Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Victorian-style honor dueling is one thing, but in Germany there was mensur, which wasn't so much fighting to claim victory over one another as it was fighting to get cool facial scars. No flinching or dodging, just take that blade to the face like a man.

And the weirdest part of it all is that it's still around in the modern day, despite the attempts by the Nazis to stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Victorian-style honor dueling is one thing, but in Germany there was mensur, which wasn't so much fighting to claim victory over one another as it was fighting to get cool facial scars. No flinching or dodging, just take that blade to the face like a man.

And the weirdest part of it all is that it's still around in the modern day, despite the attempts by the Nazis to stop it.

We've talked about it a bit in the past here and in the fencing thread, but could you go into detail on the nazi era suppression? Because in the modern era it's unfortunately got a bit of a reputation for attracting gross cryptofascists, so I'm curious now.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I know I like to take digs at the Polish, but I can't hate this guys steez:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A good article: cleaning up after WW2.

Also, y' gotta figure the scrap metal market was flooded in the late '40s. Lol at that one guy buying a field full of wreckage and letting it sit, waiting for scrap prices to increase.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Was dueling common in the American west, and was it as cool as it looked in the movies?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i think i've met those dudes

they're saluting in this pic btw, that's how you salute with a pike. the position's called "port", but it's nothing like modern port arms

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HEY GAIL posted:

very short, sometimes have a hook as well as a spearpoint

Surely that's just a boathook?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Was dueling common in the American west, and was it as cool as it looked in the movies?

Relatively common, especially among the barge crewmen you see on the Mississippi and Missouri. Think less six guns at high noon and more knife fights in a ditch. A lot of it comes out of late 18th/early 19th century Southern culture, which had a form of dueling culture in the working/farming classes that people back then called "rough and tumble" The short version is that if you got into an argument you would throw down for a wrestling match where the end goal was to maim the other one, usually by taking an eye but biting off a nose or ear wasn't uncommon either. It's this that gets exported to the western frontier - which then was the west bank of the Mississippi. Think the Davie Crockett set. As I recall he wrote about gouging some guys eyes out in a few of his things that have survived.

The important bit is that this fighting was explicitly about honor and social position. These guys weren't jumping each other to steal their wallets, they were squaring off after one of them felt insulted. Hey Gail's dudes would have 100% understood the vibe.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 18, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

The important bit is that this fighting was explicitly about honor and social position. These guys weren't jumping each other to steal their wallets, they were squaring off after one of them felt insulted. Hey Gail's dudes would have 100% understood the vibe.
it's not that my guys don't steal peoples' wallets tho

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

On a completely different subject, I've heard many times that the wide proliferation of guns and cars in the pre-WWII US compared to that of the other powers was a major advantage for training troops. According to the claims, having so many men already knowing how to drive, perform basic mechanical work (from working on the cars, which needed a lot more maintenance than those of today), and comprehend the basics of operating a firearm meant that training in those tasks went a lot faster, and allowed a higher standard of training than other armies were sometimes forced to accept.

This sounds plausible to me, but plausibility is not enough to say something is confirmed, and I'm wondering if there was any documented evidence for or against this idea.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gnoman posted:

On a completely different subject, I've heard many times that the wide proliferation of guns and cars in the pre-WWII US compared to that of the other powers was a major advantage for training troops. According to the claims, having so many men already knowing how to drive, perform basic mechanical work (from working on the cars, which needed a lot more maintenance than those of today), and comprehend the basics of operating a firearm meant that training in those tasks went a lot faster, and allowed a higher standard of training than other armies were sometimes forced to accept.

This sounds plausible to me, but plausibility is not enough to say something is confirmed, and I'm wondering if there was any documented evidence for or against this idea.

This is definitely true. Drivers were desperately needed by all participants, and Russia in particular placed drivers/mechanics higher on the totem pole than most basic grunts. Experienced drivers were the first to be integrated into tank and supply units.

The same went for pilots. Glider schools were prevalent back in those days (as well as the barnstormers of yesteryear) and it helped form an experienced core once people were mobilized.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GAIL posted:

it's not that my guys don't steal peoples' wallets tho

If someone stole your wallet, did you have to duel them, or could you just kill them?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is definitely true. Drivers were desperately needed by all participants, and Russia in particular placed drivers/mechanics higher on the totem pole than most basic grunts. Experienced drivers were the first to be integrated into tank and supply units.

The same went for pilots. Glider schools were prevalent back in those days (as well as the barnstormers of yesteryear) and it helped form an experienced core once people were mobilized.

Is it true that the Wehrmacht operated basically on the opposite principle? Like, preferred sending the best and brightest into combat?

(I assume if you had a specific skill like engineering that'd take precedent, but say compared to the modern ASVAB where a very low scorer still nets "Infantry".)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it true that the Wehrmacht operated basically on the opposite principle? Like, preferred sending the best and brightest into combat?

