Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

At least ASoIaF will be finished by way of the show.

Kingkiller's TV/movie rights were picked up a couple years back (thanks largely to everyone wanting to get on the GoT gravy train) so maybe this bad Harry Potter self-insert fanfic will get an ending by way of a show as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

As great as the show is there's still some major characters / plot points that are missing from the show. Not to mention the lack of inner monologue that makes some characters appear one dimensional.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

while in the abstract i am mad that rothfuss gets rewarded with tv royalties, I am also vaguely interested to see whether miranda and rogers can spin gold from poo poo

alternatively maybe the whole thing will fall apart immediately without the rothfuss prose (?) that everybody apparently goes gaga over. I am honestly not sure what kingkiller would look like without everything being presented through kvothe's internal monologue.

Maybe they'll go the Sword of Truth -> Legend of the Seeker route and make a generic pulp-adventure show only peripherally related to the terrible source material

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 18, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It always amuses me that there are people who sincerely want more of George R.R. Martin's books. It's not going to be worth it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 18, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

The average donation was $65. For a set of playing cards and whatever kitch etsy level crap is being farmed out to a factory in China. Seriously, do these nerds have savings accounts and 401ks? It's not like any of these things will have any value in 10-20 years/

In fairness, neither will 401ks.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

ulmont posted:

That's what he said. Of course, that was also when he said book 3 would come out around 2010.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007/04/when-will-book-two-be-out/

I believe it later came out that by the books being "written" and "but there is still some editorial work to be done" meant that he literally had chapters that were nothing more than just a label saying Ambrose does something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PupsOfWar posted:

Maybe they'll go the Sword of Truth -> Legend of the Seeker route and make a generic pulp-adventure show only peripherally related to the terrible source material

Even that show was pretty awful at times. It felt like it was trying to copy Hercules and Xena but failed miserably. I never ready the books (and it sounds like that's a good thing) but the show did have the Most Evil Chicken Ever that I'd always heard about.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

I really hope that they at least somewhat go by the source material. Although without Kvothes inner monologue I'm not sure how it will play out as a series. As long as they don't pull an Eragon I'll be happy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait for people to realize how god-awful the dialogue is.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Confer posted:

I really hope that they at least somewhat go by the source material. Although without Kvothes inner monologue I'm not sure how it will play out as a series. As long as they don't pull an Eragon I'll be happy.

If they keep the structure that it's a story being dictated, they can probably pare down the language a bit and have Kote as a narrator say the internal dialogue.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It always amuses me that there are people who sincerely want more of George R.R. Martin's books. It's not going to be worth it.

Gurm can actually write though, is the difference. I'm going to say something crazy: the latter GOT books may actually be better on a prose level. They're just edited like poo poo and they've lost all narrative momentum.

This is me going off 7+ year old memories though so take with grain of salt.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

porfiria posted:

They're just edited like poo poo and they've lost all narrative momentum.

Ahh yes this author is successful so lets stop editing their books before we shovel them out problem.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

porfiria posted:

Gurm can actually write though, is the difference. I'm going to say something crazy: the latter GOT books may actually be better on a prose level. They're just edited like poo poo and they've lost all narrative momentum.

This is me going off 7+ year old memories though so take with grain of salt.

That's the general consensus in the Bad Thread. Usually. The whole of Feast and Dance could have been edited into one book (without a proper ending) but instead we got two books with no endings.

Rothfuss, on the other hand, just appears to be providing wish fulfillment student loan fantasy or something. I don't know, between two books I still don't know if there's been a plot at all.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The Legend of the Student Loan Haver

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

porfiria posted:

Gurm can actually write though, is the difference.

His prose is roundly mediocre, and the POV system of ASOIAF is probably one of the dumbest structural devices in the history of fiction. Poor editing isn't the problem, and reasons for the narrative stalling were there from the beginning.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I can't wait for people to realize how god-awful the dialogue is.

excited to discover that there were only ever 2 characters (eladin and kvothe himself) and everybody else around kvothe is a mannequin he projects things onto

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 18, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
While I'm definitely excited to see the episode dedicated to the world's currency exchange rates, I'm most looking forward to the episode where Kvothe tries to boil a woman's blood inside her body on nothing more than a hunch, and then goes on a fun prank adventure with that same woman later the same episode. Because he's so cool and good.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

PupsOfWar posted:

excited to discover that there were only ever 2 characters (eladin and kvothe himself) and everybody else around kvothe is a mannequin he projects things onto

Turns out it's just like Will Smith from I am Legend.

