Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i remember how a couple years back people were constantly saying how the 80s was the very last cultural decade because the 90s had no coherent defined aesthetic and poo poo, and yet nothing but 90s kids jokes kept happening and 90s revivals etc.
I wonder what will get passed on as 00s pop culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Every movie trying to be The Matrix, boy bands, that time the Looney Tunes tried to rebrand as superheroes, I'm sure we'll think of something.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

those who cannot remember ytmnd are condemned to repeat it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ArfJason posted:

i remember how a couple years back people were constantly saying how the 80s was the very last cultural decade because the 90s had no coherent defined aesthetic and poo poo, and yet nothing but 90s kids jokes kept happening and 90s revivals etc.

Every decade becomes a caricature of itself after enough time passes. All the boring stuff fades away and all that's left in the public's collective minds is collage of all the best and most memorable bits mashed together. At this point it's impossible to predict what the collage of the 00's will look like, we're just going to have to wait a few more years for the fading to start.

In the meantime let's all sit back and enjoy my favorite piece of 90's nostalgia weirdness, Simpsonswave: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Es4U9ckGjdM

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Bongo Bill posted:

those who cannot remember ytmnd are condemned to repeat it

This joke works on multiple levels and that makes me happy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ArfJason posted:

Everything that was made as post 9/11 entertainment, probably.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Clawtopsy posted:

i mean there were people who thought kankri is a gross attack on them when that came out

I'm pretty sure Kankri was a fairly deliberate attack on a certain kind of person who's very woke about things that interest him.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Every decade becomes a caricature of itself after enough time passes. All the boring stuff fades away and all that's left in the public's collective minds is collage of all the best and most memorable bits mashed together. At this point it's impossible to predict what the collage of the 00's will look like, we're just going to have to wait a few more years for the fading to start.

In the meantime let's all sit back and enjoy my favorite piece of 90's nostalgia weirdness, Simpsonswave: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Es4U9ckGjdM

yea im aware of the rose tinted glasses effect where the sea of mundane mediocre stuff is forgotten (or some kinda above average stuff revived as "cult classic"). What will be cool is seeing what will be considered as ahead of its time and the insufferable debated about whether or not its true.

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure Kankri was a fairly deliberate attack on a certain kind of person who's very woke about things that interest him.

he absolutely was

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
yeah and if a few crazy people got mad at kankri, imagine how loving huge the sook would be from the alt-right babies if eridan was one

or they'd take the wrong message away

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Caliborn was close.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Don't look now but there's a real life Gamzee Redemption Arc going on

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Juggalos always been good, actually. They do a lot of charity work.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Plom Bar posted:

As it turns out, the ICP really don't like Trump.

Go forth Juggalos, drink your lovely swill and preach your lovely gospel

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Burkion posted:

As it turns out, the ICP really don't like Trump.

Hmmm...

quote:

In the ensuing chaos, media fame and governmental power became effectively one and the same, which the Condesce exploited by ensuring celebrities sympathetic to her cause gained high office. This scheme culminated in the 2024 election, in which Juggalo Party candidates Jay and Dope, using their fame as the Insane Clown Posse and their massive juggalo following, were able to win and become the first Dual-Presidents of the United States

Is Homestuck real? Is this all part of the Condesce's plan?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s kinda sad that ICP as President seems like a downright pleasant alternative to reality

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

http://whatpumpkin.tumblr.com/post/164274606465/its-that-time-again-time-for-another-hiveswap

Another Hiveswap interview! This time with Shelby!

her favorite character is calliope lol

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Not surprised, but I couldn't fathom why even if she explained it to me.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Bell_ posted:

Not surprised, but I couldn't fathom why even if she explained it to me.

i think the biggest hint is that shelby considers her own classpect to be muse of space, too........

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This kind of speculation is a little tacky.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Some people just like characters that are just "nice" and "sweet" and don't have any conflicts.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Calliope has a bunch of conflicts tho

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

She literally says in the interview that Calliope is her favorite because she's Calliope's ghost artist and literally the kind of fan Calliope was a parody of. Something something ascended fan.

Or am I missing some obtuse ironic joke in this thread, again?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Malpais Legate posted:

She literally says in the interview that Calliope is her favorite because she's Calliope's ghost artist and literally the kind of fan Calliope was a parody of. Something something ascended fan.

Or am I missing some obtuse ironic joke in this thread, again?

The ironic joke is that ultimately there was no parody

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

RandallODim posted:

The ironic joke is that ultimately there was no parody

The ironic joke is all of human history.

When the last human being dies, their final words will be "Hah, just kidding. Could you imagine?"

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

calliope has conflict inflicted upon her, but does not rise to the occasion to best it or resolve it in any way. her victory is the result of others, and she is unanimously and unconditionally loved by all who interact with her, except the final boss.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah but aside from that im sure back then it was argued frequently that it was a self insert of one of the art team ppl (probably this shelby gal)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

calliope has conflict inflicted upon her, but does not rise to the occasion to best it or resolve it in any way. her victory is the result of others, and she is unanimously and unconditionally loved by all who interact with her, except the final boss.

