Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Al! posted:

seattle peaked in the 90s

It all hedged on the Battle of Seattle

We left everything out there on the field but the neoliberals just wanted it more:qq:

Edot: That Tina Fey, rich white ladies are always telling people to eat cake in the face of adversity! WTF Man!

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/twittermoments/status/898364444186734592

dehumanize yourself and face to

s h e e t
c a k e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEu1dFLwf3E

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

well the bad takes keep comin' and they dont stop comin'
fed to the rules and i hit the ground runnin'
didnt make sense not to live for fun
your brain gets lib and your head gets dumb

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

Why is the assumption that the nazi movement will dwindle if they are allowed to do whatever they want with no opposition and have peaceful fun rallies where they all get together and do their happy little tiki-torch marches without anyone punching them and listen to inspiring speeches about protecting the future of white children or whatever and make plans to do it again next month because it was such a wonderful weekend

Don't read the comments and don't feed the trolls (don't feed the trolls)

(It's because people are still coming around to the idea that these aren't just a few loudmouthed malcontents who are best ignored. The above mentality writ large, basically.

Of course, not feeding the trolls has never actually worked...)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Darkman Fanpage posted:

well the bad takes keep comin' and they dont stop comin'
fed to the rules and i hit the ground runnin'
didnt make sense not to live for fun
your brain gets lib and your head gets dumb

So much to do
So much to see
So what's wrong with carefully avoiding majority-minority neighborhoods?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I started out as a 30 Rock fan only to have the slow dawning terror that it's reifying the military-industrial-media complex in the minds of liberals as a big goof, and that General Electric are just regular folks who know how to take a joke, haha :stare:

e: https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/898513145609814018

i always knew he was a piece of poo poo but this is low

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I thought Seattle was cool, how did this loser get elected?

seattle is cool as long as it doesnt raise taxes on the rich. they spend millions to kill any bill that might cost them a few grand. money-grubbing liberal as fuk

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
i'm willing to propose a compromise option: bring cake to counterprotesters.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

its not that cool. my dad's old boss who would give ayn rand books as christmas presents to employees lives there.

It still is Washington state after all

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

docbeard posted:

(It's because people are still coming around to the idea that these aren't just a few loudmouthed malcontents who are best ignored. The above mentality writ large, basically.

Of course, not feeding the trolls has never actually worked...)

as if yall could ever stop feeding us 😈

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Hodgepodge posted:

i'm willing to propose a compromise option: bring cake to counterprotesters.

Punching Nazis is hungry work after all.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/twittermoments/status/898364444186734592

dehumanize yourself and face to

s h e e t
c a k e

tina fey retire already bitch. unbreakable sucks rear end

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Frijolero posted:

You can't discount that there's a hint of irony in the skit. But taken as a whole, it's really sad and shameful.

Yeah my problem is less with Fey or the skit itself and more with the people reacting to it as "the sanest response of all" or "a grassroots movement", like it will accomplish anything or is worthy of particular praise

It's a coping mechanism for bewildered middle-aged white people and should be treated as such

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Kimmy Schmidt is good as a joke-delivery mechanism and bad as a TV show

the jokes are good, the plots are bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

loquacius posted:

Kimmy Schmidt is good as a joke-delivery mechanism and bad as a TV show

the jokes are good, the plots are bad

my friend....the show is not good or funny

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

loquacius posted:

