Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Weeping Wound posted:

his WORLD IS A gently caress and DEATH IS CERTAIN themes appeal to me

Same. Millennium Actress on the other hand is quite bittersweet and just a beautiful film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Orcs were the military industrial complex and I'm not even kidding

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Virtually everything by Miyazaki is left libertarian(often with strong environmentalist themes), I would also put Satoshi Kon firmly in the left but not explicitly so.

Paranoia Agent seems to be one of the few animes I've ever seen that have pointed out the infantilization of kawaii culture as bad but still managed to say, "and gently caress nationalism too, though," instead of descending into a hellhole of ubermensch philosophy. Part of why it's my favorite.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Paranoia Agent seems to be one of the few animes I've ever seen that have pointed out the infantilization of kawaii culture as bad but still managed to say, "and gently caress nationalism too, though," instead of descending into a hellhole of ubermensch philosophy. Part of why it's my favorite.

if only he had stuck around long enough to see it blossom into our current reality :smith:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

where does boogiepop phantom fall on the left-right axis?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ENHANCE IMAGE

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Has anyone mentioned Akumetsu yet?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
gatchaman crowds imo

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Condiv posted:

this is all you need to know about one piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo6ttGeEG8E

Yeah, I remember that good poo poo from my childhood.

I've tried to read the manga a few times but my natural tendency is to wait for something to finish before I start it because I hate waiting years to check up on something again only to forgot almost all of what's happened (see Berserk) which is only compounded by something as nightmarishly long as One Piece

I've heard it's finishing soon? Can any goon confirm or deny this?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i dunno if one piece is ending, but no worries

jojo is the best of all animes, and it may never end

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Condiv posted:

i dunno if one piece is ending, but no worries

Whitebeard was halfway point.

Calibanibal posted:

ENHANCE IMAGE

Dragon Ball is Communist as gently caress.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jazerus posted:

no no see the orcs were intrinsically bad, corrupted versions of elves with no redeeming qualities

and this is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like the racist trope of the curse of ham, not at all *whistles merrily while walking away*

Nah Tolkein straight up went "that was poo poo of me i gotta do SOMETHING there" but died before he entirely worked out what that something was.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

etalian posted:

Way are these fuckers so obsessed with protecting monuments that honor a bunch of traitorous racist losers.
Just think LePage as a ProtoTrump, makes things easier.

Also I think it's more of for him it's Monument = History, no matter how you paint it.
He says he's not racist
http://www.pressherald.com/2011/01/16/jamaican-joined-lepage-household-as-teen_2011-01-16/

quote:

“And if they want, they can look at my family picture,” LePage said Friday of the NAACP. “My son happens to be black, so they can do whatever they’d like about it.”

So between Racist and rear end in a top hat, if he's not racist as he says then he must be quantifiably of the latter.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

ThndrShk2k posted:

So between Racist and rear end in a top hat, if he's not racist as he says then he must be quantifiably of the latter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouCEzhH2bro

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shear Modulus posted:

nobody likes wizards because their turn always takes like twenty minutes and they make everyone wait

iawp

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shear Modulus posted:

super mario is well-known to be bolshevik

a man in red who is a plumber (the common laborer) fights king bowser (the aristocracy) to rescue the princess (the right to rule)

some mushrooms have class consciousness and are good and others are tools of the czar and are bad

mario recovers coins that are ensconced in blocks by the greedy rich instead of being continually recirculated to keep the economy running

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

mario recovers coins that are ensconced in blocks by the greedy rich instead of being continually recirculated to keep the economy running

what are the koopa supposed to be

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One Piece managed to do a surprisingly nuanced take on racism and the nature of hatred, involving super-strong fish-men. A prince rightfully expresses horror when he learns that a villain has developed such a deep hatred for another race that he'll cause massive harm to his own kind for even showing sympathy despite never even personally suffering at the hands of the other, because it means the system has broken so drat hard

Though one shouldn't mistake everything the protagonists do for being condoned by the author, since they outright admit they're not interested in being 'heroes' (though they do have a definition of hero that is admirable) and mostly fight bad guys because they're in the way and pissing them off.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

in ronin warriors, the power is in the armor (proletarian revolution)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Squizzle posted:

ronin warriors was awesome when i watched it

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Condiv posted:

ronin warriors was awesome when i watched it

:same:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grondoth posted:

Orcs were the military industrial complex and I'm not even kidding

nah, sauron and saruman were the military industrial complex

orcs were the working class

ThndrShk2k posted:

Just think LePage as a ProtoTrump, makes things easier.

