Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I want to live in the universe where Coldplay is a Pantera side project.

Or vice versa, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

I want to live in the universe where Coldplay is a Pantera side project.

Or vice versa, really.

Surely there has to be a mashup or two out there

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
RE
SPECT
CLOCKS

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Henchman of Santa posted:

RE
SPECT
CLOCKS

are you talking to me?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Memento posted:

are you talking to me?

No way, punk

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Besesoth posted:

It's true, your honor. This man has no dick.

You have a Steven Universe avatar. If you still have a dick hopefully chemical castration is in your future if you gnome sayin

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
like i flew over some flat states for the first time in my life and oh my lord they're so flat and so sweepingly forever lasting

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Rushi posted:

like i flew over some flat states for the first time in my life and oh my lord they're so flat and so sweepingly forever lasting

That's why they're not called drive-through states.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Not me, but my coworker just found out (while talking about New Orleans and football) that the symbol the Saints use called a "fleur-de-lis", not a "Florida Leaf".

e: If you google image search "florida leaf" you get fleur-de-lis as the first result, so I guess he's not the only one.

fullroundaction has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Aug 18, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've also heard floored leaf but the Google record isn't backing me up on that one

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

fullroundaction posted:

Not me, but my coworker just found out (while talking about New Orleans and football) that the symbol the Saints use called a "fleur-de-lis", not a "Florida Leaf".

e: If you google image search "florida leaf" you get fleur-de-lis as the first result, so I guess he's not the only one.

The guy I saw in traffic yesterday with "SAINTS" and a fleur-de-lis on his rear window was probably a fan of the football team and not the video game street gang.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phy posted:

The guy I saw in traffic yesterday with "SAINTS" and a fleur-de-lis on his rear window was probably a fan of the football team and not the video game street gang.

Unless it was purple.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Flyball posted:

That's why they're not called drive-through states.

I've driven through 41/50 states, the plains are kinda charming/sleepy/creepy in a nice way.

Honestly the only bad driving states if you're doing it for pleasure is Connecticut bc that poo poo is a forever-traffic-jam. And really that's NYC's fault.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Aphrodite posted:

Unless it was purple.

You gotta rep the Row, man.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Rushi posted:

did you see the black lines

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Florid leaf

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ArtIsResistance posted:

You have a Steven Universe avatar. If you still have a dick hopefully chemical castration is in your future if you gnome sayin

Thank you for the nice thought! It's really heartwarming to see so many pro-trans posters on SA these days. :glomp:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

At a certain point goons blinding hatred towards kids TV shows is more disturbing than goons that watch and enjoy kids TV shows and that point is pretty much immediately

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

purple death ray posted:

At a certain point goons blinding hatred towards kids TV shows is more disturbing than goons that watch and enjoy kids TV shows and that point is pretty much immediately

what kind of a nerd watches JUSTICE LEAGUE

dumb anime baby

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

purple death ray posted:

CS Lewis posted:

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Besesoth posted:

Thank you for the nice thought! It's really heartwarming to see so many pro-trans posters on SA these days. :glomp:

I think I'm doing the pro-trans thing wrong :psyduck:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

This was the guy whose heroine didn't get to heaven like his other protagonists, because:

quote:

"The books don't tell us what happened to Susan. She is left alive in this world at the end, having by then turned into a rather silly, conceited young woman. But there's plenty of time for her to mend and perhaps she will get to Aslan's country in the end... in her own way."

quote:

“My sister Susan,” answered Peter shortly and gravely, “is no longer a friend of Narnia.”

“Yes,” said Eustace, “and whenever you’ve tried to get her to come and talk about Narnia or do anything about Narnia, she says, ‘What wonderful memories you have! Fancy your still thinking about all those funny games we used to play when we were children.’”

“Oh, Susan!” said Jill. “She’s interested in nothing nowadays except nylons and lipstick and invitations. She always was a jolly site too keen on being grown-up.”

“Grown-up, indeed,” said the Lady Polly. “I wish she would grow up. She wasted all her school time wanting to be the age she is now, and she’ll waste all the rest of her life trying to stay that age. Her whole idea is to race on to the silliest time of one’s life as quick as she can and then stop there as long as she can.”

Because she became interested in fashion and sex, she doesn't get to go. I like CS Lewis's works as much as the next person, but I don't think he's the right person to speak about young women. I do find it strange for him to be such a proponent of childish things being good and fine for adults, when he wrote that because a girl grew up a little, she can't possibly go to his version of heaven. Young things want to grow, indeed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like Tolkien's writing on fantasy and "kid's" work a lot more. I think Narnia is a lot more explicitly "for kids", than even the Hobbit, let alone anything else Tolkien ever did, but he talks about how he's trying to recapture a sense of escapism and wonder in an adult mind, about how as a kid you'd look across the hills and dream of what was on the other side, and the real world grows more banal as you learn and grow. He argues that escapism is no bad thing for a story to be and it's plenty good to fantasize and dream as long as you don't neglect the responsibilities that you've since gained.

