Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The militia were idiots to bring their guns. All they can do with them is kill people or lose them, neither of which helps during a protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
you ever see that video of gaddafi

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Zeroisanumber posted:

The militia were idiots to bring their guns. All they can do with them is kill people or lose them, neither of which helps during a protest.

The problem isn't that they're idiots. The problem is that they're going to keep doing it, and they have mostly decided that "antifa" is the enemy while silently aligning with the white supremacists.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

gonna lmao really hard if these shows of force end up getting the 2nd amendment dialed back

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you ever see black hawk down

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The problem isn't that they're idiots. The problem is that they're going to keep doing it, and they have mostly decided that "antifa" is the enemy while silently aligning with the white supremacists.

They're already white supremacists.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

yeah, there were some articles about some of the militia types going :yikes: so the ones who show up are going to be the ones who think this is the beginning of the RaHoWa

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

They're already white supremacists.

Here is an expert saying wrong:

https://twitter.com/egavactip/status/898312522423468032

The militia types are more the sovcit group. They definitely have separate origins from raw white supremacists.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

they just also happen to believe that america is a white christian nation for white christians

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I really dont think enough counter protestors have realized that the game has changed since Charlottesville. Coming with sticks isn't going to do much when quasi-organized militias start responding with lethal force. I think the fact that libertarian militia movements are just now starting to openly fuse with white supremacists movements has vastly raised the stakes recently. One of these events is going to have a death toll in the large numbers of digits if this isn't addressed.

http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2017/08/armed-militias-wont-stop-after-charlottesville-and-worries-law-enforcement/140335/

Militia members arguing that they were in their right to shoot someone but exercised restraint.

there was a lot of crossover between groups in the 90s. the Turner Diaries is basically a militia fantasy.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

the trump tutelage posted:

I love reading poo poo like this now when just a few months ago anyone who warned against normalizing political violence was chewed out on these dead gay forums. I'm loving shocked that the whole "punch a quote-unquote nazi" thing helped mobilize a bunch of literal nazis instead of cowing the alt-right into silence. Who could have known???
i love hot takes like this that pretend 2k8 never happened

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The militia types are more the sovcit group. They definitely have separate origins from raw white supremacists.

Uhhh, a huge portion of the militia/SovCit types trace their origins to Posse Commitatus:

Wikipedia posted:

The Posse Comitatus (Latin, "force of the county")[1] is a loosely organized, far-right social movement in the United States starting in the late 1960s, whose members spread a conspiracy-minded, anti-government and anti-Semitic message in the name of white Christians to counter what they believe is an attack on their social and political rights.[2]

Many Posse members practice survivalism and played a role in the formation of the armed citizens' militias in the 1990s. The Posse Comitatus pioneered the use of false liens and other types of "paper terrorism" to harass opponents with frivolous legal actions.[3]

This is why no one was surprised when Bundy started spouting off racist nonsense after the conclusion of the first Bundy Ranch standoff, the entire SovCit movement has always been a veil for white supremacy. The origins of the militia movement are not in any conceivable way separable from white supremacy (there is a reason The turner Diaries are sold at gun shows). What are you even talking about?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I don't know that guy, but if he's studied them then I can believe it.

Still quite a few racist-rear end militias out there.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Here is Rachel Maddow breaking down the White Supremacist roots of the SovCit, militia, and Posse Comitatus movements. I don't know who that guy you are quoting is but he is making a weird distinction between these groups that has never existed in reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVfZh1iDCYs

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

Uhhh, a huge portion of the militia/SovCit types trace their origins to Posse Commitatus:

This is why no one was surprised when Bundy started spouting off racist nonsense after the conclusion of the first Bundy Ranch standoff, the entire SovCit movement has always been a veil for white supremacy. The origins of the militia movement are not in any conceivable way separable from white supremacy (there is a reason The turner Diaries are sold at gun shows). What are you even talking about?

I'm citing an expert on extremism, so I think the assumption here is that you're talking about the section of groups that overlap on the venn diagram, and that's not the whole thing. I know at least one domestic terrorist with a record stretching back to 1987 was at Charlottesville, however one of the main militias there was the Pennsylvania Light Foot Militia which is much newer.

