Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Fo3 posted:

Maybe later.
God damnit what the hell did your kid say :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

Locktite. Back when I lived in the lovely part of town, I had a license plate fame that was JB Welded shut.

there's no inserts for the bolts to go into so locktite wont help!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cage posted:

Yes.

Does anyone know what this piece could be, supposedly its from the front end of a car that was involved in a fatal hit and run.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/17/cheektowaga-police-release-images-fatal-hit-run-investigation/

Security footage of the car sucks so bad Im not even posting it.

Security cam pics are bad, but that roofline looks late-model Town Car to me. No idea what the plastic bit is.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Jumping on the "gently caress cancer" chat - we just lost our oldest dog (age unknown, she was a foster that we later adopted, she was maybe 2-3 when we got her in 2010 so estimates run from 10-12 years old) to hemangiosarcoma, an aggressive cancer of the tissue that lines blood vessels. Chemo would have given her a 4-6 month life expectancy vs the 2-4 she had without, so we decided to just keep her comfortable. Fortunately she didn't suffer and passed quietly at home on Sunday. Knowing it was coming for a few months softened the blow but the Mrs and I are still feeling pretty raw.

To make matters worse our Doberman just had to have a leg amputated after developing a bone tumor just above his ankle. Fortunately my wife works for a pet insurance company and we have a $7k annual limit policy on him and we're able to afford the $3k operation. His prognosis is good - we caught it early enough that it hasn't metastasized and he may not even need chemo afterwards. He comes home from recovery tonight.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Security cam pics are bad, but that roofline looks late-model Town Car to me. No idea what the plastic bit is.

Kinda looks like the foam that's inside the bumper on modern cars.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've been mulling over getting a van and blasting round all the major tourist sites in Europe before Brexit.

Last week, that was just a silly idea. Now when I say it, I get put on a watch list.

Edit why is the world so poo poo now? Remember when we could dream of touring round Europe in an Italian sports car? Now it's just one disaster, hate crime repression show of intolerance, greed and lack of love or respect for your fellow man.

spog fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 17, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

spog posted:

Edit why is the world so poo poo now?

I blame politicians, but then I think... we voted for them (not me and you per se', but we the people).

So I guess it's because in general people are poo poo, so people are making the world poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

I've been mulling over getting a van and blasting round all the major tourist sites in Europe before Brexit.
This couple are doing it in an Ariel Nomad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCm_0jM9DiztVHaSMvyAqxUw

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

gently caress lightning.

Woke up to a really loving close lightning strike, didn't know a storm was coming in this morning. PC was working, but said the network cable wasn't plugged in. Tried rebooting, and..... won't POST anymore. Tried different RAM, different PSU, different video card, with everything unplugged... sometimes it'll throw up a Gigabyte logo, but won't continue past that (can't get into bios settings either, even after yanking the battery and shorting the cmos clear jumpers for a bit). Motherboard has a scorch mark on it behind the ethernet jack, and the modem + router were non-responsive when I woke up (work fine after being reset). The port that the PC was plugged into on the router is dead too.

Thank gently caress I had a spare PC at my parents... older i5-750, but it works. HDDs all survived, SSD survived, video card survived, RAM survived. Pretty sure it's just the motherboard that got cooked.

(microwave, one phone charger, one surge protector, and a couple of lights that I usually leave on are also dead)

Guessing the surge that got the PC came in on the coax; everything else that was on surge protectors came out fine. Modem and router were on surge protectors, but there wasn't a surge protector on the coax. :downsgun:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My boss is a full time church-guy ( I don't the proper term, preacher, minister, whatever) and he is very dissatisfied with his life. He is married with six kids and they are stretched pretty thin pretty much all the time. He's slowly cracking under the pressure and today he started telling me about it and since he clearly wanted someone to tell him what he wanted to hear I told him to just quit and work in the shop full time or go back to teaching. He kind of had a little meltdown and now I'm extremely worried about him.

There's nothing I can do or anything, I'm just concerned for his mental well being. His oldest is going to college in a year, I imagine their money issues won't get any easier.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Guessing the surge that got the PC came in on the coax; everything else that was on surge protectors came out fine. Modem and router were on surge protectors, but there wasn't a surge protector on the coax. :downsgun:

I've had to deal with quite a few lighting complaints at work, and I often find evidence of it entering on a phone or cable line. They often fail to ground their lines and equipment effectively, so the high impedance dc pulse can run a long way.

A close strike is very difficult to deal with, and will overwhelm any surge device if it enters the structure. The only sure bet is to unplug (And in any case make sure your ground rod is there and properly attached, like not with a rusty 30 yo connector with a loose screw terminal.).

