Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Zinkraptor posted:

I'm gonna second this. The really early comics are a little rough, but that's probably expected for a web comic that ran for like a decade or so, and it starts getting good pretty quickly.

Dr. McNinja was a real treasure. It was utterly absurd in a very fun way, and some of the plot twists and callbacks were just incredible. I'd definitely third recommending it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

KaosMachina posted:

I just caught up on Erma after someone posted a page from it that made me decide to check it out earlier. It's a fun little gag webcomic that goes some fun places with its premise of 'Basically imagine if Calvin was the little girl from The Ring movies'. Reminds me kind of PS 238 with a horror theme instead of a superhero theme, I guess is the best way for me to say that? I haven't even looked at PS 238 in ages, so I dunno if that one held up but I feel this is a good little webcomic for what it is.

OH MY GOD thank you

I remembered seeing that around somewhere and wanted to check out the rest of it, but had long since forgotten what it was called.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

KaosMachina posted:

I just caught up on Erma after someone posted a page from it that made me decide to check it out earlier. It's a fun little gag webcomic that goes some fun places with its premise of 'Basically imagine if Calvin was the little girl from The Ring movies'. Reminds me kind of PS 238 with a horror theme instead of a superhero theme, I guess is the best way for me to say that? I haven't even looked at PS 238 in ages, so I dunno if that one held up but I feel this is a good little webcomic for what it is.

This is cute as hell.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Dr. McNinja was a real treasure. It was utterly absurd in a very fun way, and some of the plot twists and callbacks were just incredible. I'd definitely third recommending it.
For those that don't know, since finishing Dr. McNinja Chris Hastings has been writing an ongoing series for Marvel, where he's doing a similar job of making gold out of a ridiculously dumb premise.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

http://scarygoround.com/?date=20170818
Oh Ryan, buddy, that is a disastrous tattoo.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

howe_sam posted:

http://scarygoround.com/?date=20170818
Oh Ryan, buddy, that is a disastrous tattoo.

On the one hand, I don't believe that this is a thing that Bad Machinery Mr. Beckwith, the teacher, would do
On the other, this is totally in line with what SGR Ryan, the anxious git, would do.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wilde life is hitting the 400 page milestone w a splash page

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Next week on It's Always Sunny On Flora.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I gotta stop reading Spinnerette. I have a stable of bad webcomics I continue to read out of habit and holy poo poo an entire arc of a comic where some days you don't draw any art gently caress it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Glagha posted:

I gotta stop reading Spinnerette.

lol how did you only now have this reallization?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

In monster pulse news, turns out the spineless girl's spine monster is also spineless towards its spineless master. Interesting.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol how did you only now have this reallization?

I didn't, I knew it was bad for a long time but that was before it launched into a weeks long streak of not drawing a loving comic and instead just dumping page upon page of garbage prose.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Every time I go back to re-read it I'm always amazed by how good it is. And I find little details I missed before.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, I'm over halfway through It Hurts!. Good on it for sticking to its guns until page 100 dropped, but it is at once really good and the worst garbage I've ever read. Which describes everything I like, so hey ho.

Anyway, I want to recommend Animal Court. It's very recently started, mainly on Tumblr but also on Itchio. It's more a bunch of vignettes than a comic proper, but it's pretty cute.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
On QC Winslow is learning how privileged he is for having friends and not being a massive rear end in a top hat and convicted felon.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Erma is amazing

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Glagha posted:

I didn't, I knew it was bad for a long time but that was before it launched into a weeks long streak of not drawing a loving comic and instead just dumping page upon page of garbage prose.

Game Games Bowl was the future of webcomics

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

On QC Winslow is learning how privileged he is for having friends and not being a massive rear end in a top hat and convicted felon.
We did just come off a major arc all about how a lot of AIs' lives are kinda poo poo.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Speaking of bad webcomics I continue to read... Yeah that whole thing just doesn't work because rather than justifiably irritated, she comes off as being just a huge prick for no good reason.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As I was saying somewhere else, it feels weird because it seems like they're trying to infer that Winslow has some kind of obligation to "pay it forward" that doesn't seem to apply to anybody else in the story.

I mean, May honestly has a pretty good reason to be annoyed; she's just awful.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Yeah but like, within the comic's logic, isn't getting a human sized body a major personal decision that affects your mobility, how society sees you and stuff?

In real life, it CAN be a major problem for people if they can't afford like, a prosthetic leg or hormone therapy, for example. But it'd be pointlessly cruel to be a dick to someone who CAN afford such things, and insist that they should go on living without them.

