Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I can't imagine getting mad about fake soy meats. Some people don't want to eat an animal, I don't see the issue? It probably tastes like Chorizo, which basically just tastes like spicy and salty, and it's protein. Is this one of those "old man terrified of millennials" things where op is outraged and confused because a product exists that isn't marketed to him specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

where do you live? i've always heard "stromboli" used to refer to a pastry that is folded over or rolled into a spiral, with cheese and meat on the inside. like, on the family tree of pizza-esque foods, a stromboli would be much closer to a calzone than to a panini or a flatbread

edit: also wtf, how are you comparing that thing to a grinder/sub/hoagie, like at all

In the Midwest. Grinders here are often a hot sandwich created to feed guys working in shipyards.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Stromboli is supposed to be basically a pizza folded like a quesadilla.

That makes no sense, as that makes a stromboli not really any different than a calzone. Are you a MADMAN?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I can't imagine getting mad about fake soy meats. Some people don't want to eat an animal, I don't see the issue? It probably tastes like Chorizo, which basically just tastes like spicy and salty, and it's protein. Is this one of those "old man terrified of millennials" things where op is outraged and confused because a product exists that isn't marketed to him specifically?

Nooooo. It's the lack of conviction, IMO. If you don't want to eat meat, then don't eat fake meat. Don't brag about sacrifices you aren't actually making.

(I wouldn't be like then if the vast majority of vegetarians and vegans I have known haven't been insufferable proselytizing gits. Practice THEN preach.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

deadly_pudding posted:

It's that soy meats are mostly used in applications where the meat is the entire point. Why not just make a real vegetarian dish instead? It's not even that hard a lot of the time - just leave the meat out of whatever you're cooking. If the dish flat-out doesn't work without a chunk of animal flesh, make something else.

Samizdata posted:

Nooooo. It's the lack of conviction, IMO. If you don't want to eat meat, then don't eat fake meat. Don't brag about sacrifices you aren't actually making.
So basically this.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Samizdata posted:

(I wouldn't be like then if the vast majority of vegetarians and vegans I have known haven't been insufferable proselytizing gits. Practice THEN preach.)
I acquired an allergy to red meat from a tick bite so I do appreciate these alternatives. Even chicken and turkey sausages tend to be made with beef casings.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Scarodactyl posted:

I acquired an allergy to red meat from a tick bite

:psyduck:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Why put a ham hock in a pot of beans if the beans are the point of the dish? If it doesn't taste good without a hunk of meat, why make it? How is someone buying soy chorizo from Trader Joe's bragging about a sacrifice? I eat the poo poo out of some meat, but I just don't understand this anti-fake meat thing. Somebody wants to serve me a good taco on a fresh, hand made masa tortilla with some ripe avocado, fresh cilantro and some spicy vegan chorizo? Hells yes I'm going to eat that, thank you. Wait, no, I shouldn't because it's not real chorizo, there's no point in eating it. You should have made palak paneer or buttered succotash instead. Peace out, homies.

For content, I think I found my pineapple hot dog thing, though the dogs are wrapped around the pineapple and I think those might be banana chunks amid the potatoes and carrots maybe?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
TWO 24 HOUR SALADS ENTER THE RING. ONLY ONE WILL EMERGE

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Yeah, lone-star ticks can cause red meat/dairy allergies, and their range is spreading thanks to climate change. Also nobody really knows why.

Enjoy!

http://www.businessinsider.com/lone-star-tick-spreading-alpha-gal-red-meat-allergy-2017-6

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Keith Atherton posted:

These are really missing the directions that make what you are making clear. The second one is probably really delicious, like modern fruit fluff but with a sort of saybion ish sweet fluffy creamy sauce. The whisking that would be required and specific technique is just not spelled out. Some people would end up with hard boiled or scrambled eggs with fruit if they just 'cooked' the ingredients.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Staring for the record I'm totally okay with any vegan/vegetarian food and the people that get mad at them are just as insufferable if not more more so than their strawman examples, I just thought it was a funny tweet.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ultimate Mango posted:

These are really missing the directions that make what you are making clear. The second one is probably really delicious, like modern fruit fluff but with a sort of saybion ish sweet fluffy creamy sauce. The whisking that would be required and specific technique is just not spelled out. Some people would end up with hard boiled or scrambled eggs with fruit if they just 'cooked' the ingredients.
I wonder how much of that is from the recipes being old enough that you'd assume the audience knew the basics of cooking?

