Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

[WA] Can I throw my ex's poo poo in the dumpster? (self.legaladvice)

This is actually a kind of interesting question because I've ended up with stuff people meant to "come back for" that they left at my house or whatever and I never get rid of it and some of it I think is from high school even. dang. I keep tidy but it feels so wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

that's probably one of those things that depends on the state, i bet that after a certain point there's a presumption that the person intended to abandon that property

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My[42F] husband [41M] just lost his favorite employee [26F] to a chronic problem employee [50sM] and I want to smack him for being willfully blind instead of being supportive.

quote:

I am a 42 yr old woman, married to my 41 yr old husband, "Red", married for 20 years. We have three lovely children and our marriage is rock-solid. I am writing today about a situation at my husband's job that has affected him greatly, and I'm struggling to be supportive with the facts I have.

Red is a tech executive at a powerful financial company and manages the company's top teams of developers and business analysts. He is extremely well-respected in his role and industry for being a kind and efficient manager and possessing a wealth of business and tech knowledge, and has a loyal band of employees whom have followed him from company to company. He was headhunted by many powerful and prestigious institutions because of this, and he's been with his current employer since August of 2012.

Tom is one of these loyal followers, and joined the company in March of 2013 as a BA. Tom is, from what his coworkers have said, a "brilliant rear end in a top hat". He's a crotchety old New Yorker who has worked in this industry since everything was still on paper, and helped Red take their then-employer electronic back in the 80s. Tom and Red have worked together for 20 years, and everywhere Tom has worked, his immediate coworkers have simultaneously respected and hated him. No one denies his detailed knowledge of the business, but he sounds extremely difficult to work with, to put it lightly.

I have met Tom many times, went to his mother's funeral, hosted him for Christmas, etc. He is very friendly and polite to me... but the stories Red and others have told about him make this very incongruous. For a very long time, I have been reserving judgment for people who actually work with him.

Red, as the newest executive, was saddled with the supposed-to-be boring job of campus recruiting, where he found his program manager, Kit. She was a computer science major who graduated with honors and boatloads of research certifications, and he hired her to start after she graduated in May of 2013. Instead of being placed in the entry-level training programs, Red had her shadow him for 8 months so she could learn as much as possible about their tech stack. I met her at the Christmas party, and could tell right away she was one of those rock star employees. Brilliant, articulate, sweet, confident - she was the real deal.

After kicking rear end her first year at the company, Red was given control of several other huge tech departments in a company re-org around Christmas of 2014. He was going to need multiple project managers instead of just Kit to keep things running smoothly, so he created three senior PM positions in his new group, and promoted her to the PM head of client-facing tech. The lead BA that she'd be facing off to? Tom.

For the first year, there were growing pains with Kit struggling to deal with Tom's difficult personality. Red would tell me all the time about Kit putting Tom in his place, or her complaining to him about Tom, or other people commenting to him about how well Kit was handling Tom. This was far, FAR from the first time Red had dealt with Tom problems: several people have requested internal transfers, some made themselves redundant then quit, some have refused positions in Red's organizations because of Tom. Red was encouraged by how much longer Kit was lasting. I didn't want to assume things but twice I said something along the lines of "You should watch Tom, if he scares Kit away that would be a real shame for the company". I'm sure you know where this is going.

Last year, Red finally was able to give Tom the headcount he'd been screaming about, and after more of the same Tom antics (interviewing 30+ people and several refusals of offers before someone accepted) they finally hired another junior BA, Mel, in January. From what I can gather, Mel became the main channel for Tom's toxic behavior and Kit went crazy watching from afar. Mel came to Kit several times about her issues with Tom, and Kit lit up Red every time. Since March of this year, Red mentioned to me weekly that Kit was in his office about Tom again, and he was starting to worry... he had been in the early stages of grooming Kit for his job, and he was nervous about losing his protege.

