Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Volmarias posted:

I don't tape over my laptop camera because I don't sit out walk around naked in front of it, this seems like the simplest solution.

I'm naked in front of my laptop more often than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Me: Boss, I am late on projects because there is too much to do. I am overcapacity and have been this way for some time. Please hire more people to support our team.
Boss: Nope.

[repeat each year for past 4 years]

Boss: OK, we're hiring someone junior to you but you won't manage them and also they won't primarily provide support.
Me: Oh hey, great. Say, just thought you might like to know I have metrics showing that I personally do four times the ticket load that our entire team was doing in 2012. In addition to the projects I have assigned.
Boss: Hmmm. You know, our team is responsible for opening many of the support tickets. I wonder if there's a report that can show this data.
Me: Indeed, there is such a report and it shows that I only open 10% of tickets, the team opens another 10%, so 80% of incoming tickets are direct from users or from our Tier 1 Help Desk. I do not, in fact, inflate my own numbers.
Boss: ...

[later]
Boss: Well, you're really unreliable and your performance is sub-par, so we can't give you a management position.
Me: :yotj:

Last day September 15. Burn it to the ground.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I always close my office door if I'm calling vendor support because I don't want the people around my office to know my true nature on the phone.

Being ruthless to vendors on the phone is something I am notorious for. I simply can't help it. I have zero tolerance. I had to start closing the door because some team members were coming up to me saying that I get way too intense and it makes everyone nervous. It gets results though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Us: Hey Vendor, that system you delivered some years ago is doing insane things with user permissions, it's not syncing the things to AD we want it to.
Vendor: Hey let's look into it.

...later
Vendor: Yeah that system we sold you? No more integration support for you, your org is too big for it to handle. Sucks, right?

Something like that.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I always close my office door if I'm calling vendor support because I don't want the people around my office to know my true nature on the phone.

This is the truth. I go lock myself in the boardroom when I get on the phone with vendors. Sometimes I'm nice and I tell the guy who answers the call to move me up the line because he doesn't get paid enough to listen to the poo poo storm I am about to unleash.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nielsm posted:

Us: Hey Vendor, that system you delivered some years ago is doing insane things with user permissions, it's not syncing the things to AD we want it to.
Vendor: Hey let's look into it.

...later
Vendor: Yeah that system we sold you? No more integration support for you, your org is too big for it to handle. Sucks, right?

Something like that.

Is the next step "hey legal guys, have a nice word with these chucklefucks"?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This is the truth. I go lock myself in the boardroom when I get on the phone with vendors. Sometimes I'm nice and I tell the guy who answers the call to move me up the line because he doesn't get paid enough to listen to the poo poo storm I am about to unleash.

Yep. Dude who answers the phone gets a break. They're always appreciative to.
gently caress lovely vendors. Our phone provider is getting a goddamn earful next week (couldn't today, too much time fixing their fuckup)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Entropic posted:

There's a literal cricket in our warehouse area and it's driving the inventory guy slowly mad.
You mean... A cricket came in?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Knormal posted:

:vince:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Knormal posted:

Boo this man

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So the CEO of our private practice division calls the help desk because she's taken several calls from patients saying that when they go to hospital dot website, they get what I'm assuming is a Microsoft IIS placeholder. Thankfully adding the www fixes this, but even I know that your website should handle redirecting this, so I go to my boss to find out how to file a ticket with the company that's handling our website.

I explain to her what's going on and she looks at me and says, straight faced, "why don't they just put the www on? Seems like that fixes the problem." I explained to her that this is still an issue even with a simple workaround and that these calls are going to a c-level direct from patients, and get nothing but a blank stare and "I'll follow up on it."

No she won't. She's never followed up on anything I've asked on her the whole time I've been here. I've got to get out of here.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Is the next step "hey legal guys, have a nice word with these chucklefucks"?

I wish, but the vendor probably found a way to weasel out without really owing anything. The system is giving far too many tickets about permissions problems noone can fully figure out. I could probably figure out a way to make it behave if I was given full access to the configuration etc., but it's not my department at all and I definitely don't want to own it. The POS appears to have 3 or 4 layers of configurations piled on top of each other and it's not clear at all what each one does and does not. The other day someone from the server team mentioned he had peeked at the setup, and apparently the AD sync scheduled jobs were all disabled, only after lots of poking around did he discover it had been integrated into the front end web process.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Knormal posted:

God drat it

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Duct tape leaves nasty residue over the camera and bezel. Blue painter's tape is where it's at.

It's not completely opaque, so when video does come on, they see a blue screen, so at least you know you're sending video.

Sticky notes cut to size are also a popular option. I had one customer who had a half-inch sticker of the Death Star over hers. That was awesome.

