from Extremis to Empress Of Mars. It's done an insane disservice by the following episodes (the Doctor having advance warning of the monks doesn't even end up mattering at all!) which is a shame because it's pretty much the highlight of the season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah if the end of Extremis had just flowed into something else entirely and we'd never seen the monks again, or even had a simple comment like,"Remember that time we stopped that invasion by those dead monks?" it would have been better than what we ended up getting. Having the Doctor realize he was a simulation but then figuring out he could send a warning to the real Doctor was a really nice twist, but they bungled the follow-up.

Pyramid at the End of the World feels like it comes from season 9, and it's a waste of a really good title!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Half off Companion Chronicles (except the recent box set releases) on Big Finish

All of the Steven stories in the range are really good and really well read by Purves but I have a hard time being enthusiastic in recommending them after learning that he only had bad things to say about Galaxy Four because he had "the girl parts" which is ridiculously disrespectful to the women he'd played alongside before and after. Calling the casting of a female Doctor "horrifying" is one thing I can write off as his just being an old man but the Galaxy Four thing is straight up nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

fractalairduct posted:

Ah. It's been a while since I read it, I forgot the specifics.

You're also possibly thinking of Life, the Universe, and Everything, where Ford and Arthur chase a spacetime anomaly in the shape of a Chesterfield couch across a prehistoric field.

• Locked thread