In mid-July, he did - Kit came into his office and declared she could no longer work with Tom and demanded Red deal with it. Red left work in a quiet rage that day, apparently Kit had admonished him pretty harshly, but after dinner and the kids washed up, we opened a bottle of wine and he told me everything: the things in Kit and Mel's complaints, the true frequency, the damning statements about how Tom treats the two of them from others, all the other times at other companies Tom has caused problems for Red... he felt betrayed by Tom, that Red has given him many jobs and he repays Red by abusing his employees, and he felt betrayed by Kit, for "not speaking up sooner". I pointed out that he needed to reconcile those two statements... how can Kit have all these complaints yet he thinks she "hasn't spoken up"? He admitted he needed to think on it some, and I told him not to take too long, because Kit was stellar and could have another offer in before the weekend.

He offered her a transfer to another one of his departments, in less of a management role but with similar responsibilities, and Kit took it. He came home the next day saying he felt encouraged by her response and knew she'd be have to transition easily. I told him I was surprised... Tom is a problem but Kit was the one who got moved? It didn't seem right. He said she seems satisfied that Tom was no longer her problem, and he just wants both Kit and Tom happy, so this solution got him what he wanted. I shrugged. We'll see.

He just came home from work a wreck today - Kit put in her two weeks, and the offer she's taking is unreal. Huge pay and responsibility bump, better city, another prestigious company. He choked up and told me he couldn't dream of beating it. I asked him if she's leaving because of the offer, he shook his head and it was a long time before he spoke, and he told me she had practically quoted me in her exit interview, citing that Red enabling Tom is why she's leaving. She told him he was the only reason she was staying and once she lost faith in him as a manager, she had no tether there. He was trying not to cry and he let me read the very touching thank you letter she wrote him about how grateful he was for believing in her and empowering her, and that's why she was able to achieve so much, because of his guidance. He told me that he wanted to get that letter 20 years from now when she was retiring as a top executive. I didn't know what to say, and just held him for a little. We made lunch and he went for a run and is in the shower as I type this.

I just want to scream I TOLD YOU SO. Not because I'm right but because the writing has been on the wall about Tom for DECADES. How can he be this blind??? He LOST his protege because of this jerk! I don't even work, much more with him, and I know what an rear end in a top hat he is! Red enabling this man has brought him endless consequences - now he gets one that hits home and it's STILL not the breaking point? The more and more he refuses to deal with Tom, the more he's going to lose. How can he not see that?!

I don't know how to comfort him. I think he deserves this pain of Kit leaving, but only if he learns something from it. How do I support him without screaming "TOM IS A PROBLEM YOU IDIOT!!!!"

TLDR: My husband's refusal to see a problem employee for what he is keeps costing him. What do I do to help him realize this so he'll stop hurting everyone?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
men don't care if other men rape and abuse because any man means more to them than any woman because women don't have souls, see genesis

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Okay seriously though, I've seen that situation a lot only it's a mercy she just went to another company, a lot of women like that drop out of the workforce entirely because they can find someone who will love and cherish them as a wife, and allow them to dedicate their lives to love and kindness within the community. And with career experience like that, who wouldn't take it?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

men don't care if other men rape and abuse because any man means more to them than any woman because women don't have souls, see genesis

Hey now, don't you dare badmouth Lilith, the first wife of Adam and lover of Satan.

She's a nice lady. :colbert:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pretty sure the Chad story is fake cause his name is Chad

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This is true. Also a woman is destined to stab me to death in the early morning hours on US Route 50 so I have a vested interest in making sure they have other things going on at that time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Haifisch posted:

My[42F] husband [41M] just lost his favorite employee [26F] to a chronic problem employee [50sM] and I want to smack him for being willfully blind instead of being supportive.

i have seen this exact thing happen on so many occasions, and it has ALWAYS been an older guy being an utter shithead to a younger, more talented/knowledgable woman

edit: and a man who has the power to stop it from happening not taking the woman's complaints seriously

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 19, 2017

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

:sever: and ditch this loser. Let him marry Tom if he's that loving dedicated to that wad of poo poo. Good on your shithead of a husband to introduce women to the industry by bending over backwards to get hosed by idiots shitbirds like Tom. Everyone knows your husband is a weak manager and a gently caress up enabler.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Guys just aren't good at listening. After my friend committed suicide I was really distressed, but Hugh helpfully informed me that I seemed detached and like I didn't care, which to me was a baffling read of the situation because I thought it was obvious I was (and remain) gutted by her loss, but I didn't want to openly weep about it in front of him because (ironically) I thought that would make him say something cruel to me. Should have kept my mouth shut frankly :shrug:.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

