Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Junkfist posted:

Ok done it was fine it was just ok it wasn't the worst it was only like one-third silly imho a good job.

Yes.

Hughmoris posted:

Never watched Iron Fist but I've heard stories. I really hope that very first scene isn't a sign of quality to come...

It's an origin story for a big dumb doof who needs to grow up and was given three minutes to rehearse for action scenes. It's the weakest of the four individual series by far. It's not hyperbolically bad like you've probably heard, it's just not terrific. It has some good parts and is part of the Defenders metaplot.

Now watch some Goon accuse me of being Iron Fist's staunchest defender in multiple topics for having a middle of the road opinion about it.

(As an aside, I got my red title for similar middle of the road opinions elsewhere. loving hyperbolic Goons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I enjoyed the entire thing a lot, having just finished it. Not too happy about Sigourney Weaver's character as I'd heard rumors that would've been more interesting than what we got but she was still great and the show as a whole is consistently above average for a Netiflix Marvel Show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh my god Foggy's hair.

He looks so

PRESENTABLE

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The accidentally funniest part for me was in episode 2 I think where Matt Murdock heroically saves two sweet and innocent looters by beating up a store owner and his son lol.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Without specific spoilers, how much does this embrace the supernatural elements that were aggressively downplayed in Iron Fist?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Junkfist posted:

The accidentally funniest part for me was in episode 2 I think where Matt Murdock heroically saves two sweet and innocent looters by beating up a store owner and his son lol.

Yeah, I wasn't sure I was fully understanding that sequence of events...

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Seeing Danny get told off for being a spoiled white guy is really fun. I think he works pretty well in the group and it's nice seeing him actually take some of the criticism to heart.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hughmoris posted:

The looters were a couple of stupid kids and the store owner was going to kill them. I found it kind of refreshing. It showed there was more to "saving people" than pure black-and-white.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hahaha aww man, Finn's still a wiry gently caress. Dammit, couldn't they have gotten Michael Phelps to play his parts or something?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh wow, ep3, That was a cool fight scene, better choreography than the entirety of Iron Fist with Danny's fighting and even if his acting is still a bit wooden he's doing some cool poo poo just walking into the middle of the Hand's fortress and confronting them. Jessica and Matt are a match made in heaven and Luke is as awesome as ever with that big entrance.

Any worries I had about Danny dragging the show down are gone, they play to his strengths as a spoiled childish billionaire warrior very well.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

Without specific spoilers, how much does this embrace the supernatural elements that were aggressively downplayed in Iron Fist?

Apparently they're all true and Danny gets some kind of vindication.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

tweet my meat posted:

Oh wow, ep3, That was a cool fight scene, better choreography than the entirety of Iron Fist with Danny's fighting and even if his acting is still a bit wooden he's doing some cool poo poo just walking into the middle of the Hand's fortress and confronting them. Jessica and Matt are a match made in heaven and Luke is as awesome as ever with that big entrance.

Any worries I had about Danny dragging the show down are gone, they play to his strengths as a spoiled childish billionaire warrior very well.

Agreed, on both the spoiler and non spoiler parts of this post. I don't know if Danny's part in Defenders was written with the criticisms of Iron Fist taken on board or not, but it certainly feels like they were trying to address aspects of it. He's still just a little bit too angsty and angry overall, but I still enjoyed having this more self-aware Danny as part of the group.

And when I say self-aware, I mean everyone taking turns to point out how wrong, stupid, priviliged or bad he is forced him to be self-aware. Whatever, it's all good stuff and I want more of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

Parkingtigers posted:

Agreed, on both the spoiler and non spoiler parts of this post. I don't know if Danny's part in Defenders was written with the criticisms of Iron Fist taken on board or not, but it certainly feels like they were trying to address aspects of it. He's still just a little bit too angsty and angry overall, but I still enjoyed having this more self-aware Danny as part of the group.

And when I say self-aware, I mean everyone taking turns to point out how wrong, stupid, priviliged or bad he is forced him to be self-aware. Whatever, it's all good stuff and I want more of it.

EP6 - the opening scene with the throw down between Matt and Danny was fantastic. It honestly cemented my opinion that the vast majority of issues with Iron Fist were the lovely writing and terrible production team. Finn was actually looked badass in that fight.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Proteus Jones posted:

EP6 - the opening scene with the throw down between Matt and Danny was fantastic. It honestly cemented my opinion that the vast majority of issues with Iron Fist were the lovely writing and terrible production team. Finn was actually looked badass in that fight.

Yeah, I can't fault Ep 6 most of his fight scenes. That faceoff against the rest of the team, that little fight outside in the alleyway he had, and especially that boardroom fight before Luke Cage joined in. That one in particular was loving awesome, pulling tranq darts out of the wall to stab motherfuckers was metal AF. And then instinctively knowing to duck behind Luke when the guns came in... gently caress me that whole sequence was lit.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Hughmoris posted:

I can understand being confused since after a girl with a voice as mousey and timid as S1 Karen Page whimpers "We're really sorry!" and the storeowner pumps his shotgun and menacingly says "it's too late now!" we need to have the shot of them running out of the store with armfuls of electronics because otherwise we wouldn't understand that they were looters.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Hmm now that I think about it another accidentally funny part is how I guess I'm supposed to have sympathy for that poor innocent lad who's DISSOLVING FRESHLY MURDERED PEOPLE AT CRIME SCENES WITH AN ACID SPRAY Jesus Christ YES HE BELONGS IN JAIL, LUKE

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Apparently they're all true and Danny gets some kind of vindication.

