Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahaha, the director of The Inhumans pilot that was shot in IMAX said Marvel hired him because he's cheap and work fast.

https://www.cnet.com/news/marvel-inhumans-fast-and-cheap-director-roel-reine/

About the same time Marvel dropped a new trailer too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWd7WNI1dRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

Hahaha, the director of The Inhumans pilot that was shot in IMAX said Marvel hired him because he's cheap and work fast.

I posted about that over in TV IV. They shot the two-hour pilot, intended for theatrical exhibition, in twenty days. :laffo:

And I still can't get over Black Bolt looking like they just grabbed an old costume from the first X-Men movie and then did a quick re-sewing job on it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The MSJ posted:

I LOL'd pretty hard at the Triton guy pulling down his hood to reveal the horrible loving prosthetics and makeup he's got going on for his costume while trying to look all badass.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Oh man, every new trailer and image makes me cringe that much harder at how absolutely terrible this must look in IMAX pores-and-nosehairs resolution + screen size.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

I posted about that over in TV IV. They shot the two-hour pilot, intended for theatrical exhibition, in twenty days. :laffo:

And I still can't get over Black Bolt looking like they just grabbed an old costume from the first X-Men movie and then did a quick re-sewing job on it.

what? you're joking. 20 days?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MacheteZombie posted:

That's actually kinda amazing, if true.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lockjaw should be counted in the Royal Family.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MacheteZombie posted:

That almost earns some cormanesque respect, tbh

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

Lockjaw should be counted in the Royal Family.

Leaving him out would just be... Inhuman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

McSpanky posted:

Oh man, every new trailer and image makes me cringe that much harder at how absolutely terrible this must look in IMAX pores-and-nosehairs resolution + screen size.

It looked awful in IMAX. I saw the trailer before Dunkirk and my goodness.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

That almost earns some cormanesque respect, tbh

This is is the same guy who directed Scorpion King 3 and Death Race 2, so 'Corman-esque' is right. I think Corman even produced straight-to-video Death Race movies.

Are those movies actually kinda enjoyable or something? I seem to recall one or two goons kinda liking them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

This is is the same guy who directed Scorpion King 3 and Death Race 2, so 'Corman-esque' is right. I think Corman even produced straight-to-video Death Race movies.

Are those movies actually kinda enjoyable or something? I seem to recall one or two goons kinda liking them.

They're aight. If DTV action is your jam, the Death Race sequels are pretty much bog-standard DTV action, with the only missing element of the DTV Action Template being Scott Adkins.

e: 2 actually has a bizarrely good cast for a DTV movie, on a double-check to make sure it doesn't secretly have the Adkins Factor. It's basically Luke Goss, Lauren Cohan, Sean Bean, Ving Rhames, and then a loving murderer's row of South African character actors (you'll notice a lot of familiar faces from Dredd and Black Sails), including Sharlto Copley's wife.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 18, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

They're aight. If DTV action is your jam, the Death Race sequels are pretty much bog-standard DTV action, with the only missing element of the DTV Action Template being Scott Adkins.

e: 2 actually has a bizarrely good cast for a DTV movie, on a double-check to make sure it doesn't secretly have the Adkins Factor. It's basically Luke Goss, Lauren Cohan, Sean Bean, Ving Rhames, and then a loving murderer's row of South African character actors (you'll notice a lot of familiar faces from Dredd and Black Sails), including Sharlto Copley's wife.

That is a pretty amazing cast. I'm also amazed at how Sean Bean can be both high-profile movies or TV series and then appear on a cheap straight-to-vdeo stuff, sometimes in the same year.

By the way, here is an article analyzing whether Dick Grayson and Harley Quinn had sex in a cartoon movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The MSJ posted:

That is a pretty amazing cast. I'm also amazed at how Sean Bean can be both high-profile movies or TV series and then appear on a cheap straight-to-vdeo stuff, sometimes in the same year.

Bruce Willis is like the king of this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

You know, Nightwing being sexually dominated (and possibly raped) by women has actually come up more than once in the comics.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You know, Nightwing being sexually dominated (and possibly raped) by women has actually come up more than once in the comics.

It's purely consensual in the movie, despite Grayson being tied up. Harley also farts. There's a fart gag in the movie. I'm not joking. [edit] The fart gag doesn't happen during the heavily implied sex scene lmao.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just think it's interesting Bruce Timm picks up the "Nightwing as sexual object" thing but uses it to flog his boner for Harley Quinn.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

whatever, it's not nearly as gross as Batman and Batgirl loving in a prequel to the loving Killing Joke

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Grayson keeps getting raped and it's weird.

It's happened what, twice in the comics?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

Dick Grayson keeps getting raped and it's weird.

It's happened what, twice in the comics?

I just watched it and Dick's pretty into it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I just watched it and Dick's pretty into it

Oh I'm not talking about the movie

Just that it's a thing in the comics for whatever reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Combine clumsy attempts to appeal to female sexuality with the usual comic book attitude towards sexuality and things get pretty sketch fast.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Comic book superheroes actually loving is extraneous. Why do you think they fight each other?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

It's purely consensual in the movie, despite Grayson being tied up. Harley also farts. There's a fart gag in the movie. I'm not joking. [edit] The fart gag doesn't happen during the heavily implied sex scene lmao.