SpacePig posted:

While I'm definitely excited to see the episode dedicated to the world's currency exchange rates, I'm most looking forward to the episode where Kvothe tries to boil a woman's blood inside her body on nothing more than a hunch, and then goes on a fun prank adventure with that same woman later the same episode. Because he's so cool and good.

Did this all happen in the same chapter? It felt like it was more paced out than that. He did overreact just a little.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

I don't disagree that the end of ASoIaF will be unsatisfying but I do legitimately like the Dunk and Egg stories. I'd like him to finish so he can move on to writing some other (hopefully non wild cards) stories.

I actually feel similarly about Rothfuss. I'd like him to finish this juvenile high school fantasy story and see if his life experiences have improved his storytelling at all.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

funkymonks posted:

I actually feel similarly about Rothfuss. I'd like him to finish this juvenile high school fantasy story and see if his life experiences have improved his storytelling at all.

This is a good theory of why book 3 hasn't come out yet if you are an optimist about humanity.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Confer posted:

Are the Eragon books actually good? After seeing the movie I never went near them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are the Eragon books actually good?

No.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are the Eragon books actually good? After seeing the movie I never went near them.

you know a series is bad when even jeremy irons sleepwalks through the adaptation

look how goddamn bored he is

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Confer posted:

Did this all happen in the same chapter? It felt like it was more paced out than that. He did overreact just a little.

It wasn't the same chapter, but it was a really quick turnaround, IIRC. Like, within the same week, if not less.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

funkymonks posted:

Benson Cunningham posted:

This is a good theory of why book 3 hasn't come out yet if you are an optimist about humanity.

On the other hand, The Slow Regard of Silent Things exists.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

On the other hand, The Slow Regard of Silent Things exists.

On the other other hand, I liked the Bast story.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

I enjoyed them in high school and haven't went back to reread them. If you enjoy a book that's targeted towards that demographic and is generally a feel-good adventure story then I say go for it.

SpacePig posted:

It wasn't the same chapter, but it was a really quick turnaround, IIRC. Like, within the same week, if not less.

Gotcha, it took me a while to make my way through the books so I didn't realize they were so close together.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Book 1 was 16 year old self-insert fantasy. They get better, but never elevate beyond brain candy at best. They're an ok read if you're just out of something intense and need to relax your brain for a couple thousand pages.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

It is Star Wars in a generic fantasy setting, swapping the lightsabers for dragons.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

He should do something like write a sequel to Fevre Dream just to piss off his doting fanbase

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even that show was pretty awful at times. It felt like it was trying to copy Hercules and Xena but failed miserably. I never ready the books (and it sounds like that's a good thing) but the show did have the Most Evil Chicken Ever that I'd always heard about.

It was Xena and Hercules without a sense of humor or camp, intentional or not, which were those shows' bread and butter. Without them it was pretty empty, and X&H would have been too.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 19, 2017

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

the POV system of ASOIAF is probably one of the dumbest structural devices in the history of fiction.

Could you elaborate on this a little? And is it a problem with how it's used in ASOIAF specifically or shifting POVs in general?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Crimpolioni posted:

Could you elaborate on this a little? And is it a problem with how it's used in ASOIAF specifically or shifting POVs in general?

It’s supposed to help tell a multifaceted story about a complicated medieval dynastic conflict, but in essence Martin just needlessly kneecaps his ability to tell a story. Why exactly does he need a dozen specific POV characters with exactly the same limited third person perspective? This really limits how he can tell a story that's supposed to span years and continents. He can jump to any character or event he wants, or even change the POV in the middle of the story. There's absolutely nothing stopping him, but the POV "cycle" is a narrative straitjacket with no real advantages to it.

Even he's realized the limitations of the system but isn't willing to abandon it at this point, which is why the latter volumes see more and more "minor" POV characters popping up as the story grows pointlessly complex. The POV cycle means he has to detail the ongoing trials and travails of a dozen principal characters who are at times thousands of miles from each other. While it might be a good gimmick for a single book, Martin has to sustain it for half-a-dozen books and counting., whic leads to most of the series just treading water. He could simply take one or two of those narrative strands and expand it into a single book.

