Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Meanwhile Brian Zane has done a quick video about personal hero Zack Gowen, covering his one-legged entry, rise and fall in WWE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YphQH6jhvtE

This guy was one of the reasons I got back into wrestling. I didn't know about his locker room problems or his story after leaving (and it's a shame Brian doesn't go to deep into that story - but I suppose details are a little scarce).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KayTee posted:

Meanwhile Brian Zane has done a quick video about personal hero Zack Gowen, covering his one-legged entry, rise and fall in WWE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YphQH6jhvtE

This guy was one of the reasons I got back into wrestling. I didn't know about his locker room problems or his story after leaving (and it's a shame Brian doesn't go to deep into that story - but I suppose details are a little scarce).

As someone who has been getting back into prowrestling the last few days, I appreciate the link to this channel. The video itself was quite interesting and I'll be checking out more of his stuff.

I never get enough of shoot interviews or "real life" analyses like this. Although I fear that all the peeks behind the curtain and, hell, the curtain being utterly wrecked, is going to really hinder my ability to find the magic in wrestling I used to when I was younger.

Also on a personal level, I am intrigued by the offhanded comment there are legally blind pro-wrestlers. I knew of blind amateurs but none in the pro business.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
This didn't link to anything, but I believe I found the tweet it was referring to:

Archive link: https://archive.fo/h6udB

It looks as if she deleted the tweet.

TotalBiscuit tweeted this not too long after, so I wonder if there some sort of miscommunication.
https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/898208532453109760
https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/898209281996189696

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 17, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Max Wilco posted:

This didn't link to anything, but I believe I found the tweet it was referring to:

Archive link: https://archive.fo/h6udB

It looks as if she deleted the tweet.

TotalBiscuit tweeted this not too long after, so I wonder if there some sort of miscommunication.
https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/898208532453109760
https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/898209281996189696

lol he so desperately is trying to be The Good Guy

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

If we're lucky he'll say things like alt left and further dive into the manosphere of fascism. But don't worry he's got your economic rights in mind.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I still don't really get why anyone would think her writing that justifies any kind of harassment, let alone the kind she went through. Especially from people who should know better.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
FemFreq do like a good "chuck our followers at you" harassment.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

sexpig by night posted:

he's right

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kay Kessler posted:

I still don't really get why anyone would think her writing that justifies any kind of harassment, let alone the kind she went through. Especially from people who should know better.

There's a subgroup of people who are just itching for someone to unload on and waiting for a target. They don't really care about whether it's actually deserved, as long as someone gives them the excuse. It's basically stress relief for assholes.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Annointed posted:

If we're lucky he'll say things like alt left and further dive into the manosphere of fascism. But don't worry he's got your economic rights in mind.

What should he do, then?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

What should he do, then?

Apologize for this incident and publicly denounce GG with no fudging of the detail? He should also admit that he caused some of the harassment. These ones seem like good moves.

EDIT: Apologize, a real sincere apology to the main targets of the harassment.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 18, 2017

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
Femfreq caused, led and directed the harassment

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Max Wilco posted:

What should he do, then?

not have a tantrum about basic facts being said about him? Stop posting? Spend time with his family instead of screaming online? Fly a kite? Eat a cake? Go outside? Buy a dog?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NikkolasKing posted:

Also on a personal level, I am intrigued by the offhanded comment there are legally blind pro-wrestlers. I knew of blind amateurs but none in the pro business.

Stan Hansen is probably the most well known legally blind guy. Basically he can barely see anything without glasses and can't go out wearing contact lenses so essentially to have a good match he'd have a general assumption of where someone was and hit them as hard as possible. And of course he's become a legend of the Japanese scene.

Infamously he did legit knock out the eyeball of Leon White aka Big Van Vader and the scene is pretty disgusting. They're still friends but jeez their friendship was strained when that happened.

edit: There's also Crazzy Steve of TNA fame who is blind in one eye. Even more impressive is that he's a high flyer so the fine line between safety and danger gets even more blurred. He's never hurt anyone and is pretty safe so he's a hell of a lot better than some able-bodied wrestlers like Low Ki or Davey Richards who are physically amazing but share half a brain between the two of them.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 18, 2017

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWL7vZcEX14

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

not have a tantrum about basic facts being said about him? Stop posting? Spend time with his family instead of screaming online? Fly a kite? Eat a cake? Go outside? Buy a dog?

Okay, then.

Moving on to something else, I wanted to cross-post this from another thread. It looks like LGR has run into an issue with his videos on YouTube:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Figured people here would appreciate (not in the good way) knowing that LGR just had a bunch of his videos on YouTube removed from their ad system, because they were marked as "not suitable".

That's, y'know, super great for probably one of the best Youtubers out there, who's videos are (at least language-wise) fairly family-friendly.

