Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Can you really save much with the email negotiations vs. just using Costco auto sales or similar systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

n8r posted:

Can you really save much with the email negotiations vs. just using Costco auto sales or similar systems?

It's not the money, it's the hassle. If you know what you want, there's no point in going through six layers of bureaucracy to get to somebody who can OK the sale.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

n8r posted:

Costco and similar systems are a way to trade potential savings for convenience (like was mentioned). Costco etc doesn't usually have the best price, but you certainly don't have to gently caress around in order to get it. Going all by email would be a way to get more savings while still being convenient with you as the buyer doing a bit more work. When a dealer insists that you come in they are doing it because their tactics are at their most powerful.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Two problems here:

1) If you can't come to a good price over email, there's a lot of customers who are going to move on to a dealership that does. If I've already decided on A Car with Options, the product you are offering me is no different than what I can get anywhere else. The only things you can differentiate on now are customer experience and price. If I can't even get a price out of you over email, then the customer experience is already poo poo.

2) People (and the companies those people represent) negotiate far larger deals than $Car all the time over nothing but email and phone. Yes, the close rate is higher when you can get someone in person, but that doesn't mean you ignore all of the customers who don't want to come to you without a price first.

I'm not saying that's what I do or what my dealership does. I'm saying that's the reasoning as to why the poster I quoted was having a hard time getting pricing via email.

With my dealership the BDC rep (think of them as receptionist/front desk person) will pass along the info of the customer to either a sales manager or salesperson to work out a deal over the phone/email if that's how they want to do it.

Some businesses are good some businesses are bad. Dealerships are often single business entities so there is a lot of variability to how they are run. Even when they are part of a large auto group one showroom run by one GSM may differ in processes from another.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

n8r posted:

Depends. In demand vehicles, Costco might get you a slightly better deal. You can usually do better on your own. When I used Costco years ago the Costco price was invoice + 500 dollars.

I don't know why you guys have such issues buying cars. The last 4 brand new cars I bought, I did my homework, knew what a fair price was and told the dealer that was what I would pay. The either agreed, or I left.

I haven't spent more than 2 hours buying a car in the last 5 years. First I go down in person to show I'm serious. Email and phone calls are a waste of everyone's loving time. Dealer websites are pretty accurate regarding inventory.

I bought my 2011 Fusion Sport in 5 minutes. I went to the dealer and stood next to the car on the lot. A guy named Cody came up and said Hi. I said "The sign says 5,000 off all Fusions, I'll buy this car right now for 5,000 off MSRP". He came back 3 minutes later and said we had a deal. Easy. I'm pretty sure the 5K didn't apply to Sport trim Fusions, but they sold it. I've bought 4 cars from Cody total so far. I don't waste his time, he doesn't waste mine.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

skipdogg posted:

Depends. In demand vehicles, Costco might get you a slightly better deal. You can usually do better on your own. When I used Costco years ago the Costco price was invoice + 500 dollars.

I don't know why you guys have such issues buying cars. The last 4 brand new cars I bought, I did my homework, knew what a fair price was and told the dealer that was what I would pay. The either agreed, or I left.

I haven't spent more than 2 hours buying a car in the last 5 years. First I go down in person to show I'm serious. Email and phone calls are a waste of everyone's loving time. Dealer websites are pretty accurate regarding inventory.

I bought my 2011 Fusion Sport in 5 minutes. I went to the dealer and stood next to the car on the lot. A guy named Cody came up and said Hi. I said "The sign says 5,000 off all Fusions, I'll buy this car right now for 5,000 off MSRP". He came back 3 minutes later and said we had a deal. Easy. I'm pretty sure the 5K didn't apply to Sport trim Fusions, but they sold it. I've bought 4 cars from Cody total so far. I don't waste his time, he doesn't waste mine.