Even some of the clearer old recipes that pop up here have less detail than modern recipes, which sometimes literally have step-by-step pictures of how to make it. (Not knocking that stuff, because it is legitimately helpful, but we're also in an era where an alarming number of people can't make anything more complicated than toast)

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Keith Atherton posted:

I've only ever seen Queen Anne's covered in chocolate

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This stuff is really good in ro-tel and velveeta cheese dip

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Haifisch posted:

It's that soy meats are mostly used in applications where the meat is the entire point. Why not just make a real vegetarian dish instead? It's not even that hard a lot of the time - just leave the meat out of whatever you're cooking. If the dish flat-out doesn't work without a chunk of animal flesh, make something else.

So basically this.

if you're not eating meat for moral and not taste reasons, can't you see a reason why someone would want to satisfy their meat cravings with fake meat

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Elizabethan Error posted:

:wrong: Shawarma, doner(kebab), gyros and al pastor are all shaved meat from a spit

Not at all wrong, it's a kebab. It's meat cooked on a skewer that is then removed. Doner is simply a very large kebab.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

I can't imagine getting mad about fake soy meats.

It's less anger and more pity. You are on this crazy rock for a limited time and it is sad to waste it eating not great stuff on purpose.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The only fake meat I get mad about is tofurkey

I'm struggling to finish the post because I cant even figure out the right adjective to describe it. Vile and disgusting aren't any where near strong enough

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

The only fake meat I get mad about is tofurkey

I'm struggling to finish the post because I cant even figure out the right adjective to describe it. Vile and disgusting aren't any where near strong enough

They are wired as hell. I still have the box from the first one my friend bought, it was wired enough to save and I keep old pictures and poo poo in it.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Cavenagh posted:

The book these are from only has a couple of colour photos.

So many of these recipes specify "dairy sour cream". Is there non-dairy sour cream I don't know about?

Synthbuttrange posted:

the sauce is soylent

This just makes me sad. RIP barbecue.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Otana posted:

So many of these recipes specify "dairy sour cream". Is there non-dairy sour cream I don't know about?

Yes, actually.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/tofutti-sour-supreme-non-dairy-sour-cream/79612

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

the sauce is soylent

So is the table.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Otana posted:

I'm pretty sure it means sour cream you get from a dairy vs. cream you've soured with lemon juice.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Ultimate Mango posted:

Most of my grandma's recipes have directions like "bake as usual" which is half an hour at 350. But then they had home ec classes and had to have a basic understanding of how cooking works.

I really like those gif recipe things that get posted on facebook but there's a lack of understanding for "this is how a cake works" that comes with solely visual cues like that.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

deadly_pudding posted:

What the heck are you talking about? I must have missed this.

Also, I've had this and it's terrible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I hate soy meats, grew up in South Texas, and am Mexican-American, and soyrizo is good.

gently caress off you weird rear end puritanical food pussies. You can't even parse the loving meat tastes or textures in chorizo, it's all spices and salt.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

I hate soy meats, grew up in South Texas, and am Mexican-American, and soyrizo is good.

gently caress off you weird rear end puritanical food pussies. You can't even parse the loving meat tastes or textures in chorizo, it's all spices and salt.

sir this is a mcdonald's drive thru

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

canis minor posted:

Is it a pizza, or is it a sandwich?

I think you'll find sandwiches are simply closed face pizzas, so since it's open face it is a pizza.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

"Creamy Cod" flavour ice cream, battered, deep-fried, and served atop potato ice cream

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

"Creamy Cod" flavour ice cream

No :catbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Caramel cod was a joke

a joke

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

I acquired an allergy to red meat from a tick bite so I do appreciate these alternatives. Even chicken and turkey sausages tend to be made with beef casings.

Sorry to hear that, and that makes perfect sense for meat replacements. Of course, this is not a conscious choice of yours you plan to lord over everyone in a three state radius too.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samizdata posted:

That makes no sense, as that makes a stromboli not really any different than a calzone. Are you a MADMAN?

Calzones have ricotta stromboli only has mozzarella :colbert:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
E A T

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:emote for you want to say something, but no words come:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I can't be sure I've never heard a bee's dick as a euphemism for a small amount. I think its happened at some point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always liked being able to intentionally misread "soupçon" as "soupcan"

A soupcan of salt? Okay! :buddy:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is it a European or Africanized bee dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Grand Fromage posted:

Is it a European or Africanized bee dick?

Does it matter? They're both tiny.