Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ravenfood posted:

Also, food and warpstone are distinct resources and main buildings unlock unit recruitment as well.

As I understand it, warpstone is the Skaven version of the 'ritual currency' that each of the four factions has for the vortex campaign. It has direct equivalents for the other races, while Food is a Skaven-unique mechanic in this implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
i think warhams 2 is shaping up to be a really good game. if anyone here knows someone who works for ca, tell 'em they get a thumbs up from me!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Krazyface posted:

Also noticed a single garrison unit attached to a recruitment building, so we might be going back to distributed garrisons instead of just one mega building.

There was a wall chain, but it was buildable in main settlements only. Might just be a Skaven thing though.

It's hard to say what's an overall new mechanic vs a Skaven thing without seeing at least one other race building tree, but heroes in garrisons has to be a game-wide improvement.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So, what traits have you guys found for beating LL's as Norsca? I got Troll slayer for Wulfric by defeating Throg (+15 bonus against large and +3% weapon strength), Moonslaker for Throg by defeating Mannfred (50% resistance to vampire corruption for all forces) and Ghorst or Ghost? for Surtha Ek by defeating Ghorst (grants poison attacks).

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Kinda disappointed that nothing happens after you stomp Archaon's pimply face as Norsca.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Stephen9001 posted:

So, what traits have you guys found for beating LL's as Norsca? I got Troll slayer for Wulfric by defeating Throg (+15 bonus against large and +3% weapon strength), Moonslaker for Throg by defeating Mannfred (50% resistance to vampire corruption for all forces) and Ghorst or Ghost? for Surtha Ek by defeating Ghorst (grants poison attacks).

Kingslayer for killing Louen (this was funny because I got it on two lords in the span of like four turns) and I got Slayer King Slayer and there's no prize for guessing who that is for. I also got the Ghorst one on Surtha Ek! Dude likes covering his chariot in poison I guess.

Ragingsheep posted:

Kinda disappointed that nothing happens after you stomp Archaon's pimply face as Norsca.

It kinda bummed me out a bit but then the upkeep reduction kicked in and OH BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Plavski posted:

i think warhams 2 is shaping up to be a really good game. if anyone here knows someone who works for ca, tell 'em they get a thumbs up from me!

im gonna tell them you said it sucks

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Orv posted:

Goddamnit I was going to make that joke.

Yeah, as much as I loved FotS, MP with artillery could be hellish, so I'm fine not necessarily going back to that.

Even if dwarfs were buffed, the game engine is unsuited to make them good. Ranged units won't fire unless they're issued a royal invitation, they take forever to change direction then fire and artillery doesn't bounce like it did in Rome 2 and Attila.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

StashAugustine posted:

It's funny, I don't know how dorfs are in WH tabletop but I played the WH Diskwars FFG put out and they have the exact same problem- lack of mobility and a defensive strategy is just a really good way to lose the initiative and get slaughtered

In TT dwarfs actually weren't as slow as their stats would imply. They had the lowest base move value, but there were three types of moves in the game: a regular tactical move with the base value, then charging or fleeing which was random but could be three times that or more, and then marching, which was basically doubletime in TW and was in-between.

Unlike in TW, though, you couldn't doubletime everywhere 24/7. You had to be a certain distance from the enemy- sort of representing how some empire swordsmen marching over a field or down a road at a good pace but, much like any real army in a battle formation, will slow the gently caress down moving in their shieldwall formation. Dwarfs were the only race that could march straight up to the enemy and basically never had to move their base rate, so their charges/retreats were below average but dwarfs basically had a combat move of 6 where humanoids had 4 and elves and skaven 5. It represented the classic dwarf stereotype of being extremely tireless and resilient as well as confident in their fellow dwarfs (IIRC in warhammer dwarf units are usually all from one extended family), so they'll happily jog around in shieldwall and full armor all day where the other races, who can under normal circumstances outpace them, get tired and can't move in perfect unison so well and thus have to slow down in combat.

Also, PartyElite's Queek campaign video features a generic high elf general named "Guderian". Sieg hielf.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 18, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In TT dwarfs actually weren't as slow as their stats would imply. They had the lowest base move value, but there were three types of moves in the game: a regular tactical move with the base value, then charging or fleeing which was random but could be three times that or more, and then marching, which was basically doubletime in TW and was in-between.