From 2008 to 2010, the amount of militias increased by about 8x according to the SPLC:

https://www.splcenter.org/active-antigovernment-groups-united-states

If you have literature demonstrating that this new influx of groups are tied to the older militias of the 90s, I would be glad to read it. This stuff is mostly a new area of interest to me.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I'm citing an expert on extremism, so I think the assumption here is that you're talking about the section of groups that overlap on the venn diagram, and that's not the whole thing. I know at least one domestic terrorist with a record stretching back to 1987 was at Charlottesville, however one of the main militias there was the Pennsylvania Light Foot Militia which is much newer.

From 2008 to 2010, the amount of militias increased by about 8x according to the SPLC:

If you have literature demonstrating that this new influx of groups are tied to the older militias of the 90s, I would be glad to read it. This stuff is mostly a new area of interest to me.

What happened in 2008?

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

What happened in 2008?

gay black muslim president??

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Zeroisanumber posted:

What happened in 2008?

Obama freaked em out

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

What happened in 2008?

A black president that had a dubious stance (to 2A absolutions) on gun rights got elected. If you want to lead this into "The president is black" you're going to have to cite some evidence to back up that causality.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Please show me an example of a "pure" SovCit group that has no ties to White supremacy. According to your expert it should be relatively trivial to do so.
Edit:

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

A black president that had a dubious stance (to 2A absolutions) on gun rights got elected. If you want to lead this into "The president is black" you're going to have to cite some evidence to back up that causality.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Aug 19, 2017

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

Please show me an example of a "pure" SovCit group that has no ties to White supremacy. According to your expert it should be relatively trivial to do so.

https://www.facebook.com/Pennsylvania-Light-Foot-Militia-Laurel-Highlands-Ghost-Company-1436871993221463/

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

What happened in 2008?
turns out when you help yourself to the middle class's economic perks and futures a good chunk of them decide that going fash is how they're gonna get them back

Slow-Scan Shep has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Aug 19, 2017

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I think in your terms, there are two separate narratives here:

- The white supremacist groups have a primary inner narative of creating a white ethonostate
- The libertarian militia groups have a primary inner narrative of destroying the government

I think they will readily compact together and become much more malignant. I think the groups in 2008-2010 were slightly divorced or the white supremacist narrative was more subdued, and it will be resurfacing now.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

SPLC Good enough for you here?

SPLC in July 2009 posted:

In this report, SPLC investigates the resurgence of the antigovernment militia movement across the country, which has been fueled by fears of a black man in the White House, the changing demographics of the country, and conspiracy theories increasingly spread by mainstream figures.

The 1990s saw the rise and fall of the virulently antigovernment "Patriot" movement, made up of paramilitary militias, tax defiers and so-called "sovereign citizens." Sparked by a combination of anger at the federal government and the deaths of political dissenters at Ruby Ridge, Idaho, and Waco, Texas, the movement took off in the middle of the decade and continued to grow even after 168 people were left dead by the 1995 bombing of Oklahoma City's federal building — an attack, the deadliest ever by domestic U.S. terrorists, carried out by men steeped in the rhetoric and conspiracy theories of the militias. In the years that followed, a truly remarkable number of criminal plots came out of the movement. But by early this century, the Patriots had largely faded, weakened by systematic prosecutions, aversion to growing violence, and a new, highly conservative president.

They're back. Almost a decade after largely disappearing from public view, right-wing militias, ideologically driven tax defiers and sovereign citizens are appearing in large numbers around the country. "Paper terrorism" — the use of property liens and citizens' "courts" to harass enemies — is on the rise. And once-popular militia conspiracy theories are making the rounds again, this time accompanied by nativist theories about secret Mexican plans to "reconquer" the American Southwest. One law enforcement agency has found 50 new militia training groups — one of them made up of present and former police officers and soldiers. Authorities around the country are reporting a worrying uptick in Patriot activities and propaganda. "This is the most significant growth we've seen in 10 to 12 years," says one. "All it's lacking is a spark. I think it's only a matter of time before you see threats and violence."