Calliope is pretty concerned about the idea that she was "supposed" to be a better character, that if she'd been strong enough to meet all the ridiculous and impossible challenges thrown at her she'd have been able to kill her brother instead of being his victim and that her life would have been better.

Eventually she meets the (Calliope) who actually did all that and finds out that that version of herself obviously thinks Calliope is the one who got the better deal by being weak and flawed and having the capacity to have her own life instead of just turning herself into a giant void to meet the expectations reality randomly foisted on her.

This seems somewhat relevant to the concerns of the narrative as a whole.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah but Alt Calliope was metal as gently caress.

"i wore him down. i ate his soul. i dressed my words in his blood so i could hear victory every time i spoke."

What a shame that she wasn't unique in the fact that her being dead meant little to the narrative.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Calliope is pretty concerned about the idea that she was "supposed" to be a better character, that if she'd been strong enough to meet all the ridiculous and impossible challenges thrown at her she'd have been able to kill her brother instead of being his victim and that her life would have been better.

Eventually she meets the (Calliope) who actually did all that and finds out that that version of herself obviously thinks Calliope is the one who got the better deal by being weak and flawed and having the capacity to have her own life instead of just turning herself into a giant void to meet the expectations reality randomly foisted on her.

the problem is that neither of them were good characters

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rand Brittain posted:

That’s an interesting interpretation of the situation! Too bad it wasn’t actually explored in the narrative in a way that was meaningful or interesting leaving us instead with a pair of characters that are bland, two-dimensional, cardboard cutouts beloved only by the person literally paid to make art for them.

Sidenote: I have no goddamn idea how this happened, but uwu has become a much-hated symbol amongst the anti-racisim/anti-TERF crowd on tumblr. Basically, the uwu emoticon is associated with the kind of milquetoast liberals who are more concerned with acting nice than doing good. People who when faced with an injustice that requires real and immediate action to overcome instead choice to ignore it or even passively enable it and say things like “Trans-women should be more respectful of cis-women’s discomfort with them uwu”. I really don’t think it’s a reference to Calliope (most of the people I see using it have never even read Homestuck) but it’s a weird coincidence and I can’t help but think of her whenever I see it. It also might have been an interesting flaw for her to overcome if Hussie had ever actually bothered to give her a character arc and development. Of course learning to be active and good instead of just passive and nice was already kind of Jade’s arc, before Jade stopped being a part of the story and faded into nothingness.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Friend reminder uwu culture was a thing before calliope

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zeruel posted:

Friend reminder uwu culture was a thing before calliope

I actually didn't know that! Guess that solves that mystery.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Caliborn was fine. He was a little poo poo that was fun to hate. He didn’t need to be particularly complex, and explained why English was such a misogynistic thug.

Calliope was like every other character with a lot of build-up and thppttt.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Every character being given like Jade Jane and roxy, right? I can't remember anyone else interacting with her

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

When she met all the other characters after having all her problems solved and giving her a ring that restores life instead of good characters John had met, everyone pretty much said how beautiful she was except Terezi who said she was badass instead

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
If she really is a self insert then thats hilarious

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clawtopsy posted:

When she met all the other characters after having all her problems solved and giving her a ring that restores life instead of good characters John had met, everyone pretty much said how beautiful she was except Terezi who said she was badass instead

ArfJason posted:

If she really is a self insert then thats hilarious

and and and she's gonna look like a skeleton with dimples in her cheekbones and she's gonna think she's so ugly but when all the other characters see her for real for the first time they're all gonna tell her she's so pretty and and everyone's gonna like her even the one that doesn't like anybody and and and

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Pants Donkey posted:

Caliborn was fine. He was a little poo poo that was fun to hate. He didn’t need to be particularly complex, and explained why English was such a misogynistic thug.

Calliope was like every other character with a lot of build-up and thppttt.

I'm going to disagree on Caliborn. Even back when I used to be an active homestuck fan, Caliborn was the most grating character. I could not stand any of the homosuck segments and wound up skimming through them. Normally I love amoral rear end in a top hat characters. Spades Slick and his various incarnations, pre-retcon Vriska, and to a lesser extent Meenah were a ton of fun to read! But I absolutely hated Caliborn, and not in a fun way.

(pre-retcon is a necessary qualifier for Vriska because, as many have said, her story was so much better when it ended tragically. good job on never committing to themes and undoing Vriska's ending twice.)

Calliope didn't grate on me the same way but she wasn't any fun to read either, she was just so bland and boring. Cherubs were a mistake. I liked the comic better when the story was about Sburb itself.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Everything past the Scratch was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
There were a few good parts, but they were all retjohned out of existence.

Speaking of which, I've been thinking of the timeline that we know of for Hiveswap. If the few released bits of info are true, then it takes place specifically in the pre-scratch 90's. Given images we've seen the characters definitely have some sort of meaningful connection with Mom, etc, so that means a lot would be wildly different after the scratch, unless it's somehow addressed in the game, which I can't really see happening without being crazy confusing for that precious, tiny audience that never read Homestuck and would actually pay for the game. It's entirely possible the events of the game never even happen in the post-scratch universe. Maybe that is why the game is never coming out. Maybe the game is an ARG and we've been playing it this whole time...

Torgover fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 20, 2017