Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Danny eating that dumpling is the mvp of the series.

Bananaquiter fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ep 6 Heh, Stick's sword was right at Elektra's throat for a full second.

I totally thought people were half-joking about "We're not so different, you and I."

Go kill the people that you left unconscious earlier!

Oh, that's what people meant by Sigourney Weaver being wasted.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 19, 2017

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
They mention the NYC Avengers 1 attack but does Spiderman exist in this universe?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is set before Peter even got his powers. The Netflix shows cover, at most, a period of 2 years. Peter isn't even Spider-man yet.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The movie/TV ties shouldn't be taken very seriously.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
ep 8 What is Elektra plan? She's trying to kill Matt and embrace the darkness where she feels alive...but also is okay with being with it because he'll be at her side?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

What's the first "We're not so different, you and I" in the history of fiction?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Marvel's Defenders. It's one of those phrases that sound familiar but have never been used, like "that's the beauty of it, it doesn't DO anything"

I made that up, but it's possible.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ep 7: Aren't parking garages where the heroes usually fight mooks? Not the villain leaders? Did all the mooks leave when Elektra killed Sigourney Weaver?

The editing for this fight was so haphazard (because of the old lady I'm sure), I had to back it up when I realized that Colleen was there and I didn't remember her showing up at all.

Did that fight between the heroes and villain leaders have any effect on the plot?

Samizdata posted:

I see it as she/Black Sky has not fully integrated her/it's powers, muscle memory or skills yet. Plus she did defeat Matt, and we don't know how strong she is. Remember Luke's concussion?

Okay, but in truth, her strength level waxes and wanes from scene to scene, whatever's needed.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 19, 2017

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Lycus posted:

Ep 7: Aren't parking garages where the heroes usually fight mooks? Not the villain leaders? Did all the mooks leave when Elektra killed Sigourney Weaver?

The editing for this fight was so haphazard (because of the old lady I'm sure), I had to back it up when I realized that Colleen was there and I didn't remember her showing up at all.

Did that fight between the heroes and villain leaders have any effect on the plot?

ep 7
I think Gao commented on the fight, that they succeeded in delaying rest of the Defenders, so Elektra and Iron Fist have time to fist some walls.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ep 8 Patsy can fight, but she hangs out with Karen instead of being in the fighting sidekicks scene.

"You know nothing."
"I know that I love you."
I guess the Defenders writers are Game of Thrones fans.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 19, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

nooneofconsequence posted:

please retitle the thread "You're the dumbest Iron Fist yet"

Please do this.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Lycus posted:

Ep 8 Patsy can fight, but she hangs out with Karen instead of being in the fighting sidekicks scene.

On one hand, doesn't risk losing an arm. On the other, having to listen to Karen droning on about what it means to be a hero again.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The action sequences are the most inconsistent thing I've seen in ages. They're almost all either Daredevil-tier goodness or completely terrible Iron Fist jump-cut horror.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Narcissus1916 posted:

The action sequences are the most inconsistent thing I've seen in ages. They're almost all either Daredevil-tier goodness or completely terrible Iron Fist jump-cut horror.

Different directors and choreographers for each ep probably. It's especially notable in the season finale, which was just murky shakycam bullshit through and through. If you've got some of the strongest people on the planet how about actually showing it more than 'oh no you punched me back five fee to but I'm still getting up.'

Overall I thought the season was a complete waste of time and the only redeeming moments were ones with JJ. Everybody is written like a complete loving moron, Danny Rand can't act, the cops are either nonexistent (first 4 eps) or just barely in the way to take up screen time (last 4). Weaver was a complete waste of money and talent. I would not be surprised if following seasons either got different show runners, orders cut, or outright cancelled altogether. Netflix is pouring tons of cash into this and is still getting beaten by Agents of Shield in both writing and general cinematography.

Hopefully Punisher ends up being better cause this was just rear end.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

re this stuff getting cancelled: tons of people still watched Iron Fist. My guess would be that the same will hold true for this one.

None of this stuff is probably going to go anywhere, unless this does super, super badly.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

re this stuff getting cancelled: tons of people still watched Iron Fist. My guess would be that the same will hold true for this one.

None of this stuff is probably going to go anywhere, unless this does super, super badly.

I legitimately wonder how many people actually finished it though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Samizdata posted:

For some reason, the intro skip feature only works in the web client and not the Win10 client. It doesn't even show up there...
Well at least yours might not auto-skip the end credits to autoplay some anime about a witch or something.

Not ideal if they put scenes after them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kegslayer posted:

I legitimately wonder how many people actually finished it though.

the article says that there were a good amount of watchers for later episodes, so.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Until the Super Hero bubble pops, I wouldn't expect it to go anywhere. Irrespective of each show's individual quality, Defenders is the first non-film franchise that's managed to tie disparate series together into a greater whole, and people eat that poo poo up.

