Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Flatscan posted:

Did you miss the bit at the end where it shows Matt being very much not dead?

Evidently so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
so i watched the whole thing on my phone and wnat to double check the end bits:

Danny gets tricked like a fricking moron into powering up his iron fist which , being a crappy fighter, he lets elektra drive into the wall and unlocks it, then passes out?
And then when he comes to, it's a big tunnel that's actually...the inside of a dragon that they're harvesting for life force?

also it's weird as hell that black sky/elektra is totally nonthreatening for a long while then all of a sudden can beat everyone at once.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

mastershakeman posted:

so i watched the whole thing on my phone and wnat to double check the end bits:

Danny gets tricked like a fricking moron into powering up his iron fist which , being a crappy fighter, he lets elektra drive into the wall and unlocks it, then passes out?
And then when he comes to, it's a big tunnel that's actually...the inside of a dragon that they're harvesting for life force?

also it's weird as hell that black sky/elektra is totally nonthreatening for a long while then all of a sudden can beat everyone at once.

Come to think of it, was the entire skeleton encased in Iron Fist- approved concrete? They only showed a 6-foot stretch of it, and it looked like a corner at that. How come they didnt' excavate the entire skeleton?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Best of the Marvel Netflix shows easily especially with No Kilgrave or Punisher.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Everything turns to poo poo as soon as Danny Rand touches down in NYC. A subtle nod to the Netflix show Iron Fist

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hot take: I liked Danny a lot in this. Like, a lot.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

esperterra posted:

Hot take: I liked Danny a lot in this. Like, a lot.

why

if you're gonna have a teamup of 4 people better off putting him on the bench with claire to heal people and have colleen do the fighting. he's the worst fighter of the group

late ep spoiler:
and also yes, the one most in need of protection. Stick was Right.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I found it loving hilarious in Ep 3 when Stick showed up with his bloody stump and he asks where the Fist is.

Dude, you left it on the floor. With The Hand

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

As Nero Danced posted:

Come to think of it, was the entire skeleton encased in Iron Fist- approved concrete? They only showed a 6-foot stretch of it, and it looked like a corner at that. How come they didnt' excavate the entire skeleton?

When Matt and Jessica look at the architect's survey of the bedrock beneath Midland, there's a dome-like structure jutting out of the strata at the bottom of the pit. Presumably the entire dragon tomb was encased in a sphere

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I really didn't dig it. It wasn't IF bad, but the plot, writing, dialogue, cinematography, and fight scenes were a mess.

As others have pointed out, the big bad Weallain didn't do anything, and they should probably just have centred and developed Elektra more. I love Yung's Elektra, but we only saw what was good about her for a few minutes. Stick always delivers.

I'm still holding out hope for DD3/JJ2, but the overall quality has just been slipping in general, and I hope Marvelflix realize as much.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

No seriously, The Hand are super incompetent including their leadership.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Also, why is it a running theme that people always get the drop on Danny even though they're literally within either his peripheral vision or earshot in very quiet or echo-y rooms. Why is this a thing?

Did he lose his hearing from listening to his fifteen iPod tracks or what?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mastershakeman posted:

why

if you're gonna have a teamup of 4 people better off putting him on the bench with claire to heal people and have colleen do the fighting. he's the worst fighter of the group

I never had a big issue with Danny in IF, personally. I went into it knowing it would have poo poo writing and plotting due to being Scott Buck, so it made me a little more forgiving. In that show the moments I found Danny endearing were the rare times it leaned into him being so serious about the mystical aspects of the story and coming off as a big goof talking nonsense.

With Defenders leaning more into the supernatural poo poo it gives us a lot of those moments. Like when he corrects Whip Snake that he's not meditating!! He's focusing because he needs to be constantly prepared to fight this mysterious warrior who could strike at any moment!!

It's silly kung fu poo poo, and it tickles me. Plus he plays well off Luke, which honestly is the most important thing to get right with Danny imho. Their bromance is more important to me than a JJ/LC endgame.

It isn't perfect or amazing, but I like Finn Jones and he has certainly improved under a different production crew.

e: you're right about him being the 'worst' fighter in the group, but at least they're playing it off as part of the schtick now that, as far as iron fists go, he's one of the worst

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I enjoyed the Jessica/Matt stuff a lot more than Danny/Luke to be honest. I thought they played off each other really well.

