Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is exactly what you want, then, if you can find it. I am lazy so I would just melt white chocolate, grind up coconut flakes, and stir them together (maybe with a little coconut oil to thin). Or lazier, just get regular candy melts and add coconut flavoring/extract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Squashy Nipples posted:

I forgot to reply to this, but I've done this, and it comes out amazing.

This is also where I got my inspiration to combine seitan and TVP for making mock meats, because pretty much all of the Morningstar Farms mock meats are based on a combination of the two.

Have either of you tried the "Crumbles"? They've changed them since the last time I had them, but they're what my mother always used for biscuits & gravy growing up. I know they discontinued them for a while, but I think they're back?

They're easily my favorite item of straight "meat replacement". Maybe apart from the Morningstar corn dogs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Loutre posted:

Have either of you tried the "Crumbles"? They've changed them since the last time I had them, but they're what my mother always used for biscuits & gravy growing up. I know they discontinued them for a while, but I think they're back?

They're easily my favorite item of straight "meat replacement". Maybe apart from the Morningstar corn dogs.

Never have, I don't recall seeing them in the grocery though, but haven't looked around since I moved, maybe my new store will have them. I just figured it's worth a mention as it's easily the best 'meat substitute' recipe that I've had/ made that works flawlessly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

Sorry, I meant coconut flavored icing. Like for drizzling over biscotti. I'm not much of a baker so I don't even know if icing is the right term.

Yeah, you're not looking for icing at all, you're looking for coconut flavored white chocolate. Anne Whateley's suggestion above is probably the cheapest way to do it in a satisfactory way.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Cool, thanks, I'll look around for some melts.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I started a salmon cure last night following this recipe to make some homemade lox. All of the recipes I've seen have said to periodically drain off the liquid that the salmon releases. However, the liquid that it releases contain a lot of the dissolved salt and sugar from the dry brine. Should I still drain it, and just allow whatever salt and sugar is left over to continue the curing process?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Maybe just dab it up with a paper towel?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Hi friends:

(1) I'm cooking through b r a v e t a r t and need to find a better (ok, well any) chocolate source in NYC. The local spot near me has callebaut milk choc blocks, but just wondering where that next level is beyond callebaut blocks at whole foods?

(2) This is kinda food adjacent, but I have FUCKTONS of corks and wooden wine boxes and was wondering on some DIY applications.. I guess coasters and corkboards are the first thought for the corks, and all the boxes, well, I'm not really sure.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try a restaurant supply store?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What kind of chocolate are you looking for? It seems like the kind of thing Kalustyan's would have, but I don't remember seeing chocolate there, so maybe call ahead?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Turkeybone posted:

(2) This is kinda food adjacent, but I have FUCKTONS of corks and wooden wine boxes and was wondering on some DIY applications.. I guess coasters and corkboards are the first thought for the corks, and all the boxes, well, I'm not really sure.

Wine cork carving! Turn them into little figurines you can sell on Etsy or hide in the notches of trees. And turn all the boxes into a fort for your cat! And adopt a cat!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Turkeybone posted:

Not a DIY project, but the co-op I work for has a bin for recycling corks, via recork.org. They've got a donation location finder on the site, or you can ship them if you've got a fuckton. They sell the recycled cork to save trees and make stuff like cork-soled shoes and whatnot.

As for the wine boxes... I'm in desperate need for shelving, so if I had a ton of wooden wine crates I'd stack 'em sideways, apply some wood glue/screws, slap some stain on it, and admire my new hipster bookshelves.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

What kind of chocolate are you looking for? It seems like the kind of thing Kalustyan's would have, but I don't remember seeing chocolate there, so maybe call ahead?

Basically like the nicer valhronas and other brands I might not know about -- I assume most restaurants just order from Baldor, so I guess I'm looking for the average schmuck equivalent (yes this is a NYC specific question so sorry for the 95% of goons this doesnt apply to).

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As for the wine boxes... I'm in desperate need for shelving, so if I had a ton of wooden wine crates I'd stack 'em sideways, apply some wood glue/screws, slap some stain on it, and admire my new hipster bookshelves.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking -- I have tons of ikea/kallax type shelving but bottles get lost when those shelves go 6 bottles deep. Thanks!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Basically like the nicer valhronas and other brands I might not know about -- I assume most restaurants just order from Baldor, so I guess I'm looking for the average schmuck equivalent (yes this is a NYC specific question so sorry for the 95% of goons this doesnt apply to).
I'm in NYC, that's why I recommended Kalustyan's -- they have a ton of professional and unusual things, like a hundred varieties of rice, molecular gastronomy chemicals in usable-by-one-person quantities, etc.I just don't remember any chocolate, but it might be in an aisle I didn't go down. They have a dozen varieties of every other thing.