Unlike in TW, though, you couldn't doubletime everywhere 24/7. You had to be a certain distance from the enemy- sort of representing how some empire swordsmen marching over a field or down a road at a good pace but, much like any real army in a battle formation, will slow the gently caress down moving in their shieldwall formation. Dwarfs were the only race that could march straight up to the enemy and basically never had to move their base rate, so their charges/retreats were below average but dwarfs basically had a combat move of 6 where humanoids had 4 and elves and skaven 5. It represented the classic dwarf stereotype of being extremely tireless and resilient as well as confident in their fellow dwarfs (IIRC in warhammer dwarf units are usually all from one extended family), so they'll happily jog around in shieldwall and full armor all day where the other races, who can under normal circumstances outpace them, get tired and can't move in perfect unison so well and thus have to slow down in combat.

So what you are saying is that Dwarfs should accrue fatigue at a slower pace than other races. I think that would be a good one for their style.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ZearothK posted:

So what you are saying is that Dwarfs should accrue fatigue at a slower pace than other races. I think that would be a good one for their style.

Dwarf Lords can already take large fatigue resistance traits in their lord's red line abilities. They could probably stand to have at least a bit of fatigue resistance baseline though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Grumbling Guard also have the insanely good fatigue resistance aura.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Babe Magnet posted:

im gonna tell them you said it sucks

oh you git

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The argument earlier that 'someone has to be the worst' is pretty reasonable to me. The thing about the dwarves is that in multiplayer they are the easiest faction to learn to play. But correspondingly there isn't a lot of room for them to be used skilfully by an advanced player, given how they don't have a lot of micro potential. Thus it makes sense for them to be the race that is powerful for newbies but underpowered for advanced players who can do micro that gets more out of other factions. Balancing them to be competitive in high level play would just make players who learn micro feel cheated, and make them grossly overpowered for players in the mid and lower tiers.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I suck at multi, and have lost many a game to my even-suckier friend who can only win when he corner camps with ironbreakers, quarrellers, and artillery. Even when I anticipated his "strategy" by attempting to outgun him as Greenskins, I lost. As Empire that poo poo didn't fly though.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
While I don't think dwarfs should have quite so many problems in MP as they do, its a far better position for the game to be in than them being able to corner or edge camp and obliterate everyone.

When I played TT there was one guy that did that and one guy who cleverly used miners and rangers to outflank and pin down attacking units before charging in with warriors/ironbreakers/slayers/longbeards. No one wanted to play the first guy and dreaded facing him in tournaments, everyone was happy to play the second guy and I had some really enjoyable games with him.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

DeathSandwich posted:

Dwarf Lords can already take large fatigue resistance traits in their lord's red line abilities. They could probably stand to have at least a bit of fatigue resistance baseline though.

Fatigue is too important for combat to give them buffs to that - more to the point, the method of killing armored/hella-skilled units is usually exhausting them so their stats go to poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carcer posted:

While I don't think dwarfs should have quite so many problems in MP as they do, its a far better position for the game to be in than them being able to corner or edge camp and obliterate everyone.

When I played TT there was one guy that did that and one guy who cleverly used miners and rangers to outflank and pin down attacking units before charging in with warriors/ironbreakers/slayers/longbeards. No one wanted to play the first guy and dreaded facing him in tournaments, everyone was happy to play the second guy and I had some really enjoyable games with him.

Yeah the issue with TWW dwarfs is that you can't effectively do the latter, as most of their TT strengths that got ported over are "big guns" and "armor". Miners, rangers, the Relentless rule, Strollaz rune, etc are either non-existent or have vastly less potential. Well-deployed rangers are never going to be a gamechanger in TW mechanics outside of maybe very niche scenarios.