Considering you just shoved email and phone buying right out of the way even though vast untold amounts of business and products costing way more than what a car does is done entirely over email and phone calls I'm not sure I should trust your authority on the proper way to buy a car Mr. skipdogg

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can't email a car lol.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

euphronius posted:

I've bought two cars from other nations using nothing but email :cool:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Considering you just shoved email and phone buying right out of the way even though vast untold amounts of business and products costing way more than what a car does is done entirely over email and phone calls I'm not sure I should trust your authority on the proper way to buy a car Mr. skipdogg

But we're all doing it wrong apparently, all of us.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KakerMix posted:

I didn't shove it out of the way. I said "Email and phone calls are a waste of everyone's loving time." Which I believe they are. It shows no intent to actually purchase the car no matter what you say in your email. I bet an average dealer gets 30 emails a day with people "ready to buy right now if you give me the best price". I wonder how many of those emails translate to sales. Probably not many. If I'm a car salesman do I want to waste my time answering emails that hardly ever convert to sales, or do I want to deal with the guy with a down payment check and preapproved financing in hand?

Do your homework, know what a fair price for the car is, go down to the dealership that has the car you want and make an offer. They accept and you buy the car, or you leave. I'm not going to waste several days of my time emailing the 7 Ford dealers in my town and dealing with 21 year old dipshit appointment setters that reply to those emails to save a couple hundred dollars.

This thread has already hashed out car buying isn't really analogous to buying almost anything else so I'm not sure what you're getting at with your "vast untold amounts" line. Yeah, I've done large purchases over the phone and email as well, it works well for a lot of things, doesn't work well for buying a car in my experience

I've bought a fair number of cars from dealerships in my life, this is what works for me. You can take my advice or not, doesn't matter to me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

skipdogg posted:

I didn't shove it out of the way. I said "Email and phone calls are a waste of everyone's loving time." Which I believe they are. It shows no intent to actually purchase the car no matter what you say in your email. I bet an average dealer gets 30 emails a day with people "ready to buy right now if you give me the best price". I wonder how many of those emails translate to sales. Probably not many. If I'm a car salesman do I want to waste my time answering emails that hardly ever convert to sales, or do I want to deal with the guy with a down payment check and preapproved financing in hand?

Do your homework, know what a fair price for the car is, go down to the dealership that has the car you want and make an offer. They accept and you buy the car, or you leave. I'm not going to waste several days of my time emailing the 7 Ford dealers in my town and dealing with 21 year old dipshit appointment setters that reply to those emails to save a couple hundred dollars.

This thread has already hashed out car buying isn't really analogous to buying almost anything else so I'm not sure what you're getting at with your "vast untold amounts" line. Yeah, I've done large purchases over the phone and email as well, it works well for a lot of things, doesn't work well for buying a car in my experience

I've bought a fair number of cars from dealerships in my life, this is what works for me. You can take my advice or not, doesn't matter to me.

Nobody was looking for advice though, we were all talking about how we feel about dealerships and what dealing with them is like for each of us. You did too but also laid down some harsh truths about emails and phone calls being a waste of time which is why I pointed it out. Like you didn't even bother being a part of the (very one sided :v: ) conversation you instead dad'd it up and let everyone know how you are supposed to do it.
You say phone calls and emails are a waste of time, I disagree.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I've bought cars a few time almost exclusively over email. It is basically required if you ever want to shop outside of your immediate vicinity. If a dealer gets 30 emails a day that say "I'll buy this car at this price right now" and they don't respond to any they sell 0 cars. If they respond to all of them and only 10% are sincere they've sold three cars. It's not like responding with a "yes, that works" or a "sorry, we can't sell at that price" takes a tremendous amount of time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

But who talks on the phone or sends emails to get anything done these days, that's ridiculous.

I just go straight to the nearest Amazon warehouse 40 miles away to buy my goods, they look at me like I'm an idiot, but at least I'm not wasting anyone's time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Guinness posted:

I know dealers need to make a profit. I just don't want to waste any goddamn time getting jerked around in the sales office. I've already told you exactly what I want, just tell me exactly what you'll sell it for. If we agree, I give you money and you give me a car. That's all there is to it. Anything more than that is fluff and bullshit.
Honestly, this is the best thing about X-plan. Its a fair deal all around, limits fees, and takes 0 negotiation.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I loving hate negotiating prices. Tell me how much money something costs and if I don't like it I don't buy it. I have a coworker that haggles at places that I'd never even consider and it works for him all the time. He spent like 8 hours at a car dealer one time negotiating the price on a truck. It's just way more effort than I want to put into buying stupid poo poo. I'll also pay extra for convenience without question. I payed around $100 more for a gun in a brick and mortar store yesterday than it would have cost online because I didn't want to wait for shipping and having to dick with picking it up at some dude's house at a time convenient for both of us. I'm willing to do the same with almost anything I buy within reason too.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

if that's the prevailing attitude, why are getting hard numbers so difficult and time consuming?