I think Whole Foods has Valhrona? If not, Valhrona's center is in downtown Brooklyn. Eataly has a good selection iirc, but I would call ahead to ask there too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I need baby's slow cooker basics. I've had a slow cooker forever but I've never gotten around to using it because for the life of me I can't find out how to cook basics like chicken and rice. Any and every google search I try yields some Pinterest recipe with 8 ingredients I don't want to use.

I mean I'll be adding ingredients and veggies as I go, but I just want a chart or something saying:

Chicken Breast (1lb) 4 hours on medium
Rice (2 to 1 ratio) 3 hours on medium
Thin cut beef steak and potatoes (2 lbs) 6 hours on low

Or something similar. I just want to make a couple pounds of chicken and rice edible so I can add different things afterwards to meal prep, not three pounds of chicken cheddar goat milk sludge.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

vermin posted:

Which drink is the most comparable to alcoholic ice-cream soup?

Guiness float with a couple of shots of whiskey.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I'm thinking about making this cream of mushroom soup using my pressure cooker tonight but I don't actually have an immersion blender. Some googling suggests that it's possible to blend the soup in my blender instead as long as I don't fill it more than halfway through and cover the hole in the lid with a few layers of kitchen towel. Would this work OK or am I potentially dooming myself (and my poor blender)?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're fine. That's called an inverted immersion blender.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I feel like chicken breast in a slow cooker would end up overcooked. Chicken thighs would be better.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Rolo posted:

I need baby's slow cooker basics. I've had a slow cooker forever but I've never gotten around to using it because for the life of me I can't find out how to cook basics like chicken and rice. Any and every google search I try yields some Pinterest recipe with 8 ingredients I don't want to use.

I mean I'll be adding ingredients and veggies as I go, but I just want a chart or something saying:

Chicken Breast (1lb) 4 hours on medium
Rice (2 to 1 ratio) 3 hours on medium
Thin cut beef steak and potatoes (2 lbs) 6 hours on low

Or something similar. I just want to make a couple pounds of chicken and rice edible so I can add different things afterwards to meal prep, not three pounds of chicken cheddar goat milk sludge.
Yeah that's not really what slow cookers are good at. If you're trying to find recipes like that, it's not a surprise you're ending up with Pinterest-esque "can of mushroom soup"-type things. Slow cookers are good at stews, or huge hunks of meat like pork shoulders. Don't try to do a carb at the same time, and tbh if you want good results, do your rice in a rice cooker and potatoes in the oven.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah that's not really what slow cookers are good at. If you're trying to find recipes like that, it's not a surprise you're ending up with Pinterest-esque "can of mushroom soup"-type things. Slow cookers are good at stews, or huge hunks of meat like pork shoulders. Don't try to do a carb at the same time, and tbh if you want good results, do your rice in a rice cooker and potatoes in the oven.

Ok that explains that. Gracias!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anybody got some good weeknight vegetable side dish-type recommendations? I'm making all this pressure cooker/roasted/sauteed/Indian food/etc stuff but...I'm really, really behind on my veg, and it's not very healthy to neglect it. Suggestions?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pollyanna posted:

Anybody got some good weeknight vegetable side dish-type recommendations? I'm making all this pressure cooker/roasted/sauteed/Indian food/etc stuff but...I'm really, really behind on my veg, and it's not very healthy to neglect it. Suggestions?

http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/smashed-cucumber-salad/
http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/water-spinach-with-garlic/
http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/sesame-chinese-long-beans/
http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-potato-salad/
http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-style-cabbage-stir-fry/

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

IMO, keep it simple and use really fresh ingredients when it comes to vegetable sides and don't overcook them. Roast or lightly steam some vegetables you like, add a simple dressing, like butter & lemon, something rich and something bright & sharp to cut through the richness. For instance I had corn on the cob with melted butter and capers a few weeks back and the freshness of the summer corn, the richness of the butter and the salty acidity of the capers worked together really well.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with tofu? A local shop was selling some, but I have never really cooked with it before. I'll also be cooking for someone deeply suspicious of tofu, so I'd like to make something really tasty.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Here's a suggestion: use tempeh instead

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Enfys posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with tofu? A local shop was selling some, but I have never really cooked with it before. I'll also be cooking for someone deeply suspicious of tofu, so I'd like to make something really tasty.
What kind of tofu?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Tofu chat:

Disclaimer: I'm no tofu expert, but I do cook full time for a natural foods co-op deli that does a ton of tofu, and our stuff sells pretty well.