A key difference this time is that the federal government — the entity that almost the entire radical right views as its primary enemy — is headed by a black man. That, coupled with high levels of non-white immigration and a decline in the percentage of whites overall in America, has helped to racialize the Patriot movement, which in the past was not primarily motivated by race hate. One result has been a remarkable rash of domestic terror incidents since the presidential campaign, most of them related to anger over the election of Barack Obama. At the same time, ostensibly mainstream politicians and media pundits have helped to spread Patriot and related propaganda, from conspiracy theories about a secret network of U.S. concentration camps to wholly unsubstantiated claims about the president's country of birth.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
These movements have a huge amount of overlap but there are some pretty hard delinagions between certain parts. For instance there is the "Moorish" sovereign citizen movement which is basically an Afrocentric sovereign citizen movement and obviously isn't white supremacist at all.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

You are trolling here right? Did you even click on that link before you posted it? That militia is 100% white males and not only did they attend Charlottesville but people in their page are calling them out for harassing clergy at the protests.

This is your goto example of a SovCit group with no ties to white supremacism?

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 03:33 on Aug 19, 2017

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I found this which I'm going through now: http://scholarship.law.unc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4744&context=nclr

quote:

Sovereign citizens (“sovereigns”) can be traced back to a number of radical rightist groups, namely the Posse Comitatus, tax protestors, and more generally, the modern militia movement. These groups share fervent anti-government sentiments, often racist beliefs, and tactics such as abusing the court system to harass public officials. The similarities between contemporary sovereign citizens and the Posse Comitatus, tax protestors, or militias often render them indistinguishable at first glance; however, upon closer inspection it becomes clear that sovereign citizens arose out of these three distinct groups.

These groups are

Posse Comitatus posted:

...A “racist, anti-Semitic, antitax group that believe[d] there [was] no legitimate form of government beyond the county level.”

“paper terrorism”: filing false liens against bankers, IRS agents, police officers, and other public officials.3

Tax Protestors posted:

Tax protestors are a group of anti-government individuals who believe the income tax is illegitimate. Unlike the Posse Comitatus, the tax protestor movement has “no common theological, philosophical, or racial beliefs”; rather, they subscribe to anti-tax theories that are promulgated through books, manuals, and, more recently, the Internet by for-profit theorists.

Militia Movements posted:

Militias were, at their zenith, bound together by common membership in the Christian Identity movement. Despite this common membership, not all militias held the same racist beliefs as members of Christian Identity; indeed, some militias in the early 1990s eschewed explicit racism. However, by 1994, it became clear that the “links between the [militia] movement as a whole and the haters and racists of America were strong,” despite the efforts of the more tolerant militias.

In addition to objecting to the purported takeover of the U.S. government by agents of the New World Order or the installation of a shadow government broadly, most modern militias believe that the corrupted government has expanded impermissibly. Particularly, militia members tend to object to the Fourteenth Amendment, income tax, and any gun control legislation.49 Militias are driven by the belief that it is their job to return U.S. government to what they believe are the ideals of its founders. They believe that resistance, including by violent means, is right and righteous

So yes, it is correct to link a lot of these back to Posse Comitatus but there were unrelated groups that fall both in and outside of the white supremacist camps. The narrative of these groups can range from white/christian supremacy to repeal/nonparticipation in taxes/citations (such as income tax) to gun control, etc...

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

SHOW ME A SOVCIT DAT AINT RACIST NOW DO IT NOW

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I found this which I'm going through now: http://scholarship.law.unc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4744&context=nclr

These groups are

So yes, it is correct to link a lot of these back to Posse Comitatus but there were unrelated groups that fall both in and outside of the white supremacist camps. The narrative of these groups can range from white/christian supremacy to repeal/nonparticipation in taxes/citations (such as income tax) to gun control, etc...

According to this the groups would seem to be far more interwoven and harder to practically separate than that earlier Venn diagram indicates. While it is true that some of the groups did have separate roots and there are a few one offs, broadly the movement is (and always has been) quite explicitly racist.

Especially at present where groups like the Oathkeepers have split over one of their members trying to arm black people during Ferguson.

Edit: I guess what I am really driving at here is that non-racist miltias/SovCits are the exception to the rule and you have to go out of your way to find them. I feel it is a bit disingenuous to present the racism as a component of a few groups instead of being very nearly the lowest common denominator.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Aug 19, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
With militia groups it's just a matter of how overtly racist they are. I'm sure there's some that aren't necessarily racist and even have diverse members, but I'd bet they're in the stark minority.

SovCits of any stripe tend to be really weird and seem to be more proactive outgrowths of conspiracy theorists.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Inescapable Duck posted:

With militia groups it's just a matter of how overtly racist they are. I'm sure there's some that aren't necessarily racist and even have diverse members, but I'd bet they're in the stark minority.
SovCits of any stripe tend to be really weird and seem to be more proactive outgrowths of conspiracy theorists.

