Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure it counts as private or personal once you write a book about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"The Aristocrats!"

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not sure it counts as private or personal once you write a book about it.

That's my point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wouldn't worry too much about Hillary's supporters, outside the Democrat establishment anyway, as you've had a pretty public referendum revealing there really aren't nearly as many of them as anyone thought. To be honest, you could probably win more votes by trashing her, especially since she's got most of the same problems as Obama with none of the upsides.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about Hillary's supporters, outside the Democrat establishment anyway, as you've had a pretty public referendum revealing there really aren't nearly as many of them as anyone thought. To be honest, you could probably win more votes by trashing her, especially since she's got most of the same problems as Obama with none of the upsides.

By that logic, Democrats could trash Sanders because he lost to Clinton in the primaries.

I'm not actually suggesting that anyone should trash Sanders with this argument.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Democrazy posted:

By that logic, Democrats could trash Sanders because he lost to Clinton in the primaries.

I'm not actually suggesting that anyone should trash Sanders with this argument.

not really, cause the primaries were rigged. it's unfortunate that the DNC put their thumb on the scale for hillary

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

not really, cause the primaries were rigged. it's unfortunate that the DNC put their thumb on the scale for hillary

"Rigged" is a word with more unfortunate implications. Let's just say that Hillary had every structural advantage in the world as well as a huge amount of name recognition.

The way the media reported delegate counts was lovely as hell, too, where they lumped in her superdelegates to make it look like she had a commanding lead right from the start.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has there been any serious talk in the DNC about getting rid of super delegates? It's a small thing but IMO it would go a long way towards rebuilding faith in the party on the left.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Has there been any serious talk in the DNC about getting rid of super delegates? It's a small thing but IMO it would go a long way towards rebuilding faith in the party on the left.

lmao

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

More primary voters voted for Hillary Clinton than Bernie Sanders. She had more pledged delegates by any measure.

That's a defeat. I don't know how else to characterize it. If you can't accept that, then you're consigning yourself to a different reality.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

More primary voters voted for Hillary Clinton than Bernie Sanders. She had more pledged delegates by any measure.

That's a defeat. I don't know how else to characterize it. If you can't accept that, then you're consigning yourself to a different reality.

No one is claiming otherwise. We're pointing out that Hillary had massive massive advantages that made it not exactly a fair contest.

Like, you know, superdelegates.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

WampaLord posted:

No one is claiming otherwise. We're pointing out that Hillary had massive massive advantages that made it not exactly a fair contest.

Like, you know, superdelegates.

More people voted for her. If superdelegates never existed, she still would have won.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

More people voted for her. If superdelegates never existed, she still would have won.

I realize this. Do you want to admit that news constantly showing an inflated delegate count for Hillary maybe made people think she was winning by a landslide even extremely early on and do you think that may have influenced how some primary voters voted?

I mean, she was always going to win, her last name is Clinton, and no one know who Bernie was before he ran. I'm just trying to explain how the primary was stacked in her favor.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Democrazy posted:

That is a completely unprovable hypothetical. It's obvious that seeing Hillary Clinton with a massive lead on the news every night because of super delegates probably had a negative effect on Sanders' campaign. I mean, for gently caress sake, she was declared the winner before the primaries were over based on super delegates.

Even setting aside all the other assistance she got, the super delegates alone mean that Clinton did not win an even fight fair and square.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WampaLord posted:

I realize this. Do you want to admit that news constantly showing an inflated delegate count for Hillary maybe made people think she was winning by a landslide even extremely early on and do you think that may have influenced how some primary voters voted?

I mean, she was always going to win, her last name is Clinton, and no one know who Bernie was before he ran. I'm just trying to explain how the primary was stacked in her favor.

Yeah. Exactly. While it's all speculation, it was insanely hosed up that CNN and the rmajor news outlets showed her having all of the SDs before they even loving voted at the convention. This kind of poo poo has an effect on both sides.

jklfdsa
Oct 30, 2006
blah
Hey guys, remember how Hillary had way more superdelegates on her side at the beginning of 2008 and then she won the primary because of that, and it was totally rigged for her?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
poo poo, even Tina Fey is wiffing this?

I never expected her to bat for antifa and DSA, but I expected her to at least know better than to go "Come onnn guys, let the nazis have our streets now and then, what's it to ya?"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

jklfdsa posted:

Hey guys, remember how Hillary had way more superdelegates on her side at the beginning of 2008 and then she won the primary because of that, and it was totally rigged for her?

Want to play this game? How about the hissyfit they threw when Bernie wouldn't drop out when she did the same poo poo in 2008 and alluded to Barry getting assassinated?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

WampaLord posted:

It may have had some effect, but did it affect 4 million votes? This was not a particularly lose contest in popular vote, either.

This is not a commentary on Sanders' ideas or platform, this is just a statement of reality.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

It may have had some effect

Okay, great, thanks for agreeing.

I already said that Clinton was always going to win, even if it were a "fair" contest she had huge name recognition and ties to the Democratic institutions for her entire life.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Democrazy posted:

It may have had some effect, but did it affect 4 million votes? This was not a particularly lose contest in popular vote, either.

This is not a commentary on Sanders' ideas or platform, this is just a statement of reality.

of course it had some effect. one that's been observed and named for a long rear end time. it's called the bandwagon effect

quote:

About 70% of subjects received information about the expected winner. Independents, which are those who do not vote based on the endorsement of any party and are ultimately neutral, were influenced strongly in favor of the person expected to win. Expectations played a significant role throughout the study. It was found that independents are twice as likely to vote for the Republican candidate when the Republican is expected to win. From the results, it was also found that when the Democrat was expected to win, independent Republicans and weak Republicans were more likely to vote for the Democratic candidate.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 18, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

jklfdsa posted:

Remember when she threw a hissy fit and can still claim she "won the popular vote" in 08 because she was the only candidate running in the supposed-to-be-cancelled Michigan primary

jklfdsa
Oct 30, 2006
blah

Matt Zerella posted:

Want to play this game? How about the hissyfit they threw when Bernie wouldn't drop out when she did the same poo poo in 2008 and alluded to Barry getting assassinated?

