Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

EdEddnEddy posted:

I may attempt to roll a Essential naked, but not without glass on its glass..

Looks like the screen itself is relatively flat out to the edge of the display, then the surface falls off with a filleted edge. Better get that tempered glass positioned juuust right. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Huawei is a piece of poo poo company and you are crazy as hell for wanting to buy their products with how they deal with their customers

Or, I've had the Mate 9 since the beginning of the year and it's arguably the best phablet you can buy and has been completely reliable.

Besides, what phone manufacturer isn't a "piece of poo poo" company to someone at this point.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mental Hospitality posted:

Or, I've had the Mate 9 since the beginning of the year and it's arguably the best phablet you can buy and has been completely reliable.

Besides, what phone manufacturer isn't a "piece of poo poo" company to someone at this point.

I don't know from Huwaei but yeah there isn't a company that hasn't been a piece of poo poo to their customers at one point.

At all.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sirbeefalot posted:

Looks like the screen itself is relatively flat out to the edge of the display, then the surface falls off with a filleted edge. Better get that tempered glass positioned juuust right. :v:

That's what it does look like. Sigh.

I don't quite understand the reason everyone is doing the just slightly curved at the edge screen. I'm not a fan of the feel and in this case, if you get a protector yet run caseless, the protector edge if it has any nano bit of lip on the edge, will catch and get gunk under it over time.

I am pretty good about getting protectors on perfectly, but this one might be a challenge....

^^ Essential Hasn't...... Yet.

One thing I don't remember seeing mentioned here yet, but I believe starting with Android 7.0... The notifications pulldown. When you have multiple notifications, and a few from the same source (text, e-mail, whatever) as you go to swipe them away, does it not really piss off anyone else when they rearrange themselves after you swipe one away and do it right as you're going for the second, causing you to swipe away something you might have wanted to tap on instead of swipe?

I don't remember having this issue with 6.X but since 7.0 I believe this happens on 3+ devices I have used it with and its downright retarded. Does it still do it for anyone that's used the Android 8.0 builds?

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 19, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019Q67ORK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_eX3Lzb3XZ9BRG

Is that one of the compliant chargers? I would rather not pay £29 direct to Google for their official one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hate you and I went back and forth on a massive probation just for using this word.

WRT Essential, I wanted to like it so much, but I'm not getting a phone with a sub-par camera after having owned my 6P. I don't even use the camera that much, but I want the pictures to look awesome and to be easy/fast to take when I do take a picture.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I've been using a loaner Galaxy Express Prime ever since my Note 4 went for a swim and I have to say I'm surprised by how usable a $60.00 piece of poo poo phone can be in 2017. Not that I would ever recommend anyone seriously looking for a phone get this thing, it's got no fingerprint sensor and it's got a tiny screen that's 5" at most. But that said it does remove any doubt that anyone looking for a phone who is not committed to a super high end Galaxy or Pixel should be more than happy with the Moto G.

Hell, I'm sure I'd be better served going with a Moto G myself, but I'm still probably going to jump on the Note 8 as soon as it launches anyways. Still, I'm impressed with what you can get in the <$100.00 range nowadays.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Thermopyle posted:

I hate you and I went back and forth on a massive probation just for using this word.

WRT Essential, I wanted to like it so much, but I'm not getting a phone with a sub-par camera after having owned my 6P. I don't even use the camera that much, but I want the pictures to look awesome and to be easy/fast to take when I do take a picture.

The one thing that turned me off the Essential was that it's probably incompatible with cases/bumpers by design and no matter what space age material it's made of glass is still glass and will break when its slippery ceramic body eventually flies off from my sweaty rear end hands

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019Q67ORK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_eX3Lzb3XZ9BRG

Is that one of the compliant chargers? I would rather not pay £29 direct to Google for their official one.

Based on the list of chargers reviewed by Benson and Nathan, I'd be hesitant to get any Choetech stuff.

That list hasn't been updated in a while, so the company may have released newer compliant stuff since then. Still, I'd recommend checking if any of the compliant chargers on that list are available where you live first.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Calaveron posted:

The one thing that turned me off the Essential was that it's probably incompatible with cases/bumpers by design and no matter what space age material it's made of glass is still glass and will break when its slippery ceramic body eventually flies off from my sweaty rear end hands

Grip tape sticks to titanium and ceramic.

Thermite melts steel beams.

What a time to be alive!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Prisma is such a great app; turns photos into instant artsy shots, even if they're sub par.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 19, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I can explain about 3 separate excuses on how that came out as Sammy and not Samsung being I typed the full word multiple times in the same post ahead of that. (But before the edits on different devices) but I'm just not going to make that mistake a second time instead.