OP posted:

No, thank goodness no sexual or aggressive harassment. More like... condescension and immaturity so thick and so constant that it's abusive. Forcing people to check and double-check and triple-check things, tantrums when he doesn't hear what he wants to hear, going around people and policy to get what he wants, sacrificing other employees' reputation to meet his goals, not understanding technology at all which led to managerial frustrations, that sort of thing.

The incident that prompted Kit's ultimatum was an awful concoction of all of these things. There was a specific sort of testing that Tom wanted done for the company's clients that involved several different departments around the company, some in Red's world and others not, and some contacts outside the company (regulators, exchanges, etc) and Tom had repeatedly forced Kit to organize and conduct this testing. It had failed every time, because Kit was expected to do 10-2 different jobs as a completely green PM and would be either micromanaged or completely ignored by Tom. After another failed round of testing this past Christmas, Kit swore she would never ever touch that kind of testing again.

May, Tom wants to do the testing again and makes Mel organize it. Mel goes to Kit, who goes to Tom, who has a tantrum. Red breaks up the tantrum with the compromise that Kit and Mel will organize and run the testing one last time and, after it's complete, it will never be done again unless Red approves.

Kit and Mel go around to other departments and external contacts to beg favors for this testing... only for it to all completely fail again, the same way as previous attempts, only this time several of those external contacts and other department heads told Kit that they no longer trusted her and would not be making any more time for this testing going forward unless Red (whom is way too high up at this company to be getting directly involved in testing) forced them. Kit blew her lid that she basically dragged her reputation through the mud to make Tom happy yet again, and that was when she told my husband she was done with Tom.
Now would be a really good time for OP to get a job, so she's ready if/when this implodes on her husband's rear end.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Admiral Ray posted:

:sever: and ditch this loser. Let him marry Tom if he's that loving dedicated to that wad of poo poo. Good on your shithead of a husband to introduce women to the industry by bending over backwards to get hosed by idiots shitbirds like Tom. Everyone knows your husband is a weak manager and a gently caress up enabler.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

How did Chad gently caress up? This is exactly how you get your friends better jobs, especially in a tight industry. This is how social networking works in your favor, especially if you have an incident on your work history that looks bad to potential employers. She probably didn't use a single reference that could have vouched for her if the issue came up during hiring. Chad did OP's gf, a solid and she decided she'd rather continue falling on her sword some more, destroy a friendship and sour her chances in an industry likely to gossip about bizarre poo poo like this.

I'd be as confused as OP, frankly.

No, this is not how references work in any business gf shouldn't be doing her utmost to get the hell out of anyway. Providing positive references for friends and leveraging your business buddies to get them fasttracked is a-ok but getting word that one your acquaintances is looking for a job and going out of your way to make sure the hiring manager gets an earful of scuttlebutt that, notably, Chad doesn't actually know anything about is lunatic behavior that could be reasonably expected to put Chad's and the hiring manager's careers in jeopardy should word get out that's how they do things, assuming they're not already the owner's fuckup cousin nepotism hires. You are three eight-year-olds stuffed in a business suit trying to lecture the grownups on how the world really works

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Pick posted:

This is actually a kind of interesting question because I've ended up with stuff people meant to "come back for" that they left at my house or whatever and I never get rid of it and some of it I think is from high school even. dang. I keep tidy but it feels so wrong.

You must give them 'reasonable notice'. It has to be mailed, too, and signed for. If you throw it away, you are guilty of theft by conversion. You can be sued for that and you will lose in court. Most jurisdictions allow up to 90 days, but there are exceptions, such as deployment, incarceration, hospitalization etc. If you're not sure, ask a lawyer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WampaLord posted:

Hey now, don't you dare badmouth Lilith, the first wife of Adam and lover of Satan.

She's a nice lady. :colbert:

She was too good for Frasier

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Now would be a really good time for OP to get a job, so she's ready if/when this implodes on her husband's rear end.