A ticket came in: laptop not recognizing it's plugged in. I check it out, nope, sure isn't. I open up the machine and... one of the hinge screws came adrift and shorted the power connector to the main system board. HP is eating this one on a warranty claim.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

So the CEO of our private practice division calls the help desk because she's taken several calls from patients saying that when they go to hospital dot website, they get what I'm assuming is a Microsoft IIS placeholder. Thankfully adding the www fixes this, but even I know that your website should handle redirecting this, so I go to my boss to find out how to file a ticket with the company that's handling our website.

I explain to her what's going on and she looks at me and says, straight faced, "why don't they just put the www on? Seems like that fixes the problem." I explained to her that this is still an issue even with a simple workaround and that these calls are going to a c-level direct from patients, and get nothing but a blank stare and "I'll follow up on it."

No she won't. She's never followed up on anything I've asked on her the whole time I've been here. I've got to get out of here.

Just shooting from the hip, that would seem to be a problem with the domain setup in IIS. They just have an alias for https://www.company.com instead of one for that and one for company.com. Or that's what worked back in the day when I did my own email and webhosting, at least.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Knormal posted:

:dadjoke:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lol if iis landing page is domain controller open to the outside

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The fact is that an external company is running that show, and my boss didn't see it as any kind of problem that a drat landing page was out there for everyone to see. We're gonna get hacked some day and be facing some humongous HIPAA fine and I just hope I'm not here when the whole hospital has to close.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that an external company looking after it running on your own infrastructure or...?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I have come to accept that most of my humor would now be categorized as Dad Jokes. :geno:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

I have come to accept that most of my humor would now be categorized as Dad Jokes. :geno:

I came to that conclusion years ago and have fully embraced it.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

"Have you tried spacing and re-7'ing again?"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

This, with Google Hangout's propensity for "enable the camera by default every time you join a call", is why literally the first thing I do with any new computer is add duct tape.

Use this instead

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPC66U4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ju2Lzb41CAKHM

It's a sliding webcam cover for laptops so you can use your webcam when you want and keep it blacked out the rest of the time.

I use this on my work laptop and its low profile doesn't affect the laptop's ability to close properly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

Boss: OK, we're hiring someone junior to you but you won't manage them and also they won't primarily provide support.
Me: Oh hey, great. Say, just thought you might like to know I have metrics showing that I personally do four times the ticket load that our entire team was doing in 2012. In addition to the projects I have assigned.
Boss: Hmmm. You know, our team is responsible for opening many of the support tickets. I wonder if there's a report that can show this data.
Me: Indeed, there is such a report and it shows that I only open 10% of tickets, the team opens another 10%, so 80% of incoming tickets are direct from users or from our Tier 1 Help Desk. I do not, in fact, inflate my own numbers.

[later]
Boss: Well, you're really unreliable and your performance is sub-par, so we can't give you a management position.
Me:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Macaroni posted:

Me: Boss, I am late on projects because there is too much to do. I am overcapacity and have been this way for some time. Please hire more people to support our team.
Boss: Nope.

[repeat each year for past 4 years]

[later]
Me: :yotj:

Last day September 15. Burn it to the ground.

Some people see it as a viable strategy to tell their top performers that they are poo poo to keep them where they are. Sadly it does work. Just never let it work on you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Use this instead

It's a sliding webcam cover for laptops so you can use your webcam when you want and keep it blacked out the rest of the time.

I use this on my work laptop and its low profile doesn't affect the laptop's ability to close properly.

:monocle:

Excellent

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Sickening posted:

Some people see it as a viable strategy to tell their top performers that they are poo poo to keep them where they are. Sadly it does work. Just never let it work on you.

So much this. I've never understood the mentality required to have this actually keep you working hard.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I don't tape over my laptop camera because I don't sit out walk around naked in front of it, this seems like the simplest solution.

My nudity uptime now exceeds Rackspace's uptime easily

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I take my pants off for those who cannot

and my shirt

and everything else

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Migishu posted:

and my shirt

and everything else

:cheers:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I feel like all of us should have this printed out and hung up somewhere.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 19, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
why would you want to put your swampass in your computer chair :mrwhite:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

why would you want to put your swampass in your computer chair :mrwhite:

So that's what standing desks are for.

Agrikk posted:

Use this instead

These literally used to be part of laptops, but I guess manufacturers decided to save 3 cents by getting rid of them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Geemer posted:

So that's what standing desks are for.

:golfclap:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

If you work from home and have never abused the ability to set your alarm as "5 minutes before the first meeting of the day" then you haven't lived

Agrikk posted:

Use this instead

this, though, is very interesting indeed

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Migishu posted:

and my shirt

and everything else

Rock that tie.

I see a lot of those webcam covers on campus. I see more sticky notes cut to size, but the actual covers are super pro.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

ChubbyThePhat posted:

So much this. I've never understood the mentality required to have this actually keep you working hard.

Speaking from experience, it's like an abusive relationship really. "I'm good here but it's a tallest midget scenario, I'd be terrible anywhere else, I'm lucky to even have this lovely job..." You definitely have to be in an unhealthy place to begin with.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/Peppdurr/status/898603892254093314