(I assume if you had a specific skill like engineering that'd take precedent, but say compared to the modern ASVAB where a very low scorer still nets "Infantry".)

Not entirely sure, myself, to be honest. From what I know, its more "This guy is really good at shooting down planes, lets keep him on the frontlines so that he can shoot down more planes"! and then he never gets time off and doesnt train new pilots/tank commanders/etc and they all suck more for it.

Edit: And, in more Luftwaffe shenanigans, the best pilots went to bomber squadrons. This would eventually bite them in the rear end, and the worsening war situation relegated more and more pilots to fighter or fighter-bomber roles

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not really. In WW1 the German Army used Stormtroopers as a conscious decision to pack 'assault' divisions with the cream of the infantry and use them in the first waves of their attacks to break the enemy lines while the follow up divisions consolidated and reduced bypassed strongpoints. This was extremely effective but also meant accepting enormous casualties in the Stormtrooper divisions which weren't sustainable and left the German army in a pretty bad place once their 1918 offensives ran out of steam.

e: ^^ the Luftwaffe definitely developed tactics around supporting their Experten, which is great if you are a fascist state looking for ubermensch propaganda examples but not so good if you want a whole force that can fight a war of attrition.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 18, 2017

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Gnoman posted:

There's also the CCC. It produced several million fit American men used to something approximate to military life.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TerminalSaint posted:

There's also the CCC. It produced several million fit American men used to something approximate to military life.

All of that is way overblown.

3 million men filtered through it over 9 years, so a lot of the first guys would be a tad old for military service.The US army alone peaked at close to 12 million men, with almost half that amount again in the Navy and USMC.

The rapid and effective expansion of the US Army from 1940-1945 has far less to do with how many cars or guns we had or the CCC and way more to do with the loving immense effort put in to effective training. This ranged from extensive basic training facilities all over the country on up to rotating combat vets back to serve as instructors at a rate not seen in any other service.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAIL posted:

i think i've met those dudes

they're saluting in this pic btw, that's how you salute with a pike. the position's called "port", but it's nothing like modern port arms

It is, however, compatible with port the beverage

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Relatively common, especially among the barge crewmen you see on the Mississippi and Missouri. Think less six guns at high noon and more knife fights in a ditch. A lot of it comes out of late 18th/early 19th century Southern culture, which had a form of dueling culture in the working/farming classes that people back then called "rough and tumble" The short version is that if you got into an argument you would throw down for a wrestling match where the end goal was to maim the other one, usually by taking an eye but biting off a nose or ear wasn't uncommon either. It's this that gets exported to the western frontier - which then was the west bank of the Mississippi. Think the Davie Crockett set. As I recall he wrote about gouging some guys eyes out in a few of his things that have survived.

Oh wow, so...cooler than the movies, actually.

The game of thrones guys should make a series about brawlin' barge boys instead of the bad slavery thing they're planning to do, I'd watch that

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Every time I hear mention of those kind of duels I imagine that one fight in Deadwood.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Trials of PzIIs in the USSR

Queue: Marder II, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, ZIK-7 and other light SPG designs, SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Medium Tank M3, Tankbuchse 41, s.FH. 18, PzVII Lowe, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, A1E1 Independent, Valentine I-IV, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Strv 81 and Strv 101, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, KV-1S, KV-13, Bazooka, Super Bazooka, Matilda, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, Renault FT, Somua, SU-122, SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
GAZ-71 and GAZ-72
Production and combat of the KV-1S NEW

:britain:
25-pounder
Churchill II-IV

:911:
105 mm howitzer M2A1 NEW

:godwin:
Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil
PzII Ausf. G-H
15 cm sIG 33 NEW

:france:
Prospective French wartime tanks NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv m/41
pvkv m/43

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tias posted:

I still wish you'd come by, you know. We got pikes in our war museum, though it's mainly sea power artifacts now :sigh:

Don't be dissing on sea power, son.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Tias is Scandinavian of some variety, isn't he? Kinda hard to be a major sea power when Britain stands between your country and the ocean.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Every time I hear mention of those kind of duels I imagine that one fight in Deadwood.

Dan Dority vs. Captain Turner is a really great scene, one of the most "real" I can remember seeing in film or TV. The writers did a good job of setting up over the episode why it was an affair of honor, why it had to take place in public, in the street, why it had rules instead of just being a murder. To that point in the series both characters had committed murders, even of helpless people and children, but their duel is clearly governed by some kind of code. But at the same time, there are no holds barred and they're absolutely trying to kill each other.

Talking about formal duels, I've read mostly about late 18th century and onward. I don't think any of this really applies to the kind of situation she is really talking about, because her guys are earlier on, even more concerned about personal honor, and also gambling and drinking heavily on a daily basis.