She needs to be ready to ditch this rear end in a top hat, which you can't do unless you're working. She's right not to sympathize but that would be doom for the marriage but oh well

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

No, this is not how references work in any business gf shouldn't be doing her utmost to get the hell out of anyway. Providing positive references for friends and leveraging your business buddies to get them fasttracked is a-ok but getting word that one your acquaintances is looking for a job and going out of your way to make sure the hiring manager gets an earful of scuttlebutt that, notably, Chad doesn't actually know anything about is lunatic behavior that could be reasonably expected to put Chad's and the hiring manager's careers in jeopardy should word get out that's how they do things, assuming they're not already the owner's fuckup cousin nepotism hires. You are three eight-year-olds stuffed in a business suit trying to lecture the grownups on how the world really works

Except that the hiring person called Chad.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Chad's a creep with no boundaries

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Except that the hiring person called Chad.

Chad is in no way a creep. It's phrased poorly, but the hiring manager reached out to Chad. Chad gave her a glowing, factual review. He couldn't not mention the accident, he might not be the only person from that company his friend the hiring manager got in touch with, and not mentioning it would ruin his own credibility. One of the most important things you can know about a prospective employee is how they handle difficult, stressful working conditions. GF kept up beautifully, other than an accident that literally no one blames her for including the loving insurance company. The accident anecdote Chad told makes her look good.

The GF has sadbrains about the accident and needs help. BF gave her some by making her apply to other jobs, just getting the phone interview was a big self esteem boost. Chad helped too, his recommendation may have been decisive in the job offer. But she needs real therapy with an aim to get over the accident and own her own competence.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Still having fun trolling r/poly for stories:

We broke up- over a drunk 18 year old

:smuggo: "Honey, your judgement of me trying to bang this drunk rear end crazy 18 year old is really stressing me out. Welcome to Dumpsville: Population You."

I'm a few pages behind because this thread moves so fast, but

The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS: And with an inexplicable lack of hair, things start to fall apart > /r/relationships: I wrote out the algorithm, literally, for my feelings of compersion

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mllaneza posted:

Chad is in no way a creep. It's phrased poorly, but the hiring manager reached out to Chad. Chad gave her a glowing, factual review. He couldn't not mention the accident, he might not be the only person from that company his friend the hiring manager got in touch with, and not mentioning it would ruin his own credibility. One of the most important things you can know about a prospective employee is how they handle difficult, stressful working conditions. GF kept up beautifully, other than an accident that literally no one blames her for including the loving insurance company. The accident anecdote Chad told makes her look good.

The GF has sadbrains about the accident and needs help. BF gave her some by making her apply to other jobs, just getting the phone interview was a big self esteem boost. Chad helped too, his recommendation may have been decisive in the job offer. But she needs real therapy with an aim to get over the accident and own her own competence.

It's extremely easy to not mention the vague rumors he heard about the time the girlfriend hosed something up. People in the working world do it all the time, as a matter of professional etiquette and company policy. It's the kind of thing people get written up for, and can potentially expose them and their employees to liability if word gets out to people less inclined to interpret everything they do charitably their dumbass bff. What unspeakably retarded field are you in where not passing along every vaguely negative innuendo and rumor you hear about someone to anyone who asks would hurt your credibility?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 19, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Chad should have put his own career at risk by intentionally lying by omission about something that would probably be found out anyway if it's such a close knit industry rather than putting the incident into context and endorsing her for the position

What a Chad

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think :sever:ing from this incestuous and high-stress industry is probably the right call anyway.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think :sever:ing from this incestuous and high-stress industry is probably the right call anyway.

p. much. again, that's often why women leave certain careers. they're like "eh gently caress it, i will have a better quality of life literally anywhere else" and then everyone bemoans them leaving but fix nothing :monocle:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, think about it from her perspective: people are being all nice and kind about this thing that was actually their fault, she got investigated and got a slap on the wrist when they should have been fired for putting her through it. And now she's expected to be grateful for a life where people will constantly bring up this thing up. She couldn't even escape it by working somewhere else, loving Chad had to bring it up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:capitalism:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yes, capitalism, the only system under which prominent people get to lay their mistakes at the hand of less prominent ones. :rolleyes:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ok fine that's the world, where the less powerful eat poo poo so the more powerful can wipe their hands of their own mistakes