Also I think it's more of for him it's Monument = History, no matter how you paint it.
He says he's not racist
http://www.pressherald.com/2011/01/16/jamaican-joined-lepage-household-as-teen_2011-01-16/

isn't this the same guy who said 90+% of drug dealers were black?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dreddout posted:

"soon" is like 4 years, at minimum

they're about at the end of an arc. after that there's probably threeish major arcs. given odas pace, these are probably gonna be like 2+ years each

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

sometimes i think about starting one piece and then i look at the art and early/late art comparisons and go naaaah

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Grapher

Speed Grapher is an anime about a war photographer getting freaky powers of making poo poo he takes a picture of explode, which he doesn't like because well, war is hosed up and he just wants to take regular pictures.

He uses this to rescue the girl that a bunch of rich people worship (who through anime powers somehow gave him his power through a kiss) and then has to defend himself against the rich people that are going after him.

It ends with the world crashing into a financial crisis of some sort.

I'd recommend watching it if you have the chance and like anime.

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Has anyone mentioned Akumetsu yet?
I love that manga.
Wolf Guy was pretty good by the same artist/writer duo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

UHD posted:

what are the koopa supposed to be

http://i.imgur.com/1UopFEU.gifv

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

One Piece managed to do a surprisingly nuanced take on racism and the nature of hatred, involving super-strong fish-men. A prince rightfully expresses horror when he learns that a villain has developed such a deep hatred for another race that he'll cause massive harm to his own kind for even showing sympathy despite never even personally suffering at the hands of the other, because it means the system has broken so drat hard

Though one shouldn't mistake everything the protagonists do for being condoned by the author, since they outright admit they're not interested in being 'heroes' (though they do have a definition of hero that is admirable) and mostly fight bad guys because they're in the way and pissing them off.

the one piece heroes are chaotic good, the Anarchist alignment
they explicitly declare war on a comically authoritarian government ruled by inbred slaveowners and it is established early that All Cops Are Bad
it's good but will probably not end for another ten drat years

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

holy loving :lol:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Squizzle posted:

i had one of the toys that had springs in the arms that was cool as heck

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Main Paineframe posted:

isn't this the same guy who said 90+% of drug dealers were black?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dta6PiTEloA&t=12s

90+% in his book/binder of womendrug dealers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IGDCGdFCqY

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Aug 19, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

etalian posted:

Way are these fuckers so obsessed with protecting monuments that honor a bunch of traitorous racist losers.

they want to have monuments built to remember their lovely accomplishments too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the one piece heroes are chaotic good, the Anarchist alignment
they explicitly declare war on a comically authoritarian government ruled by inbred slaveowners and it is established early that All Cops Are Bad
it's good but will probably not end for another ten drat years

Also, drag queens are allies to the revolution

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://youtu.be/xj2oSzhgp_8

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fuckin' holograms, how do they work?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

It was actually a surprisingly intelligent take on racism for a comic in a nation that is 99% ethnically homogeneous. Though I've heard that the anime pussed out on the message the manga had.

Dreddout posted:

Yeah, I remember that good poo poo from my childhood.

I've tried to read the manga a few times but my natural tendency is to wait for something to finish before I start it because I hate waiting years to check up on something again only to forgot almost all of what's happened (see Berserk) which is only compounded by something as nightmarishly long as One Piece

There are 800+ episodes and chapters. If you reach/watch two a day it could very well be finished by the time you reach the end.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

howard dean schills for corporate dems and whines about purity tests on joy reid's show and dore roasts him for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSszSsY9f1w

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

sup succ, are we ready for the zucc 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

It was actually a surprisingly intelligent take on racism for a comic in a nation that is 99% ethnically homogeneous. Though I've heard that the anime pussed out on the message the manga had.

There are 800+ episodes and chapters. If you reach/watch two a day it could very well be finished by the time you reach the end.

Likely, though it might depend on the translation. I like that it shows different reactions to discrimination; Arlong literally builds his own version of a Jim Crow-esque society with the roles reversed, Jinbei takes lessons to heart and tries to bridge the two races acting both within and outside the law when necessary, Otohime worked her tail off to both end the discrimination and reform the racism on both sides with mixed success, and Hody, who's had the least exposure to what the racial discrimination is actually like (though grew up surrounded by its victims) goes full Nazi.

And hell, the whole thing came to a head literally because of an ignored underclass of angry, violent young men, and the authorities identified the problem after the fash was bashed and set about reintegrating them into society.

Also, you must read hella slow.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

if he was from the south it'd make sense but it's just baffling when yankees do it

my culture is not your fashion accessory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hody, who's had the least exposure to what the racial discrimination is actually like (though grew up surrounded by its victims) goes full Nazi.

And hell, the whole thing came to a head literally because of an ignored underclass of angry, violent young men, and the authorities identified the problem after the fash was bashed and set about reintegrating them into society.

It's frightening how relevant Hody is to the alt-right hate. Obvious Hody is on the discriminated side, but despite having his lifestyle not being effected by the humans one bit, he hates them more than anyone else solely because he loves to hate.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also, you must read hella slow.

Shh. I realize you'll be reading more than two chapters a day but I'm trying to convince him to jump in anyway.

• Locked thread