As for individual quality, I came away satisfied. Weaver was utterly wasted, and the fights were a downright bore at times, but it held my interest. It was enough getting to see Jones, Luke, and Matt bounce off each other and take turns clowning on Danny.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Claire and Matt never exchanged a word, right?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It takes a good long while to get going, but the middle section (3-6?) deliver upon all the promises that The Defenders held.

And then the final two episodes poo poo the bed. Hard.

Where the hell did the budget go? The dragon bone set looked like it was made out of styrofoam. And was I the only one thrown that our heroes never actually throw down with ninjas? Daredevil's second season had a goddamn car chased by literal ninjas with bows and arrows. Instead they just fight like... dudes with sticks. Shaky cam bullshit indeed.

I've got to seriously consider if "heroes throw punches in the dark" is worse than Diamondback, and that should say it all.

And man alive, did they lose the thread with Matt during the finale. Again. He's fighting Elektra but then they talk? And then they fight? And then Matt decides to commit suicide by explosion, for reasons unknown.

That said, a special award should be given for the parking garage fight. That is the most incoherent clusterfuck of an action sequence I've seen in years.

So basically, this ends up sitting roughly next to Daredevil's season second. Some really great material and moments right next to the occasional awful dialogue and nonsensical plot choices. All of which lead to a frankly gently caress-awful finale.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lycus posted:

Claire and Matt never exchanged a word, right?

Uhh, once? I think.

Yeah, in Ep. 7: When the group is debating whether or not to blow up the building, Claire asks him "You're okay with this?" I think that's the only time.

To be fair, Claire spends most of the series in Luke's orbit and once everyone is gathered together things get real busy and there isn't time for any more catching up.

Narcissus1916 posted:

And then the final two episodes poo poo the bed. Hard.

They've got a reputation to maintain. It wouldn't be a Marvel Netflix show if the ending wasn't anticlimactic.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 19, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, the production value on the last episode(s) has always been really bad for some reason: DD1 (back alley), DD2 (roof of a building), JJ (pier), LC (let's not talk about the costume), IF (guess it was whatever, but let's not talk about the parking lot fights in China).

Marvelflix's increasingly bad cinematography, writing, dialogue, fight scenes, and production value make it feel more and more like an FX show. Except we know a lot of the actors are bona fide great actors who just aren't given anything to work with.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

nooneofconsequence posted:

please retitle the thread "You're the dumbest Iron Fist yet"

This really needs to happen.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Elodie Yung looks so great doing martial arts stuff. Can really see that she has a black belt in karate and years of martial arts experience and Finn Jones.. doesn't.

Should have cast her as Danielle Rand.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On episode 2 and god drat S J Clarkson cannot direct for poo poo. Why are there so many awkward dutch angles? Why was that courtroom scene so nausea-inducing? Does it get any better once she leaves?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

On episode 2 and god drat S J Clarkson cannot direct for poo poo. Why are there so many awkward dutch angles? Why was that courtroom scene so nausea-inducing? Does it get any better once she leaves?
Nope. They use a lot of slow-motion in the fight scenes this season, too.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

It's only downhill from there friend.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I thought they were gonna do something crazy with Matt's survival, like he winds up in another dimension or something.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Episode 4 or 5 spoiler I think- I laughed when Jessica told Matt that the others were on the verge of working out his secret. Well Luke, sure. Danny probably still hasn't worked it out.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lycus posted:

I thought they were gonna do something crazy with Matt's survival, like he winds up in another dimension or something.
I have no idea why they would think sticking us with two Elektra cliffhangers in a row would somehow appease the Daredevil audience, but guess they done and did it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ufarn posted:

I have no idea why they would think sticking us with two Elektra cliffhangers in a row would somehow appease the Daredevil audience, but guess they done and did it.

Is it really a cliffhanger? She's alive, Matt's alive, Gao is probably alive too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't know why they went such a boring motivation as "immortality". There's resurrection all over this franchise, and then suddenly they can't do it anymore (Oh no, we ran out of the stuff. Maybe we should have planned for it better instead of wasting some on Meachum and Nobu) just to make it a motive.

And according to the showrunner, the drugs that Gao was selling in DD contained ground up dragon bone, which is even more confusing.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 19, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I am really glad that they're (hopefully) done with the Hand as a primary antagonist for the setting. With the notable exception of Gao, they were consistently disappointing from start to finish.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm only on episode 2, but my favorite thing so far is that you can tell when it's going to be a Luke scene because the music suddenly gets awesome.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So...

The Hand

The Foot

Master Stick

Master Splinter

Hmmm... :420:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

welcome to the 1980's.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Cool, feels good to be back
(Can I say cool? No time paradox?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

you can say awesome, radical, tubular, or cowabunga.