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Intruder posted:

Ok fine that's the world, where the less powerful eat poo poo so the more powerful can wipe their hands of their own mistakes

The system works!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
My [m25] fiancee [f25] of 3 years had too much to drink and caused a huge scene at my brother's [m28] wedding

quote:

My fiancee and I were both invited to my older brother's wedding. Up until now she has been very well liked by all of my family, even seen as part of the family already. But tonight at the wedding there was an open bar and she became completely out of control.

Basically: my fiancee got trashed and caused chaos at the event venue. There was an outdoor tent with tables, the bar, and appetizers set up outside the church. After the ceremony everyone was hanging out there before the dinner. The tent was supported by a few wooden poles underneath near the center as well as poles around the edge. There was also a stage with a live band performing. For most of what follows I didn't see it myself because I was towards the edge of the tent talking with a friend. One of my cousins eventually came and got me, so those parts are from what he told me which my parents confirmed later on:

As she got drunk she started dancing to the music, at first this was fine but she got wilder the more she drank. She was spinning herself around the poles in the center, whooping and laughing, and also apparently trying to pole-dance like what strippers do. At one point she grabbed my brother by his tie and pulled him away from where he was dancing with his wife, trying to swing him around a pole with her. My cousin said his wife looked pissed. By this point everyone nearby had noticed her behavior and was watching and snickering, and she kept spilling her drinks everywhere. This is the point where my cousin came and told me all of what she'd been doing, so I made my way with him through the crowd to near where she was. When I spotted her she was staggering over towards my SIL's elderly grandfather, and made him hold her drink for her while also trying to pull him over to dance with her. When he didn't go she just yelled "WHOOOOO!" and ran back to the pole, practically throwing herself onto it. At the same time I'd almost reached her and was going to make her sit down for a bit. But as she jumped onto the pole trying to climb up it, it fell over on top of her from the weight, and the entire tent collapsed in a domino effect where the rest of the poles under the center also fell.

I'm so grateful no one was hurt, but that ruined the celebration, and everyone had to go inside early until it was time for dinner while the maintenance people cleaned up all the damaged stuff.

I'm unspeakably embarrassed and upset, and my brother and SIL are understandably angry their day was overshadowed by this drama. I of course apologized to them profusely. The rest of my family have been very cold to her/us. Most of the other guests were there when it happened so now she's a laughingstock to some and an object of scorn to others. A lot of these are friends and extended family that are a big part of my life, or will be (SIL's family). This is their impression of my fiancee now. Part of me wants to postpone our own wedding (late September) because I'm just mortified.

This isn't the first time she's had issues with alcohol. She hardly ever drinks much except once in awhile at a party, and twice before she's lost control of her drinking. It's never been this bad but she's done things like taking her shirt off and pestering random people to hook up with each other. She never remembers any of this once she's sober the next day. It puts me in a difficult position because if I go partying with her I fear being embarrassed by her behavior, but if I don't go, I fear she could be out doing who knows what and I'd never find out if it was bad. I also don't want to be one of those guys who forbids her from having fun, nor do I want to have to keep track of how many drinks she's had.

I feel like I can't marry her until I know for certain there won't be a repeat of this or anything like it at our wedding. I don't trust her around alcohol at big events like this. To her credit she immediately knew how badly she'd hosed up and personally (drunkenly) apologized to my brother and SIL, and my parents and SIL's parents. She kept crying and apologizing to the people at our table at dinner too. I knew she meant well but it was still awkward.

Does it seem reasonable to postpone the wedding? I took her home after dinner since she was a mess and she's passed out now. Tomorrow if this goes the same way as the past times she got wasted this bad, she's not going to remember anything that happened. So how do I talk to her about this and get her to see how serious it is? I don't want to make her feel worse but I don't feel like I can just pretend it's all okay. Looking for some guidance on what exactly to say to her. (And also how she/I can repair this mess with my family after losing their respect?)