And the really galling part is that all the POVs are essentially the same: they all provide the same pseudo-realist limited third person genre prose. The various characters involved are wildly different figures, but none of that is conveyed in any formal or stylistic manner, only in content. The only differences are in the characters involved, and which of the three basic milieus Martin employs (a court with attendant intrigue, a journey through a dangerous landscape, and a distant and exotic land). It just gets monotonous.

It's very much a perfect example of trying to reinvent the wheel.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 19, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's one of the reasons why writing book 5 was nearly impossible. None of the primary characters were actually in Mereen when events were unfolding there. Tyrion and Jorah were slaves. Dany was making GBS threads in the desert. And none of the Dothraki or Unsullied were POV characters. So how the hell do you cover the political situation that's unfolding when you don't have a POV character to watch it happen?

That's why he had to suddenly introduce Barristan as a POV character in book 5. He couldn't just tell the story, it had to be from someone's perspective.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The best thing to happen to ASoIaF is the show. We're getting an ending, and as bad as it's written in the show it's still more interesting to follow than the last two books.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

The best thing to happen to ASoIaF is the show. We're getting an ending, and as bad as it's written in the show it's still more interesting to follow than the last two books.

I agree with this. I love the books (I even loved the last two, unlike most people) but with GRRM getting up there in age and not being a super healthy guy to begin with I can't see him living long enough to publish the next two books. At least Rothfuss has an advantage there so I'm sure we'll at least get an ending from him.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Confer posted:

I agree with this. I love the books (I even loved the last two, unlike most people) but with GRRM getting up there in age and not being a super healthy guy to begin with I can't see him living long enough to publish the next two books. At least Rothfuss has an advantage there so I'm sure we'll at least get an ending from him.

I'm not, at all. There's apparently a ton of money to be made without actually writing anything so he doesn't really have an incentive to finish and if he did people would care a whole lot less about him.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

eNeMeE posted:

I'm not, at all. There's apparently a ton of money to be made without actually writing anything so he doesn't really have an incentive to finish and if he did people would care a whole lot less about him.

I'll dislike him even more than I do now if this is the case. Then again, I'm sure he doesn't give a poo poo who likes him as long as he's still getting money.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've been reading through BravestOfTheLamps's critical review and while I agree with much of it (and it's making me realize how uncritically I read SF/F compared to other fiction) I'm not sure his negative view of the Rothfussian Attribute is warranted. The stranger attributes, if I recall correctly, are almost always used in Kvothe's narration, but there are a couple exceptions where they're used in dialogue from Auri and Elodin. I think there's a couple more exceptions outside that, at least one used in the framing story.

I always read these as indicators of how a Namer thinks about things. Elodin's whole spiel is that to be able to truly name things you need to understand it thoroughly and completely, which requires a mindset that doesn't think conventionally. So you get these strange, broad attributions like "heavy as a smooth river-stone" and "a hint of red sunset against the slate-grey clouds" attached to seemingly mundane things.

Of course, then you have the stuff that's probably not meant to be that like "moved with an air of bustling efficiency" so it's probably just Rothfuss not having proper editing.

Also, BravestOfTheLamps, do you have a MFA or Master's in English? Your criticism and analysis style is distinct.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Thinking about these fantasy writers who just can't seem to finish their work, it got me thinking about MZD and his planned 27 volume series, The Familiar. He's written 5 so far, each at 880 pages, and he's been publishing about 2 a year. I haven't read them myself so I can't say if they're garbage, but I did read House of Leaves which is a goon favorite I think so I doubt they're awful. It just makes me wonder how one guy can be so absurdly prolific but others can barely manage more than blog posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thinking about these fantasy writers who just can't seem to finish their work, it got me thinking about MZD and his planned 27 volume series, The Familiar. He's written 5 so far, each at 880 pages, and he's been publishing about 2 a year. I haven't read them myself so I can't say if they're garbage, but I did read House of Leaves which is a goon favorite I think so I doubt they're awful. It just makes me wonder how one guy can be so absurdly prolific but others can barely manage more than blog posts.

It seems like a theme with some of these guys. They start off strong, publish their books somewhat regularly and then once they get so far into it they get stuck and can't figure out what to do now that their initial creative burst is gone.

• Locked thread