Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

dropkickpikachu posted:

Board games are DOTD on Amazon today: https://t.co/HkeiU40d1y

Cross posting from the Boardgame Deals thread:

Kingdomino: 2-4 Tile Drafting Game. Quick and solid.
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong: Party Social Deduction Game. One person is trying to point everyone else to a combo of cards chosen by another player using plaques rather than words.
Cash n Guns: Party game where you point guns at everyone else and bluff in order to split the loot amongst the least amount of players. LEss people standing at the end of each round, the more loot you get. You get literal foam guns.
Takenoko: Light colorful game about growing and eating bamboo as a panda.
Loony Quest: 2D platformer where you trace your route through each level using a marker on a clear sheet of plastic. It's one of my favorite low key games.
Abyss: Push your luck set collection thing with really great art. The art is kind of wasted on such a mediocre game.

I haven't gotten to play these, but they are also well regarded:
Inis: Area control game with emphasis on drafting.
Isle of Skye: Carcasssonne with an auction.
Imhotep: hard to explain concisely. You have 4 different ways to ship cubes, and you want to do so while screwing you opponents as much as possible.
New York 1901: Build New York with tetris/Patchwork like mechanincs.

I'm curious to hear about Kodama, 7 Ronin, and Steam Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Inis. You go for Inis. It's so elegant a design for a DOAM game and it uses nearly perfect information. That price is insane (but honestly the "right" price for that game if it wasn't asmodee controlled).

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Just learned there are Codenames Disney and Marvel coming. I dont think I'm nerdy enough for those.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

What are some great 2P campaign style board (not LCG) games? Basically some kind of RPG-lite fare? I'd prefer it didn't take more than 60-90 minutes, and didn't require any kind of doubling up on characters, just something that works with pure 2P.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ShaneB posted:

What are some great 2P campaign style board (not LCG) games? Basically some kind of RPG-lite fare? I'd prefer it didn't take more than 60-90 minutes, and didn't require any kind of doubling up on characters, just something that works with pure 2P.

Tales of Arabian Nights? That's a big hit with my friends.

E:Did anyone try out Rising Sun at Gencon? I know they've got a charity event going on and I'm very curious about the game.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ShaneB posted:

You want gloomhaven

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rumda posted:

You want gloomhaven

Yes I do. That's why it's preordered. :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BTW if anyone has been looking for an Arkham core set, Cardhaus just emailed me about this going back in stock, since I had put it on my wishlist before finding it locally.

http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/arkham_horror_the_card_game/391793

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Isaac Childres taught Suddenly Susan and I how to play Founders of Gloomhaven and then we played an entire game of it.

It's good!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I liked the video I saw of it, it looks like Factorio in boardgame form. Does it work well with less than 4 players? The "dummy player resource" mechanic seemed forced.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I liked the video I saw of it, it looks like Factorio in boardgame form. Does it work well with less than 4 players? The "dummy player resource" mechanic seemed forced.

That mechanic feels necessary to me. First of all, the game is balanced around each player controlling exactly 2 resources. I imagine in a 2-player game, if each player controlled 4 resources, there would be too much opportunity for tactically making sure a certain resource never hits the board, which I think would ruin the flow of the game.

If we accept that a player shouldn't be granted control to more than 2 resources, this second point shows up. When using someone else's resource that's worth 1 VP, you're costing yourself 2 VP against them, and 1 VP against other people. Using a dummy player's resource would only be a 1 point differential against everyone without the weird doubling. The game wants players to trade with each other, not with the dummy, so this feels necessary to make trading against the dummy extra unattractive.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Isaac Childres taught Suddenly Susan and I how to play Founders of Gloomhaven and then we played an entire game of it.

It's good!

Forgot to mention, Founders of Gloomhaven is Concordia meets Steam.

There isn't cooperation, but you will need to use other players' resources, which you pay for with both money and VP during scoring.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Couldn't find it on the last bunch of pages so here is the Pandemic Legacy Season 2 preview from GenCon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oyihklWZhs

No spoilers included, just basic descriptions of the starting mechanics. Biggest takeaway is that the game is on the boat, so it should be sooner rather than later, and that rather than giving default characters, they give default roles and a series of character portraits for stickers.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Haha no loving wonder Games Workshop and FFG had an unfriendly split late last year:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

dropkickpikachu posted:

Haha no loving wonder Games Workshop and FFG had an unfriendly split late last year:

Oof, yeah, that would do it. I'd love to learn more though. Gotta storm some troops.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

dropkickpikachu posted:

Board games are DOTD on Amazon today: https://t.co/HkeiU40d1y

I haven't heard of most of these, but Flip City is a fun mini-deckbuilder.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dropkickpikachu posted:

Pretty sure it's the other way around. The Runewars mini game and this were made after GW signaled they were pulling their licenses.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I did it, I ordered Tash-Kalar. Now to find a friend into abstract games.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

please knock Mom! posted:

I did it, I ordered Tash-Kalar. Now to find a friend into abstract games.

Just played it today and had a tight game go to tie breakers (I lost :(). It's a ton of fun and I quite like it 2 or 3 player.