TL;DR my fiancee's drunken antics ruined my brother's wedding. I love her but I'm humiliated she acted like this, and am thinking about postponing our own wedding until I trust she has better self control. I also would love any suggestions on how we could make this up to my family.

well your family is never going to accept your fiancee after tonight so fortunately you won't have to be responsible for her alcoholism

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My [22M] brother [18M] is a total menace. He's been a burden on my family for at least the past ten years. Everyone we've spoken to has said it's just a phase, or he'll grow out of it, but as yet he hasn't, and his behaviour is making me extremely depressed. I'm home from college for the summer, so I have to put up with this for another six weeks - although his behaviour has been like this for at least the past ten years. I think he's got some sort of mental disorder that makes him behave like this - we've tried to get him checked out but the general consensus we get is that he'll only be evaluated if he actually hurts someone. Here are some of the examples of his recent behaviour.
It's important to note he doesn't behave like this outside the house. He's perfectly normal and polite to other people, but when he's inside the house he feels he can behave like a total rear end in a top hat.

We had a contractor coming as we're remodelling the bathroom. My parents were out, so I said I'd clean the bathroom, and he was asked to clean the hallways. The contractor was due at 3pm. At the moment I'm working nights, so roughly 12pm I was asleep, and my brother barged into my room, woke me up and demanded I clean the bathroom. I told him to gently caress off and that I'd do it in my own time. He didn't like that - he started making threats, offering me to hit him, getting right in my face, etc. This was over absolutely nothing - he had decided that at that point I must clean the bathroom, because he had said so.

He has this recurring theme that somehow I think I'm better than everyone in the house. He brings this up on a daily basis, "get off your high horse, you're not better than everyone" "you're nothing, although you think you're everything" - that kind of crap. I don't think I'm better than everyone - he gets this from the fact that I do most of the cleaning in the house because my mom [55F] is disabled and my dad [55M] and sister [21F] work full time, whereas I only work part time. Sometimes I'll complain about how messy the house is because my brother is a total slob - pizza boxes strewn over the house, empty Coke cans, plates, etc. I don't feel I should have to pick up after him in this way, and whenever I complain I get the "you're so arrogant, you think you're better than me, I'll do what I want." My brother is still in school (summer holidays at the moment) and does absolutely nothing with his time.

He will deliberately try to disturb me when I am asleep. As I said earlier I work nights at the weekends, and he stays up all night playing video games. I'm usually home at 8am and I just want to go to sleep, but he will decide just as I've got into bed to make as much noise as possible - examples include have an argument with my mom or to rearrange his bedroom. He'll get bored after about two hours and then go to sleep for the whole day. I work three days per week and over the last weekend, every day I've been woken up by him making unnecessary noise.

We've had a family issue regarding my grandmother's house. My mom is trying to force a sale and get some money out of the house, and since my brother has heard about this he's asked about it three times a day - "when are you getting the money, I need a car, I need something else, etc." I've tried to tell him it isn't his money and therefore he doesn't decide what to do with it, and he just gets violent and aggressive - going back to "you're not better than me, don't tell me what to do"

My mom gave me some money for tuition fees earlier this year. I work while at college, but I had a slight shortfall not covered by loans and my own personal savings, so my mom kindly offered to make up the shortfall. When he heard about this he got hold of my mom's online banking information (I've asked her to lock this up where he can't find it but she left it around one day and he picked it up), and logged on to see what the amount was. When he found out he went crazy, shouting and screaming at my mom and me that he should also have received a similar amount because it was unfair. I told him it was none of his business - again, what I received was a load of abuse.
We have a cat. She's very timid and scared of him because of his aggression. She really hates being picked up, so my brother will pick her up routinely. When she starts hissing usually he'll put her down, but once he didn't and he got scratched. He then went on a huge tirade, suggesting she be put down, etc. He even said if she did it again he'd kick her as hard as he can, but I don't believe this because I think he knows I'd start hitting him and wouldn't be able to stop if he hurt her. He'll constantly feed her stuff she shouldn't eat, like sausages, bacon, etc. When I tell him he shouldn't do that as it's not healthy, I get a load of abuse. He also buys treats to feed her because he thinks it'll make her like him, even though we like to limit her treat consumption he's quite happy to feed her 20 or 30 at a time when nobody's around to tell him otherwise, and his reasoning is that they're good for her and she'll eat them instead of her food.