I very much agree. Modern conspiracy theorists are very much an outgrowth of the John Birch Societies Blue Book of the John Birch Society- which is itself essentially copy-pasted Russian antisemitism with the word "commie" replacing "Jew". (Alex Jones for example claims that the Blue Book is what set him on his path and much of his early material was based around its themes.)

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 04:01 on Aug 19, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
While an ideological mix, the militias seem generally defensive oriented. The Malheur occupation seemed pretty atypical and the militias by and large are more "get off my land" types. The conflict over the Bundy Ranch involved whether the federal government had authority over public land in Nevada. The caveat here is you get the mix between militias, neo-Nazis and SovCits.

Still different I think from the neo-Nazi groups which want to wage aggressive war. I believe the militias when they say they want to act as "peacekeepers" but they're woefully unprepared to do it and it comes across as cosplaying.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

According to this the groups would seem to be far more interwoven and harder to practically separate than that earlier Venn diagram indicates. While it is true that some of the groups did have separate roots and there are a few one offs, broadly the movement is (and always has been) quite explicitly racist.

Especially at present where groups like the Oathkeepers have split over one of their members trying to arm black people during Ferguson.

Edit: I guess what I am really driving at here is that non-racist miltias/SovCits are the exception to the rule and you have to go out of your way to find them. I feel it is a bit disingenuous to present the racism as a component of a few groups instead of being very nearly the lowest common denominator.

Yeah I feel almost like the presentation of that original claim as a Venn-Diagram is just a poor choice after reading this. While a lot of them may have diverged in purpose from Christian/White supremacy, it's still very much there and latent. I think as they start to intermingle with the confluence made by the memelords, kkk, and militias, the tendencies of the other groups will be quickly activated in each. I feel like we're in for a real powder keg of a time because of that.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

idk what all this nitpicking is but if you stand and march with nazis u deserve whatever poo poo u get

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I cant think of a bigger bunch of cowardly fucks than those ford dealership militia nazi's who are the SAFEST, MOST COMFORTABLE, MOST MATERIALLY WELL OF AND LEAST THREATENED PEOPLE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH but are in such a state of cowardice they have to bring their high powered assault rifles to a loving demonstration these cowardly fucks wouldnt last twelve seconds in any actual stress situation.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Yeah I feel almost like the presentation of that original claim as a Venn-Diagram is just a poor choice after reading this. While a lot of them may have diverged in purpose from Christian/White supremacy, it's still very much there and latent. I think as they start to intermingle with the confluence made by the memelords, kkk, and militias, the tendencies of the other groups will be quickly activated in each. I feel like we're in for a real powder keg of a time because of that.
Perhaps but I think it's more likely the militias will seek distance between themselves and the neo-Nazi groups.

Al-Saqr posted:

I cant think of a bigger bunch of cowardly fucks than those ford dealership militia nazi's who are the SAFEST, MOST COMFORTABLE, MOST MATERIALLY WELL OF AND LEAST THREATENED PEOPLE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH but are in such a state of cowardice they have to bring their high powered assault rifles to a loving demonstration these cowardly fucks wouldnt last twelve seconds in any actual stress situation.
Yeah. They got pelted with rocks when entering a mostly black neighborhood, from what I saw. Then they backed off. The thing is, I'm not sure whether they were trying to intimidate the locals or whether it was some stupid miscalculation on their part and was perceived that way.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Aug 19, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

you ever see black hawk down

wasn't like a good third of the dialogue in that racial slurs

idk i'm mostly pissed that it won the oscar for best editing over memento

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wasn't like a good third of the dialogue in that racial slurs

idk i'm mostly pissed that it won the oscar for best editing over memento

it's because it came out after 9/11 and it featured killing blacks and browns.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

You know the Alex Jones Coffee Thrower?

He's in the local speed metal band BlöödHag.

:black101:

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2017/08/18/watch-bloodhag-vocalist-throws-coffee-alex-jones-seattle/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Calibanibal posted:

SHOW ME A SOVCIT DAT AINT RACIST NOW DO IT NOW

The few Oathkeepers that went to Ferguson and were like "The situation here is literally why we have the 2nd Amendment and we need to get these people access to guns and training".