The last two times I bought a car I did this. I emailed the area dealerships and said "I want to buy X with Y options. I know that MSRP on what I want is $A and that invoice on what I want is $B. Please tell me what your price would be."

Simple. To the point. Very little time commitment for either party.

You know what I got back from 90% of the dealers? "Why don't you come down and talk with one of our sales managers to discuss your needs."

I mean, you didn't even have to do anything at that point. I'm handing you a sale with very little effort provided you come back with the lowest number on what I want. If you can't, I don't hold any malice or beat you up about it. All you have to do is toss out a number between two other numbers.

But that straightforward open negotiation was often met with stonewalling bordering on hostility, pushing both parties to invest more time. Even after I explained I will not be visiting any dealerships without numbers first, they still refused. At that point, I thanked them for their time and said goodbye and they didn't get an opportunity for the sale.

When I bought the BRZ, there was even more hoop jumping. To their credit, I was given a price for the car right off the bat. It wasn't a great one, but ok. I thanked them, let them know I have a lead on a few cars and I would get back to then soon.

Almost immediately I got back "my sales manager says we can sell you the car at cost." Ok, that sounds promising, I'm assuming that means invoice, so I ask what cost was and if they were referring to invoice. "Only the sales manager knows that, why don't you come down to talk with him?"

Sigh, it started out so promising. I let the conversation dangle for a week while I put a few more feelers out. I then get an email asking if I was still interested in the car (again reiterating the car was at cost without giving numbers.)

I again ask what cost is to more or less the same response.

Finally, I said "Invoice on this vehicle is $xx,xxx. If you will confirm that is the price, I'll be in to purchase it tonight."

At that point, she's suddenly able to confirm the price with the sales manager and I bought the car that night. Had they done that a week prior, they would have made the sale sooner and not risked losing to someone quicker on the draw.

This was basically my experience. The dealer I bought my last Silverado from called me asking if I would trade it in. I gave them a list of vehicles I'd be interested in, specific vehicles from their website, and asked for quotes. "Well why don't you just come in" Nope, I told you exactly what I wanted, sent you photos of my vehicle, and let you know I'm ready to spend the money. Give me a loving quote!

After 3 days of emailing them back and forth, getting passed around sales people, still with zero quotes and getting nowhere I ended up buying from another dealership because of their bullshit.

I should add, the last 3 cars I've owned before my last truck were all purchased online sight unseen.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 18, 2017

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

euphronius posted:

You wouldn't download a CAR, would you?

What stand-up comedian was that who first had the bit about that FBI movie piracy warning and was like yeah, if I saw a Ferrari on the street and all I had to do was push a button to drive off in a copy of that Ferrari, while the original still sat there untouched, why wouldn't I?

Also, I've seen screencaps of this survey before but without some of the helpful images, so here's a link to a customer survey Kia sent out (I'm assuming in America based on the prices) with questions about what you would pay for what options on the Stinger.
http://imgur.com/a/FXzue

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

davebo posted:

Also, I've seen screencaps of this survey before but without some of the helpful images, so here's a link to a customer survey Kia sent out (I'm assuming in America based on the prices) with questions about what you would pay for what options on the Stinger.
http://imgur.com/a/FXzue
I misread Hichroma Red as Hiroshima Red and had a :stare: moment.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 18, 2017

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Dislike button posted:

Nope, I told you exactly what I wanted, sent you photos of my vehicle, and let you know I'm ready to spend the money. Give me a loving quote!

It's really easy to assess a trade in and make sure it hasn't had body work with emailed over pictures.

:rolleyes:

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Powershift posted:

My local ford dealership has a stupid loving coffee shop in it. That's how you know how efficient their service department is.