For years he's been draining he family's finances. My mom is a soft touch - she isn't really able to stand up to him as he's very abusive and menacing. I feel helpless when he's bullying her but I know as soon as I get involved it makes the situation ten times worse and makes it more likely to become violent. So when my brother demands my mom's credit card to go buy himself McDonald's or something, she gives in. We're not a rich family but I'd wager he's spending at least $100 a week of my mom's money. When I found out he was taking her card, I reported him for credit card fraud - nothing ever came of it as I was away in college, I'm not sure if there was a visit from the police or anything. Whenever I suggest to my mom she changes her bank account or makes some effort to prevent him getting at her money, she agrees with me that it's ridiculous and he shouldn't be able to do it, but is too scared of him to do anything about it.

I'd really love to knock him clean out. However I am a musician - that's what my degree is in and I really can't afford to risk damaging my hands. Hitting him is not worth not being able to play my instrument again, as it seems as though that and work is the only release I ever get nowadays. Of course if I try to practice he makes as much noise as possible to try to distract me. He's hit me and other people before and I've called the police on two occasions - they've let him off with a warning both times, and he's very cautious now of what he will do - he's content to push me, etc but he won't actually punch me because he knows I'll call the police and get him arrested.

I know the long term solution is to move out, which I'll be doing soon - when I go away for my master's degree at another college I won't ever be coming back here. However, I'm worried what'll happen to my parents and my sister - he's a menace and he knows my mom won't call the police if he attacks her, and neither she nor my sister are in a position to defend themselves.

What can I do about this? I'm very concerned I'll leave for good and my mom will be dead shortly after, either from suicide because she can't take any more or he's got violent and she hasn't been able to defend herself. He hasn't done this yet (because I'd kill him) but with nobody there to stop him I don't know what he'd do.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Kickboxing was invented for a reason.

Maybe i'm being too hard on him, maybe his music is so beautiful that it's worth letting his mom get beaten to death.

dudeness fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 19, 2017

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
That guy got a load of abuse.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I (M18) just had a coworker (F42) come onto me sexually

quote:

Length of relationship: friendly for a summer, "sexual" for a day

Over the summer I started my first job, it went fine. Nothing weird happened and the coworker in question was friendly and seemed totally normal. Then she added me on social media and began contacting me just with small talk when I really didn't know her at all.

Long story short the conversation turned sexual on her end, and I'll be honest, I wet noodled on it and didn't out right say no at this stage. Then I found out she was married.

The conversation kept going and I tried to just turn it into a friendly conversation, then she just opened up emotionally and started saying how she's in a loveless marriage, how she thinks I'm perfect, how she wants me, then she said "I love you".

I'm still a young man and truth be told relationships aren't my forte, she continued messaging me after I went to sleep extensively. I'm geniuinely scared for her and my own safety. She came across as a little unhinged during the conversation and I just don't know what to do.

I want to make sure that this doesn't ever happen again with her while simultaneously trying to keep her from becoming even more depressed than she is. I feel like a wiser older person with more experience in this area would be better than just me to find a solution.

tl;dr Trying to keep my former coworker who is emotionally attached to me from hitting on me and don't want to hurt her feelings and make sure that she gets the message absolutely.

This is like act 2 of a horror movie, where the spooky atmosphere is established, but just slightly before the main character finds his dead friends and has to start dodging butcher knives

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

No red flags there, go on and get your noodle wet friend

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

I [17M] bought this replica alien head for $2000 and put it in the living room. My half siblings [3M&F] burst into tears when they saw it and mom [34F] told me to move it. I have no space in my room and I want to bargain with her.

quote:

I need a way to settle this with my mom. I am a movie buff and I have always just for some reason liked the Alien franchise. I bought myself this replica bust of the head for $2000 dollars to put ontop of my DVD case. The same day the kids arrived home and burst into tears when they saw it. Izzy thinks it's going to eat her and ben scared of it for the look. I tried to tell them it's fake but they cried harder when I tried to show them. Mom's told me to move the thing out of the living room but I have no space in my room. The thing is enormous and I spent a lot of money on it. Help me baragain with her?

tl;dr: Help me reason with mom. I have no room in my room and she doesn't want to hear it.

