Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Sarchasm posted:

GLOW is 100% women pissing. There is no dialog, no wrestling, just a neverending stream of hot, golden urine.

Seriously: Some dude a dozen pages back flipped out because the first episode featured a scene in a women's restroom where a minor character could be heard urinating.

This is extremely my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Timby posted:

None of the WHAS stuff is particularly good.

Don't listen to this guy.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

David Wain rules and his movies are good and funny

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I liked season one of GLOW alright with the heavy piss focus angle, but the leaked s2 script where the girls are all trapped on a train that eternally circumnavigates the frozen earth seems a little iffy.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

tweet my meat posted:

I liked season one of GLOW alright with the heavy piss focus angle, but the leaked s2 script where the girls are all trapped on a train that eternally circumnavigates the frozen earth seems a little iffy.

Don't worry, the lady wrestlers at the back of the train can be sustainably kept alive by the reconstituted piss of the lady wrestlers at the front of the train.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jose Oquendo posted:

Don't listen to this guy.

He's right though. WHAS: 10 Years Later isn't particularly good. It's specifically great

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nobody could have predicted Zoya the Destroyer.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Timby posted:

None of the WHAS stuff is particularly good.

You kidding me? The original was great. The prequel overstayed it's welcome a bit, but i'm enjoying this new one.

tweet my meat posted:

pfffffffff

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I liked Wet Hot American Summer fine enough, but I don't think it's a strong enough movie to warrant multiple spin-offs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rough Lobster posted:

I liked Wet Hot American Summer fine enough, but I don't think it's a strong enough movie to warrant multiple spin-offs.

It's just an excuse to get those actors back together, and I'm okay with that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

hahaha he's back.

Watched The Founder. great movie, but man I hate that guy now. It's loving amazing his wife gave his fortune to The Salvation Army and NPR.

The Keaton-ssaince owns.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

It's just an excuse to get those actors back together--

and that's always the lamest reason to do anything

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, the problem I had with the last two Wet Hot outings was they were funny, but not funny enough for their length. They've would've been classics if they had been edited down into 90 minute movies, with laughs coming every minute, instead of spreading out the laughs over several hours.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I love how refreshing Ozark feels. They don't gently caress around with the whole "I have to keep my criminal life secret from my family" juggling that a lot of similar shows go for to get some cheap drama and tension. The wife and kids are all on board early. While it really tears at the family, they all legitimately try their hardest to make it work and the wife realizes that she needs to help out with the business if she wants to save her family. They're past a lot of the really basic morality questions that you get in something like BrBA since Marty is already deep in the game when the show starts and they're more or less just trying to make a terrible situation work.

The Langmores, the redneck crime family, also have a really interesting power dynamic. You've got the two big older male ones who would usually be the head of the group in another show, but Ruth, the young female member, is essentially the uncontested matriarch of the whole family. They don't really fall into the trap of having the older guys just be bumbling rednecks led around by the only one with some brains though, they're all pretty clever and have a good bit of depth.

If you liked Breaking Bad and want something on the same level that still feels extremely unique, I definitely recommend this show.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

K. Waste posted:

and that's always the lamest reason to do anything

It's not a friends reunion though, the people in whas are actually funny and entertaining.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Field Mousepad posted:

It's not a friends reunion though, the people in whas are actually funny and entertaining.

They're not "Let's do two miniseries based on a flop we were in sixteen years ago, and it's totally not even kinda lame"-funny/entertaining, though.

I'm glad we got Hurricane of Fun out of it. If you like the people of WHAS, then that poo poo is fascinating and dope.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

Snowpisser

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

tweet my meat posted:

I love how refreshing Ozark feels. They don't gently caress around with the whole "I have to keep my criminal life secret from my family" juggling that a lot of similar shows go for to get some cheap drama and tension. The wife and kids are all on board early. While it really tears at the family, they all legitimately try their hardest to make it work and the wife realizes that she needs to help out with the business if she wants to save her family. They're past a lot of the really basic morality questions that you get in something like BrBA since Marty is already deep in the game when the show starts and they're more or less just trying to make a terrible situation work.