Galpin?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tijag posted:

Galpin?

no, it's one of two ford dealerships in a city of 50,000 people, so a market maybe 1/100th the size?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Emailing dealerships is all about weeding out the ones that will try to bullshit you. The ones that actually send you the price (even if it's not the best) pass the test. The ones that ignore you and just tell you to come on in are tossed in the trash. I strayed from this method once and dropped into a dealership cold with the intention of negotiating there and was met with aggressive salespeople who literally insulted me. Like I think they had read that book about "negging" women and were trying to sell cars the same way. Here are a couple choice excerpts:

*5 minutes into comparing 2 similar models*
Him: "Well which do you like?"
Me: "I don't know, hard to decide after only 5 minutes, I kinda need to take a closer look"
Him: "It's real easy man, it's not hard. Just tell me which one you like better??"
Me: "Not really, for $25k it's not that easy"
Him: "No man that's nothing, I just bought a $150k car right off the lot, didn't have to think about it, no problem"
Me: "Uh ok"

*Discussing differences in driver feel between models*
Him: "Ok so if I gave you a choice between these two for free, which would you choose?"
Me: "Well I don't know, this one drives like this but that one drives like that, I'm not sure which I prefer yet"
Him: (clearly doesn't understand how each model feels to drive) "Come on it's really easy, what's the problem? So you're saying you would pick this one that $5k cheaper even though they're both free??"

*Negotiating price*
Me: "I don't know, these numbers don't really work out for me, I won't be able to put away money every month"
Him: "Well have you tried making more money?"
Me: :what:

*Still negotiating price*
Me: (something about how the car loses value immediately after leaving the lot, I forgot the exact conversation leading up to this)
Him: "No man cars don't lose value off the lot when you buy at MSRP"

Every time I do the email method, I get straight shooters that make the process easy. I'm never going to doubt it again.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Deteriorata posted:

If somebody cared enough, the laws could be changed to make this possible. Auto makers have a lot of political clout. The fact that it isn't happening suggests that they've run the numbers and it's not worth it to them.

Dealers, not OEMs.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KakerMix posted:

Besides Tesla, a very real and actual car manufacturer right now that is trying to sell directly to consumers and can't. If I completely missed the point then you've totally dodged one just the same.

No, he's wrong. State dealership laws have handcuffed the OEMs they would love to be able to sell direct to consumers, and offer things like OTA updates. Dealership protectionism laws (which date back decades) make that illegal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Car dealers usually run state government .

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drgitlin posted:

No, he's wrong. State dealership laws have handcuffed the OEMs they would love to be able to sell direct to consumers, and offer things like OTA updates. Dealership protectionism laws (which date back decades) make that illegal.

No, that's not the point I was making. OEMs could get the laws changed if they wanted to. The dealership protection laws continue to exist partly because the OEMs support them. Dealers, of course, hugely support them - but the OEMs do, too.

There are political and economic reasons that OEMs don't want to gently caress over their dealership networks, but if OEMs really wanted to sell direct to the consumer they'd figure out a way to make it happen with or without the dealers' consent.

I'm also convinced that Tesla's model is not sustainable and they'll be selling through dealers eventually as well.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

KakerMix posted:

Still not seeing why we can't just also sell cars bulk-style online or in a warhouse big-box type setting. Here is a price, here is the car, you want it in white? Cool. Financing? Nice. Ok how about extended warranty? Sure sure. Total comes to X. Cash? Check? Alright now give me a moment to print out your receipt, title and temp tags and you'll be on your way.
You know, like how you buy appliances.
It's weird to see the dealership model trying to straddle being a lease factory that strips cars down to being a commodity while simultaneously trying to keep up the 'complicated expensive purchase you need to be guided through the process' aspect that buying a car has usually had.
I had great luck with the Costco auto purchase program. Two cars, 3 and 6 percent under invoice, respectively, with zero haggling pressure other than a half-assed attempt by the finance guy to sell an extended warranty (WRX and Odyssey, for the record). I understand that the pricing is highly variable based on geography, brand, and model though.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

To contribute to dealer chat, one in my neck of the woods is being charged with felony theft for charging people for tax/title and never paying it to the state/county

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

No, that's not the point I was making. OEMs could get the laws changed if they wanted to. The dealership protection laws continue to exist partly because the OEMs support them. Dealers, of course, hugely support them - but the OEMs do, too.

I think you're overstating the influence the automakers have here. They're worried about trying to get emissions restrictions reduced, they're not going to take on the massive legal lobby of their true customers.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you're overstating the influence the automakers have here. They're worried about trying to get emissions restrictions reduced, they're not going to take on the massive legal lobby of their true customers.

Possibly, but it's not something I'm going to poo poo up the thread arguing about anymore.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Hikaki posted:

"Well have you tried making more money?"