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Today at the liquor store I saw a hellaflush Volkswagen CC with a "MILFGANG" sticker on the windshield, proving once again that vw people are the worst

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

well since this is the cooking thread... I got an Instant Pot for my birthday.

I'm mildly (very) terrified of it, but I'm making a batch of pinto beans in it now. Supposedly it takes 20 minutes to cook them, when I normally cook them for 2+ hours. :ohdear: Trip report coming soon, if I don't blow up my kitchen first.

angryrobots posted:

I've had to deal with quite a few lighting complaints at work, and I often find evidence of it entering on a phone or cable line. They often fail to ground their lines and equipment effectively, so the high impedance dc pulse can run a long way.

A close strike is very difficult to deal with, and will overwhelm any surge device if it enters the structure. The only sure bet is to unplug (And in any case make sure your ground rod is there and properly attached, like not with a rusty 30 yo connector with a loose screw terminal.).

Yeah... I've dealt with it coming in on the phone line twice before. Once when I ran a dialup BBS - nuked 1 of the modems (external) and took out the serial card, but the PC survived, nothing else in the house got damaged (there were 3 modems on that PC.. other 2 modems were fine, weird). Another time in my 1st apartment - DSL modem got roasted (fucker actually melted a little), onboard NIC got zapped, but the router was fine :iiam: (it was an old, even for that time, Netgear RT314.. still have it somewhere). On that occasion, every surge protector I had got fried, and most of my circuit breakers were tripped when I got home, but the only loss beyond the modem and NIC was the microwave (which wasn't on a surge protector).

I know I woke up to one gently caress of a close lightning strike this morning, close enough that my ears were ringing from the thunder. And yeah... this building is 34 years old, with all original coax. It's safe to assume the ground isn't so great anymore. I've been meaning to put a surge protector on the coax since I moved here, just never got around to it. Since the modem and router survived relatively unscathed, I'm gonna guess a surge protector would have probably helped.

Casualties that I've found so far: microwave, motherboard, surge protector on the bedroom TV (tv is fine), one port on my router (the one the PC was plugged into), a phone charger (wasn't on a surge protector, thank gently caress there wasn't a phone plugged in to it), and a couple of lights.

I've swapped basically everything over to a spare PC - power supply, video card, RAM, HDDs, SSD - basically everything except the cpu and motherboard is now in another system. Pretty sure the CPU is still good too; it'll sometimes show a Gigabyte logo for a few seconds when I try to boot it up. I was hoping I could just track down the same motherboard (an old Gigabyte Z68 board), but used ones are selling for drat near what I paid for it brand new 6 years ago. :argh: This system works fine, but it's a bit older (i5 750) and obviously a bit slower than the now-dead one (i5 2500k OC'd to 4.4).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 18, 2017

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Quick rando questions, mostly for STR unless any of the rest of you goons know anything about late '90s GM.

My wifes DD 1997 Altima has gone through 2 distributors recently, so her mechanic on the side uncle recommended she start looking for something new. Due to student loans, I was wary of even trying to finance something and we set a smallish budget of around 3 grand.

Her best friend told her about a Malibu for sale by an old couple and for some drat reason, she wants it. All I know about it so far is that it's a 99 model year, cloth interior, well maintained, old people car with 60k miles. They're asking 1500. Is she out of her gourd, trying to relive the "fun"of her old Malibu she had while in college? Or is this an ok car for getting back and forth to work while looking like an old lady?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

$1500 isn't bad for a running car if it's in good shape, but that's definitely the (second) malaise era of GM. Definitely want to flush the cooling system (:10bux: says it has the original Dexcool in it) if she gets that. They're not a horrific car, but the quality isn't much better than a Cavalier. The 2.2 and 2.4 were prone to timing chain guide/tensioner issues, the 3.1 was prone to Dexcool eating the lower intake manifold gaskets. I'd probably still be fine with it if it was $1500 and had working a/c, so long as the LIM gaskets weren't gone yet (and I didn't drive it much prior to flushing the cooling system).

As for the Altima... if she wants to keep it going, she needs to drop the money on an OEM distributor, or find a used OEM. The remans are loving garbage. There's a seal inside of them that fails, and oil getting into them is what usually causes them to fail. A good chunk (I'd say most) of the remans don't replace the bearing, since "hey it still spins easily, it's fine!", even though you can't replace the seal without replacing the bearing. And even though it's a KA24DE, you can't use the distributor from anything but an Altima - every other car we got here with that engine was RWD, which used a different distributor.

e: instant pot makes loving amazing beans. overcooked them a little, but they'll make great refried beans

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 18, 2017

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

All excellent info, big thanks. I think the Altima is just getting too far gone, with over 250,000 miles, the interior is starting to return to base elements and dust. Not to mention the leaking rear main seal, bad paint on the hood and roof, rusty undercarriage, etc. Thanks for the info!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't think I've ever seen a KA that didn't piss from the rear main seal. And I definitely haven't seen a 1st gen Altima more than a few years old without peeling paint.