Wouldn't it be funny if it did haha

Like what would that even look like lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The MSJ posted:

"yeah we want it to be exactly a minute, just bring the dip to black forward on gorgon, karnak and auran"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If Marvel is smarter, Inhumans should focus on Karnak. Not only was his solo comic one of Marvel's best series recently, his power is also inexpensive to depict yet can be used in numerous cool ways.

Plus he is a kung fu guy. Agents of Shield manages to have a melee fight every other week and they're way cheaper.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How much influence does Ike Perlmutter have now? I find it odd that under his watch Captain America, whose creators were both Jewish like Perlmutter, got turned into a Nazi by some space nonsense.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How much influence does Ike Perlmutter have now? I find it odd that under his watch Captain America, whose creators were both Jewish like Perlmutter, got turned into a Nazi by some space nonsense.

Perlmutter is a Trump supporter, so I doubt he cares about stuff like that.

Also, is Cap still a nazi in the comics?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Equeen posted:

Also, is Cap still a nazi in the comics?

Yep. I think the event is finally coming to a head though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Inescapable Duck posted:

Combine clumsy attempts to appeal to female sexuality with the usual comic book attitude towards sexuality and things get pretty sketch fast.

Yeah. It's weird, Nightwing is one of the few superheroes from either major company that does genuinely appeal to women (and a lot of his comics are shameless about this appeal, making sure you get a good look at his crack whenever possible) but outside of fairly generic melodrama, comics writers really struggle with sexuality. One of those "encounters" was actually done sort of well and weird and treated with gravity and seriousness. But the other, like this Bruce Timm poo poo, is typical juvenalia from middle aged guys.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yeah, I can't even watch interviews with Timm anymore because of the creep factor

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I didn't see much of the Batman/Batgirl thing, though I'm not opposed to the idea as long as it's made clear it's not really a healthy relationship and ain't gonna end well. Bruce spends the DCAU pushing women away; he loses trust in Catwoman by the end of BTAS, spends most of JLU fending off Diana, and it's made clear by the first episode of Batman Beyond (not helped by the prologue events of Return of the Joker pretty much cementing the destruction of the Bat-Family) that everyone else has moved on with their lives but him, with him rescuing Veronica Dean's daughter. And that same show has Barbara Gorden end up in her father's old job and sceptical of vigilantism for good reason. Though the DCAU Batman was made very clear that he's incurably obsessed and can't stop being Batman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Timm is the perfect example of some one needed censorship to reign in their worst tendencies

Because it's not like this exactly comes out of nowhere. I think he's the only person that's ever pushed a Barbra and Bruce angle before, and dear gently caress was it not a good idea to let him indulge in that in the movie where she's crippled and doesn't get to add anything else to the film

This is slightly more harmless and fine. Movie's not great but whatever.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah. It's weird, Nightwing is one of the few superheroes from either major company that does genuinely appeal to women (and a lot of his comics are shameless about this appeal, making sure you get a good look at his crack whenever possible) but outside of fairly generic melodrama, comics writers really struggle with sexuality. One of those "encounters" was actually done sort of well and weird and treated with gravity and seriousness. But the other, like this Bruce Timm poo poo, is typical juvenalia from middle aged guys.

I kind of hope that Nightwing does get into a movie and they get Zac Efron or someone to play him and it goes full female gaze just to see the reaction from the typical comic book fan.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm not sure who I'd cast as Nightwing but Justice League is already pretty female gazey.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So because I watched 2014 Godzilla last night and just got reminded of how beautiful that loving movie is

2014 Godzilla is really good. Might be my favorite movie of that year

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress this is what I crave.

What a great run of comics. Fabian Niceza is a really underappreciated writer and he did some real great, poignant, self aware stuff in the series.

Like there's an issue right before it ended unexpectedly (after Cable decided to ditch the gun poo poo to actively change the world for the better, unMarvel-ishly) where he ruminates about whatever he does is destined to be rolled back and its great to read. Esp since it was after the next X-men crossover poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not sure who I'd cast as Nightwing but Justice League is already pretty female gazey.

The whole Marvel movies have been pretty female gazey, especially with Thor, but I think they realised early on that casting for superheroes should focus on the hunkiest, most charismatic guys they can find.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

The arrival of DC’s new Batman and Harley Quinn animated movie has been eagerly anticipated by fans

citation fuckin needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Inescapable Duck posted:

The whole Marvel movies have been pretty female gazey, especially with Thor, but I think they realised early on that casting for superheroes should focus on the hunkiest, most charismatic guys they can find.

Very few of the Marvel characters, male or female, are sexy in any way. Black Widow? Not sexy. Pepper Potts and Tony Stark? Not sexy. Vision and Wanda? Creepy. I think it really stops and ends with Thor, not Hemsworth obv but Loki. That and giving the Hulk chest hair. The closest they came back to that was Cap holding back the helicopter, but the Cap stuff is extremely disappointing, the portrayal of Cap past the first movie is so arrested. All his love interests are like, surrogate moms that tie his shoelaces for him.

And it's not like you can't do this right, Clark Kent's girlfriend is blatantly an older woman who has taught him how to gently caress, but the difference is, he has a good relationship with his mom and is a good man. One of the things that unambiguously stands out about JL is its emphasis on distinct male body types (likely as a way to dodge the fact that it's 5 guys and a den mother).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 18, 2017

• Locked thread