Story of my life

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kill me now posted:

It's really easy to assess a trade in and make sure it hasn't had body work with emailed over pictures.

:rolleyes:

yeah dude, i totally wasnt going to let them inspect it in person either. :thumbsup:

I take it you've never bought a car over the internet before, but it's ok, and it happens.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Dislike button posted:

yeah dude, i totally wasnt going to let them inspect it in person either. :thumbsup:

I take it you've never bought a car over the internet before, but it's ok, and it happens.

It usually happens with straightforward deals like new car with no trade in or rolling to a new lease. Asking for a quote on a trade that is an unknown quantity is a waste of time as it's completely subject to the in person assessment anyway. You may as well go on kbb as it's gotten a lot more accurate than it used to be.

If you want a number on your trade type it into kbb and be honest about its condition and history to yourself. If you want a price on the car then just go on truecar. Then go on dealerrater.com and find a dealer with good reviews. With all that info in hand you should be able to walk into that dealership armed with your info and it should be fairly straightforward from there.

I've dealt with plenty of anti social goony customers who tried to go the email shotgun route and wound up getting low balled online by other dealers only to find out the deal wasn't real. They waste even more time then they would have just selecting the top rated dealer on yelp and coming in like a normal person.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

kill me now posted:

I've dealt with plenty of anti social goony customers who tried to go the email shotgun route and wound up getting low balled online by other dealers only to find out the deal wasn't real. They waste even more time then they would have just selecting the top rated dealer on yelp and coming in like a normal person.

In light of this new information I have to tell my wife we have to get a divorce after 12 years since we originally met on the internet. She's going to be pretty dissapointed she's been married to an anti social goony this whole time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it's not being antisocial. Buying a car isn't a social outing. I don't want a relationship, I just want to buy a loving car and move on with my life. Going through that grinder is about as enjoyable as a root canal on a good day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/vision-mercedes-maybach-6-cabriolet-photos-and-info-news

I really really like this because i'm a terrible human being.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kill me now posted:

It usually happens with straightforward deals like new car with no trade in or rolling to a new lease. Asking for a quote on a trade that is an unknown quantity is a waste of time as it's completely subject to the in person assessment anyway. You may as well go on kbb as it's gotten a lot more accurate than it used to be.

If you want a number on your trade type it into kbb and be honest about its condition and history to yourself. If you want a price on the car then just go on truecar. Then go on dealerrater.com and find a dealer with good reviews. With all that info in hand you should be able to walk into that dealership armed with your info and it should be fairly straightforward from there.

This post is an excellent example of why you'd never get my money. It's both patronizing and an excuse for not doing the bare minimum of work of even providing a quote. Dealing with salespeople is usually a huge waste of time

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kill me now posted:

I mean, I shotgun email when I'm looking for a car but I always get a copy of the deal before I go in. A dealer in Houston wouldn't give me anything except for "his word" so I told them to gently caress off.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its like something out an art deco piece

I fuckin love it.

However

It is a tragedy that it doesnt feature at least a v12
Lordy that hood length

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Dislike button posted:

This post is an excellent example of why you'd never get my money. It's both patronizing and an excuse for not doing the bare minimum of work of even providing a quote. Dealing with salespeople is usually a huge waste of time

I'm not saying we don't want to do our part, your average salesperson is scraping to get every sale they can. Its that you will have better results with less frustration on your end by doing things that way. But what do I know, you do this once in a blue moon I do it every day. I'm not here soliciting for sales, I'm just trying to give you some insight into a best practice. If anything someone who doesn't know anything is often preferable from a gross profits standpoint for me, but the right way to do things is educate yourself independently from the dealer before you step in the showroom or send an email and you will have a better time of things.

Also you would never know how I feel about you and certainly wouldn't be getting that advice from me if you were actually dealing with me. I am very straightforward and pleasant to deal with so you probably would do business with me.

I'm happy to talk about the ins and outs of dealerships and how they treat their customers all day, but this derail has gone way to far away from the threads topic. All I originally wanted to say is that Auto sales are not going to move to a mfg direct or fully online model any time soon not just because the dealers or car makers don't want to but because of the vast majority of customers not wanting to buy cars that way and that AI is an outlier not the norm.

To get things back on topic did we talk about the new Z4 concept that looks real production ready?

:stwoon:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/z5/2018/bmw-concept-z4-first-look/