Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The back half of the WoT books just annoyed me because the main characters basically stopped interacting with each other at all despite almost all of them being able to teleport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Wheel of Time Reading Order -

Books 1 - 6: Read the book, it's awesome!
Books 7 - 10: Read a summary online, depending on how deep you want to go either just wikipeida it or TOR did a chapter by chapter reread with summary and thoughts, its a good read in itself
Books 11+: Read the book

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

omnibobb posted:

Wheel of Time Reading Order -

Books 1 - 6: Read the book, it's awesome!
Books 7 - 10: Read a summary online, depending on how deep you want to go either just wikipeida it or TOR did a chapter by chapter reread with summary and thoughts, its a good read in itself
Books 11+: Read the book

I'd say, read book 7 and if a particular storyline bores you, read the summary. Then decide if you want to read the summaries for 8-10. The TOR reread is pretty good, but contains spoilers for the first 11 books, so it might not be a good idea to use it if you hate getting spoiled.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
There's a few plot points that are extremely exciting to read the first time through in WOT books 7-10: most notably the last chapter of book 9. But yeah, I have read through the series multiple times, largely because I'd usually do so before another book came out, and there's enough character POVs I skip in those books that I'm reading maybe 30%. Elayne is the goddamn worst, followed closely by whiny Siuan. I don't have as much hatred for post-two-rivers Perrin/Faile chapters as most, but I definitely skip the majority of them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Book 9's climax is one of the best in the series. Books 7 and 8 likewise have important and exciting chapters. All three thus have something in the way of redeeming features.

Book 10, though, can just gently caress right off. Nothing of value happens in the book.

Book 11 is good, and Sanderson's final three are also fine.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

How hard would the WoT books be to get in to? I never got around to reading them and at this point I'm worried they haven't aged well.

Fair warning, they are really weird about gender stuff. I found them to be kind of sexist, though some folks pointed out that for their time they were actually quite progressive.

Is book 7 the ebou dar stuff? That's how far I got before getting sidetracked with other reading, still wanting to force myself to get back to it sometime though.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

ConfusedUs posted:

Book 9's climax is one of the best in the series. Books 7 and 8 likewise have important and exciting chapters. All three thus have something in the way of redeeming features.

Book 10, though, can just gently caress right off. Nothing of value happens in the book.

Book 11 is good, and Sanderson's final three are also fine.

Does book 10 have Mat in it? If so that one was ok imo

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

RC Cola posted:

Does book 10 have Mat in it? If so that one was ok imo

Not in any good way.
Every thing about book 10 is awful.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Rumda posted:

Not in any good way.
Every thing about book 10 is awful.

Agreed. That book is everyone sitting around thinking about doing stuff and never getting around to actually doing it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pash posted:

Agreed. That book is everyone sitting around thinking about doing stuff and never getting around to actually doing it.

The worst part was that was were o jumped on so I had the standard oh god I have to wait for the next book syndrome from jumping into an established but unfinished series as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

beathhail posted:

Well amazon just 'no longer available' d my oathbringer pre-order and offered it to me again with a 17th Nov release for £25 which I'm fairly certain is a few quid more than the old price.

Dig up the original email and raise some hell about it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Crossroads of Twilight is book 10, right?
The one where it can basically be summed up as "This is what almost literally ever minor character so far was doing during or immediately after the climax of book 9. Also you get to see each of the main characters for like 2 pages." ?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Crossroads of Twilight is book 10, right?
The one where it can basically be summed up as "This is what almost literally ever minor character so far was doing during or immediately after the climax of book 9. Also you get to see each of the main characters for like 2 pages." ?

That's the one. It's basically a novel-length prologue to book 11. It ends just when things start threatening to maybe actually happen soon.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Problematic Pigeon posted:

That's the one. It's basically a novel-length prologue to book 11. It ends just when things start threatening to maybe actually happen soon.

Ya, my memory of it was the book was supposed to be about people making big decisions, but all those decisions boiled down to getting off their asses for the next book.

Edit: Note that after reading book 10 book 11 looks really really good in comparison.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
I started reading the summaries on book 10, and it just burned me out.
Never read aMoL. Don't know the ending either.

