Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

RCarr posted:

Are the Jackbox games fun for 2 people or do you need a bunch of people to enjoy it?

I'd argue you need at least five people for them to work, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hosed up story, friends. A co-worker got her daughter a Switch for her birthday and we were all having a post work BBQ. She had yet to buy any games so I offered her to try out the good games I have bought for my Switch to see if her daughter liked any.

Her little brother was also there so they're playing ARMS and Mario Kart and Sonic Mania and being all cool with the single joycons so I don't think anything of it.

It's time to leave so I go grab my switch and it's only the little bro playing. He was playing Zelda. A NEW GAME of Zelda. :stonk:

Thankfully I caught it in time for me to load my previous save but seriously who the gently caress just goes and start a new game on someone else's console? loving rude.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

I'd argue you need at least five people for them to work, unfortunately.

Is there online play? Like can me and my girlfriend join a game online and get put in a game with 3 other people?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

RCarr posted:

Is there online play? Like can me and my girlfriend join a game online and get put in a game with 3 other people?

There's only online play, the game can't work without an internet connection. You can't join a random game though, you need the room code from the host.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So if I don't have friends who own the game I can only play with whoever is at my house at the time? Why :(

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

hosed up story, friends. A co-worker got her daughter a Switch for her birthday and we were all having a post work BBQ. She had yet to buy any games so I offered her to try out the good games I have bought for my Switch to see if her daughter liked any.

Her little brother was also there so they're playing ARMS and Mario Kart and Sonic Mania and being all cool with the single joycons so I don't think anything of it.

It's time to leave so I go grab my switch and it's only the little bro playing. He was playing Zelda. A NEW GAME of Zelda. :stonk:

Thankfully I caught it in time for me to load my previous save but seriously who the gently caress just goes and start a new game on someone else's console? loving rude.

Zelda is Bad now so it doesn't really matter

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

RCarr posted:

So if I don't have friends who own the game I can only play with whoever is at my house at the time? Why :(

The only person who needs to own the game is the person who wants to host. Everyone who wants to play along just needs a device with a web browser.

So if you want to play with people not at your house, then you start the game, put it on a stream, and tell your friends to watch the stream so they know what room code to put in to join.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Grown-rear end man expects a child to know what they're doing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The way Jackbox games work is:
  • The game session is hosted and displayed by the console/computer that the game was purchased and installed on.
  • Every player, whether they're sitting in the room or watching from a stream, uses their own phone/tablet/computer to connect to the game via the Jackbox website. This is free and does not require any app installation. If you can see the game screen and you have a device with a web browser, you can join in.
  • Each player's device serves as their controller for answering questions, typing, drawing, receiving secret personal instructions, etc.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You obviously never learnt the hard way by letting someone play Pokemon on your Gameboy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I too hate the thing I think about 0% of the time.

Good posting?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

The Bloop posted:

Good posting?

Yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just think. In just a few weeks we'll finally have a good game on this dead console and this thread will be good and cool.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Supercar Gautier posted:

The way Jackbox games work is:
  • The game session is hosted and displayed by the console/computer that the game was purchased and installed on.
  • Every player, whether they're sitting in the room or watching from a stream, uses their own phone/tablet/computer to connect to the game via the Jackbox website. This is free and does not require any app installation. If you can see the game screen and you have a device with a web browser, you can join in.
  • Each player's device serves as their controller for answering questions, typing, drawing, receiving secret personal instructions, etc.

(I've only played Party pack 3) also, a few game types just work much better in person. For example, in JBPP3, there's a game where everyone receives the same instruction on their phone except one person who receives the instruction "try to blend in with everyone else". And the instructions are like "hold up the number of fingers for how many steaks you've eaten this week" or "raise your hand if you played a high school sport" or "point at the person most likely to fall in love with a mermaid". It was funny with old friends in the same room each time when the vegetarian held up 3 fingers, no one raised their hand including the lone jock, and everyone pointed at the guy whose favorite movie is Little Mermaid except his wife.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yeah I've played all 3 jack box games and I couldn't imagine them being much fun if you can't hoot and holler with the people you're I the room with

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bidiots, That bomb game are pretty unplayable on pc with a ten second lag for your stream.
Fibbage is like hardmode for everyone but the host. I think you need to be a super subscriber or some poo poo for twitch or your internet to allow less lag.
Local play with Switch works perfect but alas its local, BUT PORTABLE!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

creationist believer posted:

(I've only played Party pack 3) also, a few game types just work much better in person. For example, in JBPP3, there's a game where everyone receives the same instruction on their phone except one person who receives the instruction "try to blend in with everyone else". And the instructions are like "hold up the number of fingers for how many steaks you've eaten this week" or "raise your hand if you played a high school sport" or "point at the person most likely to fall in love with a mermaid". It was funny with old friends in the same room each time when the vegetarian held up 3 fingers, no one raised their hand including the lone jock, and everyone pointed at the guy whose favorite movie is Little Mermaid except his wife.

As the host, can I choose .. game modes (?) that would be more conducive to remote players or streams?

