Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Hearne is a shithole. I'm really not surprised that this is an issue. I hope that UP gets their head out of their asses soon and lets those crews stay somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Abandoned Train in the Middle of Nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD87tUYwOfo

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Kilonum posted:

A steam locomotive that uses electricity to boil water

Yep
http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/swisselec/swisselc.htm

hey, I made this!

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Can you help me with a mod then? I want to make a M1/M3/M3A for my NEC run (because it makes no sense to have metroliners or AEM-7/E60s on LIRR, but I'm not sure where to start on the modding for this game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I thought of some dumb train questions while I was driving along I-8 a couple days ago next to the train tracks.

1) How does a CSX locomotive get in the middle of 5 loco's pulling a Union Pacific train through the desert of western Arizona?

2) How do they figure out how to arrange the locomotives on a freight train? During my drive I saw the following arrangements of locomotives on the trains:
2 front - 1 rear
3 front - 0 rear
2 front - 2 rear
3 front - 1 rear
3 front - 2 rear
5 front - 0 rear

3) Doesn't having locomotives at the rear tend to compress the back of the train? How does that affect operating the train when it's going around curves and up/down hills? Seems like it would make it behave.. oddly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Locator posted:

I thought of some dumb train questions while I was driving along I-8 a couple days ago next to the train tracks.

1) How does a CSX locomotive get in the middle of 5 loco's pulling a Union Pacific train through the desert of western Arizona?

2) How do they figure out how to arrange the locomotives on a freight train? During my drive I saw the following arrangements of locomotives on the trains:
2 front - 1 rear
3 front - 0 rear
2 front - 2 rear
3 front - 1 rear
3 front - 2 rear
5 front - 0 rear

3) Doesn't having locomotives at the rear tend to compress the back of the train? How does that affect operating the train when it's going around curves and up/down hills? Seems like it would make it behave.. oddly.

For 1, it's horsepower leasing (or I forget what the specific term is). Basically railroad X will ask Y "Can we borrow Z amount of engines for W amount of time", and then when X is done, Y gets to use some of X's units. It's a bit more complicated than that.

The others someone else can explain better than me.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
There's a million factors going into 2) ranging from laziness to a program, probably written in cobol, telling them how to put together the train.

Just as an example, when we run certain combinations of locos the one with the most hp usually doesn't go first since it apparently lead to a significant increase in wear on the other locos and couplers.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

The Locator posted:

2 front - 1 rear
3 front - 0 rear
2 front - 2 rear
3 front - 1 rear
3 front - 2 rear
5 front - 0 rear

3) Yes. But consider a train going over a hill with all the locomotives at the front - the weight of the train on the back of the hill would put the thing in tension and couplings would snap. The solution is to put locos at both ends (for your weak-rear end US trains) or throughout and at both ends (for the mighty Aus trains) because you need that compression. That partly explains your question in 2)

The non-trivial task of balancing between tension splitting the train on a hill, and compression derailing it in a valley or corner, is why engineers aren't supposed to drive while drunk/high/sleep deprived/playing on their phone or some combination of the four.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 9, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks for the answers guys (or gals).

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Ryand-Smith posted:

Can you help me with a mod then? I want to make a M1/M3/M3A for my NEC run (because it makes no sense to have metroliners or AEM-7/E60s on LIRR, but I'm not sure where to start on the modding for this game.

Do you know how to 3D model? I'd start with learning Blender, it's free and fairly comparable to the most outrageously expensive 3D modelling packages out there. Plus there's a native exporter for Transport Fever.

After that you just need to figure out the file system and so on and so forth, most of which is in the wiki.

PM me if you need further help I guess.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Does anybody know why the nicer carriages are towards the front of a train?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Splode posted:

To keep them away from the common folk.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Splode posted:

To encourage more people to set up the front, thereby growing the pool of potential donor organs.

The convention was luggage vans -> 1st class -> 2nd class -> rearmost crash barrier cars which may or may not have carried the lower classes; being nearer the locomotive meant that the cinders and smoke wouldn't settle on the 1st class cars.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Alternatively, when arriving at the destination terminus the first class passengers wouldn't have so far to walk.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Ahh that makes sense, thanks

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

First class train travel was ludicrously expensive too. I heard a first class stateroom on the Broadway Limited cost over $1000 in the 1920's. That's over $14,000 today.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

First class train travel was ludicrously expensive too. I heard a first class stateroom on the Broadway Limited cost over $1000 in the 1920's. That's over $14,000 today.

I mean, if you're a baron or tycoon in 1920's, what else is actually out there for you to spend money on?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

NoWake posted:

I mean, if you're a baron or tycoon in 1920's, what else is actually out there for you to spend money on?

A mansion in Newport, Rhode Island

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NoWake posted:

Duesenbergs

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Whoops

http://www.kpax.com/story/36132776/coal-train-derails-in-northwest-montana

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society had an open house today. I actually got to go this year thanks to my work schedule, and it was pretty drat cool.

They've got a bigass diesel in their shed they're restoring too.

It was funny, when I was looking around the cabin some obviously on-the-spectrum fellow came in, asked me "OOH IS THIS THE WHISTLE" and grabbed a random lever and started yanking it. One of the nice old volunteers had to tell him to knock that poo poo off.

Then they really did let him blow the whistle a couple minutes later. When I was down next to wheels. poo poo is loud, yo.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Enos Shenk posted:

poo poo is loud, yo.