Maybe I should reread them?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You should because the last books are actually good, I really liked A Memory of Light, especially the reveal after everything is done.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Just finished a reread of stormlight 1/2 and edgedander. Gotta say they hold up well on a retread and lots of trivial seeming things are pretty important. I really liked lift in edgedancer, I like how she struggles with growing up and caring and what it means. Shallan is much better in book two than in book one and I really want to see what happens with her moving forward.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If you can't wait for Oathbringer, Tor will once again post sample chapters. A whole lot of them:

https://twitter.com/PeterAhlstrom/status/893510460011577345

Only about two weeks to go, I approve!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Quote is not edit :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

If you can't wait for Oathbringer, Tor will once again post sample chapters. A whole lot of them:

https://twitter.com/PeterAhlstrom/status/893510460011577345

Only about two weeks to go, I approve!

The sample chapters are longer than some entire books. I approve.

Need all of Oathbringer right now. And book 4 of Wax and Wayne.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

The sample chapters are longer than some entire books. I approve.

Need all of Oathbringer right now. And book 4 of Wax and Wayne.

Best to get Nightblood (Warbreaker 2) as well!

mewse
May 2, 2006

I will be skipping the sample chapters in preference for the full book but it's pretty amazing they're going to release 33 chapters

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
What should I read next in the Cosmere?

I've read:
Mistborn Trilogy
The Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Elantris
The Emperor's Soul

I have the short story collection so should I just keep reading that or should I go somewhere else now?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Second mistborn set. Some of the short stories are set after the most recent book

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

insider posted:

I've read:
Mistborn Trilogy
The Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Elantris
The Emperor's Soul

I have the short story collection so should I just keep reading that or should I go somewhere else now?
I'd go with Wax and Wayne/Mistborn 4-6. Don't read 'Mistborn: Secret History' in the short story collection until you've finished those unless you want significant spoilers..

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

Best to get Nightblood (Warbreaker 2) as well!

That's like, not even in his moderate term plans though? I thought that was regulated to the early 2020s if we're lucky, maybe around the time Stormlight 4 would happen?

mewse
May 2, 2006

insider posted:

I've read:
Mistborn Trilogy
The Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Elantris
The Emperor's Soul

2nding wax & wayne mistborns then the cosmere collection. Edgedancer is surprisingly good considering how much people hated Lift.

Perfect State is good and it wasn't included in the cosmere collection.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Perfect State isn't a cosmere book, much like the Rithmatist and Reckoners series.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

insider posted:

I've read:
Mistborn Trilogy
The Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Elantris
The Emperor's Soul

Definitely read Warbreaker just so you can understand the reference at the end of Words of Radiance.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's like, not even in his moderate term plans though? I thought that was regulated to the early 2020s if we're lucky, maybe around the time Stormlight 4 would happen?

Yeah, it's a long way off according to the 2016 State of Sanderson. But I'm really curious how this continues, and why certain things end up on Roshar.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

MildShow posted:

Definitely read Warbreaker just so you can understand the reference at the end of Words of Radiance.

And Warbreaker is available for free on his website so there's no reason not to read it.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Starting August 22nd, Tor is gonna be releasing the first 32 chapters of Oathbringer in weekly installments on their website.

http://www.tor.com/2017/08/15/brandon-sanderson-oathbringer-serialization-announcement

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Theowulv posted:

Starting August 22nd, Tor is gonna be releasing the first 32 chapters of Oathbringer in weekly installments on their website.

http://www.tor.com/2017/08/15/brandon-sanderson-oathbringer-serialization-announcement

I guess I need to unbookmark this thread for 32 weeks. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't know about you but 32 weeks from now I'll have read Oathbringer a few weeks months earlier considering it's expected to come out in about 14 weeks. :shrug:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

3 chapters a week.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Impossible, 32 isn't divisible by 3. Checkmate. :smug:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cicero posted:

Impossible, 32 isn't divisible by 3. Checkmate. :smug:

Sanderson will have written and published another chapter before the time is up just to satisfy our OCD.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mewse posted:

I will be skipping the sample chapters in preference for the full book but it's pretty amazing they're going to release 33 chapters

I got the 2nd book in physical form and it's loving huge (think its pretty cool), this one is even longer based on the page count.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I got the 2nd book in physical form and it's loving huge (think its pretty cool), this one is even longer based on the page count.

I think the storm light bricks on my bookshelf actually deter my friends from starting to read Sanderson :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

eReaders for president