The thing to bear in mind with tofu is, usually the tofu is just a delivery medium for the sauce/dressing, when it comes to flavor. Don't think of it as a meat substitute, think of it like pasta (needs a sauce) or lettuce (needs a dressing). A steak can stand alone with a little salt and pepper; tofu isn't steak.

That said, our go-to method is to cube some firm tofu , then toss it in "red curry sauce":

1.5 c sesame oil
1.5 c tamari (or just plain old soy sauce, we use tamari bc it's gluten free)
4 Tb curry powder
4 Tb paprika
2Tb chili
2 Tb cajun seasoning

(We usually multiply this by 8 bc we're making 20 lbs of tofu. I think I scaled it right, but you might only need half of this for your average 1lb pack of tofu. Eh, poo poo doesn't really go bad if you have extra and leave it in your fridge.)

So you make this goop, slather your cubed tofu in it, then put it on a baking sheet and bake at 350 (or 325, or 375, goddamn when are we getting a new Vulcan that can hold a temp) for about 15-20 minutes. At this point you have tasty cubes! BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE

Let those zesty cubes cool off a minute so you don't burn yourself, then toss them in your sauce of choice. At my deli we do: tossed in sriracha with sesame seeds, one in bbq sauce, one in bottled thai ginger sauce, and one (not a fan tbh) that has shredded cabbage and vegan mayo. But basically if you do the red curry cubes, sky's the limit on how you want to sauce it afterwards. Good warm or cold.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Unfortunately Tofu takes a bit of experience to cook well (think about the first time you cooked a steak or chicken or something), so I'd recommend against serving to a guest, especially if they're suspicious of tofu.

Edit: Not that I don't think you can do it! I just feel like the floor of tofu preparation can be pretty bland. I'd at least plan on another main thing, then prepare the tofu as an appetizer/side. Something like fried tofu with dipping sauce can be good (for firm tofu), or in some kind of soup for softer kinds.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 20, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What pourers do I want for olive oil bottles? I'm looking to get some on Amazon but a bunch of people keep complaining about different sizes and other problems with it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PRADA SLUT posted:

What pourers do I want for olive oil bottles? I'm looking to get some on Amazon but a bunch of people keep complaining about different sizes and other problems with it.

I see people in kitchens and such just use squeeze bottles like the ones for ketchup and whatever.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

IMO, keep it simple and use really fresh ingredients when it comes to vegetable sides and don't overcook them. Roast or lightly steam some vegetables you like, add a simple dressing, like butter & lemon, something rich and something bright & sharp to cut through the richness. For instance I had corn on the cob with melted butter and capers a few weeks back and the freshness of the summer corn, the richness of the butter and the salty acidity of the capers worked together really well.

Ooh, butter and lemon go together really really well. I liked it in meuniere, anyway. It sounds like it'd go really well on steamed broccoli and peas, and I could roast some sweet potato and carrots as well. I'll have to practice and level up my veg...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I use a 16oz wide mouth squeeze bottle but oil eventually works through the threads and every once in awhile I need to wipe it down. No biggie though. The convenience more than makes up for it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Eat more broccoli. It's one of the most nutritious veggies you can eat. Oven roasted is nice, but I'm not above steaming frozen broccoli.

Eeyo posted:

Unfortunately Tofu takes a bit of experience to cook well

spankmeister posted:

Here's a suggestion: use tempeh instead

This is a terrible suggestion. While I enjoy tempeh, it takes way more effort to properly cook it then tofu does. Do it wrong, and it tastes bitter as gently caress.

As for tofu, hard to go wrong with the classic Mapo tofu, discussed on the previous page. It's a pretty simple stir fry, flavored with some beef, bean paste and hot peppers.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I don't have a link handy, but Korean braised tofu in gochujang is dope as gently caress

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I threw some chicken quarters in my instapot. How much liquid do I need at the bottom to get it going? I don't need to completely submerge it do I?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I threw some chicken quarters in my instapot. How much liquid do I need at the bottom to get it going? I don't need to completely submerge it do I?

You need at least 1 cup of liquid in an Instant Pot. Doesn't have to be water, it can be tomato sauce or something.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ron Jeremy posted:

One cup is what Instant Pot recommends, but it will depend on what you're cooking.
https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/instant-pot-frequently-asked-questions/

Also, that only applies to actual pressure cooking, not to the saute mode with the top off.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I should have mentioned I set it to slow cook, not pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ron Jeremy posted:

I should have mentioned I set it to slow cook, not pressure.

Then none is really necessary. The chicken will naturally render some fat during the cooking period, and slow cooking is essentially a long low-temperature roast, so no additional liquid is needed.