That's no joke. I got to spend some time working on a steam locomotive, and one of the things I did was prep it in the morning for the daytime service. There's a valve right below the whistle that you can shut off so that you can remove the whistle while the boiler is under pressure. The guys I was working with shut that off every evening, and back on in the morning. I had to do it one morning, and they gave me earplugs AND ear muffs because it'll go full volume for a few seconds while you're twisting the valve.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tex Avery posted:

That's no joke. I got to spend some time working on a steam locomotive, and one of the things I did was prep it in the morning for the daytime service. There's a valve right below the whistle that you can shut off so that you can remove the whistle while the boiler is under pressure. The guys I was working with shut that off every evening, and back on in the morning. I had to do it one morning, and they gave me earplugs AND ear muffs because it'll go full volume for a few seconds while you're twisting the valve.

On the flipmode, how are (modern) trains in the Netherlands so drat quiet? I've been on Acela, Amtrak Silver service, and UK West Coast and they were all loud or at least not quiet, while on every Dutch train I felt self-conscious about the tack-tack-tack noise the iPhone keyboard made before I muted it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A train in India derailed, six cars left the track. Two of them telescoped into each other, while four others toppled over after the derailment. :smith:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/19/train-derails-in-northern-india-killing-at-least-23.html

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A train in India derailed, six cars left the track. Two of them telescoped into each other, while four others toppled over after the derailment. :smith:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/19/train-derails-in-northern-india-killing-at-least-23.html

Given how crowded most trains seem to be in India, I'm fairly shocked the casualty count isn't a lot higher.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Locator posted:

Given how crowded most trains seem to be in India, I'm fairly shocked the casualty count isn't a lot higher.

Yeah, usually what I see on the news are poo poo-tons of people on the roofs because the cars are so packed.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
This is a pretty good doc of the various subways around Tokyo, pretty well done too...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y49VfddU-L4

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

On the flipmode, how are (modern) trains in the Netherlands so drat quiet? I've been on Acela, Amtrak Silver service, and UK West Coast and they were all loud or at least not quiet, while on every Dutch train I felt self-conscious about the tack-tack-tack noise the iPhone keyboard made before I muted it.
All the trains you've been on are shitshows basically. If want to experience good comfy trains your options are basically france (only the high speed stuff, though some of the regional lines have slowly started improving their stock), germany and switzerland, IME. Their might be others, but I haven't experienced them first hand. Once the rail is actually maintained and the cars have proper suspension it's p easy to make it a pleasant experience.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, usually what I see on the news are poo poo-tons of people on the roofs because the cars are so packed.
That's usually only around holidays, when everyone + dog is trying to get to their families.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 21, 2017

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Enos Shenk posted:

The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society had an open house today. I actually got to go this year thanks to my work schedule, and it was pretty drat cool.

They've got a bigass diesel in their shed they're restoring too.

It was funny, when I was looking around the cabin some obviously on-the-spectrum fellow came in, asked me "OOH IS THIS THE WHISTLE" and grabbed a random lever and started yanking it. One of the nice old volunteers had to tell him to knock that poo poo off.

Then they really did let him blow the whistle a couple minutes later. When I was down next to wheels. poo poo is loud, yo.

Sup fellow Fort Wayne AI goon. I think that makes 3 or 4 of us now.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah he sure seems to be screwing the pooch big time. This article is... interesting.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/blogs/william-vantuono/whats-going-on-at-csx.html

whenever a new change comes around, i always assume that the man who's been doing it for 50 years has some idea of what hes doing.

hes pissing off a lot of intermodal shippers though. not much direct impact to my operations but the terminals that feed me are hosed up.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Perfect spot to see the Flying Scotsman go past
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHwOndZw7Ak

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JingleBells posted:

Perfect spot to see the Flying Scotsman go past
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHwOndZw7Ak

Watch me make the Flying Scotsman... DISAPPEAR! :science:

Now, for my next trick, I'll need a volunteer...

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
Not only does one of my wife's friends drive Pacers for Northern Rail, but he beat me at poker too

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

inkjet_lakes posted:

Not only does one of my wife's friends drive Pacers for Northern Rail, but he beat me at poker too

Pacers may be poo poo, but all the windows make for an excellent view on the slow train from Sheffield to Manchester through the
Peak District national park.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
This came up on my youtube recommended. A couple of years old, but hey. A little lighthearted british comedy on the train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4Xy3OWozA

vains
May 26, 2004

i read both of hunter's books today at work. the way he lays out his vision is dramatically different than the execution. maybe he doesn't have the patience he had 20 years ago or maybe csx is full of idiots.

i get where he wants to go but the conspiracy theorist in me can't help but feel like we're getting gutted so that we're an appealing merger target.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
(old) Pictures of what London's tube stations look like underground: http://londonist.com/london/transport/london-cutaways

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HERAK posted:

Pacers may be poo poo, but all the windows make for an excellent view on the slow train from Sheffield to Manchester through the
Peak District national park.

The Manchester-Leeds train has some outstanding views too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

lol annulled an intermodal train yesterday due to low volume. all of the cars, containers and power sat a day just to run it today, a day late. the train actually cost more to run, congestion was created and we missed availability at destination. i don't think hunters message is getting filtered down correctly.

now is not the time for any railroad to be dicking around with the service product. its already lovely all the way around. trucking rates are going to go up and their service product is going to suffer as diesel continues to go up and electronic logging is implemented. there is an opportunity to convert truck loads to car/container moves in the upcoming 1-1.5 years. that wont happen if the product doesnt improve.