It's kinda how he lived his life too, most of Middle Earth was written either in the trenches or in short spurts between academic papers and semesters of teaching.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Aug 18, 2017

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That's all well and good. Counterpoint: bronies.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

eating only apples posted:

This was the guy whose heroine didn't get to heaven like his other protagonists, because:

Because she became interested in fashion and sex, she doesn't get to go. I like CS Lewis's works as much as the next person, but I don't think he's the right person to speak about young women. I do find it strange for him to be such a proponent of childish things being good and fine for adults, when he wrote that because a girl grew up a little, she can't possibly go to his version of heaven. Young things want grow, indeed.

I think that's internally consistent; Susan didn't just grow up, she was preoccupied with Being A Grown-Up. That said, this and Edgar's point about Tolkien are well-taken but Lewis's quote is the one that always comes to mind. :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Besesoth posted:

Wait not liking Stephen Universe makes me anti-trans? Gonna need to see the math on that one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

rydiafan posted:

That's all well and good. Counterpoint: bronies.

yeah well at least i got a job, hippie

e: bronies are really a whole different thing tho, gently caress them

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Besesoth posted:

I think that's internally consistent; Susan didn't just grow up, she was preoccupied with Being A Grown-Up. That said, this and Edgar's point about Tolkien are well-taken but Lewis's quote is the one that always comes to mind. :)

A British author resolved Susan's character, many years after C.S. Lewis had gone to his reward.

http://grotesqueanddecadent.tumblr.com/post/21272759751/the-problem-of-susan-by-neil-gaiman

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

spleen merchant posted:

A locust is not a close relative of a grasshopper but is a grasshopper going super saiyan under specific conditions (overcrowding - getting bumped too many times releases serotonin and they transform physically into a locust before plaguing, they can then change back into a regular grasshopper when things die down).

I'm sure I knew this before but it fell out of my head at some point.

I thought you made this up but then I looked it up and it's true :gonk:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

Wait not liking Stephen Universe makes me anti-trans? Gonna need to see the math on that one.

Nothing to do with Steven Universe, he was wishing me good luck in my future GRS plans! :v:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Just put ArtIsResistance on ignore and move on. Apparently I already had, and my decision was justified.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Arretium is Arezzo and Arminum is Rimini!!! Tuscany is the land of the Etruscans!!!

My brain understands that Italy is in the same location as the Roman Republic and its capital is Rome and it's been continually inhabited, but somehow the fact that the very same places and peoples have been there just doesn't compute.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My brain understands that Italy is in the same location as the Roman Republic and its capital is Rome and it's been continually inhabited, but somehow the fact that the very same places and peoples have been there just doesn't compute.

Goddamn but okay. What do you think about Nieuw Amsterdam/New York, etc, and the hundreds of different versions of the United States?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Besesoth posted:

Nothing to do with Steven Universe, he was wishing me good luck in my future GRS plans! :v:

Oooooooh I get it now

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Powaqoatse posted:

Goddamn but okay. What do you think about Nieuw Amsterdam/New York, etc, and the hundreds of different versions of the United States?

That's not the same, I'm aware that names change and there are different languages. Like you realize that the name Nieuw Amsterdam did not linguistically evolve into New York, it was renamed?

I just didn't realize until having it spelled out that a few big italian cities that I know as modern cities, and a few big roman cities that I know as ancient cities, were the exact same cities.

There's others that grew/shrunk into or out of obscurity, and obviously ones like Rome, Naples, and Syracuse that are obvious. But I am not linguistically skilled enough and don't stare at enough maps of Italy to connect some.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Aug 19, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's not the same, I'm aware that names change and there are different languages,

I just didn't realize until having it spelled out that a few big italian cities that I know as modern cities, and a few big roman cities, were the exact same cities.

There's others that grew/shrunk into or out of obscurity, and obviously ones like Rome, Naples, and Syracuse that are obvious. But I am not linguistically skilled enough and don't stare at enough maps of Italy to connect some.

It kindof is the same, but no worries. You're cool now that you realize that all proper nouns are different in all languages :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

Yeah but Rome is about history.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Powaqoatse posted:

It kindof is the same, but no worries. You're cool now that you realize that all proper nouns are different in all languages :)

please explain how the etymological relationship between Etruscan and Tuscany is really just the same as the political changes that led to Nieuw Amsterdam being renamed New York

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So last night apparently my mom and brother-in-law were making fun of my sister for referring to insects as "animals." Admittedly it's odd to say in a casual setting but it turns out they literally didn't know insects are animals. My dad had to Google it to prove my sister correct. This is driving me insane because it's the kind of thing you should know by kindergarten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I think it depends how you're taught. I was pretty sure "living things" was divided into "plants, animals and insects" for a long time.