Anyway, according to what I've read duels are mostly about showing up and demonstrating that you're serious about your personal honor. They were structured events involving the principals, who were the people dueling, and the seconds, who were backing up the principals. The main function of the second was actually to persuade the principal not to have the duel at all, and apparently most aristocratic-type "duels" ended without violence. The seconds would persuade their friends that it wasn't worth dying over. They would show up at the field of combat, demonstrating that they were willing to die over the offense, which in itself was enough to establish their personal honor, and then one or both of the parties would apologize and that was the thing. Other times it would actually proceed to violence, and somebody would take a wound, and then say uncle. This is much the same thing, only with a little more determination to prove your seriousness. Somebody asked about aiming in a duel with pistols: often the objective was not really to hurt the other guy, but to show up and stand bravely when the pistol was fired at you, thus showing that you had honor, nerve, grit, whatever. Usually each person would discharge their weapon without aiming, and they would agree it was fine.

"Barry Lyndon" actually has a great example of this at the end of the film. There's a duel with pistols, and Lyndon's opponent fucks up and wastes his shot. Lyndon has the guy's life in his hands, can do pretty much whatever, and he chooses to fire his own pistol into the wall as a gesture. And then the guy reloads his pistol and shoots Barry Lyndon in the leg... because gently caress him, right?

Anyway, there are accounts of people who dueled frequently and repeatedly pursued the point to the extent of grievous bodily harm or death. Andrew Jackson is probably the most immediately famous example of this. Sometimes high school American History textbooks will try to excuse him by saying that dueling was an accepted cultural practice in the early 19th century. This is semi-correct. Dueling was a known practice in the early USA, explicitly illegal in many places but that was a law frequently ignored. At the same time, a normal person would never engage in a duel, and a person who did duel would duel once in his entire life. Andrew Jackson fought an insane number of duels and it appears that he was often trying to kill or seriously maim his opponents, whereas they may not have been. Usually the textbooks are trying to imply that he was a normal kinda guy, maybe a little extreme, but not outside the bounds of society. Most likely there was something seriously wrong with him. He's not the only compulsive duelist to appear in the historical record. If you think about it, antisocial personality disorder (sociopathy) is present at varying levels in the population, and if a person has that issue and is born into a level of society where dueling is a means of conflict resolution, he can wind up at an advantage provided he stays lucky. After all, his opponents are just showing up because they have to, whereas he really wants to hurt them. He's not even playing the same sport.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 19, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Dan Dority vs. Captain Turner is a really great scene, one of the most "real" I can remember seeing in film or TV. The writers did a good job of setting up over the episode why it was an affair of honor, why it had to take place in public, in the street, why it had rules instead of just being a murder.

What are you talking about? They're both dogsbodies, it's two hit-men trying to kill each other because Turner's boss ordered him to pick a fight with the other and try to kill him. That's not a duel, it's a hit.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Phanatic posted:

What are you talking about? They're both dogsbodies, it's two hit-men trying to kill each other because Turner's boss ordered him to pick a fight with the other and try to kill him. That's not a duel, it's a hit.

Your memory of the series appears to be conspicuously lousy. They obviously want to fight eachother for reasons totally external to work. That's made very clear.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Phanatic posted:

This is fictional so I don't want to waste a bunch of time breaking it down, but obviously you agree that Turner and Dority are both murderers. Each of them has previously killed helpless, unarmed people at the behest of their superiors. Turner had been shown killing unarmed Welsh miners for trying to organize, so clearly he had no compunction in that area. And Dority had killed many people for Swearingen, including the unarmed, and unsuspecting. He was even willing to kill helpless children, if it came to it.

Here is a scene where Hearst reads a written challenge from Dority to Turner for a fight: "come scare me in the thoroughfare."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkLWn5C4Ws4&t=28s
Hearst specifically instructs Turner to make the fight a show, for the benefit of the people watching.

The fight itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blki-DISUis&t=7s
Dority doesn't ambush Turner when he is sleeping, or eating breakfast, or when he is in the outhouse taking a poo poo. This isn't a quirk of the plot, because the same show disposed of prominent characters in just such unceremonious circumstances.
Instead they settle it in the center of Deadwood in the middle of the day, in front of everybody. Before the fight, Dority shows that he is discarding his gun and his knife. Turner agrees, with a clear nod of acknowledgement, to do the same. If it was a hit, why wouldn't Turner gun Dority down right then? He had disarmed himself. Or why didn't Dority shoot him in the back from concealment, or at night?

In a later episode they elaborate this further. Hearst tries to tell Dority that he only won the fight because Turner was holding back, but Dority knows better--he was actually fighting Turner to the death, and he knew exactly what was going on. The whole point of the scene is a public display between Hearst and Swearengen, with their respective champions meeting for a rough-and-tumble brawl to the death.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cythereal posted:

Tias is Scandinavian of some variety, isn't he? Kinda hard to be a major sea power when Britain stands between your country and the ocean.