A $2000 replica alien head

He's 17

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I [17M] bought this replica alien head for $2000 and put it in the living room. My half siblings [3M&F] burst into tears when they saw it and mom [34F] told me to move it. I have no space in my room and I want to bargain with her.

He's 17

Young forums poster Xenomorph learns that its game over man.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

He's 17

considering that this is his mom going "move the alien head" and not "holy poo poo did you just spend 2000 real life american dollars on a giant fake alien head?" I'm assuming that either his parents are unfathomably wealthy, in which case just buy a new house specifically to keep your weird head in, or that it was actually his own money, in which case gently caress, if you're 17 and have 2k to blow on bullshit you might as well just move out when you turn 18 in a couple months and throw a tarp on it until then

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I found some good content:

My [29f] Husband [35m] is out of town... and probably cheating on me with his cousin!?! (self.relationship_advice)

quote:

Okay friends... I have quite the predicament.

A little back story... my husband went to a bbq at his uncles on the 4th of July, he didn’t invite me because he doesn’t want me to meet that side of the family. He says they’re all trash. Any way after this bbq he was talking all about his second cousin who he hasn’t seen in like 20 years and how good of a kid she was (she’s 21) and how great she is. I thought it was great that he’d gotten to connect with a family member!!

Fast forward a few weeks, he sends me a screenshot and at the top of it it says “Kate is typing...” in the Snapchat notification. I ask who Kate is and he says it’s the cousin he reconnected with. I was like hummm okay, that’s cool. They start talking non. loving. Stop. I ended up getting mad about it and he got defensive. We fought, made up, and I hadn’t heard a word about her. She lives in Kentucky, we live not in Kentucky.

WELL this weekend he had to go to South Carolina to help a friend move some thing out of his house. He made the trip alone, and I barely heard from him all day. I got a text 9 hours later saying he had bad service but was at a hotel in Kentucky. He said he was in One town, but when I got on snap chat it showed him in a town an hour away from where he said he was. I asked him what he was doing and he said that they’re right beside eachother (he obviously forgets google exists at this point) the town Snapchat is showing him in is the town where Kate lives.

I ask him what he’s been doing and he said just watching tv. But suddenly his phone service turns back on and he’s able to text just fine. I get this bad feeling in my gut and look up our call logs for the cell phones. He placed a call to Kate at 6:30, 2.5 hours before he finally text me back.

If it was innocent he would say hey I’m stopping to see family right?? But no he’s lying where he is, won’t talk on the phone, and is only sending back blacked out Snapchat’s. I guess the advice I need is how to approach this. How do I say I’m 99% sure you went down there to gently caress your cousin!? And on top of all that, when we split up... what on EARTH do I tell people because I’m embarrassed as hell!!

TL;DR Husband drove 7 hours away to (probably) have sex with his second cousin. Ignoring calls, claiming spotty service, lying about where he is. How do I confront him in this gross situation and what do I tell people when we inevitably split?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

considering that this is his mom going "move the alien head" and not "holy poo poo did you just spend 2000 real life american dollars on a giant fake alien head?" I'm assuming that either his parents are unfathomably wealthy, in which case just buy a new house specifically to keep your weird head in, or that it was actually his own money, in which case gently caress, if you're 17 and have 2k to blow on bullshit you might as well just move out when you turn 18 in a couple months and throw a tarp on it until then

When I was 16, over the summer I banked up $3,000 by working at a call center. So it's not impossible for kids to have access to that kind of cash on their own.

Granted, I didn't go and blow 2/3rds of it on one purchase, but dumb teens gonna dumb teen.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I found some good content:

My [29f] Husband [35m] is out of town... and probably cheating on me with his cousin!?! (self.relationship_advice)