Why is the assumption that the nazi movement will dwindle if they are allowed to do whatever they want with no opposition and have peaceful fun rallies where they all get together and do their happy little tiki-torch marches without anyone punching them and listen to inspiring speeches about protecting the future of white children or whatever and make plans to do it again next month because it was such a wonderful weekend

how is that a better idea than forcing them underground because they fear for their own safety

someone explain to me how this cake thing is actually a good strategic move rather than a coping mechanism for bewildered middle-aged white people

the assumption is that racism is essentially dead and the Nazis are just a pathetically tiny group of inferiors and idiots futilely flailing against our society's unstoppable and irresistible march toward progress, and that the Nazis are powerless people who wouldn't ever dare do anything more drastic than trade white supremacist stories and slogans over lunch. additionally, they believe there is near-universal agreement in American society that racism is bad, so they're not worried about the Nazis gathering followers because they're convinced that their speeches will fail in the ~marketplace of ideas~ because nearly all Americans will see the white supremacist rhetoric and immediately reject it

of course, that doesn't exactly hold up given the events of the last few months, but there's plenty of liberals defiantly ignoring all evidence to the contrary and continuing to insist that the white supremacists are a disgusting but ultimately harmless group who will never do anything more than spout vile rhetoric that all listeners will instantly reject and dismiss because racism is bad and Americans are good

in that delusional world they live in, there's absolutely no point in opposing Nazism because the Nazis are so completely helpless and powerless that they'd just fade into effective nothingness if everyone ignored them. also, violence might damage property and might eventually be turned against the ruling classes, both major no-nos in liberal thought!

people are just in denial about the fact that racism is still around and was never really dead like the liberal world pretended

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I feel like I'm ok agreeing to disagree on the exact degree to which Kimmy Schmidt is or is not a bad TV show

this hill will remain un-died-upon

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

tbh this just highlights that a lot of "comedy" shows that are left-of-center aren't that far from the left-wing equivalent of talk radio. Since when is "... EMAILS" a "joke" of higher caliber than you'd find in a C-SPAM thread?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Grassroots more like bowel movement

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The show sucks but Titus makes it watchable because he gets the best jokes.

When he was on 30 Rock, the scenes with Jack were unreal.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

galenanorth posted:

tbh this just highlights that a lot of "comedy" shows that are left-of-center aren't that far from the left-wing equivalent of talk radio. Since when is "... EMAILS" a "joke" of higher caliber than you'd find in a C-SPAM thread?

emails is a d&d tier joke, cspam is better than that

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

seattle peaked in the 90s

NBA finals Kemp/Payton vs Jordan/Pippen was awesome

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Weeping Wound posted:

also sheesh Tina Fey, if you kept up on the news, you'd know you could have your cake and protest too :rolleyes:

im okay with tina eating cake and can understand why the skit was going the way it was, but the execution was just really ill timed especially when Americans are actually on edge because idk, maybe we have a loving nazi sympathizer in the highest office in land lmao

im not okay with her telling people to not do anything when there's a domestic terrorism problem that people need to yell at a bunch of clowns to quash the demagoguery that got them all loving incited in the worst places~

Tina, you tried, bless yer heart but :yikes:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i cant believe we're gonna get street to street fighting between hoodie ninjas and clowns vs prep school boys w cosplay shields and polearms

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
30 rock and unbreakable are good and while im a teeny tiny bit disappointed in tina it doesnt come anywhere close to the way i feel about morrissey, whose music i still love

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Squizzle posted:

i cant believe we're gonna get street to street fighting between hoodie ninjas and clowns vs prep school boys w cosplay shields and polearms

where do the sailor moon cosplayers stand in this battle?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

general-comrade, a detachment of nofaps have broken thru our western flank and are attempting to use gorilla ball sorcery to mesmerise the juggalettes

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Lastgirl posted:

free matey
With a side of fries

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

where do the sailor moon cosplayers stand in this battle?

fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight—they are the ones named antifa

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Squizzle posted:

general-comrade, a detachment of nofaps have broken thru our western flank and are attempting to use gorilla ball sorcery to mesmerise the juggalettes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDNzQ3CXspU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Squizzle posted:

fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight—they are the ones named antifa

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Squizzle posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Squizzle posted:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Squizzle posted:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Squizzle posted:

This is why you're IK

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

:allears:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Squizzle posted:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

simmer down there bud

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

simmer down there bud

never

Adbot