Eh, I'm thinking way harder about this than Jepp ever did

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Blue robot is angry at pink robot. What graceful handling of the totally real and serious problem of privilege.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure what that's a reference to, but I'll point out that this guy isn't the best artist in the world with the most varied character designs

So I'm pretty sure you could make any of his characters look like any one of his other characters

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's a silly Strong Female Protagonist meme.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ooh.

I refuse to have anything to do with that nonsense so I'll just go

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
lol if you don't see Clevin in every face you walk past on the street.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 19, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Clevin sighed as he unsheathed his male privilege.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Pavlov posted:

Clevin sighed as he unsheathed his male privilege.

that's a hell of a dick metaphor

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God, remember after the first couple chapters, when we thought SFP was good? Specifically because it was about there NOT being an Easy Answer or an Objectively Right Philosophy about social inequality and poo poo?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Also no clevin, can't forget about that

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

reignonyourparade posted:

Also no clevin, can't forget about that

Clevin is the physical embodiment of easy answers. That's his entire deal.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I dropped it before Clevin even showed up, so I never quite understood his infamy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Strong Female Protagonist is reasonably good and the thread here has devolved into madness.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Strong Female Protagonist is reasonably good and the thread here has devolved into madness.
It begins! :can:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PMush Perfect posted:

God, remember after the first couple chapters, when we thought SFP was good? Specifically because it was about there NOT being an Easy Answer or an Objectively Right Philosophy about social inequality and poo poo?

The melodrama in the first few chapters was laid on pretty thick, between Clever's SUPER CANCER and abusive family backstory and Feral's willingness to be a perpetual organ donor without anesthesia. Once it moved away from confronting personal issues and into trying to solve social ills it really felt like it was pulling punches to avoid controversy.

Rand Brittain posted:

putting aside clevining, no it's gotten pretty bad since the arc where Allison let her rapist-murdering ex-teammate escape after being weakly talked into the truth being in the middle.

Pavlov posted:

I dropped it before Clevin even showed up, so I never quite understood his infamy.

He's kind of dull and has a dumb name but he's become the chosen love interest in spite of all reason. He just had a moment where he whined about how Allison didn't thank him in her start-up commemoration speech alongside her family, the closest friend she had in her team of superhero/child soldiers, and the anti-hero turned Christ analog who was willing to endure a lifetime of excruciating pain to mostly solve the organ crisis. He made her lots of pasta and tea, you see. Off camera because they've only been dating for about 20 pages. Allison apologized profusely and then they went home to cuddle on the couch and watch Netflix.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 20, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Nuns with Guns posted:

The melodrama in the first few chapters was laid on pretty thick, between Clever's SUPER CANCER and abusive family backstory and Feral's willingness to be a perpetual organ donor without anesthesia. Once it moved away from confronting personal issues and into trying to solve social ills it really felt like it was pulling punches to avoid controversy.

putting aside clevining, no it's gotten pretty bad since the arc where Allison let her rapist-murdering ex-teammate escape after being weakly talked into the truth being in the middle.

He's kind of dull and has a dumb name but he's become the chosen love interest in spite of all reason. He just had a moment where he whined about how Allison didn't thank him in her start-up commemoration speech alongside her family, the closest friend she had in her team of superhero/child soldiers, and the anti-hero turned Christ analog who was willing to endure a lifetime of excruciating pain to mostly solve the organ crisis. He made her lots of pasta and tea, you see. Off camera because they've only been dating for about 20 pages. Allison apologized profusely and then they went home to cuddle on the couch and watch Netflix.

Eat ice cream in their jammies

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Rand Brittain posted:

To be fair, it had a lot of problems during the story about rape culture. It got better, and is now quite readable again, but the thread, alas, has not and is not.

Pavlov posted:

Clevin is Alison's boyfriend, who is basically just some goofy dude, and for some reason there is a group of people that think that's a bad thing and that their relationship will be all unrealistically sunshine and roses, despite the fact that the comic doesn't in any way support this. So it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

idonotlikepeas posted:

To be fair, it had a lot of problems during the story about rape culture. It got better, and is now quite readable again, but the thread, alas, has not and is not.

Clevin is Alison's boyfriend, who is basically just some goofy dude, and for some reason there is a group of people that think that's a bad thing and that their relationship will be all unrealistically sunshine and roses, despite the fact that the comic doesn't in any way support this. So it goes.

I'd be comfortable betting that if you got people shitposting in the thread now to make sincere speculations of how Clevin's relationship with Allison will go, nobody would say it will be idyllic or any other rosy strawman. The relationship feeling boring and unearned doesn't mean the comic will end with them transported to Equestria for their wedding as the pony king and queen.

• Locked thread