My pick for best chemistry, though, still goes to Misty and Claire for all that I don't think they've ever talked to each other about anything but Luke.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cythereal posted:

I enjoyed the Jessica/Matt stuff a lot more than Danny/Luke to be honest. I thought they played off each other really well.

My pick for best chemistry, though, still goes to Misty and Claire for all that I don't think they've ever talked to each other about anything but Luke.

Same re: the Jessica/Matt stuff being more fun than the Luke/Danny stuff. My point wasn't so much that it was my fave part of the show, just that I was relieved those two ended up meshing well together. With the poo poo production IF had it was hard to tell how much of the bad was Jones or the writing, and I was super underwhelmed by Colter's performance in LC compared to his stint on JJ.

In general I'm pleasantly surprised with how the core 4 meshed with one another. Though it was almost more fun seeing all of the shows' secondary characters interacting.

e: Misty/Jessica was a lot of fun, too.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
This opening fight scene isn't bad so much as its hilariously overdramatic. I didn't know the Matrix was back in style again.

That whole thing made me miss DeKnight so much though, sigh.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Also this opening theme is bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:agreed:

also :agreed: re: deknight

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
ep 3: Not a big deal, but i call a little bullshit on that. Matt should know Jessica followed him and took pictures.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
oh my god gently caress off with this bad Matt/Karen poo poo :piss:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Officially tired of the spinning camera shtick

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

HIJK posted:

Officially tired of the spinning camera shtick

At least it isn't a panorama view of Times Square

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

At least it isn't a panorama view of Times Square

that was a one-off this is all over the pilot episode

e: at last, cooking scenes, that's what I want in my action superhero show

CONSTANTINOPLE this is so hamfisted

HIJK fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 19, 2017

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

HIJK posted:

that was a one-off this is all over the pilot episode series.

FTFY.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
There's good scenes here but everything is so melodramatic and over the top, it's aggressively mediocre. This is Heroes season 4 level of scripting.

efff my life

e: I actually find it a little offensive at how much Sigourney Weaver is being wasted here.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 19, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
shouts to them putting the yellow filter and finding the most blackity rear end black music they could find whenever Luke Cage is on screen in Harlem.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
whats funny is that (end of season spoilers)
nothing they're doing is really that bad for new york. so they find open up the dragon box to get some dragon blood and keep their lives going. big woop. as far as anyone even knew, they hadn't run out of the dragon blood in the first place . beyond repeatedly saying 'new york will fall' they aren't actually doing anything directly threatening to new york at any point. if none of the 4 , and especially danny, had ever done anything, it all would've been ok.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People say that they get sick of the Marvel movies for it being full of quips or everyone being snarky but boy am I finding my real bugbear.

loving tell people what you're doing. Holy poo poo, just tell them. 'Oh uh uh uh uhuh, it's complicated' 'I'm a police officer, what part of my job do you think isn't complicated? Spill.'

So tired of it. One day some villain's gonna hold a loved one up at gunpoint and they're going to run out of people to kill because not telling them would keep them safe.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HIJK posted:

Also this opening theme is bad.
Counterpoint: it feels mercifully short. DD1's intro is amazing, but I do not like fast-forwarding through any long theme.

Dexo posted:

shouts to them putting the yellow filter and finding the most blackity rear end black music they could find whenever Luke Cage is on screen in Harlem.
"[hip hop music]" in subtitles didn't help.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mastershakeman posted:

nothing they're doing is really that bad for new york. so they find open up the dragon box to get some dragon blood and keep their lives going. big woop. as far as anyone even knew, they hadn't run out of the dragon blood in the first place . beyond repeatedly saying 'new york will fall' they aren't actually doing anything directly threatening to new york at any point. if none of the 4 , and especially danny, had ever done anything, it all would've been ok.

I was under the impression the area was seismically unstable, thus the tremor at the end of episode 1 from them digging. Excavating out the entire skeleton presumably would have caused a massive sinkhole or some such.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

mastershakeman posted:

Kinda like how if Indiana Jones didn't interfere Hitler would have been killed by the Ark of the Covenant when it got to Berlin. I guess New York would have exploded somehow when they removed all the bones but they didn't explain it very well.