The distributor and timing chain guides are the achilles heel of what was an otherwise good engine, but 250k is real long in the tooth for even the best gasoline engine. If for some reason you guys decide to keep it though, a lot of parts are still available from Nissan - I'm local to Courtesy Nissan (courtesyparts.com) and used them for any OEM stuff (I'd order online, but pick up in person.. you got much higher pricing if you just walked in or called), I was amazed how much stuff was still available for my 99.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 18, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Had myself the sate form the OP - mixed into a kg of mince and rice. drat it was goooooooood and eough for lunch the next day

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I got a pressure cooker for my birthday last month too... it's in its box on my dining table cos I'm still terrified of using it in case I blow my house up. It's an electric one so in THEORY there's more safety features than the old stove top fragmentation bombs....

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Modern stove top pressure cookers have a ton of safety features.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dislike button posted:

Today at the liquor store I saw a hellaflush Volkswagen CC with a "MILFGANG" sticker on the windshield, proving once again that vw people are the worst

Stance/Scene are the worst.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KozmoNaut posted:

Modern stove top pressure cookers have a ton of safety features.

Tell that to the marathon runners.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

$15 burgers, chips and a pint of beer at the local pub beats cooking on a Friday night.

I probably should have had two strong gin and tonics before I went though...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Tell that to the marathon runners.

Obviously you can bypass them, if you're an rear end in a top hat.

Same as with water heaters.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hackers can turn your computer into a bomb !!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hackers can turn your computer into a bomb !!!

And it still wouldn't run Crysis on full! :argh:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

spog posted:

Last week, that was just a silly idea. Now when I say it, I get put on a watch list.

Edit why is the world so poo poo now? Remember when we could dream of touring round Europe in an Italian sports car? Now it's just one disaster, hate crime repression show of intolerance, greed and lack of love or respect for your fellow man.

neoliberalism

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

neoliberalism

Meh, more like Hard Core Conservative Resurgence

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Meh, more like Hard Core Conservative Resurgence

what do you think paved the way for that?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fridge corn posted:

Martha Stewart.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

I suspect decades of misinformation and rabble-rousing by Conservatives have more to do with it than Neoliberalism, bad as neoliberalism is.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

if you say "the white race and the male gender are in danger" enough times for long enough you're eventually going to get a lot of people to agree with you

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the biggest reason that conservatives have suddenly come out of the woodwork is because they think there are way more of them than there are thanks to the internet creating echochambers

then centrists, being the mealy mouthed limp dicks that they are, couldnt help but find common ground with both sides, except they tend to care more about taxes than they do minorities

anyways that's my drive by early morning hot take. welp, cya

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

then centrists, being the mealy mouthed limp dicks that they are, couldnt help but find common ground with both sides

Yes, gently caress you if you don't pick an extreme.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

When its "Nazis versus Anti-Fascists" you really do have to pick one.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

i edited to clarify just after you quoted me because i realized i would get these types of responses

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

fridge corn posted:

poo poo media, false information and neo-nazi's attempting to make a resurgence? gently caress anyone blaming this on liberalism. Its the right-wing trying to make themselves relevant again using literal Nazi tactics.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect decades of misinformation and rabble-rousing by Conservatives have more to do with it than Neoliberalism, bad as neoliberalism is.

sure but white supremacy movements and religious fundamentalism such as wahhabism have been around for centuries so why is it all kicking off now? is it perhaps the failed global economy is giving more impetus to these groups and causing their membership to grow?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

sure but white supremacy movements and religious fundamentalism such as wahhabism have been around for centuries so why is it all kicking off now? is it perhaps the failed global economy is giving more impetus to these groups and causing their membership to grow?

The global economy hasn't failed at all. That's bullshit, right off. The Internet is living proof of that.

What's happening is consolidation and automation: Less people are doing more work, and automation is replacing everyday blue-collar jobs. Instead of solving this with guarenteed income or social programs, the Right has chosen to turn it into a rallying cry for racism and xenophobia.

The Right is creating more of the Right, by gutting social protections and then stirring up the crowd to anger by blaming Immigrants and Minorities, while funneling money into the pockets of the wealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CommieGIR posted:

When its "Nazis versus Anti-Fascists" you really do have to pick one.

I wouldn't say "against fascism" is an extreme position

• Locked thread