Their own drat fault for saxoning and viking up the isles in the first place

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

There's a lot of psychological build up where it's clear there's trepidation but they also want to see which of them is tougher.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am pretty sure the miners being killed off were Cornish, not Welsh.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yep.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Not really. In WW1 the German Army used Stormtroopers as a conscious decision to pack 'assault' divisions with the cream of the infantry and use them in the first waves of their attacks to break the enemy lines while the follow up divisions consolidated and reduced bypassed strongpoints. This was extremely effective but also meant accepting enormous casualties in the Stormtrooper divisions which weren't sustainable and left the German army in a pretty bad place once their 1918 offensives ran out of steam.

The Italians set up something similar in 1917. Arditi stormed trenches primarily with knives and grenades, given covering fire by LMGs. Apparently they took "significant" casualties in the year they were in service and would have experienced complete turnover if they had lasted for three years.

Then some of them took part in the occupation of Fiume and created the blackshirt uniform the Fascists created later on.

Their knife fighting is interesting, because it's left arm forward, with the assumption your opponent with go for it and probably hit, so you use your right hand, dagger in an ice pick grip to go for their vitals.

At Fightcamp I got to take part in melee fighting and trench raiding. In trench raiding I killed two people! Stabbed one and then tripped when struck with a bayonet, so I punched someone with the basket of my dagger as I fell.

Melee fighting was enlightening. It's now quite easy to understand how one unit can flank another, quite easily. And the unit will struggle to turn around to meet the threat.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's envy, really. We had a bunch of cool poo poo, but retarded leadership, which means losing the Sweden is the only kind of military experience Denmark has, and, er, we have a LOT of military experience :downs:

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 19, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

What's the difference between the Cornish and the Welsh? Not trying to play a dumbass here: as far as I can tell in distant California it seems they're both celtic cultures that managed to survive the Normans.

e: so welshmen and conrwallers(?) please don't be pissed at mean

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 19, 2017

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Tias posted:

It's envy, really. We had a bunch of cool poo poo, but retarded leadership, which means losing the Sweden is the only kind of military experience Denmark has, and, er, we have a LOT of military experience :downs:

That's not true! We've also had our fleet stolen by the British, fought a civil war, and got beat by a peasant republic :v:.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What's the difference between the Cornish and the Welsh? Not trying to play a dumbass here: as far as I can tell in distant California it seems they're both celtic cultures that managed to survive the Normans.

e: so welshmen and conrwallers(?) please don't be pissed at mean

What the gently caress is this post?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Disinterested posted:

What the gently caress is this post?

I legit mean it; suspect someone who knows what the gently caress they're talking about is going to kick my rear end with some facts now. I had previously believed that Wales and Cornwall were celtic prior to William's invasion and, not understanding more than that but suspecting I was wrong, was hoping that someone would prove my wrongness.

basically I posted some stuff that my family taught me but I suspected was wrong so that people who know more than I can correct my poo poo

e: figured that since posing a question was a bad idea (esp since I'm not sure how to even pose the quesstion I want an answer to), I'd just pose an answer that kinda sucked so someone who knows their poo poo could take it down.

And please do. I am not only ignorant but also stupid.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 19, 2017

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

I legit mean it; suspect someone who knows what the gently caress they're talking about is going to kick my rear end with some facts now. I had previously believed that Wales and Cornwall were celtic prior to William's invasion and, not understanding more than that but suspecting I was wrong, was hoping that someone would prove my wrongness.

basically I posted some stuff that my family taught me but I suspected was wrong so that people who know more than I can correct my poo poo

I mean, they're different places - they're under a unified banner right now, but they certainly haven't always been, and have different languages, histories, cultures...it's like saying "France and Germany - basically the same place right".

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

To put it in simple terms, they're two different ethnic groups that speak languages from the same family - both Celtic languages, though Cornish is not mutually intelligible with Welsh. The Welsh are also a nation, of course, in a way the Cornish aren't really - and Cornish is a much deader language; it's almost extinct. Speaking Cornish is actually much less of a deal than Cornish nationalism - but both are essentially very niche interests.

They're two of the many ethnicities at large in the UK.

CoolCab posted:

I mean, they're different places - they're under a unified banner right now, but they certainly haven't always been, and have different languages, histories, cultures...it's like saying "France and Germany - basically the same place right".

Same language family? What's the difference!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Well poo poo, I begin to see my mistake but please, seriously, continue to kick my rear end about it. I want to learn more. I'm coming from a place of almost perfect ignorance.

e: in anything I post: I'm tryong not to sound authoritative, I just wanna know more and hope by posting what others know more than I that they'll correct me.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 19, 2017