Hey, I just realized they were using ground up dragon bones as medicine to live longer. Chinese folk medicine works I guess.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally finished up. It was alright, above average for marvel, but the ending was a lot weaker than the start, which seems to be a trend.

Last Episode:Wow, I'm incredibly shocked that Daredevil, who is renewed for another season, didn't actually die.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ep 4 If Matt alone can go toe-to-toe with Elektra, why the hell is her entrance supposed to be so scary for the group? Especially since one guy can't even be cut by her swords? Edit: And Stick fought her off while handcuffed to a frickin' pole.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 19, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I really really tried to like this but Whole Season Spoiler This was just bad. Like yeah it had some cool moments , but overall the writing was just bad. It was literally a by the numbers " Well X has not interacted with Y so lets write a scene so they do. " the most egregious was when they were like " We gotta get everyone to safety from the hand , who have tracked down everyone , but uh.. put them in a police station in one room all together". What?? It was not even consistent , Foggy just loving left and got Matts costume but their suppose to be in protective custody? The hand want to live forever, but also they want to destroy New York, and New York is apparently precariously balanced on top of a cave with Dragon Bones? Like it's a game of Jenga? That's loving retarded.

Also, it looked like poo poo. Like it looked like a episode of Agents of Shield . Apparently EVERYTHING happens at night , in a poorly lit room. There were some okayish cool fights. It was just though pants on head retarded some times. " THATS A HOMICIDE" says Luke Cage like what? My favorite part has to be Luke Cage privilege checking idiot man child Danny Rand and Rand is reacts exactly like a idiot to it " Oh I have a company" and then they just like go to some accountant and she is like " Oh the Hand is totally there" , at least they kept it consistent with Danny just being dumb as a box of dirt. Nothing in this was consistent. Why did they need the Black Sky? Why was she important? What exactly did she do? Like all the other members of the Hand seemed pretty competent at what they were doing. Why specifically did they need that one "weapon". To do what?

I actually really liked all the other series ( except for Iron Fist)

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 19, 2017

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Watched it through in one shot. Overall, I thought it was good! But, it still lags behind DDS1 and JJ.

I have thoughts. Here is a lengthy post.

Every character feels totally consistent with who they were the last time we saw them in their respective series. This is impressive! But it isn't always a good thing.

Danny Rand is much more tolerable when he isn't center stage, but every time he's given the proverbial mic is a moment I wish someone else was talking instead. He gets a really cool moment using his billionaire connection to track Hand down to its corporate fortress, but trying to fist-fight the other three Defenders and using the Iron Fist against Elektra in E7 are standout dumbass moments, even for Rand.

I liked Matt Murdoch in every scene except the ones where he talks about Elektra or fails to explain why he's suiting up again. His chemistry with Foggy is good as ever, but Karen Page is the worst character this season by far with all her hand-wringing over Matt being a superhero - at least Foggy had a more nuanced reason to be concerned. Murdoch feeling his way through his dynamics with the other Defenders was a real highlight of the early episodes, and his scenes with Jessica are all I ever wanted out of this show.

And speaking of which, Jessica Jones. Easily the standout character, putting to rest any doubts I had that JJS2 might be lesser without Kilgrave. I feel at times it's easy to forget why she's here or that she has superpowers, but she so completely owns every scene she's key in that I stopped caring at some point. I've never liked the Hand, Stick, or Danny, and Jessica making GBS threads on all three of them constantly makes her almost the perfect audience surrogate.

Luke was Luke. I liked him a lot. He was never especially a standout, but he was never bad. In some ways, Misty Knight was a more important grab from his series, but as far as fight dynamic goes, I feel he's the most interesting of the cast. Every mook and villain is a martial artist, Matt and Danny are martial artists, and Jessica is just kind of real strong without being real tough. Luke being sturdy as a brick shithouse in every fight short of Danny or Elektra is great great great.