But like, she did end up dropping out, though, unlike Bernie? Obama won more pledged delegates than her, thus prompting the superdelegates to defect from her. This started happening pretty early in the primary, yes, and these things do feed into each other (people seeing superdelegates fleeing Clinton probably helped Obama), but the idea that the same thing somehow wouldn't have happened in 2016 if Hillary was clearly losing is kind of absurd. The superdelegates (who should absolutely be abolished!) would have defected from Hillary if she were clearly losing.

jklfdsa
Oct 30, 2006
blah

Agnosticnixie posted:

Remember when she threw a hissy fit and can still claim she "won the popular vote" in 08 because she was the only candidate running in the supposed-to-be-cancelled Michigan primary

Yes, and I also remember her also dropping out after she got fewer pledged delegates than Obama.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

jklfdsa posted:

Yes, and I also remember her also dropping out after she got fewer pledged delegates than Obama.

Conceding after demanding to run all 50 states to the knife isn't "dropping out"

He also didn't dogwhistle about the possibility that she might be assassinated as an excuse to keep running.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Okay, great, thanks for agreeing.

I already said that Clinton was always going to win, even if it were a "fair" contest she had huge name recognition and ties to the Democratic institutions for her entire life.

Unless you can prove that Sanders was cheated out of 4 million votes, it simply doesn't matter. Sanders wasn't cheated out of anything.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

Unless you can prove that Sanders was cheated out of 4 million votes, it simply doesn't matter. Sanders wasn't cheated out of anything.

Obviously that's impossible to prove.

He wasn't "cheated" but it also wasn't fair. Can you get your mind around that concept?

Maybe we should do stuff to make the next primary more fair, like get rid of the loving superdelegates. I think wanting the primary to be open and fair to all is something all Dems should be able to agree on.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

jklfdsa posted:

But like, she did end up dropping out, though, unlike Bernie? Obama won more pledged delegates than her, thus prompting the superdelegates to defect from her. This started happening pretty early in the primary, yes, and these things do feed into each other (people seeing superdelegates fleeing Clinton probably helped Obama), but the idea that the same thing somehow wouldn't have happened in 2016 if Hillary was clearly losing is kind of absurd. The superdelegates (who should absolutely be abolished!) would have defected from Hillary if she were clearly losing.

IF they're going to keep superdelegates, the compromise is that their vote says confidential until the convention. I want them gone altogether but if they refuse to change, that's something I'd grudgingly accept.

jklfdsa
Oct 30, 2006
blah

Agnosticnixie posted:

Conceding after demanding to run all 50 states to the knife isn't "dropping out"

He also didn't dogwhistle about the possibility that she might be assassinated as an excuse to keep running.

Yeah, she was a sore loser in 2008. So? 2016 was rigged because she was a sore loser in 2008?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, I don't think Democrats realise 'We didn't cheat, the rules are just massively biased in our favour' doesn't actually make them sound any better, especially when the Republican primaries were actually fair and democratic to what turned out to be a horrifying extent.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Democrazy posted:

*cough* ny dem primary rules

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's also worth keeping in mind that alot of people don't vote in the primaries or, in some states like mine, the primary is only open to registered party members. Hillary won the Florida primary pretty decisively but (from memory, exact percentage may be wrong) only 25% of the democrats that showed up for the general voted in the primaries and Hillary ended up losing the state.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 18, 2017

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah, I don't think Democrats realise 'We didn't cheat, the rules are just massively biased in our favour' doesn't actually make them sound any better, especially when the Republican primaries were actually fair and democratic to what turned out to be a horrifying extent.

The rules were not massively biased in her favor. Superdelegates were, unless someone else can prove otherwise, immaterial to the outcome of the race.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Inescapable Duck posted:

actually, what they did was against their own rules. their argument is that their rules are more like campaign promises, ideals that they'll never stick to!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Democrazy posted:

The rules were not massively biased in her favor. Superdelegates were, unless someone else can prove otherwise, immaterial to the outcome of the race.

Are you loving serious dude? No one can prove that unless they can visit an alternate timeline where there were no Super delegates

jklfdsa
Oct 30, 2006
blah

Inescapable Duck posted:

What, specifically, are you talking about?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Democrazy posted:

Are you loving serious?

Superdelegates are part of the rules you moron

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Grognan posted:

*cough* ny dem primary rules

Having clear rules is not unfair. It was up to the Sanders campaign and voters to navigate the rules, not the NY Democratic Primary to change their rules because one of the candidates didn't like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

LAST NIGHT, the Associated Press — on a day when nobody voted — surprised everyone by abruptly declaring the Democratic Party primary over and Hillary Clinton the victor. The decree, issued the night before the California primary in which polls show Clinton and Bernie Sanders in a very close race, was based on the media organization’s survey of “superdelegates”: the Democratic Party’s 720 insiders, corporate donors, and officials whose votes for the presidential nominee count the same as the actually elected delegates. AP claims that superdelegates who had not previously announced their intentions privately told AP reporters that they intend to vote for Clinton, bringing her over the threshold. AP is concealing the identity of the decisive superdelegates who said this.

Although the Sanders campaign rejected the validity of AP’s declaration — on the ground that the superdelegates do not vote until the convention and he intends to try to persuade them to vote for him — most major media outlets followed the projection and declared Clinton the winner.

:thunk:

• Locked thread