That would be great honestly. Have a mode that's optimized for local and a mode that's optimized for remote. I don't always have four other people willing to drop by at a moment's notice :[

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Same

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was playing splatoon 2 just fine with a usb ethernet adapter, but now it's unable to connect and my computer can't use it either, any suggestions on a new adapter or a fix for my old one?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was playing splatoon 2 just fine with a usb ethernet adapter, but now it's unable to connect and my computer can't use it either, any suggestions on a new adapter or a fix for my old one?

Have you tried turning the router off and on first?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Are you using the same ethernet cord when you're checking? And/or the same port on your router?

Also,

Neddy Seagoon posted:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Martytoof posted:

As the host, can I choose .. game modes (?) that would be more conducive to remote players or streams?

That would be great honestly. Have a mode that's optimized for local and a mode that's optimized for remote. I don't always have four other people willing to drop by at a moment's notice :[

There sort of is a remote mode! Party Box 3 has optional extended timers to compensate for stream lag, and Party Box 4 will have them as well.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Are you using the same ethernet cord when you're checking? And/or the same port on your router?

I tried the ethernet cable with my laptop it totally works, the adapter doesn't though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I'm posting this from the laptop while using the adapter now so I'd say this is pretty solid advice.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

creationist believer posted:

Yeah, Fakin It pretty much requires all players to be in the same room, but then, Fakin It is kind of a poo poo game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Has anyone pledged to the GripCase Kickstarter? I've been thinking about it because I do see myself taking out the Switch more and more in the near future. Grip alternatives?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Has anyone pledged to the GripCase Kickstarter? I've been thinking about it because I do see myself taking out the Switch more and more in the near future. Grip alternatives?

quote:

Based on our past experience, we anticipate being able to fulfill orders within 6-8 weeks, but we should note that forecasting demand is an inexact science. If order volumes exceed our expectations, it might take slightly longer to fulfill orders.

quote:

$89,056 pledged of $11,894 goal

I don't know about "near" future...

Honestly I think it looks interesting but the amount of volume it adds and the explicit "our massive rear end carrying case will probably be the only thing that can handle the grips" means I'm likely going to pass, since that kind of defeats the point of it being portable :vv:

Also:
1. It's a single piece of rubber that covers the shoulder buttons, which already sounds pretty :nallears: to me
2. They claim it's thin enough to stick in the dock with the case on, but given that there was already scratching issues without extra bulk I can't help but think that's going to exacerbate the issue even for people who didn't have issues previously
3. I'd be a little worried about something that adds insulation to the back of a console that already runs a little on the hot side in the dock

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I bought a gooseneck mount for bed time lazy gaming. Highly recommended, although it's game dependent. Splatoon with detached joy cons is weird, but that could be because I'm left handed and using my right hand for gyro. Split with Zelda feels a lot better and Mario Xcom is going to be great like this.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah! What a shithead that... little kid? was!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I have this same one and this happened to me as well. I noticed the activity lights weren't on, so I thought "I wonder if my PC will even recognize it." So, I plugged it into a PC USB port, and it sorta... reinitialized or something. Then it worked fine on my Switch.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Not sure if fake, but someone on gamefaqs is saying they bent their bent Switch back into shape with their knee. Even posted pics.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/75686065

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cubivore_ posted:

Not sure if fake, but someone on gamefaqs is saying they bent their bent Switch back into shape with their knee. Even posted pics.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/75686065

They got the before and after pics swapped, do not fall for trick

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

NewFatMike posted:

They got the before and after pics swapped, do not fall for trick

Ah ok, didn't think of that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

By the way here's My Mate Vince testing basically every loving controller there is on the Switch. A six part series, but long story short most things at least partially work. If you have any old controllers it's mostly a matter of a cheap adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHTjEyTjt6o

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

By the way here's My Mate Vince testing basically every loving controller there is on the Switch. A six part series, but long story short most things at least partially work. If you have any old controllers it's mostly a matter of a cheap adapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHTjEyTjt6o

Wait, what the gently caress? If you plug in a wired controller into the dock but have the Switch in portable mode the controller will still work? That’s such a bizarre use case that I can’t understand why Nintendo would ever anticipate it, let alone how they made it work...

[Edit: this is at roughly 5:20 in the video]

[Edit 2: ooooh it’s the adapter that does the signal translation, not the Switch dock. That makes slightly more sense.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 19, 2017

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

Bidiots, That bomb game are pretty unplayable on pc with a ten second lag for your stream.
Fibbage is like hardmode for everyone but the host. I think you need to be a super subscriber or some poo poo for twitch or your internet to allow less lag.
Local play with Switch works perfect but alas its local, BUT PORTABLE!

Sort of a tangent, but the Mixer streaming platform (owned by Microsoft, formerly called Beam) has a custom protocol called FTL that provides very low latency streams. So streams really have like half a second lag versus twitch's many seconds delay

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I think I'm in trouble with Binding of Isaac. It's gotten a grip on me and it's the only game I play now...

The only way I was satiated was when I got every mark for every character without hard mode. Best of luck

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was talking with a friend about Sonic and he’s refusing to admit that there are issues with controlling Sonic, even after I linked him to a video where a runner has random bullshit happen to him because of issues with the way Sonic controls.

Freaking fanboys.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What do you hope to gain by proving him wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Are there issues

• Locked thread