Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Caidin posted:

New to Cold Steel here, I just finished up my June field trip so I guess that's chapter 3. I have a few questions. One, how long is Emma gonna drag out this "not a witch" thing? Two, why were the goons called dropout Jeagers if they're still mercenaries and trying to start a new Jeager company? Three, are these flashbacks Rean keeps having suggesting he murdered a bear when he was like 5 years old?

1: lol the entire loving game
2: mercs don't get to call themselves jaegers until they've done enough successful crimes
3: more or less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caidin posted:

New to Cold Steel here, I just finished up my June field trip so I guess that's chapter 3. I have a few questions. One, how long is Emma gonna drag out this "not a witch" thing? Two, why were the goons called dropout Jeagers if they're still mercenaries and trying to start a new Jeager company? Three, are these flashbacks Rean keeps having suggesting he murdered a bear when he was like 5 years old?

rean's already cottoned on and jusis calls her out on it later, rean's just too nice to push her about it. its only really relevant in that scene and once later on

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Caidin posted:

1) Just slightly beyond the start of Cold Steel II. Yes, it takes that long.

2) Because "Jaeger Dropouts" is the actual term used for mercenaries who do the kind of stuff Jaegers might be hired for, except they haven't yet built up the credentials to actually call themselves a Jaeger Corps. It's kind of a derogatory term used for folks who aren't up to professional Corps standards yet.

3) Bear-like creature and yes, that's exactly what they're suggesting. How an elementary schooler was able to completely hack apart a large creature that folks would usually hire a bracer to extermination using only a small woodcutting hatchet is something that you'll learn very, very soon.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Cool, thanks for the answers.

Erpy posted:

2) Because "Jaeger Dropouts" is the actual term used for mercenaries who do the kind of stuff Jaegers might be hired for, except they haven't yet built up the credentials to actually call themselves a Jaeger Corps. It's kind of a derogatory term used for folks who aren't up to professional Corps standards yet.

Then they would be wannabes, Dropout sounds like they flunked outta training or something. :mad:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there is no formal training

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The game after CS3 will take place in jaeger high school actually

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://clips.twitch.tv/SillyObliqueTubersDBstyle

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Caidin posted:

Cool, thanks for the answers.

Then they would be wannabes, Dropout sounds like they flunked outta training or something. :mad:

I kinda took it to mean that they washed out of a real jaėger corps, then made their own. Because real ones are kinda huge badasses, as you'll find out in CS2.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well that was worth it just for "When we fight together..." "No-one stands a chance :smug:"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Someone mentioned that you can infinite firebolt. I have Criminal+reduce fire cast+cast 2+cast 1. Is there a cast 3 or something late game I'm missing?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Diabolos Gem that you'll find in the final dungeon is Cast 3, and Criminal has to be at max level.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It's also not truly infinite since while the delay between the casting of Firebolt and your next turn is reduced to 0 due to a developer's oversight, the delay between initiating the cast and the art going off is still there, if miniscule. Luminous Ray has a similar trick to it, btw, though Firebolt is more popular since it has a chance to inflict the burn status.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there any trick to Unsurtr?

I really don't like this dungeon.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 17, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Wear anti-freeze accessories, keep your buffs up and equip speed-boosting quartz/equipment. Take advantage of evasion/insight.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
This game was pretty great, and now I really want CS2 :negative:. I'd never played any of the trails games until now, so are the 3 sky games worth picking up too?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

astr0man posted:

This game was pretty great, and now I really want CS2 :negative:. I'd never played any of the trails games until now, so are the 3 sky games worth picking up too?
combat's a bit less interesting and the plot has a slower start imo but they're definitely worth picking up if you liked cold steel, esp. with them backporting the turbo mode from the cold steel pc port into them soonish

plus you get to hang out with olivert more than you did in cs1

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
They're definitely worth picking up. In fact, you'll appreciate Cold Steel 1 and 2 more if you're familiar with their story.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Oh man finally playing. I beat the prologue. These dumb stereotypes are gonna be so complex by the end aren't they.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IMO with the addition of turbo mode the gap between the Sky and Cold Steel games in terms of gameplay is basically nonexistant, other than some minor QOL elements and the loss of some interesting aspects Cold Steel like the Master Quartz.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I dunno, I actually like Cold Steel combat (up until the point where bosses are only feasibly vulnerable to Delay) so I kinda feel like FC being 90% Aerial/Hell Gate/WHITE GEHENNA with a side helping of Earth Wall is noticeably worse than CS1 where you have to wait for the busted poo poo like Flame Impact and Delay Cyclone, at least if both games let you skip/turbo the actual animations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Billzasilver posted:

Oh man finally playing. I beat the prologue. These dumb stereotypes are gonna be so complex by the end aren't they.