The Langmores, the redneck crime family, also have a really interesting power dynamic. You've got the two big older male ones who would usually be the head of the group in another show, but Ruth, the young female member, is essentially the uncontested matriarch of the whole family. They don't really fall into the trap of having the older guys just be bumbling rednecks led around by the only one with some brains though, they're all pretty clever and have a good bit of depth.

If you liked Breaking Bad and want something on the same level that still feels extremely unique, I definitely recommend this show.

For as much as I loved Breaking Bad when I first watched it, that is legitimately one of the things that keeps me from rewatching it. I wish they had just abandoned all pretense that Walt was trying to remain a good person by doing it for his family and poo poo, because it made a lot of unnecessary things happen in the show. Glad to hear that Ozark gets away from that. Definitely going to add it to my list now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Walt's not really trying to stay a good person, he's trying to justify his own overweening pride and bruised manhood.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Walt's not really trying to stay a good person, he's trying to justify his own overweening pride and bruised manhood.

Yeah, this was something that was a key part of the character development over the seasons. In the beginning it's not exactly clear that it's all about his personal hubris, and you kind of root for him since it seems a good part of his motivation is family. He's run down and bitter, but it's not entirely clear that it's all about him. By the end, his pride has completely consumed (nearly) everything. The viewer (and finally the character himself) realizing this is a huge part of the plot arc.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
When Walt moves into an industrial sized meth lab and starts throwing bodies into barrels of acid it's pretty clear he's not doing it for his family at that point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Field Mousepad posted:

When Walt moves into an industrial sized meth lab and starts throwing bodies into barrels of acid it's pretty clear he's not doing it for his family at that point.

Doesn't he put a body into acid in, like, the second episode? :v:

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, this was something that was a key part of the character development over the seasons. In the beginning it's not exactly clear that it's all about his personal hubris, and you kind of root for him since it seems a good part of his motivation is family. He's run down and bitter, but it's not entirely clear that it's all about him. By the end, his pride has completely consumed (nearly) everything. The viewer (and finally the character himself) realizing this is a huge part of the plot arc.

Yeah, that's one of the most meaningful moments of Felina: Walt admitting to Skyler, "I did it ... because I enjoyed it." There was never any pretense of Walt being a good person, because pretty much right from the beginning of his meth journey he's lying to, manipulating and using everyone around him.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Field Mousepad posted:

I'd say the moment he turns down his friend's money (what was that, the second episode?) was when you could tell that he didn't actually give a poo poo about his family and was still bitter about his "legacy".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'd say the moment he turns down his friend's money (what was that, the second episode?) was when you could tell that he didn't actually give a poo poo about his family and was still bitter about his "legacy".

Fourth or fifth episode, and it was another example of Walt being a massive cock -- he flies into a rage when Elliott keeps trying to offer him a job (because he realizes Skyler told him and Gretchen about the cancer), and then at the end, after Gretchen appeals to him again and begs him to take the money, he says something like "it's covered," and then goes cooking with Jesse.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

I mean, that was a guy who was directly and specifically trying to murder him, I can't really call that beyond-the-pale.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Timby posted:

Well yeah but he wasn't doing it on the reg at that point yet.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, that was a guy who was directly and specifically trying to murder him, I can't really call that beyond-the-pale.
It was also a huge moral quandary that was only closed off by the dude himself being duplicitous. And the body thing was hilarious - I actually knew a guy around that time, who had a hole in the ceiling that looked remarkably like the acid hole from that episode. (his grow room sprung a leak and the drywall in the ceiling sagged and fell through)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

InterrupterJones posted:

For as much as I loved Breaking Bad when I first watched it, that is legitimately one of the things that keeps me from rewatching it. I wish they had just abandoned all pretense that Walt was trying to remain a good person by doing it for his family and poo poo, because it made a lot of unnecessary things happen in the show. Glad to hear that Ozark gets away from that. Definitely going to add it to my list now.