This sucks for him, dude does great work. He's the main reason I stopped using Adblock. :smith:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Max Wilco posted:

Okay, then.

Moving on to something else, I wanted to cross-post this from another thread. It looks like LGR has run into an issue with his videos on YouTube:

Not just him. Allison and Linkara both got hit with the same BS.

Honestly, this seems like Google's justification to not have to pay out ad revenue.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkeUNvlD4gQ

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ralph gets mad at how lazy and bad The Bye Bye Man is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lpKTmjcGq4&t=1320s

E: vvv argh, loving typos

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 18, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mr.Radar posted:

Ralp gets mad at how lazy and bad The Bye Bye Man is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lpKTmjcGq4&t=1320s

Liar, this child was never a BYOB mod

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Was that the one who molested children?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
No, Ralp's the guy who broke the forums for nearly a year with his lovely coding. Or was that Radium? I dunno.

Fix the loving forums Lowtax, you lazy poo poo.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

nine-gear crow posted:

No, Ralp's the guy who broke the forums for nearly a year with his lovely coding. Or was that Radium? I dunno.

Fix the loving forums Lowtax, you lazy poo poo.

As far as I know that was Radium, I think Ralp was just an unpopular admin.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

Not just him. Allison and Linkara both got hit with the same BS.

Honestly, this seems like Google's justification to not have to pay out ad revenue.

Everyone did, to some degree or another. A huge chunk of my live streams are now "Not suitable for all advertisers" but that's not worth caring about. As far as the second part, they still need to pay out, and any ad revenue a video may have made prior to the change would still be there. It's not some Maker thing where they'll just decide to hold on to those four thousand dollars because your contract changed mid-dispute, it's more that looking at the day-by-day revenue would suddenly show a precipitous drop.

Unfortunately I won't get a chance to dig into this any deeper until Saturday, so I don't really have any advice for people who've been more broadly impacted.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnur5Znb2U

Todd's out with a new a Pop Song Review.
I like when he pits two songs against eachother.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MundaneFatt

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Moatman posted:

As far as I know that was Radium, I think Ralp was just an unpopular admin.

Yes that was radium.

Ralp was an admin for a while, he basically ran the forums while lowtax was away. then called out some of lowtax's poo poo and got himself banned.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ralp was good people.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
The Guardian has an article up about CinemaSins and other "Everything Wrong With..." videos.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lol this idea that cinema sins constitutes any kind of actual threat to criticism continues to be hilarious.

Maybe they are a serious competitor for your average internet critic, I guess, since both are shallow, make no demands on the intellect or attention span, and chiefly set out to be entertaining. Internet critics try to be proper critics sometimes, which limits their appeal to bored Internet users who are just looking for a laugh, so maybe that's why they're so threatened by the idea of someone putting in even less effort than they do.

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 18, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Cinema Sins is a lazy pile of dung but no one who is actually interested in film making or criticism watches it in earnest.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sarcopenia posted:

Cinema Sins is a lazy pile of dung but no one who is actually interested in film making or criticism watches it in earnest.

Yep

All these thinkpieces and video takedowns are like putting on a suit of armor to do battle with a patch of dogshit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sarcopenia posted:

But :supaburn: 1.5 million people watched it :supaburn:

loving lmao

E: VVV You should ignore those people, for they are idiots of the highest order.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 18, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you know there are a lot of people who will legitimately use conemasins as an argument for why something is bad, right?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

WampaLord posted:

But :supaburn: 1.5 million people watched it :supaburn:

loving lmao

"The normies just want to listen to lady Googoo and Kanye East or what ever they're called instead of listening to superior musicians such as Queen and Led Zeppelin."

People like to have fun and for a lot of people having fun means not having to think about things too much.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sarcopenia posted:

"The normies just want to listen to lady Googoo and Kanye East or what ever they're called instead of listening to superior musicians such as Queen and Led Zeppelin."

People like to have fun and for a lot of people having fun means not having to think about things too much.

My point was more that 1.5 million views is actually extremely small (also consider that many idiots rewatch the drat thing over and over again) and 99% of the people who read the Guardian are going "What in the gently caress is CinemaSins?"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Oh man, here we go again

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Augus posted:

you know there are a lot of people who will legitimately use conemasins as an argument for why something is bad, right?

Yes and they're people who want to feel smart about movies without putting any effort into actually be knowledgeable about movies. They aren't created by CS.

WampaLord posted:

My point was more that 1.5 million views is actually extremely small (also consider that many idiots rewatch the drat thing over and over again) and 99% of the people who read the Guardian are going "What in the gently caress is CinemaSins?"

It wasn't aimed at you or anyone in this thread friend. <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Oh man, here we go again

Now do the opposite one!

• Locked thread