The rear end in a top hat with the glasses and the shotgun? He's one of my favorite characters.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, so I beat it last night, good game.

Thoughts.

So the last two or so hours are a twistpocolypse so let's unpack that. Misty/Vita being an Ouroboros officer I saw coming, I figured she was a witch because Emma kept talking about a "her" and freaked out about smelling Lavender that one time. I kinda saw Crow coming because he had no back story and him and C were never in the same room and there had to be some reason reason an intelligence operative got shoved into class like right after the ILF went live. My other guess was Colette pulling a character portrait out of her locker.

The reformist faction spends the whole game getting a blow job about how elite the RMP is and the sheer destructive capability of mechanized warfare. Then Osborne gets his heart blown clean out of his chest, the megabase gets eaten by sorcery and the nobility reveals this was actually a mecha anime and it was fantastic.

I think they really expected me to have played that Crossbell game that never left Japan.

Thomas is a secret super badass. Maybe freelance, maybe working for one of the secret organizations, not sure. I think he's a witch and his glasses are his familiar.

If I have a gundam am I still gonna get my rear end kicked by every jerk with a dumb nickname that wanders by? Does Bleublanc have one? I bet it has a cape.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Cliffhanger ending aside (as that's par for the course with this series), I'm not sure how I feel about the game suddenly going PersonaXGundam during the last hour. I guess I'll have to reserve judgement for when C2 comes out on Steam.

On the flip side the cliffhanger ending made left me unsatisfied enough to go and play Trails in the Sky SC which I had bought but never gotten around to playing, so at least something good came out of it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Caidin posted:

Okay, so I beat it last night, good game.

Thoughts.

My other guess was Colette pulling a character portrait out of her locker.

Actually, pretty much all the named students and faculty have their own non-3D model portraits! You can see 'em in the Student Handbook.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Terper posted:

Actually, pretty much all the named students and faculty have their own non-3D model portraits! You can see 'em in the Student Handbook.

Oh, crap your right.

Dorothee looks like she could snap at any moment.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Caidin posted:

Oh, crap your right.

Dorothee looks like she could snap at any moment.

Snap open an extremely lewd boy love book, in any case.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

AG3 posted:

Cliffhanger ending aside (as that's par for the course with this series), I'm not sure how I feel about the game suddenly going PersonaXGundam during the last hour. I guess I'll have to reserve judgement for when C2 comes out on Steam.

On the flip side the cliffhanger ending made left me unsatisfied enough to go and play Trails in the Sky SC which I had bought but never gotten around to playing, so at least something good came out of it.

If you're playing SC you might wanna give a skim of some kind of FC plot summary, assuming it's been a while since you played it, since SC's story starts literally immediately after FC's ends.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Some Numbers posted:

The rear end in a top hat with the glasses and the shotgun? He's one of my favorite characters.

Yo I'm in chapter 2, why does he yell at everything and everyone

alternatively, yelling a lot is v. cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

hes had a rough go of it

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Too much caffeine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Too many NOBLES.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
An orbal shotgun can change a man.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

What everyone else said and also it let's the rest of Class VII take the piss out of him.

He gets much better in Chapter 4.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Justin_Brett posted:

Too many NOBLES.

To be honest he doesn't really seem to hate nobles as much as he is presented to.

He hates jusis tho

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Or so he claims...all the while Dorothee is writing fanfiction involving him and Jusis having passionate hate-sex.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah I thought that was implied.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Chapter 4 field study late day 2 So I was fist pumping when Olivier showed up. That's totally normal right? Really though this game needs more Olivier. Alfin teasing Elise is also amazing. I'd take more of her or Olivier. Thanks in advance Falcom.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I didn't fist pump but that's only because I hadn't played FC in like five years, ima probably woot super hard when I replay CS now that im like 80% SC.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That CG of Towa at the concert seemed very unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
How old is Towa supposed to be, anyway? Is she just really tiny?

• Locked thread