On to the Essential camera vs 6P, I am in the same boat but being the device has a 15day return window, I figure that would be long enough to see if I can live with it and its camera (and see if the ported Google Camera works as good on it as it does on a U11 I have tried it on), as well as see if I can deal with its naked back and sides. (Already ordered a glass protector)

If the device fails to live up to my hopes I can always just wait for the Pixel XL2, and it is almost a guarantee that its camera, as well as probably most everything else is going to be optimized to hell if they plan to top their last years models.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Why do companies insist on making devices that look and feel so great? Don't they understand that I'm going to cover it in cheap Chinese plastics until it looks like it was designed by Playskool? I mean come on, why design it for the people who don't break their poo poo when they should be designing it for me, a person more accident prone than Moe from the Three Stooges?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

Why do companies insist on making devices that look and feel so great? Don't they understand that I'm going to cover it in cheap Chinese plastics until it looks like it was designed by Playskool? I mean come on, why design it for the people who don't break their poo poo when they should be designing it for me, a person more accident prone than Moe from the Three Stooges?

I, too, enjoy making disingenuous comments on the SomethingAwful dot Com.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LastInLine posted:

Shemp was the accident prone one, Moe was a victim of the other two idiots.
I'd kill for some straight up, bright rear end, Windows Phone primary colour Nokia phones.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Android 8 being released on Monday 21st August TYOOL 2017.

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-eclipse-event-794452/

You know, for Pixel etc.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I do hope you can hide the background apps notification in the final version

I know you can reduce its priority to the point it only shows in the drop down, but it's still such a dumb thing

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, I've just been using Open Camera as my default camera app on my 6P, since I like the granularity of options and being able to save the RAWs. Reminds me of my old point-and-shoot. But I guess I'm a chump and should just be using the stock Google Camera App, then?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Unless you're a legit pro, Google's post-processing is better than anything you can do with the RAWs.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The stock 6P camera app is almost the same as the Pixels. (I believe it's the same hardware) Outside of being a bit slower, and with HDR+ turned on, it takes really, really good photos.

So yes, use the stock app a bit with HDR+ turned on and see how it does.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Android Oclipse is coming out today!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Android Oclipse is coming out today!

I can't wait for Android Orangina!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Android Organs Developer Preview 4 is makings battery life on my Google Pixel much gooder. I hope the final release is even better. 91 minus now.

https://www.android.com/eclipse/#eclipse

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 21, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's a hell of lot smaller too, I gained a good gb of storage on my 5x

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's Oreo, surprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiW2k-80Ruo

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Andromeda was canceled to pay for the licensing rights to oreo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder when they're going to release Google Lens finally. It's kinda been hyped up at Google IO, and nothing's happening.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Wait, was that the entire stream? :laffo:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

Wait, was that the entire stream? :laffo:

Seriously, wtf Google.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The eclipse turns into an Oreo with a cape, hands out milk, stream starts buffering (but it's over), links go to a 404

It's here and looking good!!

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Factory images for Nexus/Pixel devices are available if you swing that way: https://developer.android.com/about/versions/o/download.html

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How do we Pixel Warriors install it now? It's not auto updating from Developer Preview 4. Is the download link

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/o/download.html

for the final release?

Edit :lol:

Edit 2: Any way to install it now without using a computer? Won't be home for a few days and the wife's laptop doesn't have USB C and I don't carry my adaptor :cry:

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 21, 2017

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Picture in picture? Wow, 1980s tv technology in my smartphone. Well, not my smartphone because the nexus 6 doesn't get it but hey. Guess I'm stuck with boring old screen splitting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Typically, they update the dev preview to final after the OTA finishes. That's why I never use the dev preview on a device I use a lot.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
How long does Verizon historically hold up OTA updates like this on the Pixel?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mogomra posted:

How long does Verizon historically hold up OTA updates like this on the Pixel?

0ms

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wheres my goddamn ota :mad:

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Is installing 8.0 right now a good idea? I haven't heard much scary from the developer previews but I haven't been on Android through a major release before either!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Tivac posted:

Is installing 8.0 right now a good idea? I haven't heard much scary from the developer previews but I haven't been on Android through a major release before either!

Much like every release, there's likely to be something that is broken. Hopefully not bluetooth but chances are unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tivac posted:

Did you get a Pixel? If so, install it as soon as it pops up as an OTA! No need to wait :) If you have another phone, you'll have to wait until that OEM releases their update, sadly