Another difference is (I guess this is minor spoilers) Marty in Ozark actually is a good guy, he gets constantly screwed over by his refusal to embrace the criminal side of "criminal money manager". I think season 2 is where he will start to Break Really Bad

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Really dumb question here... I see DARK BREED is on Amazon Prime... but when I search for it I can not find it.

I know amazon's search and interface etc sucks, but it cant possibly be this bad can it?

Instantwatcher list it as being available and Ive searched with the exact words capitalization etc., Ive even tried ridiculous spelling just for the hell of it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Really dumb question here... I see DARK BREED is on Amazon Prime... but when I search for it I can not find it.

I know amazon's search and interface etc sucks, but it cant possibly be this bad can it?

Instantwatcher list it as being available and Ive searched with the exact words capitalization etc., Ive even tried ridiculous spelling just for the hell of it.

This?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

yes

I just searched for Jack Scalia... and got a black screen flashing gently caress YOU in neon pink letters.

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 18, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

77 Minutes, the documentary about the spreee killing rampage at a San Diego McDonald's in 1984, is available on Amazon Prime. It's very powerful and also very explicit, and doesn't come with any warnings of the extremely graphic and disturbing imagery of corpses and victims at the scene, so be careful.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

precision posted:

Another difference is (I guess this is minor spoilers) Marty in Ozark actually is a good guy, he gets constantly screwed over by his refusal to embrace the criminal side of "criminal money manager". I think season 2 is where he will start to Break Really Bad

I think he does embrace it. He knew exactly what he was doing when he pointed out the errors in the accounting, and had to know that by taking that trip he was going to work with them. His partner was oblivious until the guy they replaced told him, and Marty insisted their partnership remain because he needed the legitimate money to make the whole thing work. He also talks about the early days as if they were a nuisance rather than something traumatizing, and he incorporates his whole family into various parts of the enterprise, including telling his son how proud he is of him for recommending a business he can use. Marty also watched the murder and eye removal scene a lot longer than he needed to, which threw up some red flags for me that this guy wasn't just some accountant; he was ready to play in the deep end of the pool.

I don't disagree with you that he is a good guy. I think he genuinely grows into wanting to help Rachel if not Ruth, and certainly the preacher and his wife (those scenes with the baby loving killed me), while simultaneously using them for his own ends. The same as he did with his previous investors. He made them money, while using their money to cover the illegal activities he was doing. The only real exception to this is when he takes over the titty bar, but even then he pays the guy for it. If by embracing "the criminal side" you mean he doesn't kill people or seek to cause people real harm from which they can't recover either financially or physically, you are right, but he is certainly criminal in his ability to launder money.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, that's what I meant. He actively allows his moral compass to show.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The thing with Ozark is, he is doing all the things that would put anyone under investigation at the very beginning, so he understandably has to draw the least amount of attention for the rest of the show.

One of the best parts of Ozarks for me is (Spoilers) Like it or not, the family is in the situation, and they go from realizing their life is completely gone, to be willing to do anything they can to live, while still trying to "live" some sort of normal life. The last episode where Wendy nods to Jonah to take the shot to me kinda cemented the family willing to do what's necessary to survive.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 18, 2017

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Watched Paterson earlier this week, nice movie.

Is Fargo season 3 streaming yet? Hulu got had episodes for 1 and 2 as the season was airing but not this year.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cash Monet posted:

Watched Paterson earlier this week, nice movie.

Is Fargo season 3 streaming yet? Hulu got had episodes for 1 and 2 as the season was airing but not this year.
I'm pretty sure they release them right before the new season premieres.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

77 Minutes, the documentary about the spreee killing rampage at a San Diego McDonald's in 1984, is available on Amazon Prime. It's very powerful and also very explicit, and doesn't come with any warnings of the extremely graphic and disturbing imagery of corpses and victims at the scene, so be careful.

Just reading about this incident on wikipedia gave me a fuckin panic attack.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Defenders is up and it's pretty good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tweet my meat posted:

Defenders is up and it's pretty good so far.

It's fun, I'm having fun so far, but it suffers from some plot holes, and inconsistent characterization. And they like, completely forgot that Jessica can jump super high.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 18, 2017