But, uh, geeze. I really hate the Hand. I've always hated the Hand. They weren't interesting in DDS2, they weren't interesting in IF, and they're not interesting here. Alexandra is fine, if kinda wasted, and Gao is always fun (except they decided to make her a fighter this go around, and it was lame and unconvincing), but the overall group has gone from ninjas draining blood for unknown reasons to business ninjas infighting for unknown reasons to un-immortal ninjas stopping their infighting to get immortal again. Also, the Black Sky was a thing they needed maybe? In a vaccuum, the plot is fine, if markedly plain, but in the Netflix meta, the entire history, motivation, and dynamic of the Hand and the Chaste feels really inconsistent, and the best thing to happen to that plot was getting hijacked by Elektra at the end. I really hope this is the last we've seen of them.

I didn't care for Elektra in DDS2, and making her out and out the villain rescued her, imo. I'm not sure I understand her motive, but by the time it happened, I was just on board the insane zombie lady ruining everything the Hand and Defenders were working toward out of sheer crazy. That said, it bothers me that her punches that could down Luke and Jessica didn't just obliterate Matt or Danny.

I think the fight choreography was alright, but I want to give a special shoutout to Matt, Jessica, and Luke against Gao, Bakuto, and Murakami in Episode 7; between the frequent cutting, the camera rolling down a hill, someone as old as Gao's actress being put in a kung fu movie, the claustrophobic set...At barely any point could I tell what was going on. I tell you, I heard and agreed with criticisms of IF's fights and Defenders' first episode, but man, this one. It was really terrible. Otherwise, show's fine.

I really appreciated Misty. Claire, too, but I figured she'd end up doing more than she wound up actually doing.

One thing these series consistently annoy me with is the characters' unwillingness to cross the kill line. I get it with certain characters, but sometimes it's just, like, you could have done more. JJ hitting Elektra with a car was cool. JJ traipsing past her and letting her get back up was just kind of odd. Luke punching Bakuto in the head to save Colleen was cool. Luke following up by shoving him away instead of putting him in the wall was weird.

And finally, the ending. My big worry was that Defenders wouldn't be able to stick its landing, since Marvel Netflix tends to bungle them. On the whole, I thought the last episode was very well done. I didn't see Matt and Elektra's (fakeout) death coming at all, and the resolution was reasonably sad while giving everyone a reason to keep doing the hero thing (and, by extension, making me pretty excited to keep watching).

:words:

To sum up, pretty good. Totally worth watching. Not without the usual problems that plague the Netflix series, though. I think it definitely benefited from being a leaner eight episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hollismason posted:

I really really tried to like this but Whole Season Spoiler This was just bad. Like yeah it had some cool moments , but overall the writing was just bad. It was literally a by the numbers " Well X has not interacted with Y so lets write a scene so they do. " the most egregious was when they were like " We gotta get everyone to safety from the hand , who have tracked down everyone , but uh.. put them in a police station in one room all together". What?? It was not even consistent , Foggy just loving left and got Matts costume but their suppose to be in protective custody? The hand want to live forever, but also they want to destroy New York, and New York is apparently precariously balanced on top of a cave with Dragon Bones? Like it's a game of Jenga? That's loving retarded.

Also, it looked like poo poo. Like it looked like a episode of Agents of Shield . Apparently EVERYTHING happens at night , in a poorly lit room. There were some okayish cool fights. It was just though pants on head retarded some times. " THATS A HOMICIDE" says Luke Cage like what? My favorite part has to be Luke Cage privilege checking idiot man child Danny Rand and Rand is reacts exactly like a idiot to it " Oh I have a company" and then they just like go to some accountant and she is like " Oh the Hand is totally there" , at least they kept it consistent with Danny just being dumb as a box of dirt. Nothing in this was consistent. Why did they need the Black Sky? Why was she important? What exactly did she do? Like all the other members of the Hand seemed pretty competent at what they were doing. Why specifically did they need that one "weapon". To do what?

I actually really liked all the other series ( except for Iron Fist)

is this post in english

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I'm 30 seconds in to the series and Danny Rand is already an incompetent idiot

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just finished episode 5 does this poo poo ever stop being exceedingly mediocre?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I just finished episode 5 does this poo poo ever stop being exceedingly mediocre?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Remember daredevil season 1 came out and it was good as hell and then every show since has been worse than the last and now here we are. I was so excited for the defenders when it was initially announced so long ago but goddamn they dropped the ball on these marvel Netflix shows so hard