Their lack of large units and cav also hits them harder in TW since mobility is comparatively more useful since there's (effectively) no equivalent to a turn limit. A cav unit against dwarfs in tabletop can redploy from one flank to another maybe once or twice, in a TW battle they can ride back and forth a shitload more and effectively control the battle. and in tabletop a cav charge against a resilient target wouldn't knock them out of formation and render a bunch of dudes useless.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 18, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Skaven roster reveal livestream is on now.

https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/videos/1584219591653235/

Comments section is magical :allears:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
apparently the death runners summoned by dread 13 are equivalent to a unit of the assassin hero and halve targets armor on attack and can teleport

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Here's the roster, for anyone who missed it (like me)

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/skaven-army-roster/

No Ratlings or Jezzails

President Ark
May 16, 2010

yeah ten bux says jezzails and ratling guns are in either with thanquol or ikit claw dlc

If thanquol is flc released with combined campaign like some are speculating then they'll be with ikit

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

peer posted:

No Ratlings or Jezzails

Honestly, given the incredible work they put into the Hellpit Abomination and the Doomwheel, I think they use their resources wisely. HPAs are going to be way more fun to kill than ratling gunners

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can't find anything about Death Globe Bombardiers, what are those?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

E- ^^^ apparently they lose some effectiveness vs large in return for more aoe

Also missing - poison wind mortar, some other weapon team whise name i dont remember, stormfiend, vermin lord, giant rats, rat swarms

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Kaza42 posted:

Honestly, given the incredible work they put into the Hellpit Abomination and the Doomwheel, I think they use their resources wisely. HPAs are going to be way more fun to kill than ratling gunners

Yeah, I don't mind. And we do get rat ogre mounts for lords :toot:

edit: though yeah leaving out verminlords does seem odd

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mordja posted:

Gasmask rats that throw glass grenades full of poison gas.

Wonder if they'll blow themselves up like in Vermintide.

Edit: Intro video makes it sound like the Daemon the Skaven are trying to summon would be a Verminlord, maybe DLC/unlockable like the Lord of Change?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Id say there's also a decent amount of meat there for a clan moulder/throt the unclean dlc although that would probably in game 3 since that's where hell pit is

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

peer posted:

No Ratlings or Jezzails

Yeah. Dang. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to play some Fall of the Samurai right before TWW2 comes out to get my black powder fix.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Carcer posted:

Seriously, how do they gently caress that up when they got morghur's ability right.

Its obviously an intentional design decision then, not sure why though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mordja posted:

Death globes were a Clan Skyre only weapon upgrade for Poisoned-Wind Globadiers. So presumably it's just the higher tier weapon variant.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I just completed the beast hunt for the giant whose special ability was big green farts :thumbsup:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also looks like we have generic Grey Seer Lords so not really moving away from generic caster lords.

Interestingly, they can use Plague or Ruin. They are, in fact, the only way to get Ruin right now which is an interesting choice.

Warlords also get Rogre mounts.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Zore posted:

Also looks like we have generic Grey Seer Lords so not really moving away from generic caster lords.

Interestingly, they can use Plague or Ruin. They are, in fact, the only way to get Ruin right now which is an interesting choice.

See that's weird because in TT/lore warlock engineers get the lore of Ruin. In the Skrolk quest battle, the warlock engineer also had access to Ruin spells

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Zore posted:

Warlock engineers get ruin

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
That screenshot of all the delves unit cards have me hype for the edge lord dork army.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I'm not surprised Grey Seers are in as a generic lord, their whole thing in TT is being able to cast from both Lores and having the 13th Spell on Top. Also the screaming bell. You can't make them a hero choice without invalidating the other two casters.

Basically out of the 4 new races, CA kept the Generic Caster Lords that work and look different than the caster heroes (Slaan Mage Priest, Grey Seer) and ditched the two that are exactly like the hero version but slightly better. Mage-Archmage, ect.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

President Ark posted:

Warlock engineers get ruin

I was going by the roster which calls them a melee hero and doesn't list any lores associated with them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

madmac posted:

I'm not surprised Grey Seers are in as a generic lord, their whole thing in TT is being able to cast from both Lores and having the 13th Spell on Top. Also the screaming bell. You can't make them a hero choice without invalidating the other two casters.

Grey Seers and Slann are also definitely the more iconic/mainstream lord for Skaven and Lizards, compared to the other races where Generals, Dwarf Lords, Vamps, Tomb Kings, etc etc are pretty much all combat or hybrid for their iconic lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i wish skrolk got a plague furnace mount or something. it sucks when none of the legendary lords get a mount

• Locked thread