Also got HMS Dolores and Tigris and Euphrates on the table today. HMS Dolores is a nice fun little card game. There is a fair bit of strategy in quite a light game that plays quickly. We basically used it as filler as one player had to leave about 30 minutes after we finished T&E.

T&E was a blast though I got completely crushed. As I have no idea what I am doing I may have accidentally kingmade in the process of making a catastrophically bad play. Any strategy advice for this one?

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 19, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm finally getting Caylus. :peanut: Too bad BL isn't here to give me pro tips anymore. Also ordered Gallerist and Inis, the latter because it was so cheap and in case my friend's copy explodes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYh6Kludlgg

Any of you ever heard of this game Bunny Kingdom? It isn't out yet but it looks pretty interesting. I'm wondering if any of you have played any other games by this dev or if any of you have gotten to playtest it or anything like that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Silvergoose

I hope your city be strong against the evil that is coming

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fat Samurai posted:

I was reading the archived BSG thread and 50% of the posts were you complaining about not being able to run some program on a Mac. :D

I don't own a Mac, but yeah the programs aren't very good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lorini posted:

Silvergoose

I hope your city be strong against the evil that is coming

<3

Seems like the not zees were outnumbered by some ridiculous magnitude, so all's well I guess?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYh6Kludlgg

Any of you ever heard of this game Bunny Kingdom? It isn't out yet but it looks pretty interesting. I'm wondering if any of you have played any other games by this dev or if any of you have gotten to playtest it or anything like that.

Richard Garfield? Never heard of him, must be a new up and coming designer. :v: he's the designer of, among other things, Magic: the Gathering

Seriously though, his last drafting game, Treasure Hunter, gets a decent amount of play with my group, and the addition of area control to the mix seems like it'll be pretty cool. Scoring looks like it might wind up being a little fiddly though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I actually picked up Bunny Kingdom at gencon after a bunch of recommendations floated by me. It looks interesting, a drafting game a la 7 Wonders except instead of building a civilization the cards allow you to take territory, increase your strength via buildings, and gain missions that, if completed at the end of the game, get you carrots (points).

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I actually picked up Bunny Kingdom at gencon after a bunch of recommendations floated by me. It looks interesting, a drafting game a la 7 Wonders except instead of building a civilization the cards allow you to take territory, increase your strength via buildings, and gain missions that, if completed at the end of the game, get you carrots (points).

I'd love to hear impressions once you get some plays in.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

deadwing posted:

Richard Garfield? Never heard of him, must be a new up and coming designer. :v: he's the designer of, among other things, Magic: the Gathering

Certainly explains why I haven't heard of him then :v: I don't play MtG.

Of course, I feel like this implies that I know the names of any board game designers and companies. Which I don't.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Certainly explains why I haven't heard of him then :v: I don't play MtG.

Of course, I feel like this implies that I know the names of any board game designers and companies. Which I don't.

Here's a primer

Vlaada Chvatil: god among designers
Reiner Knizia: a whole lot of okay games, a few gems
Richard Garfield: designed magic
Uwe Rosenberg: Agricola and many other worker placements

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

silvergoose posted:

Vlaada Chvatil: Once a god, now designs games for Target
Reiner Knizia: a whole lot of Math exercises, and some games
Uwe Rosenberg: Agricola and many other variations on Agricola

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd say Rosenberg has designed 3 games: Agricola, Patchwork, and his true masterpiece Agricolapatchwork.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Huxley posted:

I'd say Rosenberg has designed 3 games: Agricola, Patchwork, and his true masterpiece Agricolapatchwork.

Merkator and bananza get no love.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's also Steve Jackson, who is different to Steve Jackson.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
David "Yomi" Sirlin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV_VOCJyFg8

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Here's a primer

Vlaada Chvatil: god among designers
Reiner Knizia: a whole lot of okay games, a few gems
Richard Garfield: designed magic
Uwe Rosenberg: Agricola and many other worker placements

Richard's game design book is also noteworthy.

Tom Lehmann designed 1846 and some other crap.

Bohnanza is the best Uwe game.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Stefan Feld: confusing action selection mechanism + setting up one-shot combos instead of engine building

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Eric Lang: the Snoop Dogg of board games. He'll put his name on anything but the quality ranges from great to garbage.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ignacy Trzewiczek: Thematic games with some really bad mechanics behind them. Ignores Vlaada's advice.
D. Brad Talton: Anime as gently caress games that need a technical writer on them, but otherwise good for the most part.
Eric Lang: Dudes on a map games, but Chaos in the Old World is the only one that receives near universal praise.
Christophe Boelinge: Criminally underrated, but Dungeon Twister, Archipelago, and Earth Reborn are great.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also that libertarian guy with the bizarre afterword at the end of his rulebooks. Ecklund?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's hard to fault Vlaada right now, since he has kids. gently caress kids.

(Codenames Duet was actually designed by a codenames fan and Vlaada was like no, you can't put it on BGG as a fan variant because instead you're working with me to publish it since it fuckin rules)