I meant in terms of things actually being depicted on screen and not just confined to exposition.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
uh are they seriously not going to explain (e5)
how luke beat down that other guy in the start of ep5 to capture him

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

mastershakeman posted:

uh are they seriously not going to explain (e5)
how luke beat down that other guy in the start of ep5 to capture him

Ep 5 Luke got run down by a truck, White Hat got into a van to chase after him. The Defenders thought Luke was captured by White Hat because he didn't turn up, assuming they caught up to Cage and bagged him. But surprise, Luke did the catching.

I mean a lot happens off screen, but it's not really a mystery, just done so the audience gets a surprise.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

I meant in terms of things actually being depicted on screen and not just confined to exposition.

There is proof on-screen of Danny's claims, connected to the main plot, which major characters interact with.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

just finished ep6.

That poo poo was lit.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wish all the Netflix shows were 8 episodes. In the back half of Defenders, now, and it's improving rather than lagging.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Parkingtigers posted:

Ep 5 Luke got run down by a truck, White Hat got into a van to chase after him. The Defenders thought Luke was captured by White Hat because he didn't turn up, assuming they caught up to Cage and bagged him. But surprise, Luke did the catching.

I mean a lot happens off screen, but it's not really a mystery, just done so the audience gets a surprise.

yeah it's just
completely ridiculous they couldn't flash back 5 minutes to show how luke caught him by surprise , considering its the only success they have against someone with a name so far

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

esperterra posted:

I wish all the Netflix shows were 8 episodes. In the back half of Defenders, now, and it's improving rather than lagging.

Yeah, when you limit the amount of time you have to tell your story, you either make a shitshow or a lean, tight narrative. Thankfully this appears to be the latter.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stick owns Jessica owns

The Hand are still the least threatening villains ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Stick owns Jessica owns

The Hand are still the least threatening villains ever.

Ash never cut off his hand to escape Team Rocket so I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

Ash never cut off his hand to escape Team Rocket so I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

That was pretty hardcore. But lol the effort they have put into concealing his stump.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Karen owns.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
danny is so god drat stupid it's amazing. and yet, consistent!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

danny is so god drat stupid it's amazing. and yet, consistent!

Seriously gently caress MCU Danny Rand he's such a piece of poo poo and a moron that has to have other characters explain why he's such a dumb bastard.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
tbf he's a billionaire who spent his formative years being indoctrinated into a cult.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Matt and Karen have zero chemistry in the Netflix series.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dexo posted:

tbf he's a billionaire who spent his formative years being indoctrinated into a cult.

Yeah, it's a reasonable take on the character considering his history and upbringing. Also, it's not nearly so grating when he isn't the main protagonist of the show.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dexo posted:

Didn't do Bruce Wayne any harm.

Oh wait no, he's that guy who dresses as up as a bat to punch muggers.

Didn't do Oliver Queen any ha.. ah gently caress it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Did this seriously open with an awkwardly stilted Iron Fist punch with no bang behind it at all just kind of wire-whoosing a woman off-screen?

This....does not bode well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Matt and Karen have zero chemistry in the Netflix series.

I so agree. Her and Foggy had so much more going on in season one compared to this, it's so weird that they forced that one along.

Anyway, I'm up to Episode 3 and smiling throughout fight scenes so I have to say this is good, I'm enjoying this.

tooterfish posted:

Didn't do Bruce Wayne any harm.

Oh wait no, he's that guy who dresses as up as a bat to punch muggers.

Didn't do Oliver Queen any ha.. ah gently caress it.

Y'know, for how many times and people keep doing the Batman origin story, I don't think I have any idea what the gently caress he did when he was ten till his 20's.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It gets better.

I just finished, and I enjoyed it. The show definitely takes a bit of time to get rolling, and the Hand continue to be some of the most ineffectual villains ever, but I thought it was pretty good in general. Jessica and Matt were standouts, and I feel Danny worked better in the ensemble than he did by himself.

Just a few quibbles:

What a waste of Sigorney Weaver. In a band of uninspiring bad guys, she was only marginally more impressive than the jobber black guy.

Elektra is as boring and poorly written as she was in DDS2.

I'm not convinced Gao, Elektra, and Matt are dead.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Just finished it, it was pretty good. The episode count was just right, it didn't have a chance to drag like some of the individual shows did. Danny was certainly a lot better this go-around than before.

On Sigourney Weaver: Ripley al Ghul was a waste of a villain and actress. All she did was indulge herself and mope. Also, You have Sigourney Weaver in a picture about a building in New York with a unique history, and she needs someone to open a lock- a Keymaster, if you will.

What I'm saying is Danny should have been played by Rick Moranis.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cythereal posted:

It gets better.

I just finished, and I enjoyed it. The show definitely takes a bit of time to get rolling, and the Hand continue to be some of the most ineffectual villains ever, but I thought it was pretty good in general. Jessica and Matt were standouts, and I feel Danny worked better in the ensemble than he did by himself.

Just a few quibbles:

What a waste of Sigorney Weaver. In a band of uninspiring bad guys, she was only marginally more impressive than the jobber black guy.

Elektra is as boring and poorly written as she was in DDS2.

I'm not convinced Gao, Elektra, and Matt are dead.

Did you miss the bit at the end where it shows Matt being very much not dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

Seeing Danny get told off for being a spoiled white guy is really fun. I think he works pretty well in the group and it's nice seeing him actually take some of the criticism to heart.

Danny grew up being tortured and beaten into the Iron Fist. The criticism was insanely too meta and didn't bear out his story line/character, which is immature traumatized manchild, who's conflicted by the Western and Eastern values he's been taught and refuses to make a decision between them.

lmao he really should have been cast White or Asian

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 18, 2017