Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mirio is way too cool to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
he's gonna noclip through overhaul's bad touchies

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I hope Mirio handles the situation perfectly, just like All Might would and thus making things even more interesting than if he had some flaw Midoriya didn't.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I mean Mirio's power is literally being untouchable so that seems pretty good vs guy who has to touch you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Unless Overhaul breaks him down into Le Million pieces

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I mean Mirio's power is literally being untouchable so that seems pretty good vs guy who has to touch you.
if Mirio's untouchable, he can't touch Overhaul either

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sure but most likely he has to activate it which gives Mirio the advantage of knowing when he'll be tangible. Or if it's like Shigraki's where only his hand can activate his ability he wouldn't even be able to time when Mirio punches him from behind or wherever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

kidcoelacanth posted:

People have been saying this since the comic started and literally one character has died (out of nowhere). I'll believe someone bites it when I see it.

It's one thing I like about this series and makes it more comparable to One Piece than, say, Dragonball or Naruto. In One Piece very few people die. Even villains don't really die often and when people do die, it's usually for a solid narrative reason not just to prove the villain is a big dumb jerk. So far our only real on-screen death was Magne and it looks like her death might have ultimately fed into Overhaul's loss.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't see mirio dying here

it's not like he's had more death flags than all might did when he fought all for one

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Rhonne posted:

What if Mirio just murders the poo poo out of Overhaul?

This is what I'm hoping for. Just brutally murder this poo poo out of the child abuser, but then people would doubt his temperament.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the "death flags" thing is really dumb because it relies on metaknowledge instead of explaining how events will go down within the actual context of the scene/world. it isn't necessarily wrong but dang I Don'T Want To Go on A Boring Adventure like thaT.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It all comes down to metaknowledge, really. Just within the context of the world this encounter could be written to go any number of ways. But Mirio has been built up like he has for a reason. It certainly makes me nervous about this encounter, even knowing that we had a similar situation with All Might and he made it out of it, and knowing that the deaths we have seen had basically no foreshadowing at all.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 18, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Death Flags are just ramping up drama every time they've been brought up, it doesn't mean anything besides that there'll be a climax of some form

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't see mirio dying here

it's not like he's had more death flags than all might did when he fought all for one

From what I have seen on the internet every character ever has had death flags at some point.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Pretty sure scoffing about death flags is a death flag, please be safe everyone.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I love the new hero, Death Flags

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I love how he part times as a crosswalk attendant.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

me too i heard he joined up with some other heroes and now they're the Six flags

but for real this manga has had very few deaths. Miro's failing is going to end up being the same as nighteye's he's going to end up too worried about the future and predictions to just go for it and save the day.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
next we're gonna have a flashback to like 5 minutes before the mission started to where mirio is showing deku a picture of his sweetheart back home

and also he was just 2 days away from retirement

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Death Flags is like that therapy cat who slept next to people who were dying. His job as a hero is to spend time with people who are about to die and no one is ever happy to see him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This is what I'm hoping for. Just brutally murder this poo poo out of the child abuser, but then people would doubt his temperament.

That would be a spectacular twist versus the "He's going to die!" crowd. Especially if it happens in a really messed up way like, phasing through Overhaul and just telefragging him if that would even work.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Nuebot posted:

That would be a spectacular twist versus the "He's going to die!" crowd. Especially if it happens in a really messed up way like, phasing through Overhaul and just telefragging him if that would even work.

with one of those greeting card buzzers that play a song when you open them in the actual shonen jump magazine that plays a quake soundbyte on the relevant page

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mirio can't telefrag anything though, it's key to how he uses his power

:goonsay:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tollymain posted:

Can he grab hold of something inside of someone?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tollymain posted:

Even if he solidifies himself inside another person?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Viridiant posted:

Death Flags is like that therapy cat who slept next to people who were dying. His job as a hero is to spend time with people who are about to die and no one is ever happy to see him.

Death Flags hangs out with Therapy Cat and Deadly Sneeze/Fever

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

Even if he solidifies himself inside another person?

doesn't matter what it is, he just sort of blips to the nearest position unoccupied by solid matter (unknown how his quirk interacts with water, it clearly ignores air)

Nessus posted:

Can he grab hold of something inside of someone?

the moment any part of him 'solidified' to attempt to sieze something, he would be repositioned such that his hand/etc would be outside any solid object

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He could maybe destroy robots, or any opponent with a big enough empty hole inside them. By putting his arm inside something and then only solidify his fist, he could grab some wires or whatever inside, then solidify his arm and he would glitch out, maybe possibly still holding the wires.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Terper posted:

He could maybe destroy robots, or any opponent with a big enough empty hole inside them. By putting his arm inside something and then only solidify his fist, he could grab some wires or whatever inside, then solidify his arm and he would glitch out, maybe possibly still holding the wires.
The stomach is often kind of an open space - oh no did Mirio do All Might dirty :ohdear:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mirio was sasuke this whole time and now he's gonna defect. that other sasuke was there to throw us off the trail!!!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Terper posted:

He can also make things intangible too. Do things glitch out with him, or can he like. Pick up a rock, glitch through someone but leave the rock in their brain?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im assuming the rock immediately pops to a position in contact w their head and then falls

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The point with Mirio I think is for Nighteye to be proven wrong about his evaluation of both Deku and Mirio.

So Mirio is set up for failure; either by getting killed or maimed, or possibly a moral failure. Overhaul does have his mook named "chronostasis" with him and the presumably permanent quirk-destroying bullets + antidote.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whys mirio gotta outright fail though

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

whys mirio gotta outright fail though

I think it's because we're hung up on the idea that this is Deku's story and he is going to be the number 1 hero and here we have someone that is a clear contender and we want assurance that Deku establishes dominance straight away.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Generally not much good happens to characters presented like the big three.

I can't really think of a pithy term for it but in shounen it's not uncommon for the burgeoning protagonist and his crew to meet a seemingly hyper-competent person or group on the verge of entering the larger world to much hype for them to job hideously as proof that you need some x-factor or particular trait to make it in bigboy world.

Here it's also hubris. Nighteye specifically brought Deku on to show him that Mirio is better. He can't not get owned for that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He just has to wrap a bandage around one finger and he's good to go.